Start by marking “Ox Cart Angel” as Want to Read:
Ox Cart Angel

Ox Cart Angel

Winner of the Midwest Book Award for Young Adult Fiction, 2011. While the Civil War rages far away, Claire Dumont and her father set out on a journey from the Dakota Territory, hoping to catch up to the large caravan of Metis fur traders that left the day before. Their destination? The bustling city of St. Paul, where Papa wishes to open a photography studio. But with only ...more
Published August 11th 2011 by Createspace (first published August 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ox Cart Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ox Cart Angel

Jenna Anderson
Aug 20, 2011 Jenna Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you ever find yourself finishing a book and loving it so much you refrain from reading for a while? You don't want to pick up another title because it may erase the wonderful feelings you currently have. Ox Cart Angel did that to me. I simply loved this book.

The captivating storyline carried me from the first page to the last. At times I was on the edge of my seat and others I was sad, enraged, and awed. More than once I found myself starring blankly at my Kindle screen. Mr. Arnold has a way
Dierdra Byrd
Jan 16, 2012 Dierdra Byrd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Ox Cart Angel is a story about a young girl and her papa traveling to St. Paul with only a run down ox and cart. The story was a light quick read and I picked it up because of the reviews saying how great of a book it was. Maybe I am just not the intended audience but I found this book to be a bit to simple in writing and really not all that engaging. The story was ok but really, this book is 170 pages long there is a need for a sequel? Really could not fit the whole story in?
The book was an ok
Joy
Nov 08, 2011 Joy rated it really liked it
I won this book as a Goodreads giveaway.

I see no synopsis so I will give a brief one here. A young teenager motherless girl leaves her community and most of her possessions as she starts a journey with her photographer father to move from the Dakota Territory to St Paul. Her father tells her she can take one thing and she wonders how she will live without certain things, not because she is materialistic, but for the memories they represent. As they travel she grieves losing her mother and the on
Mirrani
Apr 22, 2012 Mirrani rated it it was amazing
Ox Cart Angel is a story of loss and discovery set in the days of wagon caravans and boys going off to fight in the civil war. Claire is a Metis girl (someone of both white and American Indian blood) lost in the changes of an adult's world. One moment she is playing with her friend, the next she is leaving her home forever. Her journey is filled with danger and tragedy, but it is equally filled with discovery and the joys of overcoming the sorrows of the past.

A perfect book to teach us that disc
Nada
Nov 18, 2011 Nada rated it really liked it
Shelves: r-lt
Review first published on my blog: http://memoriesfrombooks.blogspot.com...

Ox Cart Angel is a book set in the 1800s in the Dakota Territory. It tells the story of Claire and her father as they decide to relocate from the town of Pembina to St. Paul. It is the story of their journey as they attempt to reach the caravan of traders that has gone before and then as they journey alone with an ox cart full of photography equipment and their old ox Bone Bag.

Ox Cart Angel is also a story of racism, prej
Glenajo
Nov 21, 2011 Glenajo rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, ya
Ox Cart Angel, by J. Arnold, is the story of Claire, a young Métis girl, in the Dakota Territory during the Civil War. After the local Métis men leave on their yearly journey to sell their furs, Claire’s father decides to begin the risky journey with a ‘retired’ ox and Claire, despite his lack of knowledge and adequate supplies since the majority of space is full of his photography equipment. The pair endures multiple hardships, dangers, and boredom, aggravated by relationship difficulties.

This
Karen
Dec 03, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed the story. I could imagine the entire journey through the eyes of the young girl. The relationship struggles with her father over leaving her home abruptly, the encounters along the way with others and danger around each corner.

True to life and tragic in ways J. A. Arnold weaves a story that will make you want to know what happens after you turn the last page.
Valerie
May 02, 2014 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Little House on the Prairie this isn't- and that's a good thing. While I grew up loving the Little House books, Ox Cart Angel approaches its historical subject matter without the rose-colored glasses of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books.

The language used in the book is sparse, but creates incredibly vivid pictures; the creaking, squeaking sound of the ox cart was burned into my brain. The main characters are easy to relate to and oh-so-very-human, with good and bad traits that had me shifting my sym
Mike  Davis
Dec 01, 2011 Mike Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I gave this 4-stars, it's perhaps better than that as a Young Adult novel. The short novel reads as a diary of a young girl who sets out with her father on a nearly endless journey into Minnesota with an ox cart and a flatulent ox. Enroute she deals with fear, discrimination, love and hardship. The story is straightforward and easy reading toward the end while keeping the reader under tension. This is a great read for young adults.

This novel was received in eBook format from the author
Krista
Aug 13, 2016 Krista rated it really liked it
very interesting. I learned about some things in Minnesota/Midwest history that I didn't know anything about. cool that it was by a local author. could use a little more proofreading, though, especially in the beginning.
Lenny Krueger
Lenny Krueger rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2014
Sonja Isaacson
A girl and her pa on the way to St. Paul.
Jonathan S.
Jonathan S. rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Margaret Millmore
Margaret Millmore rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2011
Carolyn Quinn
Carolyn Quinn rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2014
Alison
Alison rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2012
Kathy Dalquist
Kathy Dalquist rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Theresa
Theresa rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Joel
Joel added it
Aug 10, 2011
Val
Val marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2011
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2011
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2011
Jason Jones
Jason Jones marked it as to-read
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Sharen
Sharen marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2011
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Shannon Dykes
Shannon Dykes marked it as to-read
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
C.C. Jackson
C.C. Jackson marked it as to-read
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
Patricia Kemp Blackmon marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2012
Shana
Shana marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2011
Andy Snelgrove
Andy Snelgrove marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2011
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2011
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2011
Jackleen
Jackleen marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2011
Debra Ice
Debra Ice marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2011
Jo-Ann Murphy
Jo-Ann Murphy marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2011
Jeanette Norton
Jeanette Norton marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2011
R.J. Murphy
R.J. Murphy marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2011
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2011
Debbie Kennedy
Debbie Kennedy marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2011
Delyse Trink
Delyse Trink marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2011
Kquist
Kquist marked it as to-read
Mark Mccarragher
Mark Mccarragher marked it as to-read
Tracey Johnson
Tracey Johnson marked it as to-read
Stephanie Cook
Stephanie Cook marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2011
Goodreads Authors...: Midwest Book Award Winner - Best YA Novel 7 140 Nov 16, 2013 08:40AM