The Other Side of Suffering: The Father of JonBenet Ramsey Tells the Story of His Journey from Grief to Grace

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  37 reviews
The untold story of how John Ramsey survived unspeakable tragedy and learned to hope again.

Like the biblical Job, John Ramsey had it all-wealthy, social position, a loving family. And like Job, Ramsey was destined for great affliction, as many of the most precious things in his life were cruelly taken from him.

First came the death of his eldest daughter in a car accident...more
Published March 14th 2012 by FaithWords

Ariel
I read the Death of Innocence written by John Ramsey and his wife Patsy. In the book they described the murder of their daughter JonBenet and their Christian faith. Their book along with FBI profiler, John Douglas's account of JonBenet's murder in The Cases that Haunt Us have led me to the conclusion that a miscarriage of justice has been done to the Ramsey family. Later developments in DNA evidence has only gone on to support the conclusion that the murder was committed by an unknown person who...more
David Crumm
Spiritual Truths Behind the Media’s JonBenet Ramsey Tale

Here’s one more shocker about the Ramsey murder case: Just when John Ramsey thought he had suffered more tragedies than Job, his deepening Christian faith led him to spend several months serving the poor in India. That’s where he really saw the nature of suffering first hand. It’s all part of his powerful new memoir that, as a journalist who has watched this story unfold for decades, is clearly the most important insight we’ve seen in this...more
Mike
A truly incredible story of courage, perseverance and faith. I highly recommend this book.
Gail Welborn
John Ramsey, father of late JonBenet Ramsey found murdered in the basement of their family home, collaborates with award-winning author Marie Chapian to “…tell the story of his journey from grief to grace…” in “The other side of Suffering.”

John and Patsy Ramsey appeared to have it all—loving marriage, healthy children, affectionate, close family, wealth, career, social position–their lives mirrored the American dream. “What could happen that a good job and money couldn’t handle,” writes John.

Ho...more
C.C. Cole
Like most of the country, I remember the JonBenet Ramsey case and followed the media circus and saw the tabloids at the grocery counter. I didn’t know what to think until I saw an interview with John and Patsy with Bill Kurtis, and years later read the case in detail on a true crime site. Obviously the case is unsolved, none of us were there, so all we as the audience have is opinion. I don’t believe the Ramseys killed their daughter.

What I liked about Mr. Ramsey’s book is what he what he brough...more
Vicki
I learned so much about the Ramsey family from reading this book. The “real” story, not the story the media gave us. I won’t even go into my thoughts about the media. They aren’t good.

I now have a better picture of the Ramsy’s as a family, where they lived, how their family life was, and it makes my belief that none of them had anything to do with what happened to JonBenét. I think the police and the media dropped the ball big time on this one!

I followed this story from the very beginning and my...more
Leigh
I admit I was one of the ones who have sometimes thought maybe the Ramseys were guilty, even after they were formally cleared...but after reading this book, all doubts have been put to rest forever. This is a wonderful Christian guide to putting your life back together after a tragedy or loss, while leaning on God. John Ramsey has suffered more loss in his life than anyone should have to bear...and this book is about his journey back to peace and happiness. It is beautifully written and I highly...more
I read this book because I appreciate the author, having read "Of Whom the World Was Not Worthy" many, many times. It was fascinating! Not that we don't know how much our news media chews and feeds on any lurid tidbit with little regard for actual truth and REPORTING NEWS, but really, WE DON'T KNOW just how far down that slippery slope we have fallen. We are spoon fed whatever will titillate, satiate the public's appetite for trash (while our world crumbles and we watch, transfixed by these dram...more
Elise
After their daughter's murder in December of 1996, the Ramsey's were placed under a microscope, and their lives were turned upside down. As if facing the senseless loss of their six year old daughter wasn't enough, the Ramsey's found themselves entangled in the web of media storm that tried and convicted them in the court of public opinion. The Ramseys quickly became the most hated couple in America, and many to this day, still believe that they got away with murder. Newly tested DNA evidence of...more
Fran
i no longer think he killed her, but i still don't really know what to make of the entire situation. so many details that still don't add up for me--- and i guess that's why it's still an unsolved case. i wish so badly that there will be a conviction in my lifetime. i have to know!!!!!!

overall, this was an interesting read, as long as you are okay with the fact that a good portion of the book is about his relationship with god and his faith. as somebody who's not religious at all, some of these...more
Tom Dye
On Christmas night 1996, six-year-old JonBenét Ramsey was violently murdered in the basement of her Boulder, Colorado, home while the rest of her family slept upstairs in their beds. Her father, John Ramsey, was placed under an umbrella of suspicion as being her killer. Her mother, Patsy Ramsey, who was battling ovarian cancer at the time, was publicly placed under that same umbrella. The Other Side of Suffering is John Ramsey’s story of the tremendous suffering and heartache he has endured in h...more
Nickolecox

Just finished johns book he's a real life Jobe from the bible no one should have to endure so much but he has and still lives on his life one day at a time I don't personally know him but have met him in passing and. Briefly was in a bible study with pasty sweet people they seemed pleasant to me . No one will ever know their suffering but God . I wish John Peace and Love and finality of the murderer of their child.
Brandy
Beautiful story of a man, father, husband, & victim. My heart literally broke for John Ramsey as he told the detailed story of the murder of his little girl Jon Benet. Then you see how his life has turned since her murder & how it has been nothing but one struggle for him after another. Yet he has found the strength & love of God. This isn't a fantastical hollywood bio it is a beautiful emotional story of love & faith!
Angela
I don't think he killed her, but even after reading this, I'm still not convinced that he didn't cover up for Patsy killing her. I believe they think God has forgiven them and they didn't have to come clean to society in order to be forgiven by The Lord. I'm still more convinced by Steve Thomas's account than this story of John Ramsey's.
Always honesty - I only read this book because I wanted to hear his first hand account of his daughter's tragic murder. He only briefly touched on the subject here and there and mainly focused on how his faith in God has been tested, and faultered, and regained.

While I always enjoy a good testament of faith, this book bored me.
Debra
I remember seeing/reading about this case on a daily basis...this is the (real)rest of the story. If I were not already,I would find this man and beg him to marry me! He is humility,integrity,power, and love all rolled into one man;a glimpse into the making of what I feel is what god had in mind. Bless you John Ramsey.
Kristin Lee Williams
I wanted to like this. But it wasn't great. I do feel bad for what happened to him, both for the murder of his daughter and for the way he and his family were treated in the media. But the book was a little too "I was wronged" for me. I don't know how to explain it, it just rubbed me the wrong way.
Wendy
This is a long book, but if you have an interest in the case or just a need to understand how much God helps in times of great distress, this is a must read. John was eventually cleared and officially declared innocent. He has been through so much and is a stronger man for it.
Patti
I started this book out of curiosity and have found out so much more about JonBenet's father and his faith walk. Through this horrible event, Mr. Ramsey seeks out God and doesn't falter with his faith. Very powerful and a guide for those suffering loss.(less)
Crystal

This book was very raw and truthful. I read things the media portrayed and it was enlightening to read this from a first person point of view. Their family has seen so much tragedy and it was nice to read of their strength and see their happiness now.
Lori Courville
Very very glad I read this book.. John Ramsey takes you to the core of their family pain and shares with the reader how he made it back..it's incredibly sad and inspiring at the same time.. He's honest and very forth coming, it left me with a sense of peace
Nikki Seymour
After reading , I no longer think they had a part in her death . His story is one of growing in faith , and learning to accept . I hope I live long enough to know what happened to that sweet baby and watch justice be served .
Carolyn
You thought you knew suffering and true inner strength and then you read this book by John Ramsey. If a man who has gone through such suffering can find his way to "the other side of suffering", anyone can. An inspiration!
Mark
No stunning insights here... just good solid Biblical wisdom from a man who has walked through the valley of the shadow of death in front of the international media - and come out with great humility.
Nancy
A truly inspiring book. John Ramsey writes openly about what he has endured over the years with the loss of his daughters and his wife and how his maturing faith in God has given him strength.
Lisa
Amazingly honest and inspiring. Mr. Ramsey truly found Amazing Grace through more than one senseless tragedy. Highly recommended, especially for anyone suffering tragic loss.
Marnie
so much sadness in one family's life. i have to appreciate his willingness to share his side of the story considering how villified he was by multitudes of people.
Katie
John shared many things I didn't already know from his previous book. I never believed he and Patsy had anything to do with Jonbenet's death
Melanie
I enjoyed the wisdom that Ramsey shares...some of it really good and applicable to everyone. He did a good job sharing his whole life experience.
Brandee
A very inspiring book. Regardless of what you think you know about the case the inside view I to the families life was very interesting
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
The Death of Innocence Samantha of Samaria Hartford Radio (Images of America) Smart Money Management: A Biblical Approach to Financial Stability Looking to Jesus: Meditations on the Letter to the Hebrews