Start by marking “Exiles (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #14)” as Want to Read:
Exiles (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #14)

Exiles (Star Trek: The Next Generation #14)

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  577 ratings  ·  15 reviews
For three centuries the people of Alaj and the people of Etolos have been bitter enemies. However, when crippling disasters strike both worlds, each planet becomes the other's hope for survival.
With time running out, Captain Picard and his crew are called to negotiate a peaceful settlement and begin rescue efforts. But some factions would rather see both planets perish a
Published September 22nd 2000 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Exiles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exiles

Nick Gotch
I'm a huge Star Trek fan (original series, and especially TNG) but this was my first time actually reading a Trek novel. I wasn't sure what to expect: Would the characters "feel" the same as in the shows? Would Trek canon be maintained? I took my first chance with "Exiles" as it was recommended to me by my Trek group.

My first impression of the story is that it did a great job keeping the characters intact. I was able to vividly picture Captain Picard mouthing the orders of command, Data curiousl
Mikael Kuoppala
"Exiles" is a trekkian tale with a good ecological message, but I think it could have used a bit more effort and ambition.

The novel deals with environmental issues and the preservation of animal species, both subjects still relevant. The story takes us to Alaj, a Federation member world that faces a disaster as it's overly industrial culture is renderering the planet uninhabitable.

Etolos is a world populated by a people exiled from Etolos centuries earlier. They are the experts on the preservati
William Johnson
The Grand Star Trek Book Review #4: Exiles (TNG #14)

This is another one of those 'remember where I bought it and when I read it' Trek books of which I remember absolutely nothing. However, I got a kick out of reading the story BEHIND the book as explained in Voyages of Imagination, the official book on Trek fiction.

Apparently:

"The back of this novel bears a quote from Gene Roddenberry congratulating Howard [Weinstein] on a highly entertaining and socially relevant story" and ". . .Exiles became
K
Okay TNG book. I enjoyed reading the story for the first 100 pages or so, then it got a little too predictable. I felt Picard was a little out of character, with respect to his sense of humor and actions he was willing to take that jeopardized the entire crew. 3.25/5
Camille
Andrew Beet
i did like this book it had a very good message about what we are doing to our planet. i also liked that the people of Etolos and Alaj are bitter enemies and yet they have to work together because i think it's the inhabitants of the planet Alaj that have to find a new planet but the etolosans say no you can't live on our planet. i liked that aspect of the book. then you have other people that have a grudge and the enterprise is right in the middle of this.
Angela
A good story about 2 planets who desperately need each others help. Only problem being that they have hated each other for hundreds of years. I could really imagine this being a tv episode, all characters act how you would expect them to do. The writing style makes you want to know wha happens next. A good read.
Daniel Kukwa
It's much more enjoyable than "Power Hungry", and features a tasty eco-message worthy of its Next Generation setting...but I have to agree with another reviewer: Mr Weinstein seems more comfortable writing for the original series "Star Trek" crew. That said, this was a pleasant-enough diversion.
Maj
My first Star Trek novel & it wasn't love at first sight. It took me several chapters to "get into it" by the second half of the book I was 100% hooked. It turned out to be a very interesting adventure/SF novel. Will definitely read more by this author.
Jeff
I read all these "Next Generation" books in middle school/early high school. Even then I thought most of them were pretty bad. But I'm a completist so they must be included in my book list!
Barbara
Very openly moralistic tale. I hate stories that are flat out telling me I am doing stuff wrong.
Also kind of predictive but still amusing.
Bev Hankins
Weinstein is good, but I think he's more at home with TOS characters. I find his novels about the original series much more compelling.
John Lawson
This book sat on my shelf for nearly 20 years before I picked it up.

I should have waited another 20.
André
I know I read it, and I think I linked it, but I can't remember anything. Sorry.
Drew
Exiles (Star Trek The Next Generation, No 14) by Howard Weinstein (1990)
Carlos Eduardo
Carlos Eduardo marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Derek Adelman
Derek Adelman marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Theresa Ellison
Theresa Ellison marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Val
Val added it
Jan 04, 2015
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
  • Doomsday World (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #12)
  • Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)
  • A Rock and a Hard Place (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #10)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek The Next Generation, #13)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • Here There Be Dragons (Star Trek: The Next Generation #28)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • Debtors' Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 101 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
Perchance to Dream (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #19) Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6) The Covenant of the Crown Deep Domain The Better Man