Comeback Love

Comeback Love

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  404 ratings  ·  105 reviews
What would you do if you had a second chance with the one that got away?

More than thirty-five years ago, Gordon Meyers, an aspiring writer with a low number in the draft lottery, packed his belongings and reluctantly drove away, leaving behind Glenna Rising, the sexy, sharp-witted med student he couldn’t imagine living without.

Now, decades later, Gordon is a former globe...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Washington Square Press

To ask other readers questions about Comeback Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Comeback Love

Comeback Love by Peter GoldenThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Atlas of Love by Laurie FrankelBlind Stitches by J.B. ChicoineThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Best Whimsical Novels
1st out of 18 books — 16 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenEasy by Tammara WebberThe Sea of Tranquility by Katja MillayThe Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window by Kirsty MoseleyAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
TO DIE FOR 2012 - 2013 STAND-ALONES
85th out of 493 books — 3,720 voters

More lists with this book...

Donna Brown
When I was reading some of the press material about this debut literary fiction novel from Atria Books (an imprint of Simon & Schuster), I noticed this quotation from Susan Novotny of Staff Picks Press:

“If you are a boomer who fell in love in the late ‘60s and early ‘70s, this book is for you.”

Well, I’m not and I didn’t – I wasn’t born until several years later – but I still feel that this book is for me. It opens with the protagonist, Gordon Meyers, looking up his former lover, Glenna. From...more
Anagha
Apr 10, 2012 Anagha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!
Shelves: posted
Originally posted on my blog: http://book-spark.blogspot.com/

“G: Never fear. 10 yrs from now, when you're looking at this picture, I'm going to be looking at it with you.
I love you,
G.”

4.5 stars!
Wow. Wow wow wow wow wow. I never imagined a romance could ever be so good...so perfect. That is the one word I can use to describe Comeback Love.
The premise of this novel is truly unique: Gordon Meyers is a fifty-something man who lost the love of his life about thirty years go. He has never truly been a...more
ALPHAreader
It’s present day and Gordon Meyers visits the graves of his dead father, aunt and uncle. With snow falling, he speaks to their ghosts and silently cries for an uncontrollable future that rests on the precipice . . . and then he gets in his car and drives to Manhattan, a city as full of ghosts as his hometown cemetery.

While in the big city, Gordon cannot help but return to old haunts and visit a woman from his past. A woman, who has never been far from his mind; not even when he married, had a s...more
Joann
I really loved this book and the way the narrative was constructed. So many stories that move between past and present have difficulty keeping the reader from feeling this sense of bouncing back and forth. This story unfolds in such a way that the reader is left with a smooth evolving tail of the characters, gaining more and more insight about Gordon, Glenna and their sphere of family and friends as the critical moments of their story come to light.

So many of the stories of romance that are out...more
Ariele
A beautiful story about a first love -- always engaging, page turning, and tense. Fantastic dialogue and some true laughs. This will appeal to both women and men and even those who have opinions on wars in our society. Recommended RECOMMENDED RECOMMENDED!
Autumn Review
Summary:
Thirty-five years ago, aspiring writer Gordon Meyers and med student Glenna Rising fell in love. However, the events that were happening in the country and around the world significantly affected their relationship. Gordon is drafted to Vietnam, while Glenna is an activist for a highly controversial cause. These circumstances impact their relationship and they decide to break-up.

Now, Gordon is a father, divorced, and a government consultant. He's also never gotten over Glenna. While on...more
Maryellen
To be young and in love. And then to lose it all.

It was the late 1960's and Gordon Meyers, perpetual college student and aspiring writer, was so far lucky enough to have been spared being drafted to the military. On an assignment to write about abortion reform for a local newspaper, Gordon meets medical student, Glenna Rising. She is smart and beautiful and she is everything that Gordon has ever wanted. They fall in love.

And then on New Year's Eve in 1969, Gordon drives away from the home that h...more
Lydia Presley
I am conflicted about this book. I really, really wanted to love it because I love stories that involve second chances and taking risks. But as much as I love those, I was discouraged because I felt as if Comeback Love flirted with the potential for a really good story and just fell a little bit short.

That's not to say it wasn't good story, because it was. It was just hugely ambitious and all of the back and forth, historic events, life-changing events and roller-coaster emotions made me feel as...more
Betty
one line summary: A debut novel about a man and his romantic quest to find the woman he loved and lost years before.

Comeback Love is a sweet story, without being syrupy sweet. The time frame alternates between 1968-69 and today, with a few years in between.

I especially enjoyed reading about the 1968 year ... this is the year the United States politcal and social made a huge shift. That is the same year when the characters Glenna and Gordon meet each other, fall in love and move in together. They...more
Jasmine Ko
This is hands down the best book I've read all year so far. I fell hard for this book from the moment it grabbed me in the first couple of pages. I've waited all year for a book to do that to me and it was such a pleasant journey. I couldn't put it down and finished it during a couple late nights of not sleeping to keep reading.

What I enjoyed most about this story was that you really understand why Gordon goes searching for Glenna after twenty years and Peter Golden was masterful in writing the...more
Laurie Carlson
Finally, I stumble upon a love story that is riveting with such delight, force, full of romance and so truly becoming that I fell completely and deeply mad in love with this book. I literally fell head over heels in love with these characters/couple, as they did with each other. This 'debut fiction novel' by Peter Golden surpasses a 5-star rating in this reader's opinion! This is a love story that is absolutely radiant, one you will not soon forget, as it will leave an imprint on your own heart....more
Kathleen Kelly
Comeback Love is a debut novel by Peter Golden and is a story of the love affair between Gordon Meyers, a journalist / college student and wannabe novelist and Glenna Rising, med student in the late 60's and present day where Gordon is a consultant and Glenna is a physician.

In the late 60's, in the time of the Vietnam war, peace, love and drugs, Gordon meets Glenna and is immediately taken with her beauty and intelligence. They move in together and because of certain circumstances break up and...more
Jael
After decades apart, can two people find love again? Will everything work out? Is the pain of the breakup still there? Have the both of you grown from the experience? What would you do with a second chance? Peter Golden tackles all that in his novel Comeback Love.

The book alternates between the present and the past. In the present, Gordon Meyers is a successful consultant. He has a son he adores and an ex-wife. But now his life is in turmoil and it leads him back to his first love Dr. Glenna Ris...more
Melanie
To say I liked this story is an understatement. This novel is for all of us that at one time or another questioned ourselves about our first love, and how come we let it slip through our fingers.

There’s so much to recommend this story that I honestly don’t know where to begin!

This is well written, character driven and very moving story that will grab you from the first page. It will then take you on a journey of love lost and love found, while in the background past and current events will eeril...more
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Drugs, abortion clinics, Vietnam war and Afghanistan war are the many pressure points that this book highlights within one couple's journey together and apart. Jumping between the past and the present, the reader is taken back into the Vietnam/Woodstock time to find a couple trying to find their way both in their own individuality and within the couple.

Gordon was young man who wasn't quite sure what path he wanted to take, but he did know he wanted Glenna by his side the entire way. Glenna was...more
Susan
Jul 22, 2012 Susan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Another book picked because I liked the cover! I was drawn in by the photo of a couple walking in the middle of the street on a gray overcast day,it looks like the aftermath of a snowstorm. The girl in a red wool pea coat and pale pink woolly hat, the guy in a black peacoat and red beanie, both in dark pants,arms around each other, walking; buildings towering over them in the city.
The story is about Gordon Meyers and Glenna Rising. A couple who meet in the 60's, having what is a rollercoaster l...more
Diana
Comeback Love is a nicely written story about timeless love. Told through the voice of Gordon Meyers, this book alternates between past and present. Peter Golden’s choice to swing back and forth between present day and the past allows the reader to gain a better understanding of the inner workings of Gordon and Glenna; their feelings, their thoughts, as well as their inner struggles.

The story spans from the 60’s through present day. As the story progresses you can correlate how the various glob...more
L_manning
Gordon was immediately drawn to Glenna when they met. Drawn in by her passion, Gordon had a tumultuous and emotional relationship with Glenna. Things gradually begin to go wrong though, and soon something that seemed very right is very wrong. Thirty-plus years after a horrible end, Gordon is once again seeking Glenna. As the grasp to figure out what went wrong in the past, they also work together to figure out their futures. Can you relive the past?

I found this story very interesting. The book b...more
Julie Barrett
Comeback Love by Peter Golden
This book is about Gordon Meyers who is a writer and going to college, to keep out of the war.
Glenna Rising is studying to be a doctor and they get wrapped up in the rallies/marches/protests that deal with abortions. She is able to perform abortions where you suction out the cells. She doesn't feel it's a fetus till after 12 weeks.
They start dating and go to the rallies and protest marches in the city.
This love story goes in a different direction and they each move...more
Wendy Hines
Peter Golden's debut novel is sharp, clever and compelling with two characters that will burrow into your heart. When they fell in love in the 60's, life was different than it is now. Their differing opinions and beliefs drove them apart, even though they still cared for one another. Now, thirty-five years later, Gordon wants to re-connect with Glenna. Even though they've both had great careers and have both been married, they decide to try again. But what if you can't go back?

With women's right...more
The Joy of Booking
Who doesn’t love a good story about second chances at relationships with The One That Got Away? With a well-fleshed-out narrator and a great perspective on New York in the 1960s, Comeback Love swept me up right away.

I wish I had believed in the importance of Glenna and Gordon’s romance more, but he was such a jealous jerk in their youthful stage that it was hard for me to think that she’d really want him back later in life. On the other hand, it was his jealousy and ultimately the trajectory of...more
Bookfanatic
I picked up the book at a Goodwill thrift shop because of the cover. The couple walking in the snow amidst the snow and towering buildings caught my eye. This is a story about second chances at love. I read this in a few days. The story goes seamlessly from the present to the 1960s and 1970s. I didn't come of age in that era, but I know enough of it to see how the author anchored the story so well in that era. There are a lot of references to the casual drug use, easy sex, women's rights and abo...more
Liz Gerron
Loved it! Couldn't put it down. Gordon and Glenna are characters I cared about ... I wanted to know their story. These two characters were so well developed -- particularly Gordon. First love through a man's point of view was very well done and revealing. At times you could feel Gordon burning over on Mars completely flummoxed by his Venus. The other characters -- Robin and "Biff" as well as the families were great foils for the main characters but interesting on their own.
M
Come back Love = Go Back to the Library.
At first I thought - hmm this is really simple sounding. Maybe this is a new, clever way to write. Then I thought, actually, no, this is appallingly bad. Let me check the GR rating - maybe I picked this one up by accident. 3.7???? I must keep on. Then I realized it was only getting worse, remembered that these ratings are sometimes self selecting, and I have only one life to live.
Kara
This was a good book, well put together and thoughtful, and part of me wants to give it four stars. It's a long-lost love story that takes place in the present day and during the late 1960's, and is framed by the pro-choice movement taking place at the time. The historical aspect and setting is unique and well done, and the engaging tone of the narrator brings to mind "Stand by Me." The plot was carefully thought out, and engaged me enough that I finished it in a (lazy) day.

Still.

The main female...more
Brian
Peter is coming to visit our store next week and I best have this one under my belt in advance. Reads like "Love Story" redux. Middle class boy meets rich girl fall wildly in lust boy loses girl in stupid fight 30+ years go by man finds woman sparks fly secrets revealed will they won't they?
Jane
The back of this book questions, "What would you do if you had a second chance with the one that got away?" And that's why I bought this book. Gordon Meyers and Glenna Rising were lovers in the 1960s and 70s, but he left to pursue his own interests. Now 35 years later, he is in Glenna's home city on business, and seeks her out. She is now a medical doctor. They go out for a drink, and as they converse, discover that they never forgot each other.

The book alternates between the telling of the sto...more
Betty
Written by a local Albany Author, Peter Golden. A nice read. He will be joining us for our book club discussion soon, which I really like.
Jaime (Twisting the Lens)
This review will be posted August 5th, as part of the book tour hosted by JKS.
Cait
Aug 31, 2012 Cait marked it as never-finished
not the narrative that I was expecting & I couldn't shake my disappointment.
  • Words Get In the Way
  • Shelter
  • The Possibility of You
  • Holding on to Hope
  • It Should Have Been Me
Peter Golden is an award-winning journalist and the author of six full-length works of non-fiction and fiction.

Some of his work has appeared in the Detroit Free Press Magazine, Albany Times Union, New Jersey Monthly, Microsoft’s eDirections, Beyond Computing, Electronic Business, Midstream, The Forward and Capital Region Magazine.

Golden’s Quiet Diplomat, a biography of industrialist and political-...more
More about Peter Golden...
Comeback Love: A Novel O Powerful Western Star: American Jews, Russian Jews, and the Final Battle of the Cold War Dad's Diary The World of the Khazars: New Perspectives. Selected Papers from the Jerusalem 1999 International Khazar Colloquium Quiet Diplomat: A Biography Of Max M. Fisher

I love you,