Start by marking “Men Against the Sea” as Want to Read:
Men Against the Sea

Men Against the Sea (The Bounty Trilogy #2)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  480 ratings  ·  27 reviews
MEN AGAINST THE SEA is the epic story of the 19 loyal men who, with Captain Bligh at the helm, were set adrift in a 23-foot open launch. Their 3,600-mile voyage remains one of the greatest feats of courage and adventure in the annals of the sea.
Mass Market Paperback, 158 pages
Published March 28th 1972 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group (first published January 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Men Against the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Men Against the Sea

Walter
In this, the second installment of the Bounty trilogy, the jettisoned crew of Captain Bligh's 23 foot launch travels 3600 miles from the island of Tofoa to the Dutch colony of Timor. This novel is based on a true story of Captain Bligh's miracle, whereby he saved the lives of 18 of the 19 men who were marooned with him on the little launch to fend for themselves in the vastness of the South Pacific.

Honestly, I enjoyed the "Mutiny on the Bounty" better, but "Mutiny" had it all - adventure, the in
Bernard Norcott-mahany
Captain Bligh is my hero. I know: you’re likely reading that statement and assuming that I’ve gone off the deep end. Captain Bligh, a hero?! But I’m not alone in saying that.

So says Thomas Ledward, Acting Surgeon of HMS Bounty and the other loyal seamen put off the Bounty by the mutineers, when they took control of the ship on 28 April 1789. While the mutineers had enough scruples not to execute Bligh and those who remained loyal to him, the only alternative they had was to set them adrift in t
Kashfia Nehrin
though took a little time to finish it but it's fact that captain Bligh is one of the greatest inspirational characters I have ever met while reading books. Awesome classic and yes indeed this is Mr. Captain Bligh has got an awesome personality. The days in sea is the perfect reminder for all , the perfect adventure and struggle.
Brian
You couldn't ask for anymore out of this story. You know exactly what you're going to get, but it delivers.

The narration is straightforward and likable, and the perspective seems appropriately representative of the times. I empathized with and admired the men's feelings for the sturdy launch that ferried them along their impossible journey, and felt a sadness once it had to go. I only wish I knew more/could remember some of the many boat and sailing terminology used.
Mark
Men Against the Sea is a nice piece of historical fiction, set in 1789, based on the nautical log and personal writings of Captain Bligh chronicling the 3,652 mile voyage 19 men jammed into a 23 foot row-boat. These guys were on the losing side of the whole mutiny on the Bounty thing. I liked Nordhoff and Hall's exhaustive research which produced a book that was both entertaining to read and as factual as possible. After weeks of eating nothing but bread and water these guy's hit the Great Barri ...more
Charly
Jun 10, 2014 Charly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone.
This was the second book of the Bounty Trilogy and I found it very entertaining. It is the story of the Captain and men who were cast off the Bounty in a 23 foot launch and their perils as they crossed 3600 miles of open sea to find a European presence in the Southern Hemisphere. A much better read than I expected.
Jeffrey Bean
The trilogy is wonderful.
Zuzana
Slightly outdated style but still very nice reading.
Chris
Fascinating account of an open water journey across the south Pacific. Bligh's crew mutiny and send him off the ship with a small crew of faithfuls. An expert seaman, he demonstrates incredible leadership when he pilots this small rowboat and a handful of men across hundreds of miles of open ocean. Their bravery and resourcefulness are surpassed, in my opinion, only by Earnest Shackelton who made a similar trek under conditions even more trying.
Hope
Men Against the Sea is not as good as Mutiny on the Bounty, but how much purchase can you get with 19 men on a 23 foot launch with only 8 inches of freeboard amidships? I seem to be going through a 12 year old boy phase. At any rate, this is a truly amazing and horrifying account of Captain Bligh's heroic sail to safety over 3600 miles of the Pacific Ocean in an open boat. Fascinating, unimaginable, and a true story.
Mary
Amazing story (based on historical records) of Captain Bligh's voyage of over 3600 miles with 19 men in a small boat over open sea to reach land after being ousted from the HMS Bounty. Bligh comes across a bit too nice in the book, although he certainly deserves kudos for getting all but one man (who was killed by unfriendly natives on an island on the way) back to safety.
Barbara
It is nice to be able to follow the mutiny from all the different points of view and also to see what happened to the three different groups involved in this mutiny. This was the second part of the story and I have just finished the third, can't wait to see what happens. This is also a very compelling read due to the hardships the crew has to endure.
Rebecca
4 stars

A grand retelling of Captain Bligh's remarkable voyage with 19 men in an open boat across 3600 miles of ocean. Regardless of Mr. Bligh's actions which contributed to the mutiny, this trip is nothing less than heroic.

Should be read shortly after Mutiny on the Bounty.
Bill Westenberg
Second book in the Bounty trilogy, this book takes you on the stunning voyage of Bligh and the other members of the Bounty who were mutinied against. Another wonderful look in to human nature. One leaves the book with very conflicted feelings towards Bligh.
Katie
This book was an incredible tale of survival at sea. I was very moved by what these men went through and the will they had to survive. This was an incredible story and book!
K.c.
A story of endurance and suffering. Remarkable, though not as dramatic as Mutiny on the Bounty. A title good enough to name your band after.
Ebookwormy
While this was slow at points, the repetition of days and tasks made you identify with the sailors that much more. An incredible journey.
Debby
Fantastic story- a heart stopping page turner better than any modern day thriller.
a story of hope in mankind.
Michael SaharaFrog
So far, a very interesting and enjoyable trilogy. I hope to stumble across the next installment some day.
Billie
Another library discard I picked up. 2nd in set. Can't put them down.
Michelle
By far, my favorite of the whole great series! Loved it!
Joeann Fossland
Brutally descriptive! What a story!
Tommyb
  • Shamans Through Time
  • The War for All the Oceans: From Nelson at the Nile to Napoleon at Waterloo
  • The Testament: A novel
  • Tales of the Fish Patrol
  • The Scandal of Father Brown (Father Brown, #5)
  • The Bounty Mutiny
  • Cochrane: The Real Master and Commander
  • Submarine!
  • A Journey Through Tudor England: Hampton Court Palace and the Tower of London to Stratford-Upon-Avon and Thornbury Castle
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • The Ill-Made Knight (The Once and Future King, #3)
  • Legends of Charlemagne
  • The Captain from Connecticut
  • Stories For Christmas
  • Alexander Dolgun's Story: An American in the Gulag
  • The Talisman
  • Voyage: A Novel of 1896
This describes the 20th century novelist, most famous for Mutiny on the Bounty. For the 19th century journalist and author, see Charles Nordhoff.

Charles Bernard Nordhoff was an English-born American novelist and traveler.
More about Charles Bernard Nordhoff...

The Bounty Trilogy (3 books)
  • Mutiny on the Bounty (The Bounty Trilogy, #1)
  • Pitcairn's Island (The Bounty Trilogy, #3)
Mutiny on the Bounty (The Bounty Trilogy, #1) The Mutiny on the Bounty Trilogy Pitcairn's Island (The Bounty Trilogy, #3) Falcons of France Botany Bay