Start by marking “Two Little Lies (MacLachlan Family, #3)” as Want to Read:
Two Little Lies (MacLachlan Family, #3)

Two Little Lies (MacLachlan Family & Friends #3)

Published January 1st 2006 by Pocket Star (first published December 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Two Little Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Little Lies

Ilze
Feb 12, 2013 Ilze rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: liz-carlyle
This is the second book in a row by Carlyle that I've read that has almost *exactly* the same plot as one of Mary Balogh's books (the other one was "Three Little Secrets", the next one in the MacLachlan Family series). The book by Mary Balogh is "Christmas Belle", published in 1994 as a Signet Regency. I'm not sure that copying a plot almost exactly constitutes plagiarism, but it has certainly turned me off Liz Carlyle. Especially when Balogh's book is far, far better than this one.

Christmas Belle (Frazer, #2) by Mary Balogh
Jane Stewart
It was a pretty good story, but it was missing the emotional fulfillment I usually desire.

Most romance novels I enjoy have the couple meet, develop a relationship, usually separate due to a crisis or conflict and then get together in the end. This novel starts with the couple together and they separate. Most of the book is spent with the hero and heroine being sad, in pain, unfulfilled and lonely. Only at the very end do they get together again. This was not a fulfilling formula for me. I missed
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
3.5 Stars

This was the story of Quin Hewitt, Alasdairs friend from "One Little Secret,", and Viviana Alessandri, an opera singer and his first love and first mistress. When they meet again 9 years later, they both have their secrets that have kept them apart, but will they be able to over come this?

It took me a while to get into this book, but once I did I really enjoyed it, I didn't quite like it as much as "One Little Sin," as it seemed to lack humour, and I found I didn't really warm much to
Tasneem
Dec 19, 2011 Tasneem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, regency
I cried right through the book. It was just so sad and the writing was brilliant. Viviana and Quin were just the most divine of lovers, unable to speak the truth because of pride and misguided sentiments. Their passion was so absolute, and their feelings so strong. What a combination. I loved this book as can be seen from my 5 stars.
I liked Viviana especially because she made the best choice she could, or what she felt was the best choice. She is a realist, she realises that he is too young, tha
Sherry
Aug 20, 2007 Sherry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006-2010
30. "Once, he spurned the woman he loved. The Earl of Wynwood was far too reckless to handle a sophisticated woman like Viviana Alessandri. And the beautiful opera singer was far too famous to make a suitable wife for Wynwood.

Twice, she wagered with her heart. Crushed by Wynwood's refusal to marry, Viviana offered her hand to another, a wealthy count. But fate has a way of playing with lovers' hearts — and passion has a way of setting them on fire.

Two little lies tore them apart. But now, at a g
Dangermousie
Liz Carlyle is more hit than miss for me but this was not the best book in her collection. It takes the tropes I really like (estranged lovers who reunite, class differences etc) but doesn't do anything interesting with them.

I am in the minority (it seems) where I really liked the hero but found the heroine incredibly annoying, with her out of control temper and incessant lying.

Three stars for the angst and because I happen to like Carlyle's writing style but you are better off getting one of h
Teresa
Apr 01, 2009 Teresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate it when I get a book in the middle of a series. This is a second book of three, now I have to get the first and third ones, maybe. This is a historical romance with a tried and true plot, how many times do we have to read story? The story took some time to develop and get going and didn't garner much empathy with the characters until late in the story. Not a bad read but not the best one either. The teaser for the third book makes it sound like a better story. Hope so!
Andita
Nov 02, 2010 Andita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you didnt read the first book the start would have given you some history but if you did it was long and drawn out. I think it was not until about page 100 and somthing that it actually got to the new stuff with the characters and this story. I read it despite the beginning lag. I hope the third book doesnt do the same thing.
Kerstin ~ (SheReadsByMoonlight)
3.5 Stars

I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the first one in the trilogy. The humour was missing and I didn't quite warm up to Quin and Viviana until halfway through the book.
That said, it was still an enjoyable read.
Joy
Sep 11, 2009 Joy rated it it was ok
I didn't like the hero much, but the heroine was ok. It's more of a dramatic side, very little to no humor at all.
Anne
Apr 14, 2009 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zbir-2009
I really hate long prologues. This one is 21 pages. That is just too long for a prologue.
Lisa
Oct 29, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As you might guess from the title, this book revolves entirely around a Big Misunderstanding. It's one of those stories where the entire plot could have been avoided if the two main characters would have simply taken two seconds to have an honest conversation with each other.

I tend to find these kinds of books to be frustrating because most of the time there's literally nothing preventing the happy ending besides the main characters' stupid pride. In essence, my hero and heroine are also the ant
Betsy
Oct 19, 2016 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Characters: opera singer, aristo
World Building: singing, opera production, interiors
Plot: secret baby, broken engagement, lost child, growing up
Sex: medium
Read another: Always.

Another good outing for Carlyle. Emotionally wrenching, and there is abuse in the past.
Everalice
Jan 25, 2014 Everalice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Printemps 1821. Le comte Quinton Hewitt, Lord Wynwood, tout jeune homme de 19 ans, se lance à corps et à cœur perdu dans une aventure passionnée avec la non moins jeune, même si elle est son aînée de 4 ans, Viviana Alessandri, une volcanique chanteuse d'opéra italienne. Ils se consument d'ardeur sensuelle, d'élans brisés de colère, de rancœurs, de peurs... trop jeunes pour vraiment se connaître, et trop enflammés pour s'aimer sans se déchirer. Elle le quit
Tracey Risebrow
Originally published at www.bookthing.co.uk

At the age of twenty one, Quin Hewitt took opera singer Viviana Alessandri as his mistress. Their brief fling was fiery and passionate but ended abruptly leaving them in different countries with secrets never disclosed.

Nine years later he is now the Earl of Wynwood and she returns to his life as an unexpected guest of his uncle. Can they deal with the anger between them and can Viviana continue to hide the secret she kept all those years ago.

This is the
Kaycee Sapinoso
This was an incredibly emotional read. Two Little Lies is a book full of emotions. You will laugh along with them, cry with them, get frustrated, angry and you even feel hot. It’s a roller coaster ride. It was wonderfully written.

Quin Hewitt a handsome scoundrel, the Earl of Wynwood. At 21, he fell in love with the very beautiful and sexy Viviana Alessandri and took her as his mistress. He wasn’t able to tell her the truth about his feelings. And because of her being not suitable to be his bri
Kay Bolton
Jul 05, 2013 Kay Bolton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Fans
Shelves: 4-star
Review taken from my Blog Post (#64) in January 2011, after borrowing the book from the local library:

Quin Hewitt has lead a rakish and devil may care existence since he was released on London as a callow youth. At the age of 20 he fell in love with an Opera Singer, Viviana Alessandri. He refused to marry her, and she went back to Italy to become the Contessa Bergonzi di Vicenza very shortly afterwards.

Eventually he succeeds to an earldom, and is under pressure to find a wife. So engages himself
Bronwyn Rykiert
At 21 Quin Hewitt fell in love with the beautiful Venetian opera singer Viviana Alessandri and took her as his mistress. That was 9 years ago, now as duty demands Quin has decided to take a bride and he has chosen Esmee Hamilton. At his betrothal party he is shocked to meet Viviana again, now though she is Contessa Bergonzi di Vicenza, a widow with 3 children. The meeting brings back a whole lot of unwanted feelings for both of them.

Quin realizes that he loves Viviana and always has, he just has
Barbara
Jan 13, 2016 Barbara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
It's been so long since I read a "heaving bosoms" book, that I had to add "romance"as a shelf on my account. As such things go, this one was well done, although I kept harkening back to John Jakes' Bicentennial series, which embeds (pun intended) much more history into its steamy passion.

"We fought. We had sex. And then we fought some more." That pretty well explains the plot: fall in love, denial, separate, come together, steamy sex, denial, denial, denial, crisis, come together. Predictable bu
Kiki Belle
May 25, 2016 Kiki Belle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Quin was completely irredeemable. No, you are not in love with her. You're obsessed and unable to let go of the past. And threatening to take a child away from her mother because you suddenly realized you're the kid's father? Not only shitty but remarkably stupid. That would be declaring her illegitimate. That's the worst thing you could do to your daughter who you apparently love after speaking to her three times. I swear, I don't know the hell anyone looked at this book and saw a love sto ...more
Kelly
Dec 09, 2013 Kelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Usually these types of novels have a hero and heroine that want to be together but - oh no - there is some kind of obstacle. A coniving cousin, a manipulative mama or a dreadful string of partly interesting crimes. At the very worst, the couple have deep set inner feelings that prevent them from coming together.

This novel had two characters who wanted to be together, argued CONSTANTLY about this fact, but wouldn't just take the jump. There was no tension, no obstacles and no, well, anything.
Kindaangelic
Apr 12, 2010 Kindaangelic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, but sometimes even the most hardened, loyal romance reader wants to yell at the heroine....ASK A FRICKIN QUESTION BEFORE YOU RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!! lol ok Im better now....lolol Wynnwood and Vivianne were not bad...and he wasnt at slow on the uptake as most hero's,which saved him for me. Vivie....Vivie...Vivie...well read the book and find out for yourself people...maybe its just me?? but I wanted to box her ears and take away her rubies...lol Moving on to Three Little Secrets ...more
Sonja
Apr 12, 2009 Sonja rated it really liked it
Really nice follow-up to the first in the series, One Little Sin. Quin was a little hard to like at first, but you understand him more, little by little, and by the end of the book I was fully on board. Vivianna was a compelling character with an intense back story that I loved discovering. Well-crafted story, can't wait to finish the series with Three Little Secrets.
Ladiibbug
Aug 30, 2008 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#2 Historical Romance Trilogy "One..., Two ..., Three"

Saga of three titled men continues ... in book 1, One Little Sin, the wealthy bad boy trio visit a fortune teller, who predicts that their irresponsible, devil-may-care behavior will very soon be catching up to them.

I like the plot twists and surprises.
Jenn
Jan 03, 2011 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This was a pretty good historical romance, this author usually moves them along quite quickly. Same formula as most, likeable characters, and it moves at a good clip. If you like Liz Carlyle, you will like this one, too.
Francette
Mar 25, 2013 Francette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-novels
Hated writing and characters at first and had given up on it. But came back to it a few months later and gave it another try. Once story really started, I got into the characters. Brought lots of tears. Which is a good thing.
Amy
Jul 29, 2014 Amy rated it it was ok
Foggygirl
May 07, 2015 Foggygirl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-read
On the whole a good read but at times the hero acted like a total jackass toward the heroine, fortunately said heroine wasn't in any way a doormat and didn't let him away with it.
Keri
I liked this book a bit better then I did the first one. Vivie and Quin's romance felt real and passionate. Very solid sweet read.
Barbara
Oct 26, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Might have liked this book more if I hadn't read Amanda quick right before this one. Still it got better towards the end. It is not a full 4 stars but 3 is too low.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 09, 2015 12:10PM
  • The School for Heiresses (School for Heiresses, #2.5; Neville Family & Friends, #0.5; Desperate Debutantes, #3.5)
  • One Night with a Spy (Royal Four, #3)
  • Winterset (The Mad Morelands, #3)
  • One Night of Passion (Danvers, # 1)
  • By Design (Medieval #2)
  • Something Sinful (Griffin Family, #3)
  • The Duke's Indiscretion (Duke Trilogy, #3)
  • Secrets of a Proper Lady (Last Man Standing, #3)
  • Lady Beware (Company of Rogues, #14)
  • Web of Love (Web, #2)
21944
Dear Readers,

The awful truth about novelists is that we are mostly dull, introverted homebodies who only write in order to live our fantasies vicariously. I came to writing rather late in life, and I’m still amazed I can get paid for doing something I love, and that I get to stay home while I do it.

My favorite comedian Steve Martin once said, "I believe entertainment can aspire to be art, and ca
More about Liz Carlyle...

MacLachlan Family & Friends (10 books)
  • The Devil to Pay (MacLachlan Family, #1)
  • One Little Sin (MacLachlan Family, #2)
  • Three Little Secrets (MacLachlan Family, #4)
  • One Touch of Scandal (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #1)
  • The Bride Wore Scarlet (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #2)
  • The Bride Wore Pearls (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #3)
  • A Bride by Moonlight (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #4)
  • In Love with a Wicked Man
  • The Earl's Mistress (MacLachlan Family & Friends, #10)