Start by marking “Hitmaker” as Want to Read:
Hitmaker

Hitmaker

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  145 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Much has been written about Tommy Mottola, one of the most powerful, visionary, and successful executives in the history of the music industry. He discovered, developed, and launched the careers of many superstars, including Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Shakira, Jennifer Lopez, and Gloria Estefan and is credited with creating the "Latin Explosion." He has had the privilege o ...more
Published January 29th 2013 by Grand Central Publishing (first published February 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hitmaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hitmaker

Mediaman
May 03, 2013 Mediaman rated it it was ok
Mottola sings his own praises in this long-winded but lightly-detailed life story that focuses mostly on his corporate work. The book starts out with promise, written in a self-effacing style in which he takes blame for his mistakes and even says he doesn't recall exact conversations (refreshing compared to other autobiographies). But once he gets some power the tone of the book changes to him over-praising his ability to pick artists and hits. The guy was good, but not as good as he writes hims ...more
Andoni
Feb 19, 2013 Andoni rated it it was amazing
This book was such an exciting read that it was hard for me to put it down. The book is roughly 400 pages and I finished it in 8 days. While its content might be a 4 out of 5, it always keeps the reader interested and is written very honestly and sincerely, so because of that I gave it a 5 out of 5.

It is certainly not a traditional autobiography which can sometimes drag on a little too long about period of the main characters life, which the reader may or may not find useful or interesting. This
Derek Neighbors
Mar 07, 2015 Derek Neighbors rated it it was amazing
I love music history. Tommy is full of great music stories. That alone endeared me to this book. I expected it to be much more about the music industry and less stories about Tommy and the artists he worked with at Sony. Imagine my delight that not only did it have a unique take on the music industry, but also all these great insider views about artists I grew up loving.

I am glad to report while there was some chatter about his relationship with Mariah, it didn't dominate the book and was always
Mike
Oct 30, 2013 Mike rated it liked it
Inside baseball of the music industry, as told by the head of Sony music in the 1990s as they built the leading market share in the business. Self-serving? Of course.

Mottola owes a great deal of his success to the fact that he tried to make it as a singer (T.D. Valentine!). Despite the fact that he didn't make it, he gained an understanding for how the process worked, the creative/recording process and the publicity process. He related to the talent in a way that most execs could not (similar t
Bob Schnell
Tough call on this one. I enjoyed the first third of the book, basically right up until he meets Mariah Carey. After that it is all about artists I dislike, Mr. Mottola's "I told you so" attitude and playing the blame game. I especially took exception to his pronouncement that record stores (namely Tower) could've saved themselves by diverting all resources to online sales. He conveniently forgets that Sony and the rest were unwilling to license music downloads to record stores (just like eBook ...more
Tracey Cabrera
Apr 06, 2015 Tracey Cabrera rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a really good read. He was always behind the scenes, so it was nice to hear his story. I think he's very clever and did amazingly well in his career.
Michele Devinney
Mar 17, 2013 Michele Devinney rated it really liked it
I was a Tommy Mottola fan as a kid, only because he was the manager for Daryl Hall & John Oates. I was stunned when he ended up being the head of CBS/Sony Music and even more surprised when he married Mariah Carey. I'm not a Mariah fan, but his side of the marriage was more interesting than I thought it would be--and less tacky than it could have been. Also fun to read about the changes in the music industry over the years (which is a favorite topic of mine for reading anyway). But I still m ...more
Christine Grant
Feb 14, 2014 Christine Grant rated it liked it
Self-aggrandizing? Yes. Self-promoting? Yes. Entertaining? Yes!
Jamie Lyon
Jan 04, 2014 Jamie Lyon rated it liked it
Better than expected, but he does spend a little too much time trying to rationalize his relationship with Mariah Carey. For a man who tells you over and over again how many artists were on his label, he only ever mentions half a dozen. Blah.
Kyle Moon
May 24, 2013 Kyle Moon rated it liked it
While listening to the history of the business side of the music industry was interesting as well as some of the artist stories, I didn't really enjoy this book. I listened to it so I'm not sure if it was the reader (Chazz Palmintieri) or if it was the author. I can only recommend this book if you are really interested in the the music business. It seems it was primarily written as a response to critics.
Joe Rodeck
Jul 16, 2013 Joe Rodeck rated it liked it
He's obnoxious; bragging about scoring on a chick "Not just a 10, but a 20," and "I've always had elephant balls." His marital failure with Mariah Carey; I wish he'd just say that he shouldn't have married a girl young enough to be his daughter in the first place.

Nevertheless, as far as rock and roll significa goes, there's lots of behind the scenes history and fun trivia.
Hamoon
Feb 26, 2015 Hamoon rated it it was ok
save your time and avoid this dull, uninformative book.
Lawrence
Jul 20, 2013 Lawrence rated it it was ok
Shelves: music, business, biography
I'm a fan of biographies, business books and music industry books, but Mottola's story is just not that interesting. That said, he grinds far fewer axes than I would have expected. If you know a bit about his reign and era of prominence in general you know there is a better, more insightful book to be written. Not a must-read but worth the day or to it will take to blow through.
Keely
Jun 26, 2013 Keely rated it it was ok
No question that he is a dynamic, impressive, brilliant man, but book makes him out to be a little too much in love with his own accomplishments, often at the expense of other key figures. For example, no mention of Freddie DeMann, who managed Michael Jackson and Madonna during the most important years of their careers.
Karen Suglia
Mar 31, 2013 Karen Suglia rated it really liked it
Interesting "inside" read. Tommy is definitely a self-made man but it didn't hurt that he knew a lot of people through his connections. He walks a careful line not to put individuals in a negative light and still reveal what was going on behind the scenes.

There is a lot of money in entertainment, no doubt.
Mikey
Dec 01, 2014 Mikey rated it really liked it
Love these books about the music industry, and this one was so much better than Clive Davis' brag book about his legacy and his annual Grammy parties. Good stuff and learned a little bit more about Tommy Mottola's impact on the music biz and how he went from managing Hall & Oates to running Sony's music department.
Juliana
Oct 03, 2014 Juliana rated it really liked it
I wanted to read this, because I am a huge Mariah Carey fan. He did not speak badly of MC at all. I thought this was a good read.
Jill
Mar 12, 2013 Jill rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
The book starts with the childhood and moves to the present, focusing on the career of Tommy Mottola. While the writing style is not as engaging as a quickly read novel, it is better than dry facts compiled into a long report.

This book contains swearing.
Felecia Andrews
Jan 03, 2014 Felecia Andrews rated it really liked it
I learned so much about the music business and about my favorite artists.
Janine
Jan 02, 2015 Janine rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It told the story of the record industry's rise from vinyl to downloads, and from Elvis to the present. Didn't realize how many artists Tommy was instrumental in discovering and managing.

A must read for music fans out there
John Herrick
Dec 30, 2014 John Herrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I always love reading the perceptions and thought processes behind the decisions of these media presidents. We think a lot alike in terms of creative development, so I devour these when I can get my hands on them.
Tony Florentino
Apr 21, 2013 Tony Florentino rated it liked it
A little self-centered (shocking!), but some cool insight into the cruelties of the music biz from a guy who lived it. And ran it. And whiffed on the whole digital thing. But a must read for anyone who's into music!
Reyzhon Domingo
Mar 29, 2013 Reyzhon Domingo rated it liked it
It was cool. a little bit too much about Mariah Carey. Great for anyone thinking about going into the music business. It was nice for an autobiography. Tommy T is THE MAN!
Kathlene Rosier
My true rating is about 3.5. Fun to get the behind the scenes. Some of it dragged a bit.
Cathy
Mar 02, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it
I terrific look back in time & change of the music industry! Mottola truly is a music legend!
Jeff
Jul 14, 2014 Jeff rated it liked it
I can't say much except I read it, I enjoyed and in a few months I'll probably forget it.
James
Sep 06, 2013 James rated it it was ok
Self-absorbed narcissist gives his side of his successes, blames others for his failures.
Deanna
May 19, 2013 Deanna rated it really liked it
A great read about Mr. Mottola's life. Love this man!
Robin
Nov 05, 2013 Robin rated it liked it
Guy's pretty full of himself.
Carolyn Silver
Carolyn Silver marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
  • Prince
  • The Book of Luke: My Fight for Truth, Justice, and Liberty City
  • The Vibe History of Hip Hop
  • Best Music Writing 2011
  • Deadly Little Secrets: The Minister, His Mistress, and a Heartless Texas Murder
  • Stumbling Toward Applause: Misadventures in Entertainment
  • Elvis Presley (Unseen Archives)
  • And It Don't Stop: The Best American Hip-Hop Journalism of the Last 25 Years
  • Yanni in Words
  • Nowhere with You: The East Coast Anthems of Joel Plaskett, The Emergency and Thrush Hermit
Thomas Daniel "Tommy" Mottola is an American music executive, co-owner of Casablanca Records in a joint venture with the Universal Music Group. He is the ex-husband of Mariah Carey and is married to Mexican singer Thalía. He headed Sony Music Entertainment, parent of the Columbia label, for nearly 15 years.

Tommy Mottola entered in the music scene in the mid 60s as a recording artist for CBS Record
More about Tommy Mottola...