Start by marking “The Black Stallion Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Black Stallion Mystery

The Black Stallion Mystery (The Black Stallion #13)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,704 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Someone's set a treacherous trap for Alec and his horse... ...more
Published September 28th 2011 by Yearling (first published January 1st 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Stallion Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Stallion Mystery

Dark-Draco
The next book in the series starts of with Henry and Alec convinced that the stallion who sired the black is somehow still alive and siring a new generation of racehorses. Tracing the yearlings back to Spain, they load up the Black and off they go, finding themselves on the Spanish ranch of a crazy bullfighter. From there, it is back to Arabia and to old acquaintances, who want Alec's help in running down the ghostly stallion haunting the mountains. Alex must decide if helping his friends and so ...more
Gale
CHASING THE BLAKC:S ELUSIVE SIRE

Devoted fans of Alec Ramsay and his famous Black horse will be delighted by the mystery lurking--with increasing literary tension and menace--in this 13th in the YA series. Apparently parentless (or emancipated) by this novel, Alec is free to choose his own path-- usually in concert with his trainer/mentor, Henry. When they read about a pair of unusual Arabian yearlings in New York state they insist on viewing them in person. One look at the horses convinces them
Melody
A little too much goes on here for it to be a straightforwardly good Black Stallion book. Farley was not afraid of over-reaching, which is certainly fun but does cause some eye-rollingly bad scenes. Secret passages? We got 'em! Kidnapping? Yup. Unknown location? Sure. Ghostly horses in the middle of the night? Check.

There's some misogynistic stuff in here that seems reflexive rather than thought-out. Not one of my favorites, for sure.
Wendycarlson3
When I was younger I loved horses and sought out every horse story I could find. The Black Stallion series was my favorite books throughout my whole teenage years, I read them all at least twice. This book is one of my favorite because it combined The Black with a good mystery. Alec goes to Spain to track down Black's sire, whom they thought was dead, but new stock being brought to America proved otherwise. I never could put this book down, reading it cover to cover every time.
Mirrani
The important thing to remember about the Black Stallion series is that it has always combined adventure with horses. It doesn't matter how that combination comes about, you know that when you pick up one of the books written by Walter Farley, you'll get both of those subjects with one read. Is anyone going to find mysterious horses after being kidnapped and while wandering down a secret tunnel in a sheikh's mountain castle? Of course not. We all know it's not reality, it's adventure. If the hum ...more
Bonnie
The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt
The Island Stallion Races
The Black Stallion's Courage
The Black Stallion Mystery
The Horse-Tamer (all by Walter Farley)

I stepped away from my re-read of this series as I just knew the two books listed first were coming up. Even as a child I never cared for the books without Alec and the Black. These two (Sulky Colt and Island Stallion Races) were even worse than I remembered. I wonder if The Island Stallion Races is what turned me off of sci-fi. The Black Stalli
Abby Eck
Fantastic, an eerie (in a good way) story with plenty of scenes that create mind pictures to go with it. Definitely on my favorite mysteries list.
Stacey
At first I had a hard time getting into this book, but soon I was absorbed. I read it pretty quickly as it isn't too long. I didn't know that there were other books in the series until I looked it up on this website. At first I was worried that since I hadn't read the other earlier books in the series I might have a hard time understanding it, but I was fine. It is an easy read that helped to relax me after a long day at work. I think that next time I go to the used book store I will try to find ...more
Wendy
This felt kind of pointless, too, particularly after you read Young Black Stallion and a very important piece of caring about this book is retconned. The mystery was actually a twist I didn't see coming, so that was a positive, but the ending left a sour taste in my mouth.

Still, parts of it are pretty fun and engaging, although other parts drag. I suppose it's all a matter of taste, but I really just thought it was okay.
Sharon
I raced through this series as a child. Of course, "The Black Stallion" was my favorite, and I read it a few times, but I waited eagerly for any of the books to return to my branch of the library so I could snap them up.
Lynne Stringer
This was one of my least favourite Black Stallion books. I don't think Walter Farley is in his element when he veers away from the racing scene and engages in alternate storylines. I don't think it worked.
drowningmermaid
Found this one quite memorable, as it is different from the rest of the series. Creeped me out a little as a kid, too. The parentage of the black stallion STILL strikes me as WEIRD, all these years later.
Lori
The first book was the story of a boy and a horse, but the series grows with books on similar themes of overcoming adversity and animal/human bonding. Loved them as a kid.
Jessica Timmons
Brandon Lemke
It was a good book but the mystery took forever to become good I don't know why I even read it.
LJ
A favorite from high school, this story was also interesting the second time around.
Jackie Krasuski
There was not a Black Stallion book that I could ever put down. The stories are the best.
Theresa
they work together to solve what they thought was unsolvable
Lizzy Bogo
Great horse mystery. The main character really reminded me of TinTin.
Jessica
Jan 08, 2011 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse lovers
Recommended to Jessica by: me
See the first book in the series for a full review.
Taylor
Jan 14, 2014 Taylor rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1
Didn't like this one as much. A little corny maybe?
Ashley
Surprising kind of spooky and really good.
Kaitlyn
Cws
JAR5-Far
how is this book? 4 14 Oct 24, 2012 06:32AM
  • Born to Trot
  • The Black Stallion's Steeplechaser (Black Stallion Retuns, #2)
  • Pride's Last Race (Thoroughbred, #10)
  • Thunderhead (Flicka, #2)
  • Gypsy from Nowhere (Gypsy, #1)
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th
More about Walter Farley...
The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1) The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2) The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4) Man O'War The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)