Start by marking “New Passages” as Want to Read:
New Passages

New Passages

Millions of readers literally defined their lives through Gail Sheehy's landmark bestseller Passages. Seven years ago she set out to write a sequel, but instead she discovered a historic revolution in the adult life cycle. . .
People are taking longer to grow up and much longer to die. A fifty-year-old woman--who remains free of cancer and
Published September 28th 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about New Passages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Passages

Jan 19, 2014 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Gail Sheehy's earlier book "Passages" years ago so when I saw this - clearly a sequel - at a Library sale I picked it up. Even though it was written in the mid-90s there was loads here of relevance to me, a baby boomer, beyond midlife now and heading into the next phase. Gail is intelligent and articulate, savvy and astute, well-read and sharp as a tack - with all these skills she interviewed hundreds of people, compiled data from hundreds of surveys and did a thorough job of researching ...more
Christine Rebbert
My therapist recommended this book as a resource -- having just hit the big 6-5, trying to come to terms with getting older (who'da thunk?!) and what's next... She herself had not read it in quite some time -- the book came out in 1995. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME with this book...

A LOT has changed since 1995! In 1995, Baby Boomers were just about to hit their 50's, and as we BB'ers have done in so many other areas, we have been rewriting the book every day since then. This SO needs revision -- like,
Agnes Ross
Apr 05, 2012 Agnes Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm just sorry I didn't read this book back in 1995 or so when it was first published. But the reality is probably that it wouldn't have meant as much to me then as it does now. I read Gail Sheehy's "Passages" some twenty or more years ago. It is fascinating to see her aging herself and continuing her research on life passages. Her thesis that because people are living longer and now enjoying a whole second Adulthood, is illustrated by the studies in the book and the interviews and group meeting ...more
Therese Gilardi
interesting insights however i could have done without all of the self-congratulatory baby boomer backslapping.
Oct 28, 2008 Halfempty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-school
I read this for my developmental psychology class, and it told me that I am like most people in my generation in not feeling the slightest bit like an adult until I reached age 30 and had my "passage to first adulthood"...before this I imagined that everyone else felt grown up already and I was the only one lagging behind.

It also has many positive things to say about our "second adulthood", which starts around age 45, and is likely to go into our nineties, since we're all going to live so long,
Jun 03, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing like reading a “landmark” book 20 years after it was written. Sheehy, author of the original Passages in 1976, charts our path through the ages again with a new perspective. People are living longer and remaining active much later in life than they did in our parents’ and grandparents’ generations. Today’s 50-year-old is much younger than his parents were at the same age. Indeed, at 50, Sheehy says we’re just getting started on our Second Adulthood, with many more years ahead of us. Usin ...more
Feb 15, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
"A woman who reaches age 50 today - and remains free of cancer and heart disease - can expect to see her 92 year." (p.5) How's that for a note-to-self when planning retirement?!

In her several books Gail Sheehy manages to make serious qualitative research conversational. More importantly, she brings clarity to what are otherwise anecdotal thoughts, myths, old wives tales, and speculation. In her New Passages. She admits that when she completed her first Passages (1984) she assumed that age 60 or
Mar 03, 2013 Dayla rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a bunch of old women, still desperate for male attention! Sorry Ms. Sheehy, what started out to be so promising (including "Passages" in 1982) in your "new" book, turns into an old lady attitude brawl. The skill set of being "graceful" or "gracious" are nowhere to be found. My only recommendation is to do whatever you can to avoid becoming the women in this book. This is not a new passage for any woman, but an ill-mannered romp through one's love life.
Paula Dembeck
Oct 29, 2013 Paula Dembeck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
People are taking longer to grow up and much longer to grow old.

The old demarcations and descriptions for adulthood, beginning at 21 and lasting to 65 are hopelessly out of date.

Sheehy discovers and maps out a completely new frontier – a second adulthood in middle life.

Sheehy allows us to make sense of our own lives by understanding others like us.
Miguel Garcia
Mar 20, 2014 Miguel Garcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative. Taking you thru every step of development from young adult to all the way into your 50's. Sprinkled with real life accounts from some of her research subjects. Some of which you can relate too, and some of which you can't . A very good read, if you just want to learn a little general information about adult development.
Jun 08, 2015 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book is already 20 years old, Sheehy's research & perceptions stand the test of time. My one negative reaction was the heavy focus on "well-off professionals" with little insight into the "blue collar" population and how their lives evolved. Interesting chapter on the "60s" as I head in that direction in a year or so.
Bill Dauster
Aug 02, 2011 Bill Dauster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read "Passages" 30 years ago, I enjoyed reading "New Passages" now. Sheehy is at her best laying out the sociological effects of demography, and then she uses survey, focus group, and anecdotal material to explain how Americans in their 40s, 50s, and 60s are changing they way that they live.
Nov 16, 2008 Marilyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has a beating heart
Yay!!! I found my book! So now I am reading the relevant "passages," such as "the flaming fifties." Life goes on...

(Prior comment: Unfortunately, I began reading portions of this book relevant to my life...then I lost it! Oh found a "new passage" to somewhere...)
May 26, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much of this book is dated (over 20 years old), and there seem to be too many profiles of people that are super achievers and highly educated. BUT there are a lot of good messages in this book of how to age well.

It emphasizes the concepts of a second adulthood and that people now are taking risks and doing things that previous generations did not consider possible. 50 used to be considered over the hill and this book emphasizes that it is the beginning of a great new period of life, with the cav
Fascinataing, yet it's dated as it was published about 10 years ago. Draws a correlation as to how the different "X" generation & "Me" generations face each life stage. Would like to see an update.
Catherine Teh 陳婉然
A slow but good read. Understanding the changes in generations, this is a book that will tell us that we have the ability to shape our own life cycle.
Mar 10, 2008 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After having read the original Passages at a much earlier age, I found this update to a practical guide to what were more choices, post feminism.
Sep 09, 2008 Renee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow-going, but an interesting exploration of generational differences and how it influences our society's growth.
Don't remember loving this, but it did prompt some thoughtfulness & very good discussion.
Nancy L.
Nov 11, 2011 Nancy L. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fifteen years old and incredibly dated. Not much here but sweeping generalizations.
Melissa Mcdonald
Dec 05, 2012 Melissa Mcdonald marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Life Stages. Relates to women's career development & mentoring research.
Gail Jeidy
Jun 07, 2015 Gail Jeidy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally read this and check it off my list. Interesting throughout.
Don Gubler
Good generalities but don't believe everything it says.
Jul 01, 2009 Mama207 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting info. on males in their 40, 50's, 60's
Mar 17, 2016 Marjorie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This should be a must read for everyone.
May 09, 2008 Sandra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
About Menopause
Jan 29, 2013 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rated: C+
May 19, 2016 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eown
It's a good read. It helped me understand the plight of others at different points in their lives and gave me insight and tips as to what I can expect. In all, I liked her first passages book the best. Still glad I read both!
  • Should You Leave?: A Psychiatrist Explores Intimacy and Autonomy--and the Nature of Advice
  • My Mother/My Self: The Daughter's Search for Identity
  • Don't Worry, Make Money: Spiritual and Practical Ways to Create Abundance and More Fun in Your Life
  • How Race Is Lived in America: Pulling Together, Pulling Apart
  • The Write Start: A Guide to Nurturing Writing at Every Stage, from Scribbling to Forming Letters and Writing Stories
  • Getting Organized
  • You Were Always Mom's Favorite!: Sisters in Conversation Throughout Their Lives
  • Learning to Love Yourself: Finding Your Self Worth
  • Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-By Step Lessons
  • Speak Peace in a World of Conflict: What You Say Next Will Change Your World
  • Healing the Soul in the Age of the Brain: Becoming Conscious in an Unconcscious World
  • When Food Is Love: Exploring the Relationship Between Eating and Intimacy
  • Psychotherapy without the Self: A Buddhist Perspective
  • The Secret of the Shadow: The Power of Owning Your Story
  • Kosher Sex: A Recipe for Passion and Intimacy
  • When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies: Freeing Yourself from Food and Weight Obsession
  • Psychologist's book of self-test: 25 Love, Sex, Intelligence, Career, And Personality Tests
  • The Dance of Fear: Rising Above Anxiety, Fear, and Shame to Be Your Best and Bravest Self
Gail Sheehy is an American writer and lecturer, most notable for her books on life and the life cycle. She is also a contributor to the magazine Vanity Fair.

Her fifth book, Passages, has been called "a road map of adult life". Several of her books continue the theme of passages through life's stages, including menopause and what she calls "Second Adulthood", including Pathfinders, Spirit of Surviv
More about Gail Sheehy...