Start by marking “Don't get Mad...Get Even” as Want to Read:
Don't get Mad...Get Even

Don't get Mad...Get Even

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  641 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
What choices do you have when you are abused, cheated on and left with a trail of broken promises? Don’t Get Mad…Get Even. Take an inside look at Jamaican culture and lifestyle through a collection of award-winning stories. You will laugh, cry and commiserate with a compelling cast of characters, who conquer their challenges in unique ways.
Published September 14th 2011 by The Writers' Suite

To ask other readers questions about Don't get Mad...Get Even, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't get Mad...Get Even

Tina Hayes
Sep 29, 2011 Tina Hayes rated it it was amazing
"Don't Get Mad…Get Even" by J.L. Campbell is short story collection that is well worth the read. Set in Jamaica, each story features a unique new cast of characters who've been wronged in some way and, like the title suggests, they're dead set on getting even. The lilt of the dialogue brings alive the sound of Jamaica so I could almost hear the conversations in my ear as I read.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. If pushed to pick a favorite story, it would be 'Sudden Emancipation', an emotional sto
Lyn
Sep 01, 2015 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story but felt confused as to the goings on. The story seemed to have jumped from one situation and then back in time. As it got to the end, it started to get good and then it was the end. Even though this one left me lost, I will still read more of J.L's books.
Medeia Sharif
Oct 20, 2011 Medeia Sharif rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
This short story collection was an enjoyable read. As the title promises, each story focuses on a character who’s getting even against someone who didn’t do right by him or her. This is mostly contemporary, but there’s a touch of paranormal in this collection. I also enjoyed the setting of Jamaica and the patois interspersed throughout the book. J.L. Campbell is an author to watch out for. No matter how long each piece was, I was fully involved with the characters’ thoughts and actions.
Clarissa Draper
Oct 01, 2011 Clarissa Draper rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of five short stories. I've become a fan of these little guys because they're short and they often pack a punch. And these do pack a punch--often literally. I felt for all the characters in the stories and I learned a lot about the male/female relationship in Jamaican culture. Pick it up, you can't beat the price.
Jazz
Apr 02, 2013 Jazz rated it did not like it
This book was filth. The book was only short stories that consisted of women killing their husbands basically.I don't have anything else to say, because the plots were so pointless.
Celeste  Williams
Wow

I always say life is about choices. You either allow someone to choose for you or you make the choices for yourself. Interesting stories subject matters. You have infidelity. You have domestic violence. You have suicide. It was like a tale of no return. I know some will read and say this couldn't be me, where others will say these are people I know. It's funny because while somethings maybe considered taboo, you recognize that in every culture you have those unspoken truths.
Lathanette
Short Stories

This book was nothing like I thought it would be. it was all short stories and I am not fond of those. There's about four or five the last book is the longest. However I must say I was a f as st read. The stories are Jamaican based. This was Marist times as doing this author. I research her a little more to see if all her books are like this.
Vera Jones
Mar 07, 2014 Vera Jones rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointed

Disappointed

I tried to decipher the story line , but I could not find a connection. Stories were fragmented and had no connection. I started to put it down several times but I am not the type of person who can let a book I started go unfinished. This book in my opinion was confusing and disconnected.

Joyce Andrews
Jun 23, 2015 Joyce Andrews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow that was intense

Every story was a story of getting the person back for the things that they had done wrong to the people that they were supposed to have loved. The title means just what it says, Don't get mad...get even. The last story was the best.
Ms.Tubman
Aug 16, 2014 Ms.Tubman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Short Stories

Great Short Stories

I really enjoyed reading the short stories. I truly like the author style of writing. Book was a very easy read. One should be careful how one treat another. Smile
Darlene Gay-Allen
Enjoyed the reading. Very entertaining! Most of the stories made me want more. Great short stories.

Darlene Gay- Allen give this two thumbs up. I would definitely recommend this book and share it at book club
Detra Clayton
It's a very enjoyable read.

The stories written were engulfing with such reality
The author gave such insight into the Jamaican language.
It's a good read.
Al-Jeanette Eaddy
Stories

The first story left me wanting more. Too much death and not enough happy healthy outcomes.
What ever happened to good old-fashioned revenge,?
Tina Wilson

Short stories

just enough of a story to get you interested and then it's over. but I really did enjoy the stories.
Keshia
Jul 23, 2014 Keshia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karma

Karma

it onlY goes to show what goes around comes around what seems from greed leaves less then what a person begans with
Faye Loretta Smith
Totally spellbound

Great read that kept me intrigued. These short stories kept me wanting more. Bad people kept getting what they deserved and more.
Jasmine
May 26, 2015 Jasmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an awesome short story read. However the author left you hanging after almost all of them . Story two would've been an awesome stand alone book
Lashon Brown
May 21, 2015 Lashon Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One day

This book was great got done with it in one day. All the short story's were wonderful with creativity. Have to read another one of
April Johnson
Just ok

Just ok

Not what I expected. it was several stories in one. Didn't think the title fit the body of the book.
Chantal Darden
May 28, 2015 Chantal Darden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Watch out

This is another reason why I love reading books like this. It keeps you at the edge of your seat.
Paula
Jun 23, 2014 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these short stories! I wish they would all become a novel. Very though provoking.
Rose Morales
Mar 21, 2015 Rose Morales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book of shorts are funny, creepy and sad. It's a must read!
Beulah  Dejean
Ok collection

These short story was ok. Not much more to really say about them. The title is a twist because........ well read the book.
Regena Greene
Jun 19, 2014 Regena Greene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Short stories

All the stories were good, but these were too short for me! Guess I'll look for the rest of the books.
Destiny
Jan 19, 2014 Destiny rated it liked it
Interesting short stories about getting even. The Jamaican language was hard to understand at times. It was a free book on Amazon Kindle.
Tera Keller
Hmmm

it was ok. I thought it would be different. I really didn't like the ending though. it could have been more dramatic
lisa
Nov 21, 2014 lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Need a better end to the book

The book started off good and then it went into some unanswered question about all of the story line it had quite terrible ending.
Collette
May 11, 2013 Collette rated it really liked it
Seven individual stories I wasn't prepared for but to my surprise I enjoyed how they flowed. Each story held it's own power and strength. Take a try you'll like it.
Amelia Johnson
Aug 05, 2013 Amelia Johnson rated it liked it
Not at all legal but understandable, I was not keen on the girl who thought getting even was to end her own life.
M. Pax
Dec 08, 2012 M. Pax rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading these tales set in Jamaica. JL Campbell is a gifted writer. I'm definitely a fan.
  • My Life as a Sex-o-Gram: Book One
  • How Did I Get Here?
  • Secret Rendezvous (Reunited Series- Prequel)
  • The Saga Continues (Cheaper to Keep Her #2)
  • Heaven Right Here (Hallelujah Love #4)
  • A Hustler's Promise
  • Love Triangle: Three Sides To The Story
  • I'll Be Home for Christmas: An eShort Story
  • Already Taken
  • Show and Tell
  • The Games Men Play
  • Shit, Just Got Real! (The Letter/The Response)
  • Another Tear (The Kennards, #2)
  • Baller Bitches
  • When Love Hurts (Jaylen and Jessica Series Book 1)
  • FeMALE TRAITS "The Trilogy"
  • The Available Wife Part 2
  • Gangsta Luv
J.L. Campbell is an award-winning, Jamaican author who writes romantic suspense, women's fiction, new and young adult novels. She has written thirteen books, two novellas and two short story collections.

Her novels include the Island Adventure Romance series, which currently has four exciting, stand-alone stories and features feisty women and determined men. She also writes under the pen name Jayda
More about J.L. Campbell...

“Pride had held me prisoner for too long,” 1 likes