Start by marking “Born to Be Brad: Life and Style Lessons from the Front Lines of Fashion” as Want to Read:
Born to Be Brad: Life and Style Lessons from the Front Lines of Fashion

Born to Be Brad: Life and Style Lessons from the Front Lines of Fashion

Reality show star, celebrity stylist, and rising fashion icon Goreski takes readers inside his whirlwind life from growing up in a small town in Canada to making it big, and along the way he offers style tips and tricks, complete with photos, to help every woman look her best.
Published March 6th 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Born to Be Brad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born to Be Brad

Marc Bisson
Jan 30, 2012 Marc Bisson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"There will always be naysayers, but what good is it to add your own self-hating voice to that chorus?"

It's difficult finding someone like Brad Goreski who is not only incredibly inspirational, but who appeals to a demographic that doesn't typically have many role models. I've been a fan of Brad's since "the Rachel Zoe Project" and recently, I have enjoyed his own show "It's a Brad, Brad World."

Going into this book, I had high expectations. As I read, Brad's sincere and comical voice shines thro
Sage
Mar 13, 2012 Sage rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Love Brad! I expected this book to be fun and funny (like Brad) and it was. However, I did not expect it to include the sweet and heartbreaking story of his growing up and coming out in small town Canada. This book has so many elements: style tips, lifestyle tips, funny stories, heartbreaking stories, fun lists and more. However, it is mainly a story about living life to the fullest. Brad is the next Oprah. I'm calling it!

Sorry, I'm not loaning this one out. It's a first edition with g
Gil Segev
Jan 30, 2014 Gil Segev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easily relatable, with a healthy inside look at the fashion world. Recommended.
Emily Schirmer
Feb 19, 2014 Emily Schirmer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
“You have to do what you love. Believe in yourself. Believe that things are possible and they will happen.”

An instant fan of Brad Goreski, I purchased this book immediately when it was released in 2012. I’ve had so much reading to catch up on, that I only got to ‘Born to be Brad’ just now, two years later. My only regret after reading this book is that I didn’t read it sooner.

Brad has always been open about the struggles in his life, but reading about his journey in great detail was so rewardin
Jessica
Jun 29, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, biography
I'm a little embarrassed to have read this book, because it's the frothiest (auto)biography I've read since I did a book report on Jackie Chan's ghostwritten autobiography in sixth grade. In fact, I was surprised that Born to Be Brad: My Life and Style, So Far was co-authored (byMickey Rapkin) because it wasn't well-written at all. Not that it was bad, just that it doesn't seem like a professional author wrote it.

If you're not familiar with who Brad Goreski is, he's one of the top Hollywood styl
Becky R.
May 12, 2012 Becky R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brad Goreski is the endearing, quirky-chic dresser that appeared first on The Rachel Zoe Project show on Bravo and later in his own show with the same network. Who doesn't love a story of someone coming up the ranks from nothing to great wealth and success? Brad's story is just that. Having started off as a troubled teenager and adult, dealing with issues of his sexual identity as a gay man, Brad struggled to come out to his family. His story of drug abuse and failed relationships feels like a r ...more
Kyle
Sep 01, 2012 Kyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me cry. I had no idea that Brad underwent such serious depression. Now I feel I would have reached out to him more in High School. I have to applaud his efforts with this book. I feel a lot of young people will be able to identify with the Brad Goreski character, and they will pick up this book, read it like a manual for success, and find inspiration in Brad's success. My biggest qualm is that Brad messes up the lyrics to the fashion Television theme song, but hey, that's a small ...more
Yana L
Mar 18, 2014 Yana L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lesley
Jan 28, 2013 Lesley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian, memoir, library, 2013
I love this book so much! I didn't have high expectations. I thought it would be a cute read but it was a lot more compelling than that. Naturally, I knew of Brad from tv but didn't know about his early life or his struggles with addiction. I also didn't realize how unsure he was about his life in fashion. I also really appreciated his candidness about fashion choices that didn't work out and including the photographic evidence. I laughed out loud a few times with this. Such a sweet, funny and i ...more
Beth
Jan 26, 2014 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Brad seems like a fun guy. Despite being in fashion he comes across as likeable and appreciative of what he has. The book tells his “so far” as the subtitle states. He grew up a chubby kid in Canada, and eventually found his calling in fashion. Along the way he tries drugs, comes out as gay and meets his older boyfriend in Greece. Interspersed in the story are fashion tips and photos. I liked the book, but Brad can be a bit over dramatic at times and this comes across in the parts about his drug ...more
Jamie
Jun 21, 2013 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I really enjoyed this book. Not quite sure who this guy is--I saw him on a morning talk show and thought he was fun so I got his book from the library. Apparently he is a stylist to the stars who worked with that awful, awful Rachel Zoe. But this book seems genuine. It is not about name-dropping. It is about growing up in a small town as a loser, and trying to make things happen when you don't know how. It is about pursuing your passion and putting in the work to get where you want to go. I thin ...more
Laura Gatti
Feb 02, 2014 Laura Gatti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brad Goreski knows at a very young age that he is a homosexual who loves to change Barbie's fashion styles. He has a difficult time feeling a sense of belonging;as a result, he is bullied throughout his life and allows this bullying to make him vulnerable to addictions. Brad recognizes the positive female role models who are his support system and provide him with confidence throughout his life.
Cassie
Mar 26, 2013 Cassie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really, really quick read. I rarely read a book in a day, but I did with this one. It's fun and fast. Brad seems like a really sweet, genuine guy, and it is interesting to see how he got to where he is. I especially liked seeing some of his take on The Rachel Zoe Project, but there wasn't much of that. Unfortunately, Brad is completely professional and says all the things you should say. I wish he had been a little more dishy.
Wendy
Oct 02, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-rated
What fun, and so refreshing. This book delivers such a positive spin on life. Recounting Brad's efforts to break into the fashion world, it is written with humble honesty. The storytelling is entertaining, yet connects so well. The book's layout offers additional pops of fun -- with capsules that offer great fashion and shopping tips, lots of pictures, and loud colored pages to announce chapters. It's a nice feel-good.
Tria
Aug 20, 2012 Tria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't a groundbreaking book, nor did I expect it to be. That said, I enjoyed reading about Brad's early life, the strong influence of the women in his life and his Canadian upbringing. We're close in age, so I related to many of his cultural references and the trials and tribulations of following your heart (loved ones) and dreams while relocating to another country.

Kudos to him for staying true to himself & having the courage to strike out on his own!
Drea
Jun 23, 2012 Drea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely fluff, but it's entertaining fluff, and it does have some great advice. I loved his tips for being a good assistant, because they're rules that I used when I was an assistant and things that I continue to look for in my assistants - and I don't work in fashion. Brad's sweet, genuine voice makes for an easy, quick read. The book was inspiring at times, but most;y just fun and funny.
Xander
Apr 26, 2014 Xander rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book helped me come to terms with my identity-- I came out to my mum the day I finished it. That being said, it's so more than a book about being gay. It helped me turn my life around when I was in a very bad situation. Truly inspiring, Brad continues to push me to be my truest self every time I see this book sitting on my bookshelf. A personal favorite, and for me, a life-changer.
Christina
May 21, 2012 Christina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, library
I liked all the blue boxes with the fashion tips and movie recommendations easy and simple and most of all practical ...shows that not everything has to be designer for it to be fashionable . A good guide for anyone who loves fashion
Rachel Wynkoop

I love this book! Brad is amazing and I value all his opinions. Throughout the book he gives advice and tells you his favorite things such as movies! Great book, the only thing is I wish he went into more detail about working with Rachel Zoe and his early life.
Elizabeth Lilly
This book only took a few days to read. I'm a huge fan of Brad Goreski. I loved him on "The Rachel Zoe Project" and now on his own reality show, "It's a Brad, Brad World". It gave a little more insight into how far he's come in his career. It was an easy, but fun read for Brad fans.
Joyfitnessandstyle
Mar 17, 2012 Joyfitnessandstyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves fashion and Brad.
I love Brad! He has such a fabulous job and he gets it! He knows you have to work hard to get what you want out of life. I really enjoyed reading this and getting a peek into his life. Only one question I had...Brad, why can't I wear bootcut jeans though? I need an explanation! :)
Linda
Oct 15, 2013 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: white-pine-2014
I think that this book had a strong overall message to it, but I found the writing style a little too casual for my liking. I read this book because of white pine, and I didn't really enjoy it. This book was not my cup of tea.
I didn't even watch any of Rachel Zoe Project or Brad, Brad World, because I don't have the attention span for most reality TV shows. I enjoyed the book immensely as a self-styled fashionista wannabe.
Traci
Apr 09, 2012 Traci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I loves me some Brad Goreski. He is just so cute and likeable and fun.If you like him on Rachel Zoe and his own show, then this is a good book for you. It was a book that was part memoir and part how-to/advice column.
Kelly
I had no idea who Brad was before reading his book. I have never seen the Rachel Zoe Project so I had no preconceived notions. I enjoyed the book - but I also have no desire to see the show. One of the best parts of the book are all the style tips interspersed.
Emily
Mar 17, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read, if somewhat poignant. Brad stole the show in The Rachel Zoe Project...and I loved reading his backstory. A late bloomer in his industry, there's actually a lot in his path that led to his profession as a stylist. Love Brad!
Petra Kruijer
If anything else, this book makes you realise that following you passion can bring you to great heights, no matter the struggles you will have to endure! For me this book is such an inspiration!
Rick Thomas
Mar 20, 2012 Rick Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book. Just so good.
Christine
I read because a) I watch too much Bravo and b) my cousin's talented partner Mickey Rapkin wrote this. But I laughed more than I thought i would and would read again just for the pictures.
Rebecca Raeske-Grinch
An interesting personal history full of recognizable names.
  • Edith Head: The Fifty-Year Career of Hollywood's Greatest Costume Designer
  • Missing Sarah: A Vancouver Woman Remembers Her Vanished Sister
  • A Card from Angela Carter
  • Vogue: The Covers
  • The Beauty of the Beasts: Tales of Hollywood's Wild Animal Stars
  • Stuntman!: My Car-Crashing, Plane-Jumping, Bone-Breaking, Death-Defying Hollywood Life
  • I'm Over All That: And Other Confessions
  • Fashion: The Definitive History of Costume and Style
  • Nina Garcia's Look Book: What to Wear for Every Occasion
  • True Strength: My Journey from Hercules to Mere Mortal and How Nearly Dying Saved My Life
  • Ai Weiwei's Blog: Writings, Interviews, and Digital Rants, 2006-2009
  • Glass of Fashion: A Personal History of Fifty Years of Changing Tastes and the People Who Have Inspired Them
  • Normal Gets You Nowhere
  • 100 Years of Fashion
  • The Wow Factor: Insider Style Secrets for Every Body and Every Budget
  • Alexander McQueen: Evolution
  • How to Be a Budget Fashionista: The Ultimate Guide to Looking Fabulous for Less
  • What Caesar Did for My Salad: The Curious Stories Behind Our Favorite Foods

“When you hear fear knocking on the door, most of the time when you answer it there’s nothing there. It’s just you holding yourself back.” 0 likes