Start by marking “Daredevil, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Daredevil, Volume 1

Daredevil, Volume 1 (Daredevil Vol. III #1)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  5,382 Ratings  ·  303 Reviews
THE DEVIL IS REBORN. RENEWED. RESURRECTED. With new enemies, new friends ... and that same old "grinnin' in the face of hell" attitude, the Man Without Fear is back in action and leading with his face! Mark Waid (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, IRREDEEMABLE, RUSE) joins neo-legendary artists Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin for a new spin on Daredevil that will leave you gasping for air ...more
Published February 8th 2012 by Marvel Enterprises, Inc. (first published January 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Daredevil, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daredevil, Volume 1

Daredevil Legends, Vol. 2 by Frank MillerDaredevil, Volume 1 by Mark WaidDaredevil Legends, Vol. 3 by Frank MillerDaredevil Legends, Vol. 1 by Jeph LoebDaredevil, Volume 5 by Mark Waid
The Best of Daredevil
2nd out of 101 books — 47 voters
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanWatchmen by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanSaga, Volume 2 by Brian K. VaughanY by Brian K. Vaughan
Graphic Novels that are Quality
70th out of 652 books — 505 voters

More lists with this book...

Mar 10, 2015 Jeff rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix, buddy-reads
Four and a half stars!

Growing up, Spider-Man was always my favorite super hero and somehow, Daredevil was a close second. Was it the cool red suit with no eye holes? Was it the fact that Daredevil was blind, but had super senses because a radioactive canister fell on his noggin when he rescued Stan Lee from getting hit by a truck? Was it because he has a way with the ladies? (Hey, I was seven years old) Was it because he was a lawyer? (No!) Was it because I could use my sister’s jump rope as a
Nov 04, 2014 Anne rated it liked it
Daredevil hasn't always been my favorite. Or even one of my favorites.
I didn't necessarily dislike him, but the was just something meh about the character...

In a nutshell, he's always seemed broody, moody, and deeply depressed.
And Catholic. Don't forget the Catholic Guilt.

He's the guy that makes Spider-man look like he's got all the luck.
It's not like he was a whole lotta fun to read about, you know?

And then there was that movie.
Oh. My. God.

Don't worry Daredevil. Batman's up next.

Read Waid'
May 01, 2014 Kemper rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhero, 2014
This is the kind of stuff that makes comic fans a bunch of disgruntled malcontents who can never be happy.

I’ve ranted before about how Marvel has made a hash out of it's volumes and numbering systems making it increasingly difficult for someone working through the trade collections to read stuff in order. I knew that Mark Waid had done a new phase of Daredevil, and it’s something I was curious about so when I ran across this collection labeled Volume 1 at the library, I grabbed it and gave it a
Dan Schwent
Jul 15, 2016 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it
1 - Daredevil prevents a hit at a mafia wedding and goes up against The Spot. Also, his identity being exposed is threatening his legal profession as Matt Murdock.

I haven't read a modern age Daredevil tale since Kevin Smith was writing it. So far, I'm digging Mark Waid's not-as-grim take on Daredevil since old Hornhead has been through the wringer pretty consistently since the Frank Miller run.

I like how Waid and company portray Matt's blindness and heightened senses.

2 - Daredevil has a brawl w
Jan 12, 2016 Terence rated it liked it
Matt Murdock is still dealing with the fallout of the world learning that he's Daredevil. Despite his denials and information claiming otherwise, most people believe he is Daredevil. Which makes things complicated for his professional life.

I've never read a Daredevil comic before despite knowing the basics of Daredevil. The whole he's blind, but his super senses make him a super hero truly never appealed to me. After reading this I'd have to say my opinion hasn't changed.
I don't see how having s

Now, I will admit that the first “Daredevil” comic I had actually picked up was Frank Miller’s “Daredevil: The Man without Fear” comic, which I enjoyed immensely! Now, I am diving into Mark Waid’s portrayal of the legendary superhero Daredevil and I will admit that I found this version of “Daredevil” pretty interesting so far!

What is this story about?

After the events of “Shadowland,” Matt Murdock has finally returned to New York City at his old law firm. But due to outing him
Sam Quixote
Feb 03, 2013 Sam Quixote rated it liked it
In this revamp Mark Waid rejects the popular version of Daredevil as this overly dark and gritty character and returns him to his 1960s roots with a carefree attitude, smiling as he takes down bad guys, and basically being an upbeat and cheerful sort of chap who enjoys being both Matt Murdock and Daredevil. This is a refreshing take on the character especially as dark and gritty is really something that’s run its course in superhero comics and is generally something I’m sick of reading about.

When you think of Marvel's answer to Batman, you probably automatically think Iron Man. And why wouldn't you? Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne are both incredibly intelligent individuals who use their mental ability to compensate for a lack of "super power".

For whatever reason, in my eyes, I always saw Daredevil as Marvel's answer to Batman. They've both lost parents due to the actions of the criminal element, they both operate in seedy surroundings (Hell’s Kitchen & Gotham City) and both series
Dec 22, 2014 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Waid's run on Daredevil came highly recommended from people who know something about Daredevil. Cool, I'll give it a shot. And I'm glad that I did.

I went into this with only the most basic of background knowledge into the character. Luckily, I didn't need it. This kind of seems like a new start for Daredevil, so it's a good place for a noob to jump in. Apparently, Matt Murdock was, at some point, outed as Dardevil. Which he still denies whenever asked, something that becomes a sort of running ga
Nicolo Yu
Oct 20, 2014 Nicolo Yu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mark Waid and his artistic collaborators in Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin bring us a refreshing take on the Man Without Fear. Waid returns Daredevil to its swashbuckling roots which is light-years away from the Frank Miller inspired stories that came after Miller's seminal run.

I like this new direction very much. Superheroes need to move away from the dark and gritty era that has influenced mainstream books for more than a quarter century.

So how did Waid deal with the fallout from the misguide
Dec 27, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
Waid is hit-and-miss for me. This time around he's more hit than miss but doesn't inspire the giddy, gleeful reaction when I'm thoroughly enjoying a comic. It probably doesn't help that Rivera/Martin's art doesn't do much for me.

A cleaned-up, newly-"sane" (as Murdock can ever be, at least) and positive-thinking lawyer is certainly one way to relaunch a character like DD. Give the guy a mostly clean slate, a new attitude and a way to challenge his character without fists flying every frame.

The mo

***Buddy read with the Shallow Readers! This week's criteria: Daredevil is all red, even in his ginger hair***

Matt Murdock is not the superhero for me. And I'm kind of sad about this.

Daredevil definitely had some badass moments in this volume. His skill is obvious and his senses are so trained that it's insane. I also appreciate him as a lawyer (which is not something that is said about lawyers very often, if at all).

But.... Maybe I just don't know enough about Matt. Maybe I need more background
Oct 19, 2013 Gavin rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I wanted to like this more than I did. However, I started liking it more towards the end of the volume...I think it's when I got adjusted to this Daredevil not being flying fists and fury. The art also seems a little odd, like it's going for 1970s retro yet with day-glo colours. I haven't read enough DD to have a good handle on things, I only read a few of the Brubaker volumes, and I'm always wanting to get more into Daredevil.
That being said, I think this is a great start. Matt Murdock is one o
What I liked about this story was
1) The art of Rivera/Martin
2) Matt taking on the young blind boy as a client
3) Klaw and the confrontation with him when DD (view spoiler)

I picked this book up out of continuity and need to go back and read about when Matt was (view spoiler) as this story continues after that. I would like to read the story arc of when (view spoiler) leading into him dealing with t
Apr 05, 2015 Nikki rated it liked it
I don’t really know much about Daredevil, beyond the fact that his real name is Matt Murdock, and that he’s blind. This comic makes a reasonable introduction, though it’s a bit obvious that it is an introduction — there’s a lot of ‘as you know, Bob’ type exposition about how Matt can see, his limitations and his background. Apparently this takes a turn out of a gritty trend for Matt, which it sort of flags up in the story by Matt going on about how he has to do this to cope. It feels a bit clums ...more
Sep 01, 2012 Kurt rated it it was amazing
After decades of writers putting Matt Murdock through the wringer, tearing him down and building him back up, Mark Waid takes the book in a shocking and revolutionary direction - he lets Daredevil smile. This collection of stories is fascinating and joyful and a little terrifying all at once, as Matt Murdock returns to Hell's Kitchen with a fresh outlook on life and a refusal to acknowledge that in the last five or ten years, his secret identity has been made public and he's personally put his n ...more
Chris Lemmerman
Feb 08, 2012 Chris Lemmerman rated it it was amazing
After suffering through over 100 issues of depressing storylines that dragged him to the deepest bowels of hell and back (sometimes literally), Daredevil steps back into the light with a new creative team, a new lease on life, and some good fun stories to go with it.

Mark Waid breathes new life into the crimson clad crimefighter as he tries to put his past behind him and get back to his roots. It's a fantastic change after so many dark and dingy storylines and rings true to character as well; it'
William Thomas
Mar 26, 2012 William Thomas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: believe-the-hype
Frank Miller might just become a forgotten thing of the past if Mark Waid keeps up this kind of work on DD. I'd counted Waid out years ago, when he was doing all that work for Crossgen, but it looks like I couldn't have been more wrong. This is just too good a book to be true.

Not that I'm comparing them to one another, they aren't comparable in any way other than their brilliance. Frank Miller turned DD into a seedy, gritty, dark, avenging anti-hero only a few steps away from the ledge that Fra
Feb 08, 2012 Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Daredevil's back! After over a decade of being beaten silly by "gritty" and "street-level" drama and tragedy, starting with Kevin Smith, through Brian Michael Bendis and Ed Brubaker, ending with Andy Diggle (and suffering through a cruel mini-series by the name of Daredevil:REBORN), Daredevil gets a fresh start and a new/old attitude: that of a swashbuckling, [and dare I say] happy-go-lucky hero.

Mark Waid's been getting some much-deserved praise for his work on this series. He seems to "get" Dar
Feb 26, 2012 Aaron rated it really liked it
Such a breath of fresh air after the garbage that was Andy Diggle's run. Waid takes Daredevil back into the light (albeit a little abruptly) for 6 very fun, stylish issues.

The art is very specific, which may be a weird way to describe it. But I like that Rivera is actually going for something unique. It's got some Tim Sale mixed in with some more classic John Byrne style stuff, and comes across a little more classy than previous rough, noirish Daredevil art.

Reading this made me miss the harsh at
Nancy O'Toole
Nov 11, 2014 Nancy O'Toole rated it it was amazing
With the new Daredevil Netflix series coming up, I found myself coming to the stunning realization that I didn't know all that much about Matt Murdock. Sure, I had seen the not-so-great Ben Afleck movie, but as I comic book reader I had never picked up a Daredevil title, and had seen The Man Without Fear make little more than cameos in the other comics I was reading. Having heard so many positive things about Mark Waid's run, I decided to try it out.

And I am so glad that I did. This isn't just g
Althea J.
Mar 14, 2013 Althea J. rated it really liked it
I'm usually a DC girl but I have fallen in love with Mark Waid's Daredevil. It's been just what the doctor ordered -- the best antidote to the pervasive doom and gloom of the DC titles I follow. This iteration of Daredevil is lighthearted and fun! And a great introduction to the Daredevil character.
Brandon Forsyth
Dec 30, 2014 Brandon Forsyth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The rumours are true - no matter how much you like dark, broody Daredevil, you will love this book! Clean, smart art and a fun pop sensibility to the writing make this feel like good wholesome fun.
Apr 12, 2012 Sonic rated it really liked it
I almost can't believe how much I liked this! Fortunately the cover art thrilled me more than my dread at seeing Waid's name on the cover.
This was the guy who wrote the aptly named "IRREDEEMABLE" after all.

But after Andy Diggle successfully killed the momentum and mystique that had been built up by Bendis & Maleev and also Brubaker & Lark. Diggle made the first UNREADABLE DAREDEVIL comics in years! Culminating in that awful unfunny joke "SHADOWLAND" (I could not even finish the Daredevi
Apr 06, 2013 Burgoo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013, comics
“It has been a miserable last few years and every time I thought I’d finally hit bottom, God somehow found me a bigger shovel. All this pain and all this loss and…and I just can’t bear the weight of it anymore and stay sane. I know that. So this is the way I’ve decided to be.”

Matt Murdock’s speech to Foggy is perhaps Mark Waid’s statement of intent with his run on Daredevil. Acknowledge the grimdark past of the comic, while offering a dramatic change of pace and tone. It’s perhaps a soft reboot
May 08, 2016 Logan rated it liked it
Okay. So I keep hearing that Mark Waid's Daredevil, is amazing, its the messiah of Daredevil comics! To me not really, its overrated! So the this volume has two stories in it, first one has Matt Murdock, struggle to work a case, since in this volume, everybody knows Matt Murdock is Daredevil! (This is a twist, but it doesn't really work for me really), Second story is of blind kid who was fired and Matt has to help him. Now what Waid does that i do like, is theirs always an interesting twist at ...more
Jan 06, 2015 Brandon rated it really liked it
Having never read any Daredevil stories before outside of guest appearances in Spider-Man comics, I never really got into him. However, Mark Waid gives the guy a tremendous voice and makes him distinct. His flip demeanor contrasts with his lawyer's mindset, making this first arc really something else. The best part about it was that I didn't feel lost reading it; clearly, Daredevil's secret identity was compromised prior to the beginning of the series, and Matt Murdock is in the process of tryin ...more
Sierra Dean
May 05, 2015 Sierra Dean rated it really liked it
Aside from a name-change spelling part way through (Kirstin to Kirsten, tsk tsk editors), this was an enjoyable place to jump into a newer Daredevil run. It touches on issues from his past without making a reader feel completely lost, but an existing reader wouldn't be bored.

Well done. Going to try Waid's Marvel Now vol 1 next to see how they compare.
Jun 23, 2015 Travis rated it really liked it
After watching Daredevil the tv show, I had to read something Daredevil. So I picked this because it was newer and had a high rating. Yes, I did the thing. The rating thing.

Anyway! I was expecting this to be dark and... edgy? Nope. It really wasn't. This was lighter, with vintage feels. Ya feels? It worked well though.
Daredevil is an inspiration to us all:

Especially to blind kids. Check out this blind kid playing football...

Nov 11, 2015 Hysterical93 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Después de haberse tragado todo lo que venía siendo el Daredevil que Miller había reinventado con el Man Without Fear. Disfrutando muchísimo del segundo volúmen, desde Guardian Devil hasta los números finales de Brubaker, habiendo pasado por la genial etapa de Bendis... la verdad es que ha costado comenzar con lo nuevo de Waid.

Ahora bien, era verdad que el personaje llevaba una carga cada vez más y más y más oscura. Toda trama anterior debía de basarse en el desgaste tanto físico como mental de
2013 Hub Reading ...: Daredevil v1 by Mark Waid 2 13 Mar 16, 2013 12:48PM
  • Thor: God of Thunder, Vol. 1: The God Butcher
  • Journey into Mystery: Fear Itself Fallout
  • Daredevil Legends, Vol. 3: The Man Without Fear
  • Swamp Thing, Volume 1: Raise Them Bones
Mark Waid (born March 21, 1962 in Hueytown, Alabama) is an American comic book writer. He is best known for his eight-year run as writer of the DC Comics' title The Flash, as well as his scripting of the limited series Kingdom Come and Superman: Birthright, and his work on Marvel Comics' Captain America.
More about Mark Waid...

Daredevil Vol. III (7 books)
  • Daredevil, Volume 2