Start by marking “Off Balance: Getting Beyond the Work-Life Balance Myth to Personal and Professional Satisfaction” as Want to Read:

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  351 ratings  ·  53 reviews
The prescriptive follow-up to the "New York Times" bestseller "The Dream Manager."
One of the major issues in our lives today is work-life balance. Everyone wants it; no one has it. But Matthew Kelly believes that work- life balance was a mistake from the start. Because we don't really want balance. We want satisfaction.
Kelly lays out the system he uses with his clients,
Published September 1st 2011 by Hudson Street Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Off Balance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off Balance

I really enjoyed this book, though the assessment questions aren't great in audio format. The author's perspective of the role of work and personal life, how we use them to address our values and develop ourselves, and the (mental) approach to having life satisfaction were described well. The challenge is always that once you identify what's important to you, that making those changes can be difficult. While he spoke about this, I thought there could have been more detail on both identifying val ...more
Off Balance, by Matthew Kelly, goes beyond time management and work-life balance to discuss overall satisfaction with life and how to increase it. He begins by asking the reader what he/she likes and doesn’t like about his/her life. He then critiques the individualism, the hedonism, and the minimalism that characterizes American culture today. He offers the alternative of becoming the “best-version-of-yourself” that you can be as the most effective strategy to achieve satisfaction.

He defines sat
Clare Cannon
This was a surprisingly helpful book which was great to read through, but it could be even more useful as an aid to a group workshop, perhaps for young professionals starting out, or a professional development session for colleagues.

Its premise is to help us to learn how to become the best version of ourselves that we can be. Instead of focusing on a balance between everything, it focuses on helping you find satisfaction at the deepest level through identifying and accomplishing what is most imp
I wouldn't call this book a gold mine... it has some bits of copper, mixed in amongst doggie poo. And not the dry kind that can be set aside for a compost heap. The wet, smelly kind that sticks to the bottom of your shoe and has things growing in it.

The author begins with a story about a man who is satisfied with life, in a story designed to make ambition look bad. He then spends the rest of the book explaining why happiness is bad and dedication to your employer... not to humanity, not to your
Kevin Orpana
If you have struggled with applying work-life balance to your life, I'd highly recommend this book. Has several helpful tips and exercises as well as a good central thesis of switching focus from managing time to managing your energy; seeking a satisfying life instead of a balanced one; and not feeling guilty of unsuccessfully being "balanced" between life and work due to an unrealistic expectation established by a faulty interpreted concept. Really worth it and I'll revisit it again for pointer ...more
This is one the best self-improvement books I have read in recent years.

Most of the self-improvement books are set in the context of how to improve our style/communication/interaction/self in a professional setting. This books nixes that idea.

The author lays the responsibility for satisfaction totally on the reader. He embarks on a journey explaining how work-life balance is a bad goal and instead we should focus on Personal and Professional Satisfaction (PPS) as our objective. The examples ar
Aviv Sheetrit
Kelly's writing is very elementary; he repeats the same sentences over and over again in a paragraph in different wording. (For example: "The important point to make is that level one [low energy] is unavoidable to some extent. We're all going to have to experience it from time to time; it is the extent that we have some control over. How often we experience level one and how long we experience it are what we have influence over.") An easy read you can get through in one sitting, but really noth ...more
Jon Campo
What will drive even higher levels of human performance in the 21st century? The answer is: energy management.
I thought the overall idea of making sure to integrate your work and personal life and having a "strategy" for managing your personal endeavors was a good one. However, at times, the book seemed rather "gimmicky." It was like an infomercial about following this simple steps to achieve happiness. The ideas he outlined in themselves are good, but it seemed that everything was packaged into easy steps, or strategies. But there were so many strategies, it was hard to keep them straight. I also think ...more
Mohammad Jalili
you feel bigger and more powerful after reading this
Off Balance is based on the premise that the often discussed subject of work-life balance is a misconception and that work and life are intertwined to a degree that makes them impossible to separate. Someone unhappy in their job is likely to be unhappy in their personal life and vice versa. Instead, author Matthew Kelly focuses on a principle he feels is more applicable to a well lived life: satisfaction, which includes the desire to be “the-best-version-of-myself” personally and professionally. ...more
The Joy of Booking
I have become a much bigger proponent of work-life balance in the last year than I could have imagined. So much so that I quit my dream job, took a forty percent pay cut, and moved across the country to have a better chance of adding some “life” to my own work-life balance. So I really wanted to love this book, but I think at best I can only say that I liked it all right. (Which, really, is not the worst comment someone can make about a book.)

And the kind of sad reason is that there’s really goo
Off Balance: Getting Beyond the Work-Life Balance Myth to Personal and Professional Satisfaction by Mathew Kelly

“Off Balance" is a very helpful and practical book on how to help the reader design and build a more satisfying life in both the personal and professional arenas. Best-selling author and consultant, Mathew Kelly, promises a more satisfying life through a personalized system that readers can apply to their lives. This useful 160-page book includes the following five chapters: 1. The Bes
Chris Ross
I listened to the audio book and it is outstanding! It is short and to the point. Matthew Kelly challenges the work-life balance myth with satisfaction and whether or not you are satisfied with certain aspects of your life.
Essentially the book is about priorities, choices (the choices we make), and energy expended on certain things. This is a great book that every employee of corporate America should read or listen to and then read again.
I picked this up as an Audible Daily Deal with the idea that it might be useful to my husband, but found very little practical advice to apply to his time management, except to tell him that it was okay to prioritize work over family when he needs to. I found the tone cheesy and the writing recursive. I wouldn't really recommend this to anyone outside of people who find business seminars revitalizing.
I read this book in two sittings it is straight to the point.

1.) Have your priorities and don't waiver on them in life.
2.) Satisfaction is the goal of life not happiness. Satisfaction last longer and happiness is a fleeting moment.
3.) Work influences life and life influences work. It is absurd to think we can keep them separate these days. We are no longer factory workers.
4.)A satisfied and healthy person is good employee.
I listened to the audio version of this book and really liked what the author had to say about NOT achieving work/life balance, but instead seeking satisfaction in all aspects of life. BUT I feel like I'll need to get a physical copy of the book so I can read it with more intention. Totally worth it though. Kelly has some good ideas that I want to try. I especially liked what he had to say about an individual's energy and how to increase your energy levels.
This book favors personal and professional satisfaction under the premise that real work balance doesn't exist and it is not something you want anyway. there are some interesting ideas in the book that make you think about what is important and how fuzzy sometimes the line between work and personal life gets.
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. There is a lot of good advice. I like the idea of satisfaction transcending external circumstance and guiding your life into becoming the best version of yourself. I see this as a personal guide more than professional, but since the two are so intertwined and how we feel in each affects the other, this was an excellent guide for life in general.
recommended by a colleague: quick/short read (a bit repetitive and borderline preachy, though) with the basic premise that satisfaction is what we really all seek ("no one ever says they want more work" in the work/life balance concept). nothing earth-shattering but a helpful reminder w/ some frameworks to prioritize our lives well.
Ray Campbell
Another short recipe for satisfaction by setting priorities, planning, asking oneself the right questions and holding oneself accountable. There is nothing wrong in this book, but nothing new. I did get the impression that Kelly is a workaholic and wrote this book as an elaborate rationalization.
Mohamad Fakih
The book contains lots of great ideas. One of the first ideas is that people want life satisfaction, not life balance. Life satisfaction can comes from "imbalanced" focus on an area in one's life, e.g. work, at certain times, and at other areas at another times.
Leana M
I'll give it four stars for some original ideas that can be reflected upon to be useful in the choices I make for my life. It's a short book (less than four hours) which I got for under $2 from audible member daily deal. I'm glad I read it.
Emerson John Tiu Ng
This book defy the myth of work life balance.... to some extent I agree that life-work balance depends entirely with our decisions... priorities...etc... A nice self help book...
Julie Cordova
I was so inspired by this book that I decided to read it after listening to it on audio. I will add to this review once I have obtained the book. I should have it before the end of the week. Kudos to Matthew Kelly for clarifying something so simple: the difference between a balanced life and a satisfactory life. This simple perspective is so inspiring and well...satisfying.
When I first starting listening to this book, it annoyed me because there was an awful lot of word repetition. Sometimes book to audio adaptation is choppy and annoying. But by the end of the book, I was in love with the message and advice. So much so that I restarted the book and listened to it all over again. There is some great advice in here about the work/life balance façade. Mostly that work/life balance is impossible, and that instead the focus should be on personal and professional satis ...more
Silver Kuklase
I have read many self help books. This one was decent as well. Listened it when I was jogging and doing housework.

Gave me some more tips to plan my life more and also revised information I have read in other books, but have not been successful implanting it to my life.

Decent. :)
Great self help book and would recommend it to anyone who feels they need to get their life in order. Could reread in a few years for inspiration.
Good clarification about "balance" being impossible and "satisfaction" being the goal
This might be the only self help book where I read the whole book
  • The Law of Happiness: How Spiritual Wisdom and Modern Science Can Change Your Life (The Secret Things of God)
  • The Catholic Girl's Survival Guide for the Single Years: The Nuts and Bolts of Staying Sane and Happy While Waiting for Mr. Right
  • The Adversity Advantage: Turning Everyday Struggles Into Everyday Greatness
  • Surrender! The Life Changing Power of Doing God's Will
  • The Key: The Missing Secret for Attracting Anything You Want
  • The 11 Laws of Likability: Relationship Networking . . . Because People Do Business with People They Like
  • Receiving Answers to Our Prayers
  • Where We Got The Bible: Our Debt to the Catholic Church
  • Answering the New Atheism: Dismantling Dawkins' Case Against God
  • Death is a Cabaret (Antique Lover, #1)
  • ACT with Love: Stop Struggling, Reconcile Differences, and Strengthen Your Relationship with Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • Users, Not Customers: Who Really Determines the Success of Your Business
  • Extreme Makeover: Women Transformed by Christ, Not Conformed to the Culture
  • Leaden Skies (Silver Rush, #3)
  • The Longevity Project: Surprising Discoveries for Health and Long Life from the Landmark Eight-Decade S tudy
  • The One Thing Is Three: How the Most Holy Trinity Explains Everything
  • Language A to Z (Great Courses, #2291)
  • The Fix
Matthew Kelly was born in Sydney, Australia, where he began speaking and writing in 1993. Since that time he has travelled in more than fifty countries and spoken to over four million people. He has written twelve books which have appeared on the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today bestseller lists and have been published in twenty-five languages. His titles include: The Rhythm of L ...more
More about Matthew Kelly...

“We tend to overestimate what we can do in a day and underestimate what we can do in a week.” 3 likes
“part of growing to maturity, part of growing up, requires that we recognize and accept that we cannot have it all.” 2 likes