Start by marking “The Earth Is the Lord's: The Inner World of the Jew in Eastern Europe” as Want to Read:
The Earth Is the Lord's: The Inner World of the Jew in Eastern Europe

The Earth Is the Lord's: The Inner World of the Jew in Eastern Europe

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Powerfully and beautifully portrays a bygone Jewish culture.

The story about the life of the Jews in Eastern Europe which has come to an end in our days is what I have tried to tell in this essay. I have not talked about their books, their art or institutions, but about their daily life, about their habits and customs, about their attitudes toward the basic things in life,...more
Paperback, reprint, 128 pages
Published March 1st 1995 by Jewish Lights Publishing (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about The Earth Is the Lord's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Earth Is the Lord's

Olivia
I liked this book, which was recommended to me by a retired rabbi I hang out with sometimes. I am a little sceptical about the romanticisation of the lifestyle and treatment of Jews in Eastern Europe that led to this. But on the other hand, it is a beautiful depiction of the rewards of intellectual and religious commitment, and the writing is as always lovely.

--- QUOTES I LIKED OR THOUGHT WERE INTERESTING ---

"What [the Ashkenazic moralist or Hasid] sought was boundless fervor, praying and learn...more
Adam Glantz
Best viewed as a series of essays, which don't always integrate perfectly with each other, though common themes are present throughout the book. Heschel conveys the value and power of Ashkenazic spiritual culture in terms that are usually comprehensible and always sincere. This culture produced no architectural monuments, and its great literary works are difficult to comprehend by students from other backgrounds. But it grew at its own pace and according to its own norms for many centuries, and...more
Lewis Weinstein
The overwhelming impression from this book is the passion with which Eastern European Jews experienced God. This was an every day matter for them, and involved every action of their lives. Their constant tension was to honor God, and not to slip by failing to observe with enthusiasm all of God's commandments. This was literally the purpose of their lives.

Heschel writes beautifully and clearly. His other books - in particular The Sabbath, Between God and Man, and God in Search of Man - are all mo...more
Oleg Kagan
A readable, but highly rhetorical series of essays extolling the virtues of the (Ashkenazi) Jews of Eastern Europe. The text is inspiring, if not especially educational, and the wood engravings by Ilya Schor are very effective. I'm not sure whether the intended audience for this book are Jews or non-Jews; on one hand it gives some insight of Eastern European Jews, on the other it 'diefies' the Jews to such an extent that non-Jews may be slightly embarrassed reading it.

I finished this short book...more
Sean
This is a great book that serves as an introduction to Heschel's thought. He admits that life for Eastern European Jews did not always look like how he portrayed it. There was mass persecution and poverty, but he wanted to focus on the spiritual fullness of the people. Unfortunately this life that he was raised in was completely wiped out during HaShoah. Well worth a read.

Read a second time in May-June 2011.
Jasonlylescampbell
A profound little book. The beauty of holiness, the idea of our lives being the song and our deeds singing to the world ... or creating havoc and chaos. I think there is much there for a Christian to face. Especially the meaninglessness that many feel about their lives in our times.
AE Reiff
Always the tribes and folk peoples know the first priority is to survive, to live. If this is not a good time to mention this I apologize. In the first principle of survival, "...our people attained the highest degree of inwardness."
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Stacey Thompson
Stacey Thompson marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Dan
Dan added it
Apr 02, 2014
Jeffrey
Jeffrey marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Leonard Garner
Leonard Garner marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Sasha M.
Sasha M. marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Sasha M.
Sasha M. marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Arkady Sandler
Arkady Sandler marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Katie Banks
Katie Banks marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Eleneczka
Eleneczka marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Vitali
Vitali marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Heschel was a descendant of preeminent rabbinic families of Europe, both on his father's (Moshe Mordechai Heschel, who died of influenza in 1916) and mother's (Reizel Perlow Heschel) side, and a descendant of Rebbe Avrohom Yehoshua Heshl of Apt and other dynasties. He was the youngest of six children including his siblings: Sarah, Dvora Miriam, Esther Sima, Gittel, and Jacob. In his teens he recei...more
More about Abraham Joshua Heschel...
The Sabbath: Its Meaning for Modern Man God in Search of Man: A Philosophy of Judaism The Prophets Man Is Not Alone: A Philosophy of Religion I Asked For Wonder: A Spiritual Anthology