Start by marking “Raising Boys with ADHD: Secrets for Parenting Healthy, Happy Sons” as Want to Read:
Raising Boys with ADHD: Secrets for Parenting Healthy, Happy Sons

Raising Boys with ADHD: Secrets for Parenting Healthy, Happy Sons

Written by two professionals who have "been there and done that" with their own sons with ADHD, Raising Boys With ADHD empowers parents to help their sons with ADHD find success in school and beyond. The book covers topics not often found in other parenting guides such as the preschool years and early diagnosis and strategies for teens transitioning to work and college. Fi ...more
Published January 20th 2012 by Prufrock Press

To ask other readers questions about Raising Boys with ADHD, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Boys with ADHD

Entisar Radhi
Jan 06, 2016 Entisar Radhi rated it it was amazing
The first lesson I learned from this book is that the western perception of children's psychological and developmental disorders doesn't differ much from ours. There are still a lot of families that tend to deny the fact that their kid suffers from one of these disorders, there still exists a lot of misconceptions about these cases in some schools and there's still a general hesitation when it comes to consulting a psychologist or using medical drugs exactly like there is in our societies.

I pret
Leah
Apr 23, 2012 Leah rated it really liked it
This was the fourth book I have read about ADHD and it's been the best. Both authors have boys with ADHD and have worked counseling children and their parents for many years. I appreciated the well organized chapters that ended with brief lists outlining the important points and action items. The authors provide more useful information than stories only adding personal experience when it served to provide an example.

I was particularly impressed with the chapters Treatment Options for ADHD, Infan
Angela
Oct 06, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: adhd
Found this book to be very well written, easy to read and full of information. I borrowed this book from the library, but has so much useful information that I will now purchase the book. This is my first book on ADHD, but it really opened my eyes and broke my heart at the same time. It covers elementary year up to teenage years.
Ren
Mar 21, 2012 Ren rated it it was amazing
I thought that this book was really useful not just for parenting boys with ADHD, but for parenting in general.

One of my favourite things about this book was how easy to read it was. I never felt like I was reading a boring textbook on ADHD with pages and pages of text. This book has lots of interesting charts and tips that kept my attention and it's nicely divided into subjects so I never felt overwhelmed.

I will definitly be passing this book along to my teacher friends because it has a lot of
Tara
Oct 25, 2016 Tara rated it it was amazing
One thing that made has separated this book from the rest is that the authors pull from personal experience. It was wonderful to find a text that was educational; but, also, from the parent's perspective.
Robert
May 27, 2015 Robert rated it liked it
This is the first book on the topic that I have read. I can't really assess the book's quality until I've read others of a similar nature. As it stands, it seems to cover details of parenting boys with ADHD in a non-technical manner. Much of the advice given with regards to boys with ADHD seems to be applicable to all parenting, perhaps just more necessary for some boys with additional difficulties.

I was not so favorably impressed with the idea that a boy with ADHD should tell people right away
Karen Li
Jan 27, 2014 Karen Li rated it really liked it
While ADHD presentations are becoming more common in my clinic, I have been searching for an easy to understand the helpful guide for parents. Kids with ADHD- hyperactive subtype diagnoses are sometimes struggling in the school environment both academically and socially because they are simply too interested - IN EVERYTHING at the SAME TIME.
I have a bunch of beautiful parents who have worked so hard at making things work for their children that they are exhausted. To be honest, a session with a
Cheryl
Mar 01, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I have a friends with brothers who have ADD/ADHD, so reading this was really interesting. From the little bits of what I've seen, I can tell it's difficult, and sometimes exhausting. Any kind of book with a purpose to help ease their troubles is awesome. I didn't plan on keeping this book (I didn't plan on winning either! That was awesome.) for myself, but I did want to read it. I can sort of understand the subject more clearly now. YAY knowledge!

Clearly, James W. Forgan and Mary Anne Richey kno
Julie
I am grateful that I read this book. It has truly opened my eyes to understanding the challenges that my son faces, and what we can do to help him meet and overcome those challenges. It is very well written, interesting to read, and easy to understand and apply. Both of the authors have sons with ADHD, and both have professional experience working with boys with ADHD in school and counseling settings. They cover the challenges and concerns for boys with ADHD from preschool through college, and ...more
Morninglight Mama
Feb 03, 2016 Morninglight Mama rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
This is, by far, the best of the many books I've read about parenting children with ADHD, being the most comprehensive and easiest to immediately apply to real life. It's focus on boys with ADHD made it 100% applicable to my life as a parent, and it was eerily on target with describing our experiences at home and with our son in school. I appreciated the fact that it addresses how ADHD can manifest itself throughout a child's life, from preschool through the late teen years. This book has shot ...more
Erik Zweigle
Jan 25, 2015 Erik Zweigle rated it liked it
I found this to be light on specific actions or activities which could be undertaken to help improve a boy with ADHD's lifestyle. It seemed all very common advice - limit TV/video game time, implement 504/IEP plan with school, play to his strengths, get him in sports/outdoors, help him learn skills to cope with his disability.

I skipped the chapter on teenage years since my son is a kindergartener but I doubt I'll hold onto this book long enough to read that section. It just isn't that valuable
Heather Fielden
Apr 20, 2015 Heather Fielden rated it really liked it
This was a great book to start out reading with a new diagnosis... it gave me some great nuggets of insight. It was very informational, and I found myself reading to the questions in my head that I never spoke out loud. There is a large section on teens, and I skipped that for I am still just with a 2nd grader. I am keeping this book, it is highlighted and sticky noted. It felt like there were lots of action steps, I need to go back and re-read.
Megan
Apr 27, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books
This had many good reminders about what my son is going through and how I can help him. I copied a lot of notes down so I can keep going back to them. It's hard to remember some of this when you're in the trenches of dealing with ADHD day-to-day. The phone calls/emails from teachers, the therapist appointments, the nervousness during baseball practice, the trying to stay calm while he's falling apart. I'll review what I learned here and try to do the best job i can for him.
Austine
Feb 21, 2015 Austine rated it it was ok
I think I was looking for something with more concrete ways of dealing with ADHD is teenage boys. I felt like this was more of a how to talk to and use people with in the system. Unfortunately for me I live in a very small town and most individuals will not work with my son like this. I needed something that my family could really use. This just didn't help us in any meaningful way.
Angel
Feb 27, 2014 Angel rated it really liked it
My 7 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD last year and sometimes I feel a bit lost in handling things. This book was helpful and easy to read. It doesn't say "hey, here's all the answers you need, just follow our formula!" but gives insight into what's going on and helpful ideas to manage behavior and help our son.
Kimm
May 16, 2013 Kimm rated it it was ok
I wish I'd had this book about 4 years ago...it's great for someone who knows little about ADHD other than a suspicion that their son has it, but since I've lived it, not as much. With that said, it did have a few things for me to make note of, so worth reading even for the tiny tidbits.
Michelle
Mar 20, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
This had some good pointers but lots of referring to other books which I typically am not to thrilled about seeing when I purchase a book. But I will give credit as there are MANY good tips in here as well.
Rochelle
Oct 15, 2012 Rochelle rated it really liked it
This was a good resource to those who deal with ADHD boys on a day to day basis, whether it is a parent or teacher or other member in the community. Nothing in this book was earth-shattering; most of it was common sense but it's good to have a reminder every now and then.
Catherine
Sep 03, 2016 Catherine rated it liked it
This was preliminary research since the school psychiatrist thinks my son might have ADHD. It was a good overview, which answered most of my questions.
Sharon
Mar 28, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it
This book was pretty on point with its suggestions. I liked that the authors have dealt with these issues personally.
Jaemie
Jun 06, 2016 Jaemie rated it really liked it
Set clear and concise expectations and follow through.

I like how the book divided by age group, so I could just read what I need right now.
Robyn
Apr 25, 2013 Robyn rated it it was amazing
This is a great book with nice short chapters. Lots of helpful stories and 'to do' lists at the end of each chapter to help you put the information into practice. Very helpful and informative.
Susan
Mar 01, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I picked up when we thought my son had ADHD and I couldn't put it down. Really great read, very insightful.
Notaspunkasyou
Sep 15, 2014 Notaspunkasyou rated it liked it
Good if you are just starting out but if you are looking for more ways to deal, then look elsewhere.
Brigid
Nov 26, 2012 Brigid rated it it was ok
The advice in this book is just what I'd think to do--but I'm an anal-retentive, left-brained Virgo. My son is almost my polar opposite, so the advice in this book wasn't helpful for me.
Allison
Feb 16, 2015 Allison rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
There was some good info here on adjustments that could be made at home, but a lot of the book focused on how to deal within the school system, which doesn't help me much at all.
Jennifer Ware
Apr 09, 2012 Jennifer Ware rated it it was amazing
Wow! I needed this 5 years ago! It was borrowed and definitely going to be bought soon. Too much advice that I'll want to refere on later.
Brittany
May 29, 2014 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Great for what I am going through...I'm not gonna lie though I get really emotional when reading because they know what I am going through and they are talking right to me:/
But its helping me:)
Christine E.
Christine E. rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Parenting Children with ADHD: 10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach
  • The Defiant Child: A Parent's Guide to Oppositional Defiant Disorder
  • The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems Into Strengths
  • The Minds of Boys: Saving Our Sons from Falling Behind in School and Life
  • How to Hug a Porcupine: Negotiating the Prickly Points of the Tween Years
  • Transforming the Difficult Child: The Nurtured Heart Approach
  • Autism & Asperger's Syndrome in Layman's Terms. Your Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, PDD-NOS and Other Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs).
  • The Childhood Roots of Adult Happiness: Five Steps to Help Kids Create and Sustain Lifelong Joy
  • The Survival Guide for Kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (And Their Parents)
  • And the Skylark Sings with Me
  • Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents
  • The Mislabeled Child: How Understanding Your Child's Unique Learning Style Can Open the Door to Success
  • Thought Revolution: How to Unlock Your Inner Genius
  • Shut Up About...Your Perfect Kid!
  • How to Raise a Child with a High EQ: A Parents' Guide to Emotional Intelligence
  • FOR THE LOVE OF DAVID