The Essence (The Pledge, #2)

The Essence (The Pledge #2)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  3,899 ratings  ·  426 reviews
“Danger, dread, mystery, and romance” (Booklist) continue in the second book of The Pledge trilogy, as Charlie’s reign is under siege from the most unusual of enemies.

At the luminous conclusion of The Pledge, Charlaina defeated the tyrant Sabara and took her place as Queen of Ludania. But Charlie knows that Sabara has not disappeared: The evil queen’s Essence is fused to C...more
Published January 1st 2013 by Margaret K. McElderry

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
32nd out of 1,465 books — 10,153 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
67th out of 2,476 books — 12,485 voters

More lists with this book...

Hannah
They get on the train. They get off the train. They get on a horse. They get off the horse. They get on the boat. They get off the boat. They arrive at the castle. They leave the castle. They get back on the boat. They get back on the horse. They get back on the train.

Somebody tries to kill her repeatedly, but they're not very good.

Nothing else happens.

Seriously. I really wanted to enjoy this one, since I liked The Pledge, but I just couldn't do it. The romance was lacking, there was too much...more
Hannah-Linn
I don't know....just didn't like it?
Laura Newcombe
Mar 03, 2012 Laura Newcombe marked it as to-read
Update: 4/03/12
COVER. YUMMY COVER.

Kimberly Derting is the new James Patterson of young adult. What has she written, like, 50 books this year? It sure feels like it! Now she's going to be punching out another series alongside The Body Finder. Crap. Why can't this woman just write standalones? Darn overachievers...
Bern
Jun 21, 2012 Bern marked it as to-read
Shelves: yet-to-buy
If this sucks like the first one, kittens are going to die in Darfur.

DO YOU HEAR ME, KIMBERLY DERTING?

KITTENS WILL DIE IN DARFUR.

SO THINK OF THE KITTENS.
Book Flame
Mar 20, 2012 Book Flame marked it as to-read
The cover is so gorgeous...I can't wait to read The Essence but 2013? such a long wait. I hope they change the date.
Heidi
Three Stars: A good middle book, but not much plot advancement.
Charlie is struggling to come to terms with her new duties as Queen of Ludania. She tires of everyone, even her best friends, referring to her as "Your Majesty". She longs sometimes for the return to the simplicity of her old life. Yet, she has risen to the occasion and taken a firm hold on the throne. With her rein, she intends to bring peace, prosperity and equality to her kingdom. No longer are the citizens divided by class and la...more
Najla

If you need some kind of proof that having an inexperienced eighteen-year old girl as a QUEEN with yet another eighteen-year old girl as The Commander of The Armed Forces is such a bad BAD idea then read The Essence, it's proof enough.
Kari
Jan 22, 2012 Kari marked it as to-read
I can't believe I have to wait a year for this book!!! If Charlie and Max aren't together when it's all over I'll be very disappointed.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Apr 14, 2013 Christina (A Reader of Fictions) rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Christina (A Reader of Fictions) by: Blythe
Shelves: sadie-hawkins
As anyone who has read my review of The Pledge knows, I was not a big fan. I had absolutely no intention of reading the sequel, but such are the joys of the Sadie Hawkins feature. Blythe wanted me to read this, so here we are. On the plus side, I didn't dislike The Essence the way I did The Pledge, largely due to the decrease in romance, but I still don't think this series is particularly impressive.

One part of The Essence is super cool, and that is Charlie's relationship to the queen she displa...more
Tracey G
an advance copy of this book was provided by Simon and Schuster through Goodreads

THIS REVIEW WILL ONLY MAKE SENSE IF YOU'VE READ The Pledge

i vaguely remember reading the first book The Pledge. i looked back on what i said about it and my memory was jogged about how i didn't love it or hate it. i liked it enough to read the second one. i wish i didn't. i found myself screaming at this book all day. it's a shame that i had to bring in the new year reading this, it was exhausting.

the first book end...more
Blythe
Warning: This review contains spoilers for The Pledge

And the streak of sequels that outshine their predecessors continues!

This time the streak is continued with, obviously, The Essence, sequel to The Pledge which, while I enjoyed overall, left me with mixed feelings. However, despite The Pledge leaving me with mixed feelings, I went into The Essence with high expectations after the conclusion of The Pledge, and I am thrilled to say that most if not all of those high expectations were met by the...more
Nicole
Mar 10, 2012 Nicole marked it as to-read
I'm not sure whether I actually want to READ this or not, since I thought The Pledge would've been amazing as a standalone novel. Oh well, I dunno. I'll probably give it a shot anyway.
She Known As Jess BlogSpot
2013? wwwhhhhhhhattttt!!!! I hope they move it to 2012. WANT!
Imo :D (Omnom Books)
A second one? I thought the first ended pretty well
Vaishnavee Suresh
Picking up a few months after The Pledge, we find that Charlie - I mean, Queen Charlaina - has settled in quite nicely into her new life, her transition from Charlie, the Vendor's daughter to Queen Charlaina going smoothly except for a few tiny bumps. But, is the road to a happy kingdom smooth? Or does a certain Queen and her past catch up with Charlie?

Starting, for a change, with the negatives.....Charlie had yet to become Queen Charlaina de Heyse. I've seen zero character development throughou...more
Marie
Before I read this I re-read The Pledge and honestly? I didn't like it as much as I remembered. The books are quite short, but the cliffhanger in the first book was good enough to get me to buy this one and to carry on with the series.
I did like this one. I mean there was a little more going on and kept you interested but I didn't get the rush of excitement or that connection with the book. I don't overly love the characters. I have had a complete turn around with this book as I remembered lovi...more
Bridie-No excuses. No apologies. No Regrets Jones
Well well, what can i say, a second book.....ah i hope this book is better than the first, its not like the first was particularly bad it just wasn't particularly GOOD either, and it defiantly wasn't amazing, unlike the cover which i WUV!

Ok things i would like (OR THAT I WOULD NOT LIKE) to see in this book are:

-Charlie has to GROW A PAIR and start making me believe in her as a person and a queen.

-DO NOT KILL ANGELINA, no this is not the hunger games, no sweet little sisters have to die please.

-M...more
Jacqueline's Reads
2 Stars

One word to describe The Essence would be BORING or maybe ANNOYING. Book 2 picks up where book 1, The Pledge left off. Note, if you haven’t read book 1, I would suggest NOT reading this review. I remember liking The Pledge until the ending. When I found out Sabara was stuck in Carlaina (Charlie) in The Pledge I was 100% grossed out, regardless I still liked the characters and decided to continue with book 2, The Essence.

I don’t even know if there is a summary to The Essence, I would just...more
The Good

Sabara. I love the internal struggle Charlie has with Sabara. Sabara's past is wildly interesting, but I wish there was more focus on her. I am hoping the final book will give more insight into the evil queen's past.
The terrorists. Equality seems all well and good to most people, but every time huge changes happen in a government you are going to have at least a small group of people who don't want change and like things the way they are. The presence of terrorists in the book fighting...more
Riya
MMM.. YUMMY COVER. ME LIKEY. Absolutely loved The Pledge #1--- the wait for this is going to be pure torture! ARGH.
Hayden Casey
Nov 13, 2012 Hayden Casey marked it as own-it-to-read
That cover is just amazing. I need to own that and hopefully I'll get an ARC that matches my PLEDGE ARC :)
Hylary Locsin
Originally posted on my blog: http://libraryladyhylary.blogspot.com ! Check it out for more reviews!

Now that she is settling into her newfound role as the queen of Ludania, Charlie is struggling to cope with unrest in her troubled kingdom. The caste system that used to strictly divide the country by language has been abolished, and Charlie, Max and Brooklynn are trying to ensure that the transition to equality goes smoothly. Unfortunately, not everyone in Ludania is thrilled about what Charlie h...more
Shreya (CCReviews)
*A copy was provided for review purposes*

The Essence by Kimberly Derting was just as amazing as her first novel in the series, if not a bit better. We follow along the main character Charlie as she encounters even greater journeys in her life. Charlie is now the highly-regarded queen of Ludania, as she has defeated the evil queen before her, Sabara. Charlie knows that even though she has defeated the evil queen, Sabara still resides in her as she has a strong connection with Charlie through the...more
ajia
The sequel was okay. It didnt pull me in right away and i was a bit confused about what was going on for the first part as i had forgotten the events of the last book, so it took me a while to get into it.

Charlie is now queen but has the spirit of the old queen imprisoned in her body. The is quite a hard situation for her and i felt sorry for her. She seemed more or less the same to me in this book as the last one with no particular character development.

Max unfortunately who i did really like...more
River
I wish that I'd re-read The Pledge before going into this, but I was hoping that things would come back to me. Some things did, but I'm sure I forgot others. I really hope that any negative feelings that I had towards this aren't because I just forgot stuff from the previous book.

Three things that happened in this book that knocked it down to a 3-star rating:

Niko. Max. Brooklyn.

Niko... really bothered me. Everything about him and his character and his interactions with Charlie were just... reall...more
Frishawn Rasheed
While it is true that Sabara and now Queen Charlaina are linked. That doesn't seem to pose the eminent danger that one might think. It seems that more than a few people are not too happy about all the changes that are being made since the young queen has come to power...and people are dying.

Couple this with the fact that Charlaina is trying to balance the girl that she was with the royal that she is becoming. There is a maturity in this book that was not there in the first read. Not so much so t...more
JeanBookNerd
The second book to Kimberly Derting’s Pledge series, The Essence, continues the compelling story of Charlaina after defeating Sabara and taking her place as the Queen of Ludania. Adjusting her new life as queen and having the class system eradicated, she realizes that there is still conflict in her kingdom and even threats to her life. Invited to a summit with Queens from surrounding countries, she learns of the dangers that lie outside her kingdom walls. She’s struggling to keep a kingdom toget...more
Angeline
Rating: 3.5

After giving readers the pleasure of devouring The Pledge, Derting continues Charlie's story in this epic sequel. I never received the book from the publisher (glad I wasn't the only one), so after New Year's Day, I went out and actually bought the book, which was no biggie for me. I was really impatient for this book (and a lot of others) to come out to be my first book review read of this year.

The book starts of kind of slow. Lots of confusion and lots of plotting. TBH you really n...more
I really enjoyed the first book in Kimberly Derting's dystopian fantasy series and I've been looking forward to reading The Essence for a year now. I have to admit that it's been so long since I've read The Pledge that I was a little hazy on the finer details of what happened in the story, I knew I'd enjoyed it and I remembered the main plot but I had trouble remembering who all of the minor characters were and was a little worried that was going to reduce my enjoyment of the next book. That is...more
Tamaella
This was quite a good book that I give a solid three stars. Prior to reading this book in the Pledge series I had not read the first book yet. I decided to go ahead and read this book without too much knowledge of the first. Surprisingly, this book, The Essence, basically stands on its own as I don't think you will be confused at all about things that happened in the previous book. The characters placement in this magical new world is effortless due to the colorful descriptions that bring each c...more
Audiobook? 4 12 Jan 08, 2014 09:22AM
SO CLOSE!!!!!! 3 36 Dec 31, 2012 11:34PM
  • Asunder (Newsoul, #2)
  • Breaking Point (Article 5, #2)
  • Abandon (Possession, #3)
  • Naturals (The Lost Souls, #2)
  • The Uprising (The Forsaken, #2)
  • The Stone Demon (The Iron Witch, #3)
  • Shadowlark (Skylark, #2)
  • Phoenix (Black City, #2)
  • Afterglow (Wildefire, #3)
  • Infinityglass (Hourglass, #3)
  • Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)
  • Override (Glitch, #2)
  • Shadows in the Silence (Angelfire, #3)
  • Elegy (Hereafter #3)
  • Vortex (Tempest, #2)
  • Thornhill (Hemlock, #2)
  • Shadow of the Mark (Carrier, #2)
  • Unbreakable (Unraveling, #2)
Kimberly is the author of the BODY FINDER series (HarperCollins), THE PLEDGE trilogy (Simon & Schuster), and THE TAKING trilogy (HarperTeen). She lives in the Pacific Northwest, the ideal place to write anything dark or creepy...a gloomy day can set the perfect mood. She lives with her husband and their three beautiful (and often mouthy) children who provide an endless source of inspiration.
More about Kimberly Derting...
The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1) The Pledge (The Pledge, #1) Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2) The Last Echo (The Body Finder, #3) Dead Silence (The Body Finder, #4)

“ In the privacy of my dreams, I'm a warrior.” 29 likes
“Charlie?" he said, pulling mme back to face him. "I do love you." My breath caught on his words . . . words I'd waited so long to hear.” 24 likes