Start by marking “Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments” as Want to Read:
Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments

Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments

4.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,570 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Book by Holland, Jeffrey R.
Published January 1st 2001 by Deseret Book Co (first published January 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments

Life of Pi by Yann MartelThe Happiness Animal by Will JelbertA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniGirl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierThe Pursuit of Happyness by Chris Gardner
Books That Inspire
94th out of 114 books — 31 voters
The Book of Mormon by AnonymousJesus the Christ by James E. TalmageHoly Bible by AnonymousStanding for Something by Gordon B. HinckleyThe Miracle of Forgiveness by Spencer W. Kimball
Best LDS non-fiction
194th out of 195 books — 243 voters

More lists with this book...

Larsen
Jan 25, 2013 Larsen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all adult Latter-day Saints
I was motivated to find and re-read this BYU devotional address because of the principles drawn from it by Amy Petersen Jensen and presented in her BYU devotional address on March 20, 2012, which was published in BYU Magazine, Fall, 2012. Jensen stated that "mass communication technologies impact your body -- and therefore your soul" and that "receiving a message through the Spirit is dependent upon my willingness to listen to that message with my whole soul. ... The language of the Spirit is . ...more
Rachel
Jun 04, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arp
I really loved listening to this. it is short and concise and he explains things so powerfully and plainly as usual.
Julie
Sep 06, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it
I love this talk by Jeffrey R Holland. It is a BYU devotional that he gave in 1988 where he discusses the importance of human intimacy. My favorite quote from this talk is:

"I have heard all my life that it is the young woman who has to assume the responsibility for controlling the limits of intimacy in courtship because a young man cannot. What an unacceptable response to such a serious issue! What kind of man is he, what priesthood or power or strength or self-control does this man have that l
Lisa
Aug 12, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This talk is an excellent one to understand the spiritual purpose of the sacred sexual relationship between a husband and a wife. It's perfect to teach youth about physical intimacy and all other forms of intimacy. I think it's difficult to strike the perfect balance so as to create the appropriate respect for what is healthy and essential in marriage but can be damaging and destructive outside the bonds of marriage. Elder Holland does an excellent job.
Wendi
Nov 08, 2012 Wendi rated it it was amazing
I was a freshman at BYU when I sat in the Marriott Center and listened to "President" Holland give this address. I can still remember how absolutely amazed I was at how beautiful this talk was. It has stayed with me for 25 years and was so happy to see it in print.
Heidi
Aug 23, 2012 Heidi rated it it was amazing
First watched this in a combined RS & Priesthood meeting in a BYU YSA ward. Bought the small pamphlet a year or two later. This talk is always great to re-read. Oft quoted and much to think about and apply to one's life.
Jeffrey
Feb 10, 2012 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: relationships
You don't get much better than this on the sacred act of procreation. Elder Holland does an amazing job of teaching and explaining procreation better than anyone I have read or heard. Everybody should listen or read this talk.
Jeff Stockett
Jul 04, 2012 Jeff Stockett rated it really liked it
Shelves: religous
It's hard to even call this a book. It is more of a sermon. I downloaded it on my kindle and read it in a half hour.

It is very powerful, nonetheless. It is a sermon on the whys of the sanctity of sexual union.

It focuses in three areas.
1. The affect on our souls
2. The symbolism in the union between husband and wife.
3. The sacrament, or communion with God that exists within the union.

I won't say much more than that, other than to share a few of Elder Holland's words.

"We Latter-day Saints do not
Laura Burwell
Jul 15, 2016 Laura Burwell rated it really liked it
Beautiful book. It makes a powerful and loving case for honoring the law of chastity. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Tyler
Mar 20, 2014 Tyler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
It will change how you think about the Law of Chastity and you may just start to realize how sacred it is.
Jordan
Mar 11, 2016 Jordan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church-read
A succinct and powerful talk on the sacred power of intimacy and the why of God's moral laws.
Jamie
Apr 06, 2014 Jamie rated it it was amazing

One of the best talks on intimacy I have ever read!
David Barney
Well written for an intimate subject.
Chrisanne
Oct 21, 2015 Chrisanne rated it it was amazing
No one says it quite like he does.
Ssgustafsongmail.Com
Aug 23, 2015 Ssgustafsongmail.Com marked it as to-read
burned under church
Bonnie
Feb 27, 2008 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Annette
Recommended to Bonnie by: Me
Why we must NOT adopt the world's views about intimacy. Jeffrey R. Holland is a master, and none more than here at explaining why it is wrong to be immorally clean, why fornication/adultery is the sin next to murder, why we hurt ourselves more than anyone by adopting the world's perspective on sex, casual sex, and sex outside of the bonds of marriage.

Love it when I have to go way deep inside to grasp a person smarter than I and how they concluded what they concluded.
Camela
Oct 20, 2009 Camela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
This book is one of my all-time favorites. I am sad that it is currently out of print, so it costs a lot to lay your hands on it. It's a very short book filled with wonderful truth. I like to give it to family as they go through the temple for the first time. I was glad to see that it was just released as a book on CD. Though I prefer to be able to make notes in the margins, this is a good gift alternative.
Kris
Jul 21, 2008 Kris rated it really liked it
As a frequent teacher of youth this book explains like no other why we stay chaste before marriage and monogamous afterward. The short answer is while the bread and water are symbolic, or a sacrament, of our baptisimal covenants, sexual relations are the sacrament of our marriage vows. Be the mamma bird here; read it, digest it, regurgitate it to some hungry, young birds.
Ashley
Feb 07, 2010 Ashley rated it it was amazing
This is a very quick read and just so well written. Jeffrey R. Holland is my favorite Apostle to listen to. He is so captivating and is so full of conviction. I listened to this book on cd (it only took 45 mins) and he reads it himself. It is about how important it is to be pure. LOVE IT. I have read it twice now and I need to add it to my home library.
Natalie
Oct 01, 2013 Natalie rated it really liked it
I first read this as a devotional talk from (I think) BYU. I was a young single adult and it had a significant impact on me (5 stars!). I think it is valuable to review at any age, though my perspective is greatly different now that I have been married for 17 years. My views now are more like, "Oh, yes. Of course." :)
Mandy
Mar 14, 2008 Mandy rated it it was amazing
This is a great book about the beauty of human intimacy. I would highly recommend it to everyone, but especially youth leaders. I liked Jeffery R. Holland's explanation and it really resonated with me the first time I read this in college. Now, I still love his insights and have used parts of this in seminary.
Heather
May 12, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
I listened to this on CD (read by Holland). I liked it--nice to listen to while in your car on the Sabbath. One of my favorite points he brings up: society really looks down on and punishes those who Destroy life, but we look the other way or even accept as normal when people Create life irresponsibly.
Amber
May 17, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing
I was having a hard time finding this "book" when I found out it was actually a BYU Devotional. I searched for a copy and couldn't find it anywhere! I finally found a copy at the link below. You're welcome. Now to go read this talk.

Rebecca
Jun 10, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
This small book is based on an address given by Elder Holland at BYU, and is pretty much about sexual intimacy and purity from an LDS perspective. I really enjoyed it. There was one part in particular that stood out to me; I'll have to find that bit and quote it.
Cari Banning
Aug 03, 2009 Cari Banning rated it it was amazing
The most complete and compelling explanation of the law of chastity. It can trigger a paradigm shift for those that waver. All the pieces fall into place. Elder Holland's presentation is doctrinally based, powerful, brilliant.
Melanie
Feb 10, 2010 Melanie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and I love Elder Holland. He is so spiritual. This book was so insightful. I learned so much. This book is a great tool to share with older teenagers on the sacredness of human intimacy.
Mary Jane
Jun 29, 2010 Mary Jane rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Religious/Christian
Recommended to Mary Jane by: Jeffrey R. Holland
This is the best book I have ever read about under standing morality and chastity. When I was young, I was always taught to remain sexually pure, but I never understood why. This is a great book about God's "why".
Dianna
Apr 22, 2008 Dianna rated it it was amazing
The most amazing book on the sacredness of physical intimacy in a marriage relationship. I would recommend that this be read by every parent, young adult, and anyone engaged to be married. It's just that good.
Heather
May 04, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: church-books
This isn't a full book more like a pamphlet. I really liked the title but had no idea that the topic was chastity. Elder Holland share a few ideas I hadn't ever heard before that really make sense.
Connie
Sep 18, 2013 Connie rated it it was amazing
What a great book/talk. I can't believe I have never read that before. I am amazed that it was written in 1988 and yet is o incredibly applicable now. I think every teenager, actually everyone should read it.
  • Not My Will, but Thine
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • House of Glory: Finding Personal Meaning in the Temple
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • A Disciple's Life: The Biography of Neal A. Maxwell
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • A Quiet Heart
  • Our Latter-Day Hymns: The Stories and the Messages
  • Promised Messiah: The First Coming of Christ
  • Church History In The Fullness Of Times: Religion 341 343: The History Of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints (32502)
  • Pure in Heart
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Spencer W. Kimball, Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • Following Christ: The Parable of the Divers and More Good News
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland was ordained a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on 23 June 1994. At the time of this call, Elder Holland was serving as a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy, to which he had been called on 1 April 1989. A native of St. George, Utah, he has spent most of his professional life in Church education. He receiv ...more
More about Jeffrey R. Holland...