Start by marking “Broken” as Want to Read:
Broken

Broken

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  215 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Eben does what his brother, mob boss Nicky Flannery, tells him, even when he’s not so sure it’s right. Letting Nicky do his thinking for him is a lifelong habit. So is hiding the fact that he’s gay. Then Nicky buys a Hong Kong rent-boy to expand the mob's escort business and Eben's life gets a lot more complicated.

Forced into prostitution, Song Xiu is an unsentimental surv
ebook, 1st Edition, 162 pages
Published September 20th 2011 by Loose ID, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Broken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken

Lauraadriana
Sep 24, 2011 Lauraadriana rated it liked it
This book had certain things that were pretty interesting. I could tell the author is a big fan of yaoi, and that was reflected in the story in a way that worked for me.

This is they story of Eben and Xiu (or Shoe) as Eben calls him. Eben Flannery is the brother of Nicky Flannery one of the most powerful mob bosses in Boston. Xiu is a contracted escort Nicky has brought from Hong Kong. From the moment Eben sees Xiu in the airport he is intrigued. Eben is gay, but in the closet. Xiu is also very a
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Nov 20, 2011 Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* marked it as to-read
Shelves: loose-id
Damn, would you look at that cover? And holy shit mobsters? O_O Yummy
Alissa
Mar 15, 2016 Alissa rated it liked it
*3.5 stars

My first book by this author and I enjoyed it .... to a point. I loved the premise of this story, the MC's were easy to fall in love with and the cover is hot as fuck. But I felt the story was all over the place. I felt some scenes were drawn out unnecessarily long while others too short. I normally don't mind dual POV but in this instance it actually detracted from the story. I felt there were details repeated, well, repeatedly. And then there were times I didn't feel there was enough
Jenre
Sep 28, 2011 Jenre rated it really liked it
Those of you who like flawed heroes are in for a treat with this book because both men have some very un-heroic qualities about them. As the book begins our first hero Eben is nursing wounds on his hands from having beaten a guy the previous day. He gets a phone call from his brother Nicky who runs the family gangster outfit asking Eben to go and collect a man from the airport. He tells Eben that the man is an exchange student from China and so Eben heads off to the airport to collect him. In fa ...more
Valentina Heart
Nov 14, 2011 Valentina Heart rated it really liked it
This review was originally written for The Romance Reviews and can also be found there.

Ever read a book that screamed amazing, but you just didn't feel it? Wonderful characters, great plot line, sweet, adorable and even stupidly brave, but still, something just wasn't clicking. Well, it happened to me here, and I can't stop flipping the rating in my head.

Eben is the muscle for his brother Nicky, the mob boss. He does as he is told without questions, all the while hiding behind his false stupidi
Chippy *Moves Like Jagger* Marco
I read this a while ago and loved it, but I hate writing reviews after a long time has past because it's hard to remember everything, just the general drift of how things went. BUT, the 5 does the speaking because I think I will probably do a re-read, because this was a hot book. Though, it did take a little getting into, but not much. On my to-read-again list.
Simsala
May 28, 2012 Simsala rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m, contemporary, dnf
A nice cup of coffee and a yummy peace of cake would have been the better choice.
The comparison to Yaoi is not an excuse - I`ve read many Yaois that were better than Broken.
Incredibly dumb cardboard characters in a pathetic story...no,thanks!
Heidi Belleau
Sep 22, 2011 Heidi Belleau rated it really liked it
I stayed up all night reading it, and despite my best efforts, couldn't put it down. I really can't give it a more glowing review than that! The characterization of Eben and all the supporting characters was really nuanced and interesting. I loved how complex his relationship with his brother was and genuinely didn't know how things were going to pan out! Immensely readable!
Free_dreamer
May 22, 2015 Free_dreamer rated it did not like it
Shelves: gay-romance
Okay, this book was just stupid. I hated Eben and Xiu wasn't much better.
Eben was the dumbest character I've ever met. His crime boss big brother tells him to pick up a guy from the airport. Says that the guy will tell him he's here with the international student exchange program (or something like that, anyway). What does Eben do? He tells his brother how nice it is of him to take on a Chinese exchange student. *facepalm* As if that wasn't bad enough, when does meet Xiu, who's dressed in a shor
Heather♥
Oct 12, 2011 Heather♥ rated it really liked it
This is a random comment but as a niggle of mine (I know bitch, bitch) the early menage scene caused me to have a few doubts as to whether I would truly enjoy this story after all. I'm not a big fan of random menages unless they end up being in a relationship and then it can be quite hot. Here it just wasn't, but for good reason. They were simply trying out Xiu as the new whore. What I wasn't expecting was for Xiu to be begging for it and quite satisfied at the end (since he didn't want to be th ...more
Charly
Sep 23, 2013 Charly rated it liked it
Too many clichés for me

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 5/10

PROS:
- There’s enough unpleasantness in the early stages of the book that I doubted the author’s ability to bring things to a satisfactory (for me, that means happy) close. But I was pleased with the conclusion.
- For readers who like sex, there’s a decent amount of it here, and it’s pretty descriptive.
- (Disclaimer: I’m not sure whether this is a pro or a con.) Eben’s inability to pronounce
Teresa
I'm finding this hard to rate. On one hand, I really liked Eben. He is sweetly naive despite the fact he knows what Nicky does is wrong and the world he lives in is harsh. I had a hard time reconciling the facets of Xiu's personality though (view spoiler). The pair is sweet together, though I just felt something was missing.
Tj
Sep 06, 2015 Tj rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
A sweet story. Eben is so abused and doesn't even seem to realize it. Xiu is a "junky whore" that has been forced into the life he is living and sold to Eben's brother Nicky. Nicky is a pretty typical "mobster", loves his brother but his "business" comes first. Eben seems really naive even given the fact that he has been a bit sheltered by his brother and his supposed low intelligence. Still it is a lovely written story and the romance is sugary, sweet:)
♥J ♥
Aug 11, 2013 ♥J ♥ rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
This is a difficult book to review, as it had the right plot elements to be good, it had likeable characters and it was told decently enough. It still lacked something for me though. It needed to be more gripping, more sweet, and the sex scenes needed to be hotter.
leigh
May 31, 2014 leigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-bn
Very good gangster/rentboy story with distinctly drawn, heroic characters.

Eben, just turned 21, is an enforcer in a Boston Irish gang run by his older brother, Nicky, who is Eben’s entire world. Xiu, forced into prostitution and heroin addiction in his teens, is the newest acquisition into Nicky’s escort business.

Xiu is younger than Eben, but vastly more worldly. He sees the obstacles to any kind of future between them more clearly even than Eben, who is closeted and at the mercy of his brother
Sammy Goode
Feb 07, 2012 Sammy Goode rated it really liked it
Poetic Justice...that is what happens in this novel, Broken by Jessica Freely...poetic justice. Some might see it as too neatly wrapping up a story...too sweet a happy ever after...an unrealistic outcome to an otherwise incredibly taut, action filled, intense dramatic novel. I call it poetic---the good get living and the bad get what they deserve. Ah...if only life could imitate art more often then we would hear a story such as this every time we opened a newspaper or turned on the television. O ...more
D
4.5

Xiu Song (Shoe) – a 20 year old, strung out junkie…with an enormous sweet tooth. He is forced to pay a debt to Uncle Lao (fucker) through prostitution. Xiu is sold to Nicky Flannery to be contracted/prostituted out to Nicky’s clients.

Nicky Flannery is a pimp and drug dealer with a stable of “girls” that keeps him rolling in the dough. Xiu is the latest edition to the stables that adds some new variety to Nicky’s organization.

Eben Flannery – brother to Nicky…in-the-closet enforcer for the Fl
KV Taylor
Dec 20, 2011 KV Taylor added it
Shelves: romance, lgbtq
I sat down and read this in a few hours tonight straight through, so you know it gets the thumbs up.

Imagine the chaotic, confused lovechild of yaoi manga and The Friends of Eddie Coyle and you're there. There's some massive angst and heavy issues -- drug addiction, organized crime, human trafficking, torture. They're treated with appropriate gravity, but at the same time with a kind of light touch you'd expect from... pretty much what I said up there in the first sentence. That's what makes it t
Det
Feb 17, 2014 Det rated it liked it
3.6

I just felt that there should be more stronger base of loyalty that Xiu and Eben had for each other than what is shown in the story.I know it's weird or something but I was bothered because I felt more of the bond, brotherly love and loyalty of Nicky and Eben, I was saddened for what happened between them. I mean for that kind of strong bond & trust, of years for being always there for each other to be betrayed there should be more in Xiu and Eben's story that I didn't see. (︵)

Despite tha
DL
Nov 01, 2011 DL rated it really liked it
The characters had horrible lives and that misery was not glossed over. Neither were perfect. The romance progressed slowly so it felt possible. I would have been bothered by Eben's sudden raise in IQ points if people hadn't been commenting throughout the story that he was actually much smarter than he acted. His dumbness was a measure of protection against his brother. I do think that the story wrapped up a bit too neatly once the men decided to fight back but this was a romance. There is no re ...more
Meltem Donmez
Sep 02, 2014 Meltem Donmez rated it really liked it
4.5 stars actually... it was good than i expected... i like it when the ridiculously good MC's have their happy endings :)
Darkm
Mar 03, 2012 Darkm rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Very nice book about how meeting the right person can change the shape of someone's life, and for the best. Eben is a good man, but to not break a promise made to his mother when she was dying, he has become a thug bending to his brother whims, even when all he has to do is beat and scare people. Xiu is a prostitute and addicted to heroine, and he doesn't believe his future can hold something more than this. Despite everything they fell in love and manage to build a good future.
I loved the messa
Carolyn88
Oct 11, 2011 Carolyn88 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-romance
At the start I did not know if I really liked this authors style of writting. There were a lot of dream sceens. I was screaming, "Get on with it, get the characters together." Once the characters got together I fell in love with the story and the writting. I ended up staying up all night reading the book. Meaning I started the book when I went to bed, planning to read for a few hours, and when the bedroom got lighter and lighter I realized that I had stayed up all night reading. Messed up my sle ...more
Tamela
I felt so awful for Xiu, forced into such a rough life, addicted to drugs against his will. But he deals, very strong. Eben is a surprise. At first he comes across as almost a simpleton. But really, he just has a very soft heart, a big soul. I enjoyed the story line and very quickly learned to really hate Nicky. I never really 'saw' Eben. I'm so sorry for the way things ended between Eben and Nicky, but it was almost the only way for Eben and Xiu to move forward. Good story. Recommended
Susan
Oct 13, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-read, z-2011
I wasn't sure about this book when I started reading it but I gave it a go because it was the BOM. I ended up really enjoying it. I didn't particularly like Xiu at the start of the story, particularly in the menage scene, but as the story progressed he did grow on me. I found Eben a much more lovable character and who wouldn't love a man who drinks cold coffee! As I was reading, I couldn't see how the story would resolve itself but the ending suited the book - not too sweet.
Kelsey
Aug 18, 2012 Kelsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
Another weird plot/story that was surprisingly good. This author obviously has a talent for taking unlikely characters and relationships and giving them a happy ending. I loved 'Shoe' and Eben a lot.

For most of the book I really couldn't see how they were going to get out of their situations and get together in the end. But Ms. Freely made it happen. It was a very satisfying read.
SueM
A good to very good M/M romance novel about two men who have been forced into a lifestyle not of their own choosing. Both men have been damaged by their past, but as they slowly become closer to each other, they become aware that perhaps with each other's help, they can escape the ties that bind them to their current roles. It is a novel of self growth, courage and love.
Shannon
Jan 08, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shannon by: Ann Roberts
This was a tough book to read. And not because anything about it was bad. The writing was great, the story super interesting, it was just hard to see them kept apart. Two really sweet guys in what seemed to be an impossible situation. I stayed up way too late to read this which says a lot. I really, really got sucked right it. Great read! :D
Yvonne
Dec 20, 2011 Yvonne rated it liked it
I liked it but it felt a little like fan fiction. It's seems Yaoi influenced with the main character Eben loving Manga comics and the rent boy Song Xiu apparently looking exactly like a Manga character. Everyone seemed like characters too with the typical bad guys, good guys roles well defined and the action a little cartoonish.
Ilona
Jun 12, 2013 Ilona rated it it was amazing
Interesting, Intriguing, Intense all could be used for this story. Both main characters fit the title of Broken but at the same time they are both good people caught in a bad situation. I loved how they interacted and how the secondary characters were equally well written and helped make this a story I enjoyed reading immensely.
  • Hunger (Chicken Ranch, #1)
  • Nobody's Hero (Superpowered Love, #3)
  • Rentboy
  • Easy
  • Spell Cat (The Aloysius Tales, #1)
  • Cake (Blood Nation, #1)
  • Shattered Heart
  • Altered Heart (Mated Heart and Soul, #1)
  • Hajiri's Pet (Midnight Rain #1)
  • By His Rules
  • When I Fall (An Uncommon Whore, #2)
  • In the Darkness
  • Better
  • Truthful Change
  • precious_boy
  • Yakuza Pride (The Way of the Yakuza #1)
  • Plunder (Spoils of War, #2)
  • No Greater Love (Sons of Aphrodite, #1)
Jessica Freely can't resist a wounded hero. As a reader and a writer, her favorite stories are of soul mates finding redemption in each other's arms. Married to the love of her life in a beautiful relationship based on mutual goofiness, Jessica also warps minds as an instructor in Seton Hill University's Writing Popular Fiction MFA program. Her dog, Ruthie, doesn't seem to care that Jessica's an a ...more
More about Jessica Freely...