Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments

Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments

4.69 of 5 stars 4.69  ·  rating details  ·  1,142 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Book by Holland, Jeffrey R.
Published January 1st 2001 by Deseret Book Co (first published January 1998)

Star of Wonder by Paige W. PendletonCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Long Winter by Laura Ingalls WilderSimple Abundance by Sarah Ban BreathnachFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Longing for the Country Life
67th out of 147 books — 26 voters
The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.Jesus the Christ by James E. TalmageHoly Bible by AnonymousStanding for Something by Gordon B. HinckleyThe Miracle of Forgiveness by Spencer W. Kimball
Best LDS non-fiction
182nd out of 183 books — 212 voters

More lists with this book...

Larsen
Jan 25, 2013 Larsen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all adult Latter-day Saints
I was motivated to find and re-read this BYU devotional address because of the principles drawn from it by Amy Petersen Jensen and presented in her BYU devotional address on March 20, 2012, which was published in BYU Magazine, Fall, 2012. Jensen stated that "mass communication technologies impact your body -- and therefore your soul" and that "receiving a message through the Spirit is dependent upon my willingness to listen to that message with my whole soul. ... The language of the Spirit is ....more
Lisa
This talk is an excellent one to understand the spiritual purpose of the sacred sexual relationship between a husband and a wife. It's perfect to teach youth about physical intimacy and all other forms of intimacy. I think it's difficult to strike the perfect balance so as to create the appropriate respect for what is healthy and essential in marriage but can be damaging and destructive outside the bonds of marriage. Elder Holland does an excellent job.
Wendi
I was a freshman at BYU when I sat in the Marriott Center and listened to "President" Holland give this address. I can still remember how absolutely amazed I was at how beautiful this talk was. It has stayed with me for 25 years and was so happy to see it in print.
Heidi
First watched this in a combined RS & Priesthood meeting in a BYU YSA ward. Bought the small pamphlet a year or two later. This talk is always great to re-read. Oft quoted and much to think about and apply to one's life.
Jeffrey
You don't get much better than this on the sacred act of procreation. Elder Holland does an amazing job of teaching and explaining procreation better than anyone I have read or heard. Everybody should listen or read this talk.
Jeff Stockett
It's hard to even call this a book. It is more of a sermon. I downloaded it on my kindle and read it in a half hour.

It is very powerful, nonetheless. It is a sermon on the whys of the sanctity of sexual union.

It focuses in three areas.
1. The affect on our souls
2. The symbolism in the union between husband and wife.
3. The sacrament, or communion with God that exists within the union.

I won't say much more than that, other than to share a few of Elder Holland's words.

"We Latter-day Saints do not...more
Tyler
It will change how you think about the Law of Chastity and you may just start to realize how sacred it is.
Jamie

One of the best talks on intimacy I have ever read!
Bonnie
Feb 27, 2008 Bonnie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Annette
Recommended to Bonnie by: Me
Why we must NOT adopt the world's views about intimacy. Jeffrey R. Holland is a master, and none more than here at explaining why it is wrong to be immorally clean, why fornication/adultery is the sin next to murder, why we hurt ourselves more than anyone by adopting the world's perspective on sex, casual sex, and sex outside of the bonds of marriage.

Love it when I have to go way deep inside to grasp a person smarter than I and how they concluded what they concluded.
Camela
This book is one of my all-time favorites. I am sad that it is currently out of print, so it costs a lot to lay your hands on it. It's a very short book filled with wonderful truth. I like to give it to family as they go through the temple for the first time. I was glad to see that it was just released as a book on CD. Though I prefer to be able to make notes in the margins, this is a good gift alternative.
Kris
As a frequent teacher of youth this book explains like no other why we stay chaste before marriage and monogamous afterward. The short answer is while the bread and water are symbolic, or a sacrament, of our baptisimal covenants, sexual relations are the sacrament of our marriage vows. Be the mamma bird here; read it, digest it, regurgitate it to some hungry, young birds.
Ashley
This is a very quick read and just so well written. Jeffrey R. Holland is my favorite Apostle to listen to. He is so captivating and is so full of conviction. I listened to this book on cd (it only took 45 mins) and he reads it himself. It is about how important it is to be pure. LOVE IT. I have read it twice now and I need to add it to my home library.
Natalie
I first read this as a devotional talk from (I think) BYU. I was a young single adult and it had a significant impact on me (5 stars!). I think it is valuable to review at any age, though my perspective is greatly different now that I have been married for 17 years. My views now are more like, "Oh, yes. Of course." :)
Mandy
This is a great book about the beauty of human intimacy. I would highly recommend it to everyone, but especially youth leaders. I liked Jeffery R. Holland's explanation and it really resonated with me the first time I read this in college. Now, I still love his insights and have used parts of this in seminary.
Heather
I listened to this on CD (read by Holland). I liked it--nice to listen to while in your car on the Sabbath. One of my favorite points he brings up: society really looks down on and punishes those who Destroy life, but we look the other way or even accept as normal when people Create life irresponsibly.
Amber
I was having a hard time finding this "book" when I found out it was actually a BYU Devotional. I searched for a copy and couldn't find it anywhere! I finally found a copy at the link below. You're welcome. Now to go read this talk.

Rebecca
This small book is based on an address given by Elder Holland at BYU, and is pretty much about sexual intimacy and purity from an LDS perspective. I really enjoyed it. There was one part in particular that stood out to me; I'll have to find that bit and quote it.
Cari Banning
The most complete and compelling explanation of the law of chastity. It can trigger a paradigm shift for those that waver. All the pieces fall into place. Elder Holland's presentation is doctrinally based, powerful, brilliant.
Melanie
I loved this book and I love Elder Holland. He is so spiritual. This book was so insightful. I learned so much. This book is a great tool to share with older teenagers on the sacredness of human intimacy.
Michael Adamson
Jun 20, 2008 Michael Adamson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Michael by: Self
Great book. One can come closer to Christ and understand more meaning about the sacrament. A very good book to use with youth in helping them to understand the nature and reasons for morality and sexual purity.
Mary Jane
Jun 29, 2010 Mary Jane rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Religious/Christian
Recommended to Mary Jane by: Jeffrey R. Holland
This is the best book I have ever read about under standing morality and chastity. When I was young, I was always taught to remain sexually pure, but I never understood why. This is a great book about God's "why".
Dianna
The most amazing book on the sacredness of physical intimacy in a marriage relationship. I would recommend that this be read by every parent, young adult, and anyone engaged to be married. It's just that good.
Connie
What a great book/talk. I can't believe I have never read that before. I am amazed that it was written in 1988 and yet is o incredibly applicable now. I think every teenager, actually everyone should read it.
Pyper (momof5)
I was in the devotional when Elder Holland gave this talk back in 1988. Truly one of the best talks ever regarding morality. I have referred back to this talk time and time again. Great for parents of youth.
Every teen and young adult should read this book. Elder Holland is a magnificent speaker and tells you how it is. Spiritually uplifting. Even as an adult who is married I learned a lot from this book.
Peggy
I had to listen to this as an assignment while at Ricks College and it had the most powerful effect on me of anything I've ever heard. It's one I will be sharing with my teenagers.
Aaron
Apr 08, 2011 Aaron rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Religous
Shelves: favorites
Speaks of the sacredness of intimacy. My dear wife owned this book and invited me to read it before we were married. It is short, and also good. This LDS author is one whom I trust.
Mark
Without doubt, one of the best discourses on the importance of marriage. I listen to this almost every month and plan on having my kids read from about age 12. Fantastic.
Willie
This is a very interesting and tasteful explanation of the importance of chastity. Any adult should read this to gain added insight and perspective towards personal purity.
Kimball Larsen
Jun 01, 2008 Kimball Larsen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone, 12 or older
Amazing, insightful, inspired, beautiful, and frank. In this short piece, Elder Holland makes morality plain for everyone and helps us see why our virtue is so precious.
  • All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Our Heritage: A Brief History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
  • Our Latter-Day Hymns: The Stories and the Messages
  • The Infinite Atonement
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • Following Christ: The Parable of the Divers and More Good News
  • A Quiet Heart
  • Spencer W. Kimball, Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland was ordained a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on 23 June 1994. At the time of this call, Elder Holland was serving as a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy, to which he had been called on 1 April 1989. A native of St. George, Utah, he has spent most of his professional life in Church education. He receiv...more
More about Jeffrey R. Holland...
Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon Broken Things to Mend Trusting Jesus Created for Greater Things However Long & Hard the Road