Start by marking “If You Only Knew (Friendship Ring, #1)” as Want to Read:
If You Only Knew (Friendship Ring, #1)

If You Only Knew (Friendship Ring #1)

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  281 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Tomboyish, 12-year-old Zoe is friends with everyone in seventh grade, even the boys. She's never wanted a best friend, until now, as she tries to win over quiet, serious CJ.
Paperback
Published July 1st 1998 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about If You Only Knew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Only Knew

Ellen
Apr 21, 2008 Ellen rated it it was amazing
i loved this book! i really just kind of liked the theme but, i dont know! i really liked it though! it started when my sister told me that she had a security camera hidden in her room. i knew she was lying, but she just kept on denying me! so i went into her room and stole a bunch of stuff including some books, pens, even one of her shirts! for about a week, she hadnt noticed or said anything about it. one day, i told her that i had stolen her stuff and that her "security camera" hadnt caught m ...more
Breanne
I bought this book in middle school and something about it resonated with me to the point that it's still one of my favorite reads. I love the simplicity of the writing style and the way that it perfectly captures that weird, confusing time middle school is for girls. Love, love, love this.
KtotheC
NOSTALGIA!!!!!!
Jadah Abram
May 02, 2014 Jadah Abram rated it really liked it
If You Only Knew
Rachel Vail
600L
Star Rating 3.5 Stars
#1- I actually enjoyed the book. I think it was because it was realistic fiction so I can better relate to the book. Also the book was about an average girl, Zoe, who was trying to become best friends with someone who she could talk about with anything. Zoe hopes that her friendship will last with CJ without breaking up CJ's friendship with Morgan, her previous best friend.
#2- My favorite part of the book was when Zoe asked Tommy, her crush, w
Ryan Noelle
Aug 12, 2015 Ryan Noelle rated it really liked it
I thought this was a cute book it shows you how much friendships count throughout this book Zoe just wanted to be friends with CJ and she even set up her best guy friend with her so that she could be happy and have a boyfriend. To me this book shows the true meaning of friendship.
Paula
Feb 11, 2016 Paula rated it really liked it
I remember buying this from my school book club and liking this like 12 years ago. It came with a cute little friendship ring. I remember the ending wasn't satisfing but I saw there were other books to this series so maybe that's why.
Shallon J
Oct 27, 2015 Shallon J rated it really liked it
Wow! I didn't know what to expect going into this book, but wow! Amazing start to the series! I know I'm buying the rest of these ASAP!
Angela
Sep 22, 2014 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: teen
A journey back to 7th grade, which was not good for me. My sixth grade friends had recently dumped me and told me I didn't have any spunk. Seriously. So I entered 7th grade (the first grade in my middle school) without any close friends. Thank the powers that be for sending me Alyson. Anyway, 7th grade is full of hormones and boys and homework and boys and trying to fit in and boys. This story did a fine job of taking me back 30 years.
Savannah Sams
Aug 07, 2014 Savannah Sams rated it really liked it
This was good
Samantha Glasser
Sep 04, 2013 Samantha Glasser rated it really liked it
I purchased the first and second book in this series as part of the scholastic book club in elementary school. It came with a replica of the friendship ring, a granny knot in silver, which I wore well into high school.

The characters in these books aren't all that different from many young adult characters. They're unsure of themselves, they want friends, they're curious about new things, etc. However, I enjoyed reading about them and they passed the time nicely.
Ellen
Jan 25, 2012 Ellen rated it really liked it
Feels pretty authentic. 7th grader needs to navigate friendships and how they change as hormones start to kick in. Zoe = Very likable protagonist. Tommy = good pal from childhood & possible love interest. CJ = pretty, popular girl & possible BFF Morgan = pretty, popular, in competition to be CJ's BFF Jonas= Tommy's twin.
Agnes Mack
Aug 25, 2011 Agnes Mack rated it it was ok
I read this because I wanted to have some Young Adult recommedations to give to potential buyers of books for the YA genre and this came recommended. This is one in a 5 book series and while the writing was simple and the plot predictable I'm not going to lie - I want to read the rest!
Ruby Sc
Oct 01, 2013 Ruby Sc rated it really liked it
As not much of a book nook I read this book not by force but at first i was very reluctant to start reading but in the end I really liked it It really reminded me of my friend at my old school because I was like Zoe and she was like CJ
Miss December
Sep 15, 2013 Miss December rated it really liked it
When I was younger, I read this when it first came out in 1998. It had such an appeal to me. The relationships/ friendships, etc.

Reading it as an adult though, there wasn't as much appeal. I still appreciate it for what it was though.
Delia
Oct 17, 2008 Delia rated it liked it
this was a good book but the shape of the book it self is a little strange. I think that this is one of the books were you need to read the whole series. also it is more of a girl book and i wouldn't recomend it to a guy.
Cierra Ross
Aug 15, 2007 Cierra Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ilovethese
This book is about how these to girls Zoe Grandon and CJ Hurley were friends.All of a sudden they wanted to because the best of friends over the school year.So Zoe had to figure out what she was gonna do about the situation.
Charlotte
Jan 31, 2012 Charlotte rated it liked it
This book was originally for my sister to read, but I think she just passed on it. So i read it, it's a quick easy read good for teens. Has positive messeges.
3 and a 1/2 stars from me :)
Joyce
Mar 02, 2013 Joyce rated it liked it
It's a very nice story, i thought that zoe and tommy gonna be together but it turns to Cj. Too bad, but i really like it so much =)
Julie
Jan 28, 2015 Julie rated it did not like it
A meh read for middle schoolers...not a book I would recommend to my reluctant readers. Also, the ending is quite disappointing.
April15
Aug 02, 2011 April15 rated it it was amazing
Very well written. Its about this girl her friends and family and their troubles. It's what some families really go through.
cubbie
Jul 13, 2013 cubbie rated it it was amazing
i LOVE the painful, awkward realness of these books, exploring all the intricacies of figuring out who you are.
Kenley
Sep 10, 2008 Kenley rated it did not like it
this series is lame! they make 7th grade seem like a soap opera; it's so stupid. not worth reading...
Sally
Sep 24, 2009 Sally rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, friendship
I really liked this and was sad I could never find any more in the series!
Sylvia
Nov 25, 2009 Sylvia rated it it was amazing
Circle of friends starting grade 7. Nice Stories
jessica_is_a_bookworm
i think this book was pretty good.
Miranda Kerr-bloom
Aug 23, 2013 Miranda Kerr-bloom rated it it was amazing
tommy and zoe! wink wink
Kellie Mcquillen
Kellie Mcquillen marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Moony
Moony added it
Apr 25, 2016
What's The Name o...: Friendship Ring Series! [s] 6 17 Sep 04, 2013 12:21PM
  • Dawn: Diary 1 (California Diaries, #1)
  • The Nose from Jupiter
  • Spider Boy
  • Clueless (Clueless, #1)
  • Blow Out the Moon
  • Ryan White: My Own Story
  • Wild River
  • Deal With It: A Whole New Approach to Your Body, Brain and Life as a gURL
  • Amber Brown Is Green With Envy
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Nerdy Nephew
  • The Giant-Slayer
Birth
I was born on July 25, 1966, in NEW YORK CITY, and grew up in New Rochelle, NY, with my mother, my father, and my younger brother Jon. (And down the street from my future husband, though of course I didn't know that until much later.)

Interests
Some details, I do know-I was very into reading and theater, so I read every book I could get my hands on (especially realistic fiction, either contempo
More about Rachel Vail...

Friendship Ring (6 books)
  • Please, Please, Please (Friendship Ring, #2)
  • Not That I Care (Friendship Ring, #3)
  • What Are Friends For? (Friendship Ring, #4)
  • Popularity Contest (Friendship Ring, #5)
  • Fill In The Blank (Friendship Ring, #6)