Start by marking “Ghost Plane: The True Story of the CIA Torture Program” as Want to Read:
Ghost Plane: The True Story of the CIA Torture Program

Ghost Plane: The True Story of the CIA Torture Program

For the first time, Stephen Grey tells the inside story of international prisons sanctioned by the U.S. Government and used by the CIA to hold and torture people suspected of terrorism.
Using contacts deep inside the U.S. Government, Grey reveals how deeply the Bush administration is involved in the program and questions the truth of statements made by Secretary of Stat
Published October 17th 2006 by St. Martin's Press (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Plane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Plane

Terri
I have to admit, when I see a military or war non fiction book is written by a journalist my trust in the account being unbiased and devoid of sensationalism slips.
Pair that with the promotional line on the back of this book that states "Hundreds more have been flown away on the Ghost plane to be tortured with the full knowledge of the US Government and in the name of the American people. Who will be next?"
My red flags automatically start going up. That there, is journalistic sensationalism at
Jerome
Mar 06, 2013 Jerome rated it really liked it
Very interesting. I enjoy reading about the CIA's covert operations and anything about the CIA's paramilitary Special Activities Division-Special Operations Group. The level of detail he collected about this program of capturing terrorists and flying them to overseas interrogation sites was astounding. I figured there were black sites in Egypt, since they are allies (or they were at the time of publication), but I had no idea we had them in Syria. Grey also provides a brief, interesting history ...more
Chris Morrow
Sep 26, 2011 Chris Morrow rated it it was amazing
Some of the story here has been told in other places, or hinted at over time. I'd not seen as detailed an account (with sources listed) for any of this before. It's frightening how poorly the gov't is covering it's tracks here. It's also frightening that this thinly veiled process is being used at all!

I'm shocked, as an american citizen at the activities. I'm also distressed that the public policy stand on what's happening is 180 degrees off from the reality on the ground. Folks are being spirit
Books Ring Mah Bell
Feb 12, 2010 Books Ring Mah Bell rated it it was ok
Kinda slow and boring. Seriously, how can one write about torture and have it be boring?!!? It was. (unless you are the person being tortured. Then, I'm guessing it's not boring at all.)
Paul
Sep 12, 2011 Paul rated it it was amazing
Stephen Grey pores over documents and flight logs of the CIA rendition teams planes to give a very compelling story. A must read for CIA - spy buffs. Which group is the real terrorists?
Rayne
Aug 21, 2008 Rayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly thorough research, a real resource, and compelling writing.
Cwn_annwn_13
Jan 18, 2011 Cwn_annwn_13 rated it liked it
Most of this is a chapter by chapter case by case analysis of various individuals alleged to have ties to terrorist groups who were snatched up by the CIA, taken to countries where there are no laws against torturing people and basicly tortured by outsourcing. As if this wasn't bad enough the ties any of these people had to terrorism were very dubious at best. I have to commend Greys investigative journalism in putting this book together. The book itself wasn't overly exciting or interesting to ...more
Douglas White
Jan 20, 2012 Douglas White rated it liked it
This book is a really detailed look at the CIA rendition program started under Clinton and massively expanded under Bush.

It's not the most exciting book, but it well written and well sourced.

I think it also does a good job of explaining how and why the rendition program changed after 9/11.

The real shame is we still are not addressing many of the issues that lead to rendition in the first place. It seems that we have stopped rendition, but that is because we are using drones to kill rather than
Paul
Dec 10, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it
What I found most interesting was how the author and his colleagues from around the world put together the pieces to expose the CIA's rendition program. This book is detailed not only in the telling of the story but also in how the program evolved. For the haters of George W. Bush, they're not going to like knowing that this program was going on long before he took office. That said, he and those in his administration did expand upon it on an exponential level.

Ghose Plan is worth the time and en
Frances Bell
Jan 10, 2011 Frances Bell rated it it was ok
I read it because I'm always happy to catch the US out. But - it was written by a journalist so the shock that should have been there during the course of reading it just wasn't there. Subject matter that deserved better treatment. Ho hum.
William
Nov 14, 2015 William rated it liked it
The author doesn't like extraordinary rendition. I finished this book as I purchased it. It was well documented in terms of flight records but I disagree with many of his political beliefs that are very obvious.
George Rabanal
Pretty eye opening book into rendition flights. It was a little rough in some parts, but I never felt like it was an anti-government feel. It's pretty neutral.
Robert
Oct 17, 2009 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: intelligence
Well documented/researched book on the CIA's rendition program. This guy is who helped uncover the whole thing.
Colleen Clark
Feb 15, 2010 Colleen Clark rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to know what the US government is up to.
Shelves: politics-terror
Along with "Torture Taxi" a book to read on our government's involvement in capturing suspects abroad and rendering them to 3rd countries for "interrogation" ie torture.
DEBI LANG
DEBI LANG rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
John
John rated it it was ok
Oct 23, 2013
Velvetink
Velvetink rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2010
Kathi
Kathi rated it did not like it
Feb 23, 2015
Frank
Frank rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2013
markia willis
markia willis rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Christi Yoder
Christi Yoder rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
W. Benjamin
W. Benjamin rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2014
Alexa
Alexa rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2010
Owen
Owen rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2010
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2013
Matt Suder
Matt Suder rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2009
Joel Lantz
Joel Lantz rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2014
Joe N
Joe N rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2012
Robert Ludlow
Robert Ludlow rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2009
Katherine Lee
Katherine Lee rated it did not like it
Jul 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • In Search of Enemies: A CIA Story
  • A Question of Torture: CIA Interrogation from the Cold War to the War on Terror
  • The Hunt for KSM: Inside the Pursuit and Takedown of the Real 9/11 Mastermind, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed
  • The Terror Conspiracy: Deception, 9/11 & the Loss of Liberty
  • Muqtada: Muqtada al-Sadr, the Shia Revival, and the Struggle for Iraq
  • The Third Terrorist: The Middle East Connection to the Oklahoma City Bombing
  • Death of a Dissident: The Poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko and the Return of the KGB
  • Intel Wars: The Secret History of the Fight Against Terror
  • The Interrogator: An Education
  • Who Killed Daniel Pearl?
  • The Last Refuge: Yemen, al-Qaeda, and America's War in Arabia
  • Kill or Capture: How a Special Operations Task Force Took Down a Notorious al Qaeda Terrorist
  • Hunting in the Shadows: The Pursuit of al Qa'ida since 9/11
  • JFK: The CIA, Vietnam and the Plot to Assassinate John F. Kennedy
  • The Boys on the Tracks: Death, Denial, and a Mother's Crusade to Bring Her Son's Killers to Justice
  • Kill or Capture: The War on Terror and the Soul of the Obama Presidency
  • The War I Always Wanted: The Illusion of Glory and the Reality of War: A Screaming Eagle in Afghanistan and Iraq
  • The Terror Presidency: Law and Judgment Inside the Bush Administration
Stephen Grey is a British writer, broadcaster with over two decades of experience of reporting on intelligence and security issues. He is best know for his exclusive reporting on the CIA’s program of ‘extraordinary rendition’, as well as reports from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. A former foreign correspondent and investigations editor with the Sunday Times of London, he has reported for the ...more
More about Stephen Grey...