Start by marking “La Comédie Humaine of Honoré De Balzac: Cousin Pons ” as Want to Read:
La Comédie Humaine of Honoré De Balzac: Cousin Pons

La Comédie Humaine of Honoré De Balzac: Cousin Pons (La Comédie Humaine)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  537 ratings  ·  34 reviews
This is an EXACT reproduction of a book published before 1923. This IS NOT an OCR'd book with strange characters, introduced typographical errors, and jumbled words. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We be ...more
Published February 26th 2010 by Nabu Press (first published 1847)

To ask other readers questions about La Comédie Humaine of Honoré De Balzac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Comédie Humaine of Honoré De Balzac

Ben
4.5 stars. I have jumped around quite a bit while reading Balzac’s The Human Comedy, starting with The Unknown Masterpiece and Gambara, and then going back to what is probably his best known work, Père Goriot. Last year was my year of Shakespeare. This is my year of Proust. I think that my next ambitious literary reading endeavor is to immerse myself in the entirety of Balzac’s Human Comedy, that immense and impressive collection of nearly 100 works.

It is well-known that Balzac had an addiction
Jim
Meghan Fidler
Meen
Mar 16, 2010 Meen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The fiction-weary
Recommended to Meen by: Madame me l'a donné.
For the past couple years I've had a lot of trouble reading fiction. It was like everything I read just fell flat. I wondered if it was just that I had become such a skeptic in the rest of my life that I could no longer suspend disbelief enough to really buy into something make-believe. Now, I was going through a lot of crap personally, so lots of stress, and I don't know why that would inhibit my ability to escape into a story, but I thought maybe it did. Whatever it was, I just ended up readin ...more
Beatrice
Tra tutti i libri che ho letto di Balzac, questo è sicuramente il più tetro e pessimista. Il pensiero della morte vi aleggia continuamente, l'interesse e l'arrivismo di tutte le classi sociali, con il loro perbenismo ipocrita, calpestano perfino il valore più sacro di tutti: la vita. La parte più bella è sicuramente quella dell'amicizia tra i due musicisti, la descrizione del loro affetto, della collezione artistica di Pons e delle sue debolezze. La sua stessa vita è una piccola tragedia: troppo ...more
Jonathan
I was loving this, until a constant barrage of anti-Semitic comments put me off. You can see some of them in my updates, and I don't intend to go into it in detail here. I am aware of the period he was writing in but that is no excuse.
Eliza
I love Balzac! A great story with a sad but realistic ending. Very good suspense and drama packing into one little neighborhood in Paris.
Kathleen Wells
Five stars - incredible book - please read after/before Cousin Bette(another 5 star read in my view)
Mehdi
A wonderfully-executed classic from the best novelist of the 19th century
Suzanne Macartney
great beginning. I laughed out loud. Will get back to some time.
Vittorio Ducoli
Ieri e oggi

Il cugino Pons è uno degli ultimi romanzi scritti dal nostro, pochi anni prima della morte. E la morte, quasi Balzac la sentisse vicina, è uno dei grandi protagonisti del romanzo.
L'altro, il principale, vero e proprio leit-motif di tutta la Comédie, è l'avidità, la sete di denaro e potere che muove praticamente tutti i personaggi del libro. Gli unici che non ne sono affetti sono proprio Pons e il suo grande amico Schmucke: sono artisti, estranei ad un mondo che misura tutto in base al
Tony
Balzac, Honore de. COUSIN PONS. (1848). ****
This novel was Balzac’s counterpoint to “Cousin Bette.” In this story, we get to examine the life of Cousin Pons, an unassuming man in his early sixties whose hobby, for many years now, was the purchase and collection of paintings and decorative arts. He didn’t have much money, so he was always on the lookout for bargains – where the seller didn’t know the value of what he had to sell, or where the piece was so obscured by dirt and grime that only his
Núria
Esta obra, si se le recortaran unas cuántas páginas y fuera al grano, sería una novela perfecta. El primo Pons es un músico viejecillo, que viste de forma anticuada, que siempre ha sido feo y no ha tenido nunca a nadie, y que intenta aliviar su frustración acumulando antigüedades y dándose grandes banquetes. El problema es que es pobre como una rata, así que tiene que rastrear cielo y tierra para encontrar una ganga que se pueda permitir, y tiene que hacer mil equilibrios para poder colarse en c ...more
Tomek
Książka straszliwa przez bezlitosne odmalowanie najniższych ludzkich namiętności: chciwości i ambicji... Sugestywny język Balzaca (a może nawet bardziej Boya!) przynosi czytelnikowi niepokój, smutek i złość. Wspaniałe, poetyckie portrety postaci. Do tego opis stosunków społecznych XIX-wiecznej Francji uzmysławia nam, że żadna ze współczesnych patologii społecznych nie jest niczym nowym... Wszystko już było, choć rzadko tak wspaniale opisane!
Rita
My first Balzac. Definitely a good writer.
[Though I am going on a Dutch translation since I can't read French... - Neef Pons]
It's harrowing for me to read in such great detail how normal ordinary people start manipulating and deceiving in order to cheat an honest but vulnerable man out of his possessions, hastening his death.

Almost unbearable to read 300 pages of this inhumane behavior. But Balzac describes it all very plausibly and makes good points about the slippery slope -- how easy it is, o
Асет Нурпеисов
Меркантелизм отношений с родственниками в Кузене Понсе раскрывается как нельзя лучше. Книга является продолжением Кузины Бетты, но только в этом случае главный герой, напротив, богач, хотя и скрытый.

Также книга рассказывает о бескорыстной дружбе, которая хоть и редко, но все-же встречается людям в жизни.
Esteban Gordon
"Frasier, calm and cold as a coiled snake, had his flattened head thrust forward, and his pose was like that which painters give to Mephistopheles. Each of these three varieties of miser, thirsting for gold just as the devils in hell thirst for the dew of paradise, directed his own special glance at the owner of so much wealth..." Sublime, as always M. Balzac.
Dagny
Sylvain Pons, now in his sixties, is a dear sweet soul, a musician. Pons has never married, feeling he didn't have the funds to support a family. His passion is collecting curios. Almost his only entertainment is a weekly dinner with his cousin Camusot de Marville. His cousin's wife however is not fond of Pons and wishes to exclude him from her home. His best friend is Wilhelm Schmucke, a German musician, also kind and sincere. Cibot is the porter in the house in which they live. His wife, Madam ...more
علی
Le Cousin Pons (1847)
پسرعمو پونس، حکایتی ست کم و بیش مشابه "دخترعمو بت"، اما در بعدی مردانه! این دو که از آخرین رمان های بالزاک هستند، کامل کننده ی یکدیگرند. سیلوین پونس نوازنده، با نوازنده ی آلمانی همان ارکستر، ویلهلم شموک، دوستانی صمیمی اند. پونس، برخلاف شموک، دو نقطه ضعف دارد؛ جمع آوری آثار هنری، و علاقه ی مفرط به غذای خوشمزه. شموک اما تنها یک نقطه ضعف دارد؛ علاقه ی مفرط به پونس. پونس، پیش از مرگی زودرس، همه ی دار و ندارش را به شموک می بخشد. شموک اما با قلبی شکسته می میرد، چرا که با مرگ پونس،
Lisa
Oh dear, poor old Cousin Pons, victim of one treachery after another! This is one of Balzac's very best, intricately plotted with superb characterisation. The women, Mme Camusot de Marville and Mme Cibot are as malevolent as Balzac knows how, and the assortment of lawyers, doctors, and sly dealers in antiquities are as greedy and dishonest as the women. As for Schmucke - well named indeed.
My only reservation is the anti-Semitic characterisation of M Magus. I have encountered this before in Balza
Mariana
The story is very interesting.
Krisztina Sardi
Very depressing, 'though the balzacien descriptions and digressions are very interesting.
Terry
This was an excellent example of well written and depressing. existentialism. The novel is concerned with a lonely man whose only friend is his bric -a-brac collection. Later in life he finds a best friend named Schmucke. When it is discovered Pon's bric-a-brac is very valuable, other peoples' greed kills Pons. Evil triumphs.
Narendra Jussien
Les derniers mois du Cousin Pons et les luttes pour sa succession entre sa logeuse (Mme Cibot) et sa chre cousine (Mme Camusot de Marville) au nez la barbe de Schmuke son ami allemand. Une histoire triste o les gens vils et bas s'en sortent comme d'habitude sans dommage, l'image de la vie! ...more
Ettore.bilbo
l'avrò iniziato non so quante volte e mai finito... e non è che non mi piaccia è solo che dopo un po' mi vien sempre voglia di leggere altro... è da una vita che non lo riprendo più in mano, chissà magari la prossima potrebbe essere la volta buona...
Danielle
Much less satisfying than Cousin Bette -- Cousin Pons was less humourous, less gratifying to those with certain moral inclinations, and unfortunately, a bit disappointing in that certain fascinating characters were left underutilized.
Dimitris Tourlakis
Cynic, realistic, reminds you to always think what is hidden behind the curtains. A bit boring in the beggining, keeps your attention in the second half. Stayed until 3 in the morning to finish it, couldn't let go. Eternal value, Honore de Balzac.
Shon McDonnell
One of my favorite books of all time. The friendship between these two "nutcrackers" is incredibly truthful. This book has a soul, it lacks fluff and is full of irony and humor, Balzac has captured humankind as if he had invented it himself.
Samuel
Extremely depressing and slightly long-winded. Lots of foresight and foreshadowing prevented any truly surprising plot twists. Even so, an entertaining and highly enjoyable read.
Geoffrey
Kind old man is used and destroyed. INCREDIBLY depressing.
  • Pot-Bouille (Les Rougon-Macquart, #10)
  • Lucien Leuwen
  • Albertine disparue (À la recherche du temps perdu, #6)
  • A Parisian Affair and Other Stories (34 stories)
  • The Cid / Cinna / The Theatrical Illusion
  • The Pupil
  • The Legend of the Glorious Adventures of Tyl Ulenspiegel in the Land of Flanders & Elsewhere
  • Guignol's Band
  • Les Diaboliques
Honoré de Balzac was a nineteenth-century French novelist and playwright. His magnum opus was a sequence of almost 100 novels and plays collectively entitled La Comédie humaine, which presents a panorama of French life in the years after the fall of Napoléon Bonaparte in 1815.

Due to his keen observation of detail and unfiltered representation of society, Balzac is regarded as one of the founders o
More about Honoré de Balzac...

La Comédie Humaine (1 - 10 of 86 books)
  • La Maison du Chat-qui-pelote
  • The Ball At Sceaux
  • Letters of Two Brides
  • The Purse
  • Modeste Mignon
  • A Start in Life (Dodo Press)
  • Albert Savarus
  • Vendetta
  • A Second Home
  • Domestic Peace
Père Goriot Eugénie Grandet Cousin Bette (Poor Relations) Lost Illusions (La Comédie Humaine) The Wild Ass's Skin