Start by marking “Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self” as Want to Read:
Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self

Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  633 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Suggests healing techniques based on reintegrating divided portions of the spirit.
Published May 9th 1994 by HarperSanFrancisco (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Soul Retrieval, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul Retrieval

Erin Thomas
Feb 05, 2012 Erin Thomas rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was 21 years old. It helped me with the process of recovering from an extremely traumatic childhood. My natural way of looking at the world is animistic, and this book focuses on animistic means of finding and recovering fragmented bits of self that have been splintered off by various traumas throughout life. I'm 40 years old now, and I have begun to realize that my adult life is also fraught with traumas that I might want to sit down and make sense of using these same an ...more
Bridgett
This included a basic introduction to shamanism and a lot of first-hand accounts of soul retrieval practices. The belief is that people lose pieces of their souls through traumas and similar experiences and need to reclaim these soul parts.
John Montgomery
Mar 03, 2012 John Montgomery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carlos Castaneda's The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge introduced me to shamanism and non-dual philosophic systems 35 years ago. I've also been interested in the phenomenon of out of body experiences triggered by trauma or near death experiences, which seem to suggest that consciousness can leave the body. One of my former clients, whom I first knew as the CEO of a technology company in Silicon Valley, recently became a shaman and recommended this book.

The basic premise of this
Emily Crow
Jun 15, 2014 Emily Crow rated it liked it
I had a mixed reaction to this book. It's an interesting topic, and I agree with the author that contemporary society encourages fragmentation of the self, which needs to be reintegrated for true health/vitality. The shamanic perspective of soul retrieval is an interesting approach to healing, and I found much of the content to be helpful or insightful.

Unfortunately, some of the approach seems annoyingly dated by the therapeutic climate of the late 1980s/early 1990s, with too much emphasis on t
Lauren
Dec 09, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirit
A very open look at the topic of soul loss that can occur after a traumatic event--the different types, the shamanic methods used to retrieve it, and the process of reintegration. Which all sounds very dull and pretty woo-woo on top of that, but many of us have experience the symptoms she describes--a loss of interest and vitality after a particularly bad breakup. Chronic illness after a car accident of job layoff. Deep depression that seems to come out of nowhere and that therapy doesn't seem t ...more
Cassandra Cantrell
Jul 18, 2014 Cassandra Cantrell rated it it was amazing
My first Sandra Ingerman book & I am not disappointed! Don't let the title fool you, this is not a new age "woo woo" book but a serious methodology that I'm looking to add in with my counseling work.
Agnes
Sep 13, 2015 Agnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I love about Sandra Ingerman is her integrity. She sincerely believes in the work, and therefore maintains an incredibly high standard of ethics. She knows how to relay complicated ideas into easy-to-understand concepts. She just has a way...

With that, I have to say that I LOVED reading this book. The stories and theories were incredibly engaging, and I found that throughout the time I spent reading Soul Retrieval, my own memories of Soul loss came through spontaneously; ones I would never
Izabela Dziugieł
Feb 01, 2016 Izabela Dziugieł rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to shamanic ritual of sould retrieval! Some very important points and explanations on the effects of lost soul. Very poignant exapmples that make this process understandable and touching.
JoAnne Johnson
Initially I was: What the What?!! But by the end I was: Right on, sister! ala 30 Rock
Bill Blocksom
Oct 15, 2014 Bill Blocksom rated it it was amazing
Fabulous! It is so much more than I thought it would be: a powerful tool and empowering outlooks for healing ourselves, others and our planet! Thank you, Sandra zinger man!
Victor De witt
Sep 20, 2015 Victor De witt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read. Very profound book.
Azra
May 13, 2014 Azra rated it really liked it
This isn't exactly a 'how-to' book. There are several exercises in the book, from how to set intention to releasing stolen bits of another's soul. While a good deal of the soul retrieval process is described, it is not given step by step. This process isn't for beginners.

Ingerman does a good job of explaining the causes of soul loss and its effects on a person. She also describes, supplimented with ancedotes from some of her clients, what tends to happen after a soul retrieval as well.
Heidi
Useful as an introduction if you're not familiar with the concept but this book is largely anecdotal accounts about those who have sought the author's help. If you are looking for practical information, this is not the book.
Michael Daley
Feb 04, 2013 Michael Daley rated it really liked it
Written in a matter of fact way, this book opens the door to the possibility that there is more to the world than we can normally experience. Sandra offers a way to understand the dragging afflictions of life in a completely new way that instantly resonates on some deep level. It may be easy to see her way as a metaphorical explaination of a psychological process, but I look forward to mulling over the truth of what she offers to those of us who feel 'something' is missing.
Elektra
Sep 23, 2009 Elektra rated it really liked it
A fascinating and highly laudable marriage of shamanism and psychology. Especially relevant in Western societies where 1 in 4 people are affected by mental disorders and there is growing realisation of the genealogical background of issues such as child abuse. The author is a professional psychologist who will restore a balanced vision to those who find themselves blinded by science. Another milestone in my understanding.
Sue
Shamanic work can be seen as mystical and the author shares her personal Medicine with the reader. Shaman deal with the spiritual aspect of illness or segregation of the self. It is a journey into an altered reality to re-claim parts of the self that have been lost or misplaced due to a variety of traumas. She holds your interest and recaptures experiences through the use of her personal experiences.
Samantha Davidson (The Writers Web)
This is a very thorough and therapuetic book. It really gets to the root of psychological issues and goes beyond what you would expect from traditional western mental health therapy programs, in my opinion. It explains the symptoms and causes of soul loss and the process of doing a soul retrieval. This is a great reference book to add to an in-home library that you can pick up and read anytime.
Brooke
Mar 20, 2013 Brooke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
Although, I am not completely convinced that non-ordinary reality exists this book is so much more. I found many spiritual truths and incites to the human condition in this book. This was a pleasurable read. At times, I had to put it down and really ponder what the author had written. I look forward to investigating non-ordinary reality more.
Lily
Jun 21, 2010 Lily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of many books I will read on my journey to becoming a Shaman. It is a very clear explanation of the type of healing and meditation work in which I am engaged, and it provides very profound insights into humanity and self-healing.
Ann
Jul 21, 2008 Ann rated it liked it
Initially read a couple of years ago for my Shamanic Practitioner class. Re-read again recently for my Hypnotherapy and my actual Soul retrieval class in my Shamanic study series. A great book! I love doing and hearing about Soul Retrievals!
Spider Goddess
Oct 19, 2012 Spider Goddess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, and very well written. I enjoyed this a great deal. Her techniques and experience with soul retrieval is well informed and the author uses a great many examples to give the reader a fuller understanding of the topic.
Stephanie
Sep 12, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating explanation of something I'd previously never heard of, and that makes perfect sense (at least to me). This book has reignited my interest in shamanism, which I've neglected in recent years.
Rayney
Feb 04, 2014 Rayney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read and followed book

Everyone should read this book and contact a Shaman. Sandra does a wonderful job of explaining soul loss and recovery.
Linda T.
Mar 02, 2008 Linda T. rated it it was amazing
This book was required reading during a two-year apprenticeship that I was a part of. Even if one isn't a Shaman, it's important reading and extremely insightful.
Sharon
Much simpler and more direct than Villoldo's book. She was in fact his mentor and now is his associate.
Annika
Mar 11, 2009 Annika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read. Like most of these books, take what you like out of it and leave the rest.
Colleen
Apr 22, 2013 Colleen rated it liked it
Great book for those interested in learning the SR technique or in receiving healing from SR.
Emily
Sep 19, 2007 Emily rated it really liked it
The book compelled me to explore a path of shamanic healing. The work changed my life dramatically.
Chai
Mar 31, 2013 Chai rated it really liked it
Totally good introduction. But of course, Sue Greer is the best shaman ever.
Cat
Aug 24, 2015 Cat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
A must read and re read for anyone wishing to be whole again.
  • Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself and Others with the Energy Medicine of the Americas
  • Shamanism As a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life
  • The Woman in the Shaman's Body: Reclaiming the Feminine in Religion and Medicine
  • Fire in the Head: Shamanism and the Celtic Spirit
  • The Way of the Shaman
  • Animal-Wise: The Spirit Language and Signs of Nature
  • Singing the Soul Back Home: Shamanic Wisdom for Every Day
  • The Shamanic Way of the Bee: Ancient Wisdom and Healing Practices of the Bee Masters
  • Urban Shaman
  • The World of Shamanism: New Views of an Ancient Tradition
  • The Four-Fold Way: Walking the Paths of the Warrior, Teacher, Healer, and Visionary
  • Dreaming the Soul Back Home: Shamanic Dreaming for Healing and Becoming Whole
  • The Celtic Shaman: A Handbook (Earth Quest)
  • The Medicine Way: A Shamanic Path to Self Mastery (The "Earth Quest" Series)
  • In the Shadow of the Shaman: Connecting with Self, Nature, and Spirit
  • Animal Spirit Guides: An Easy-to-Use Handbook for Identifying and Understanding Your Power Animals and Animal Spirit Helpers
  • Totem Magic: Dance of the Shapeshifter
  • Entering the Circle: Ancient Secrets of Siberian Wisdom Discovered by a Russian Psychiatrist
Sandra Ingerman, MA, is the author of 8 books, 7 CD programs and the creator of Transmutation App. She is a world renowned teacher of shamanism and has been teaching for over 30 years.

She teaches workshops internationally on shamanic journeying, healing, and reversing environmental pollution using spiritual methods. She has trained and founded an international alliance of Medicine for the Earth
More about Sandra Ingerman...

“The earth will support anything that supports life. What I have found after a soul retrieval is that one cannot "numb out" anymore. Each and every one of us must make personal and planetary decisions to stop abusing life. Whether a person a has to give up an abusive relationship, take a more active political role, or increase awareness of how we continue to abuse our environment, we all now have to be responsible. Being responsible means responding to what is needed. We find a need to wake up and change our reality to a stance of power...” 5 likes