Start by marking “Wizards: Magical Tales From the Masters of Modern Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Wizards: Magical Tales From the Masters of Modern Fantasy

Wizards: Magical Tales From the Masters of Modern Fantasy (Lord Ermenwyr)

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  1,422 Ratings  ·  206 Reviews
Never-before-published stories by Neil Gaiman, Eoin Colfer, Garth Nix, and a magical lineup of writers.

Throughout the ages, the wizard has claimed a spot in human culture-from the shadowy spiritual leaders of early man to precocious characters in blockbuster films. Gone are the cartoon images of wizened gray-haired men in pointy caps creating magic with a wave of their wan
Published May 1st 2007 by Berkley Hardcover (first published January 1st 2007)

Smoke and Mirrors by Neil GaimanFragile Things by Neil GaimanThe Martian Chronicles by Ray BradburyHeroika 1 by Janet E. MorrisThe Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke
Best Fantasy Short Story Collections
42nd out of 417 books — 284 voters
The Gunslinger by Stephen KingLegends by Robert SilverbergThe Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne BishopDeadly Curiosities by Gail Z. MartinColour of Magic - Disc world #1 by Terry Pratchett
Exploring Fantasy
78th out of 112 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Cara Marie
Jul 06, 2007 Cara Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Dark Alchemy wasn't as exciting as I thought it might be. It had a good selection of authors, which is why I got it, and of course what can be wrong with a collection about wizards/witches/mages and so forth. And they were decent stories, but none of them really stunned me. Maybe I have been reading too much science fiction. Fantasy short stories just aren't cutting it.

My favourite was Orson Scott Card's Stone Father. I am not sure if this is entirely on the story's own virtue, because I am a
Aug 02, 2007 Wealhtheow rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Neil Gaiman's "The Witch's Headstone" is a weird little tale of a boy living in a graveyard, surrounded by ghosts--they are also his teachers and only friends. Garth Nix's "Holly and Iron" is a novel take on the Norman conquest and the Robin Hood legend. "The Ruby Incomparable" is another wonderful tale by Kage Baker, and shares many characters with The Anvil of the World. Jane Yolen's "slipping Sideways Through Eternity" actually plagirizes *herself*, which takes doing (it's a terrible, pat, sh ...more
Ben Babcock
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves fantasy. If you have read all of the authors whose stories appear here, then not only are you well read, but you will enjoy the stories in this book. If you haven't read some of these authors, then like me, you'll find a few new names to explore.

I love Neil Gaiman's work, and "The Witch's Headstone," part of his upcoming new book The Graveyard Book, is no exception. It was fun, with that undercurrent of whimsical exploration.

Many of the other stori
Apr 30, 2009 Jag rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Apr 24, 2009 PurplyCookie rated it really liked it
This anthology contains never-before-published stories by masters of fantasy: Neil Gaiman, Eoin Colfer, Garth Nix, and a magical lineup of writers.

Throughout the ages, the wizard has claimed a spot in human culture — from the shadowy spiritual leaders of early man to precocious characters in blockbuster films. Today's wizards are more subtle in their powers, more discerning in their ways, and-in the hands of modern fantasists — more likely than ever to capture readers' imaginations.

The Witch's H
The Witch's Headstone - Neil Gaiman
The beginning might have made more sense if I'd actually read The Graveyard Book

Holly and Iron - Garth Nix
I enjoyed the ending, though I think this story could have fared better as a full length novel. Also, I don't remember Garth Nix's writing to be quite so full of description. Sure, the descriptions are normal for a fantasy authors, for Nix rarely spends much times on descriptions.

Color Vision - Mary Rosenblum

The Ruby Incomparable - Kage Baker
Women wil
Jul 29, 2009 Wendy rated it it was ok
Nineteen authors come together to form a collection of stories filled with wizards, and magical worlds in both ancient and modern times. The anthology kicks off with Neil Gaiman's "The Witch's Headstone" staring Bod, a boy being raised in a cemetery and ends with "Stonefather" by Orson Scott Card about a boy born in poverty with nothing but his abilities to survive in a hostile world.

The main theme is, of course, wizards and how in every age and culture there seems to be different (or maybe not
Dec 30, 2009 Felicia rated it really liked it
I never really loved short story format, but I've been warming up to it since I've been trying to plow through books that have been sitting on my shelf for FOREVER. This compilation had some GREAT entries, all centering around the idea of wizards. Ones I loved the most were by Neil Gaiman, Orson Scott Card, Garth Nix and Kage Baker (who I have only read a few things by, must remedy!) A few were a little simplistic and young-adultish in tone, but still enjoyable. It's a fine line with fantasy/fol ...more
This was a strong collection of stories, though one definitely aimed at a young adult audience. The introductions to the collection (and to each of the authors) could have used some help, as they might as well have simply been a listed bibliography, but the authors selected ranged pretty widely across the SF and Fantasy map and very few of the selections were true clunkers.

For me, the highlights were two stories by authors I had never read before: "The Ruby Incomparable," by Kage Baker, was a fu
Yudhistira Perdana
May 22, 2011 Yudhistira Perdana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magis
Ini buku kumpulan dongeng penyihir pertama yang saya baca.Alasan belinya karena ada nama Neil Gailman,Garth Nix,dan Eoin Colfer;serta Mbak Poppy sebagai pengalihbahasa.Neil Gailman saya kenal lewat Coraline dan Anansi Boy,Garth Nix lewat Sabriel,dan Eoin lewat seri Artemis Fowl.Nama-nama pengarang cerpen lainnya sungguh saya ngga tahu sama sekali.Untungnya,di awal setiap cerpen dikemukakan pula biografi singkat serta karya-karya populer setiap pengarang.

Dari delapan belas cerita pendek dalam buk
Voula  Michela (otl1987)
Nov 12, 2011 Voula Michela (otl1987) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Voula by: My sister
Shelves: 1print
Some of the stories I really loved, some I liked and some I found pointless. Some of them had a deeper meaning that touched me deeply and some of them were adventurous and just fun to read. Overall, I consider this book a very nice collection of short stories. It reminded me of how exciting fantasy books are, which I hadn't read for years.
"The witch's headstone", "The Ruby Incomparable", "Winter's wife" and "Zinder" :Favorites

"The stranger's hands", "The Manticore Spell", "Billy and the wizard"
May 02, 2011 Chelsea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, short-story
The first story in the collection, which also happened to be the first story I read, is “The Witch’s Headstone” by Neil Gaiman, the, as far as I’m concerned, Lord and Master of All Things Fantastical And Mysterious.

“The Witch’s Headstone” later became a chapter in Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book, which I’ve also read and reviewed before. However, I just had to read it again, both because I love Gaiman and because, to be honest, I was beginning to miss that Bod Owens.

The story begins with Bod (short
May 24, 2011 Vicky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy

Fantasy stories ignite the imagination in ways that realistic fiction can not. Characters are larger than life. Conflicts mean life and death – often for an entire race or culture.

In this collection, editors Dann and Dozois, have collected unpublished short stories from a variety of well-known fantasy authors. Each story is about a wizard, but rarely do they appear in the pointed hat and starry cape (like the one on the cover of the book):
Orson Scott Card introduces us to the mages of the eleme
Meski telah dikemas dalam format besar (15,5 x 24 cm), buku ini masih lebih tebal dari rata-rata ukuran novel atau kumpulan cerita. Dengan mengusung nama-nama besar sepert Neil Gaiman, Garth Nix dan Eoin Colfer dan mengedepankan 18 tema magis, low fantasy dan high fantasy, sihir dan peri. Sebuah fiesta kisah dongeng yang cukup mengesankan.

Yang menjadi favoritku, tentu saja Batu Nisan Sang Penyihir dari Gaiman. Kisah Nobody Owens ini menjadi cikal bakal novel The Graveyard Story. Selain itu masih
Steve Cran
These two gentlemen have comiled a colletion of short stories about wizards and and other people who do magic. They have collected at the time it was writen nver before published writing samples fro the likes o Neil Gaiman, Garth Nix, Jane Yolen ,Eoin Colfer and others. The stories are very enterntaining and enjoyable to read.

Stories have such plots as a boy who is raised in a graveyard does a favor for a witch. While out of the graveyard he gets in trouble and the dead witch helps him out. In H
Dan Guajars
Aug 16, 2011 Dan Guajars rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Cuando Luis Saavedra me dio la oportunidad de pedir unos libros por Amazon a su nombre, elegí éste (de los tres que pedí) por dos únicas razones: tenía el cuento de Neil Gaiman que dio origen a la novela El Libro del Cementerio, libro que me encantó y me permitió entender que se puede trabajar el terror y la oscuridad sin caer en lo macabro; y porque uno de los antologadores es Gardner Dozois, de quien leí otra antología hace algún tiempo llamada “La Nueva Space Opera” que removió los cimientos ...more
Dewi Kirana
Jul 22, 2012 Dewi Kirana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indonesian, fantasy, novel
Aku benar-benar kagum dengan imajinasi para penulis di dalam buku ini. Cerita tentang penyihir yang sudah sangat sering kita baca, dengar, atau tonton, bisa mereka ceritakan kembali dengan ide yang tak terpikirkan sebelumnya, unik dan menggugah rasa ingin tahu.

Cerita-cerita favoritku:
Pnglihatan Berwarna - Mary Rosenblum
Permata Tak Terbandingkan - Kage Barker
Kisah Unggas - Eoin Colfer
Zinder - Tanith Lee

Stonefather juga bagus, sayangnya aku capek membaca bagaimana orang-orang selalu mengatakan kal
Althea Ann
Apr 01, 2013 Althea Ann rated it really liked it
While reading this book, I just came across this article:

It's pretty unusual that an anthology ever gets more than 3 stars from me - after all, tastes differ, and in any random selection, there's bound to be a few stories I think are great, and a few that don't do much for me. However, this anthology was, really, really good. I'd say 4.5 stars.

Neil Gaiman - “The Witch’s Headstone”. (2008 Locus Award winner for best Novelette.) The story later tu
Jun 06, 2013 Tish rated it liked it
I only read about half of this book, so my rating is only based on that much of it, plus my impression of the book as a whole. This seemed like a great collection of short stories by some excellent authors, some of whom I have read, others new to me. Those stories I read were good; I think I especially liked the one by Garth Nix. The problem is that I really don't like short stories. They are too short! I like to really sink my teeth into a book and short stories are just over far too soon for m ...more
May 30, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Wizards is, on average, a strong anthology with some very good short stories by contemporary authors known for both fantasy work and science fiction. It does, however, suffer from the weakness that every anthology has: the invariable inclusion of some absolute dogs among otherwise good stories.

High points include Garth Nix's "Holly and Iron," Kage Baker's "The Ruby Incomparable," Jane Yolen's "Slipping Sideways Through Eternity," Tad William's "The Stranger's Hands," Elizabeth Hand's "Winter's
I put this off for a while, as anthologies can be hit-or-miss for me but I ended up liking half of the stories, some of them a lot - which is reasonably rare.

The thing I didn't like about it is that it's one of those anthologies that lists the authors achievements before the story. To me it feels like trying to prove the author's credentials somehow, I prefer to have the story stand by itself and have the author biographies afterwards, or all collected together at the end.
Jan 16, 2014 Lily rated it liked it
Interesting, worth a casual read.

Not necessarily poorly chosen, but good, serious fantasy shorts are hard to find. One of fantasy's most prominent strengths is the immersion of the reader in a whole 'nother world; fantasy usually introduces us to a history, culture, and basic physics that is not our own. With a short, the story has to be very compelling and very original to work in such a brief format.

Neil Gaiman's story, right at the beginning (an excerpt from his novel The Graveyard Book) is o
May 05, 2016 Eleanor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-reads, fantasy
I absolutely loved this collection. From the first story to the last one, Orson Scott Card's Stonefather, I was entranced.

It's only fair that with all the effort the publisher and editor took to create this anthology, I should give it some extra attention. The line up of writers are A-listers and this was a red-carpet affair of a book. I value the fact I could grab it at my local library. The exposure to writers I am not familiar with was really great. I can go out support them as well as the authors who I cherish and have devoted my time to for years.

There's a connecting theme throughout the anthology, or con
Jul 19, 2015 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Having taken a three year break between reading the first half and second half of this anthology, I feel obligated to write a review.

Wizards caught my eye initially because of its title and cover art, but when I noticed Neil Gaiman, Garth Nix, Eoin Colfer and Orson Scott Card in the mix, I knew had to read it. I've decided to write about each of the stories within out of respect to each story and its author, also to revisit the ones I read three years ago.

The Witch's Headstone -Neil Gaiman

Sep 11, 2015 Vorbis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was crazily difficult to find in the goodreads system. Too many books named Dark Alchemy, and apparently not linked up well to any of the authors. But we found it by ISBN so it does exist, and a thousand other people found it too.

I liked a few of these stories, some of them I'd read before as they're excerpts from longer works. But the new author I liked was Kage Baker. I'm not sure I'd choose to read a long story in that style but as a short story about wizards it was pretty adorable.
Berisi 18 kisah fantasi pendek yang ditulis oleh penulis kondang. Tapi ada yang ceritanya lumayan panjang sebenernya sampai bisa dijadiin novel sendiri setebal teenlit, hahaa. Beberapa kisahnya fantantis, banyak yang bikin adem hati, ada yang lucu, juga aneh, terlalu dewasa, bahkan seperti asal-asalan. Ada juga yang ngegantung! Kenapa ga dijadiin satu novel aja sekalian, daripada sekedar cerpen?
Guy Haley
Nov 25, 2015 Guy Haley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short story collections are among the best of books, each a chest full of who knows what treasures. Mostly these are gathered from all over the place, heaps of literary spoils of various provenance. It’s not so often that you get one like this, where each story has been specifically crafted for the collection, like the contents of a cabinet of curiosities…

The 18 authors in the book were asked to write a story about wizards. Perhaps it is the subject matter, but the result is a set of curiously s
Kyle Muntz
Jan 01, 2016 Kyle Muntz rated it it was ok
This is mostly a pretty bad anthology. There are a lot of good authors, a lot of them very good at novel-length, and I liked the idea (there's something about the traditional wizard and variations on it that resonates with me when I think about it abstractly, I don't know--like it's almost never something I enjoy in real stories but in principle I feel like I like the idea), but hardly any of the stories were any good. My favorite in the collection--the Manticore Spell by Jeffrey Ford, which is ...more
Kayla Whitehurst
Oct 05, 2016 Kayla Whitehurst rated it liked it
I generally find it really difficult to rate anthologies, but nothing here really stood out to me. Nothing was terrible either, but overall I got a really "meh" vibe from this book. It is nice to have such a clear theme though - how are we going to solve this? Probably wizards. Nailed it.
  • The Way of the Wizard
  • Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy
  • Year's Best Fantasy
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Thirteenth Annual Collection
  • The Fair Folk
  • The Mammoth Book of Sorcerers' Tales : The Ultimate Collection of Magical Fantasy from Tom Holt, Ursula K. LeGuin, Michael Moorcock, Peter Crowther, Louise Cooper, and many more
  • If I Were An Evil Overlord
  • Firebirds: An Anthology of Original Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • Wings of Fire
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • Happily Ever After
  • Paper Cities: An Anthology of Urban Fantasy
  • Modern Classics of Fantasy
  • Fire (Tales of Elemental Spirits, #2)
  • The Wild Side: Urban Fantasy with an Erotic Edge
  • The Best of Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet
  • The Locus Awards: Thirty Years of the Best in Science Fiction and Fantasy

Lord Ermenwyr (10 books)
  • The Anvil of the World (Lord Ermenwyr, #1)
  • The House of the Stag (Lord Ermenwyr, #2)
  • The Bird of the River (Lord Ermenwyr, #3)
  • Mother Aegypt and Other Stories
  • Year's Best Fantasy 5
  • The Best of Kage Baker
  • Year's Best Fantasy 8
  • Best American Fantasy
  • The Dragon Book: Magical Tales from the Masters of Modern Fantasy

“When your life is all taking, what need to learn courtship? Carcharos’s passion for Jassi Belnarak deepened and darkened with every sleepless night, but it did not keep him from understanding that neither beneficence nor meek wistfulness would win her honestly. Power would have to do, after all; and I think that for the only time in that bad life, Carcharos may truly have regretted the necessity of forcing his will on another person. The moment can't have lasted long, but I think further that it may have been the closest Carcharos ever came to knowing love.” 3 likes
“If sacrificing herself for her husband's sake were to prove the last thing that Jassi ever did willingly for her new master . . . well, then, so be it, however bitter the taste to Carcharos. Pride had always been his substitute for honor, but his pride was so long gone from him that he could barely recall the feel of it. And so be that, too.” 2 likes