Start by marking “The Earth Is the Lord's: The Inner World of the Jew in Eastern Europe” as Want to Read:
The Earth Is the Lord's: The Inner World of the Jew in Eastern Europe

The Earth Is the Lord's: The Inner World of the Jew in Eastern Europe

Powerfully and beautifully portrays a bygone Jewish culture.

The story about the life of the Jews in Eastern Europe which has come to an end in our days is what I have tried to tell in this essay. I have not talked about their books, their art or institutions, but about their daily life, about their habits and customs, about their attitudes toward the basic things in life,
Paperback, reprint, 128 pages
Published March 1st 1995 by Jewish Lights Publishing (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about The Earth Is the Lord's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Earth Is the Lord's

Olivia
May 15, 2011 Olivia rated it really liked it
Shelves: sheila
I liked this book, which was recommended to me by a retired rabbi I hang out with sometimes. I am a little sceptical about the romanticisation of the lifestyle and treatment of Jews in Eastern Europe that led to this. But on the other hand, it is a beautiful depiction of the rewards of intellectual and religious commitment, and the writing is as always lovely.

--- QUOTES I LIKED OR THOUGHT WERE INTERESTING ---

"What [the Ashkenazic moralist or Hasid] sought was boundless fervor, praying and learn
Oleg Kagan
Aug 13, 2009 Oleg Kagan rated it really liked it
Shelves: judaism
A readable, but highly rhetorical series of essays extolling the virtues of the (Ashkenazi) Jews of Eastern Europe. The text is inspiring, if not especially educational, and the wood engravings by Ilya Schor are very effective. I'm not sure whether the intended audience for this book are Jews or non-Jews; on one hand it gives some insight of Eastern European Jews, on the other it 'diefies' the Jews to such an extent that non-Jews may be slightly embarrassed reading it.

I finished this short book
Holly
Sep 30, 2014 Holly rated it did not like it
So, about 15-16 years ago, I was extremely interested in mysticism, including the kabbalah. A friend recommended a couple of books by Heschel, The Sabbath, which I liked reasonably well, and this, which is self-congratulatory bullshit propaganda. I guess there's a chance I would have liked it OK if I'd gotten around to reading it when I bought it in 1998.... But I hope I would have known even then what's wrong with passages like this:

It was not by accident that the Jews of Eastern Europe thought
Adam Glantz
Feb 28, 2013 Adam Glantz rated it it was amazing
A series of essays united by a common theme. Heschel makes the case for Ashkenazic culture. It produced no architectural monuments, and its literature is difficult to comprehend by those from other backgrounds; but it grew at its own pace and according to its own norms, and was therefore authentic. Its values were egalitarian, emphasizing spiritual nourishment for all, rather than a Nietzschean grandeur only attainable by an elite few. Its mysticism colored all life's experiences and found many ...more
Lewis Weinstein
Dec 01, 2011 Lewis Weinstein rated it really liked it
The overwhelming impression from this book is the passion with which Eastern European Jews experienced God. This was an every day matter for them, and involved every action of their lives. Their constant tension was to honor God, and not to slip by failing to observe with enthusiasm all of God's commandments. This was literally the purpose of their lives.

Heschel writes beautifully and clearly. His other books - in particular The Sabbath, Between God and Man, and God in Search of Man - are all mo
Sean
Jan 26, 2010 Sean rated it really liked it
Shelves: heschel, judaism
This is a great book that serves as an introduction to Heschel's thought. He admits that life for Eastern European Jews did not always look like how he portrayed it. There was mass persecution and poverty, but he wanted to focus on the spiritual fullness of the people. Unfortunately this life that he was raised in was completely wiped out during HaShoah. Well worth a read.

Read a second time in May-June 2011.
A.E. Reiff
Feb 13, 2009 A.E. Reiff rated it really liked it
Always the tribes and folk peoples know the first priority is to survive, to live. If this is not a good time to mention this I apologize. In the first principle of survival, "...our people attained the highest degree of inwardness."
Jasonlylescampbell
Apr 21, 2009 Jasonlylescampbell rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
A profound little book. The beauty of holiness, the idea of our lives being the song and our deeds singing to the world ... or creating havoc and chaos. I think there is much there for a Christian to face. Especially the meaninglessness that many feel about their lives in our times.
Monika
Monika rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2010
William Guice
William Guice rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Noah G
Noah G rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2013
Virginia S
Virginia S rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2014
Gail
Gail rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2007
Gerald
Gerald rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2015
Markaaronfox
Markaaronfox rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2012
Micah
Micah rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2012
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2012
AJ S
AJ S rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
Bob
Bob rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Maciej
Maciej rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2010
Jean Kelly
Nov 23, 2015 Jean Kelly rated it really liked it
A memorial really to the murdered Eastern European Jews and their way of life.
Seth Rogovoy
Seth Rogovoy rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2008
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2011
David Lapin
David Lapin rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2014
Arkady Sandler
Arkady Sandler rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2013
Ethan J
Ethan J rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2011
Dov Zeller
Dov Zeller rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Heschel was a descendant of preeminent rabbinic families of Europe, both on his father's (Moshe Mordechai Heschel, who died of influenza in 1916) and mother's (Reizel Perlow Heschel) side, and a descendant of Rebbe Avrohom Yehoshua Heshl of Apt and other dynasties. He was the youngest of six children including his siblings: Sarah, Dvora Miriam, Esther Sima, Gittel, and Jacob. In his teens he recei ...more
More about Abraham Joshua Heschel...