Start by marking “Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist: Effective Modeling in Rdfs and Owl” as Want to Read:
Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist: Effective Modeling in Rdfs and Owl

Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist: Effective Modeling in Rdfs and Owl

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Semantic Web models and technologies provide information in machine-readable languages that enable computers to access the Web more intelligently and perform tasks automatically without the direction of users. These technologies are relatively recent and advancing rapidly, creating a set of unique challenges for those developing applications.

"Semantic Web for the Working O
Published May 14th 2014 by Morgan Kaufmann Publishers (first published April 25th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist

TK Keanini
Out of all of my books on the subject, this is the one you want to read first and read twice.

Unlike the other books, it takes you through real examples and is very hands on. If you had the Protoge editor in hand, this book, and a pot of coffee, you would rock in a day or two.

Update: The first edition is full of errors and they finally put up an Errata section on the web.
Nick
I've wanted to read this for a while, so when some semantic web stuff came up at work, I was happy for the excuse to pick it up. It does a good job of explaining many common RDFS and OWL constructs - a few patterns and the terms that these standards define, with their meaning. It works through examples and shows how particular predicates can be used and what they should be interpreted as meaning.

However, I think this book wasn't quite what I had been looking for. It's nice to know that this part
Ross
If you're interested in the semantic web, but are struggling to piece together the alphabet soup of acronyms and standards, then this is the book for you. I was in that position until I devoured this book. All my questions were answered (I now have twice as many questions, but they're new questions).

Overall, it's rare to find a 'text book' that is also a page turner, but this comes pretty close. The writing style is fluid and informative without being dry. The examples are understandable and suf
Bill Slawski
This is a good starting point for people interested in learning about the Semantic Web, and covers the major topics in a way that makes you think clearly about them.,
Aravind Sesagiri Raamkumar
This book is excellent for any kind of beginners in Semantic Web even though the book title claims to be for the Ontologists. A decent amount of text is contributed in explaining about the elements in the Semantic Web stack. The sequential approach of introducing concepts with real world examples, makes it so very easy for the reader to build on his existing knowledge. It doesn't frighten you at any stage with the complexity of OWL constructs and I think that's where this book succeeds. You get ...more
Gopala Krishna Koduri
This is an excellent book to get started with the concepts of semantic web, not just for ontologists but anyone. Every other page has an example that help readers to comprehend the concepts with ease. The flow of topics is natural (Intro->RDF->Inferencing and querying->RDF-Plus->OWL), and the chapters like ch. 4 (Semantic Web application architecture), ch. 9 (Using RDFS-Plus in the wild) give a bird's eye view of the topics which help the reader to know which part of it is being disc ...more
Matteo Tomasulo
Very recommended book on this topic. Oriented on explain and not on write a tons of dumb notions.

Useful the "challenges" parts where the author propose and solve some typical problems in semantic modeling with standard modeling patterns.
The main example are available on the book site: http://workingontologist.org/

I read by now this book as a reference book reading specific chapters on the specific area I needed to study but I will read it cover to cover since I got a very good impression.
I'm not a working ontologist, but I found this to be one of the most clearly written introductions to the semantic web and data modeling with RDF that I've read to date.
Dan
Allemang has written precisely the book I needed to begin doing ontology modeling. He provides more detail than most shorter-format pieces (and excluding the all-too-familiar Pizza modeling exercise), while writing in prose that does not get lost in the technospeak that many standards documents employ. This book will be kept close at hand over the next few years, I'm sure, so that I can consult it as new subtleties of semantic modeling occur to me and I need more detail.
Bob S.
I love the practical orientation of this book. Like any good example of this type, it covers many counter-intuitive colloquialisms that will make modeling in RDFS/OWL easier, including common patterns that will provide unexpected results.
Paul
This book really "gets it" in terms of relationship based modeling and constructing a model with inferencing in mind. Anyone who is modeling to leverage to true power of a graph model using W3C standards should read this.
Jim Morris
The first couple chapters are the best introduction to the Semantic Web and Linked Data that I've read. The rest is essential reading for anyone doing this professionally.
Robert-Reinder Nederhoed
Half way through. Very accessible. Learned about non-XML RDF. Will update this review when finished.
Neil
Great book for learning the basics and formats for Web services. I learned a lot from this book.
David
Excellent introductory overview.
Brian
Brian is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2015
Dewi Wardani
Dewi Wardani marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Alessandro
Alessandro is currently reading it
Feb 19, 2015
Jesse Baer
Jesse Baer marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Paul Gilbert
Paul Gilbert marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Luka Giga
Luka Giga is currently reading it
Feb 05, 2015
David Forero
David Forero is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2015
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
VBalthasar
VBalthasar is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2015
Dianne Reeves
Dianne Reeves marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Peter Ragone
Peter Ragone marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Sam Truzjan
Sam Truzjan marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
code{4}lib: Semantic Web reading 1 6 Apr 04, 2014 05:44AM
  • Programming the Semantic Web
  • Pull: The Power of the Semantic Web to Transform Your Business
  • Cybernetics: or the Control and Communication in the Animal and the Machine
  • Burnham's Celestial Handbook: An Observer's Guide to the Universe Beyond the Solar System, Volume 1: Andromeda Through Cetus
  • Universe: 50 Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • Data Points: Visualization That Means Something
  • Information Theory, Inference and Learning Algorithms
  • Feynman Lectures On Computation

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »