Start by marking “Silver Shark (Kinsmen, #2)” as Want to Read:
Silver Shark (Kinsmen, #2)

Silver Shark (Kinsmen #2)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  5,370 Ratings  ·  344 Reviews
Claire Shannon is a killer. She uses no weapons, only her mind.

Born on a planet locked in a long war, Claire is a psycher, a woman with the ability to attack minds and infiltrate a biological computer network where psychers battle to the death. But when the war abruptly ends, Claire must hide her psycher's ability to survive. She is deported to a new planet, a vivid beauti
Nook, 96 pages
Published September 14th 2011 by NYLA (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Shark, please sign up.

Val Booklover
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Buddy read with the eye candy IA Addicts starting Feb 14, 2015.

Please remind me again. Why do I bother to write reviews for anything Ilona Andrews? Honestly, I think it must be getting pretty boring for you at this point.

► It usually goes like this:
Awesome. Blah blah blah blah. Loved it. Blah blah blah blah. So cool. Blah blah blah blah. Fantastic. Blah blah blah blah. Bloody amazing. Blah blah blah blah. Just great. Blah blah blah blah. Simply brilliant. Blah blah blah blah. You need this book
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
3.5 Too Short Stars

These books would have been great if they were normal-length but they are too short and sadly suffer from novella syndrome. They seem too rushed and not really complete, and you don't get enough time to get used to and understand things like the bio-net or psychers. I would love a new full-length novel on the series.

Generally the book was good but nothing really impressive. The first one was much better and although Claire was badass, she was also a bit whiny at some points so
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

kickassCantStopkickass

Oh, look! There are TWO kick-asses! Whoopsie. Must've been a mistake, right?

NOPE.

Silver Shark is just that awesome.

We're back in the world of the Kinsmen, only this time we aren't dealing with two rival families.

The blurb (YAY, I actually read one this time) does an excellent job of summarizing the position Claire Shannon finds herself in on a new planet---she's hiding her ability, she has a tenuous grasp on a new start, and she has 3 months to successfully fi
Danae
Feb 14, 2015 Danae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BR with the lovely ladies over at IAA.

Ilona Andrews has done it again. They've managed to take a story that could have been very plain and turned it into a drug that I need more of. I want more kick-ass characters, a more in depth look at this interesting world, more of everything.

I would love to see more stories set in the world of the Kinsmen, so I really hope the authors come back to it eventually.
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 Stars

Buddy Read with my lovely ladies over at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA)

This quick story set in the Kinsmen world seemed like a great blend of The Matrixx meets Hackers (anyone else besides be remember that movie) and classic Ilona Andrews flare.

Claire is a trained killer and one of the most powerful psychers alive. She has been at war since childhood and they just lost. To survive she must pretend to have no psychic ability and start over on a different planet. She comes from a world of gr
Milda Page Runner
Ready Player One meets sexy romance. I liked it. Quick moving plot and excellent worldbuilding - in this case of two worlds and bio-net. Really fast read.
Alexa
Feb 15, 2015 Alexa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Read with the awesome bunch at Ilona Andrews Addicts!

This one was a lot better than Silent Blade. I think it was a combination of a longer page count (almost double!) and the fact that there was some groundwork laid out in the previous book about the Kinsmen and how the society works.

The best part? There's no insta-love! Hurray!

Ilona does several fast-forward cut scenes, which I thought was genius. By doing this she implies that the two main characters have been working together for a while, s
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
If only this book was any longer!!

Wonderful wonderful! Have I ever said that I love the worlds IA creates? Yes, a 1000 times.
This book had some similarities with Psy-Changeling series of NS. The bio-net similar to psy-net, tasteless foods the heroine used to eat in her planet and the overwhelming sensations she has in the new world. Or if you have seen the movie eXistenz with Jude Law, then you know what I mean

Claire and Venturo are so good together, I loved the development of their story and I
Katie Michaels
Sep 14, 2011 Katie Michaels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, sci-fi-romance
Claire has lived her entire life surrounded by war. She was forced into military service at 14; her psychic gifts, powerful enough to kill. But now, the war is over and those very same abilities have turned her into a target. Such a powerful Kinsman could never be kept alive. So Claire must hide her skills and appear as a normal person in order survive.

She is forced from the bleak, war-torn world and becomes a refugee on a new planet. There, she goes to work for Venturo Escana, a Kinsman whose p
Catherine
My Kindle edition had a lot of spelling errors and bad punctuation, ill-formed sentences and clunky editing in general. It was a bummer. The story started out wonderfully and I was immediately pulled in to the world and in league with our heroine. She was such a bad ass early on, I was disappointed to see her turn into a doubtful, jealous, meek girl. These episodes never lasted long, thankfully, but they felt out of character.

It was a good story and I enjoyed it but I'm afraid the lack of editi
MrsJoseph

This right here.

I loved this. LOVED.

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I started Silver Shark. I'd just finished reading Silent Blade and I *guess* I was expecting it to be more like Silent Blade .

Silver Shark both is and is not like Silent Blade. The books are in the same series so of course they are a lot alike. Both books (plus Of Swine and Roses ) served as inspiration for Hidden Legacy, both books are Sci-Fi and both have some deception in it. B
AH
I love the writing team that is Ilona Andrews. I am so happy whenever there is a new release of their books. I don't usually read science fiction, but I enjoyed this.

Our heroine Claire Shannon is a psycher, someone with the ability to attack others' minds telepathically. When her side loses a 300+ year battle, she is deported to another planet. She is given three months to find a job, otherwise risk deportation back to her world.

Claire finds work at Venturo Escara's corporation and she senses a
Paige  Bookdragon

I love it. Too bad it's short but I like this better than the first book.
JAIME
Feb 16, 2015 JAIME rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-reads
This was supposed to be a Buddy-Read with the wonderful IAA team. But, I'm busy/slack/distracted at the moment so I crammed it in over a couple of lunch breaks a few days later. YOLO.

Another really really cool concept from IA. And, I liked the characters in this one way more than in Silent Blade. I even liked the characters from Silent Blade way more in this one.

I really enjoy IA shorts, and hope for a bunch more in this series.
Suzanne
Jul 29, 2016 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know I'm prejudiced with this one, but I've always loved the idea of psychic powers, and I always enjoy Ilona Andrews. There was a lot packed into this novella - I'd love to read longer books set in this universe.
-Ya
Considering the limitation of managing character development and building a fascinating world in a short novella, Ilona Andrews display their talent in Silver Shark with well-developed characters, creativity, a believable romance, and interesting sci-fi elements that are easy to understand.

Claire and Venturo are lethal psychers, ie, they have ability to hurt or kill people (unauthorized users) just using their mind when logging into biological computer network. ( think hub, cloud, Matrix-like )
AMythicalBeast
Sep 16, 2011 AMythicalBeast rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science fiction, romance, urban fantasy
Recommended to AMythicalBeast by: Ilona Andrews blog
4.85/5 (one must be very clear about these things) =D

I'll begin by the worst fault of the book - the absolutely heinous, most maddening, unpardonable of all its flaws - it's too short.

The premise is set beautifully. The first 25% of my ebook takes me from a war torn world, where existence is a punishment to be endured in service of a cause beyond your understanding and with loyalty to an unfeeling corporation trapped in an unending battle began and run by greed, to a planet where every colour is
Julie
Sep 15, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Posted at http://yummymenandkickasschicks.com/?...

Silver Shark is a short story by Ilona Andrews and is the second story in their Kinsmen series. Now, I am about to tell you guys something that may shock and surprise you. I really like Ilona Andrews’ writing voice and style. This writing couple is responsible for one of my two mostest favorite book series in the whole world. Okay, okay. I know this isn’t really a crazy revelation to those of you who visit here often, but I just thought it was du
Vicky (the Blowtorch-Wielding OotCDCB™)
Time to write a review… with actual words… which will start flowing out from me right now… *hands hover over keyboard*

To be honest, I'm not sure what to write. Ilona and Gordon Andrews are 2 of my favorite writers. I tend to love everything they write and that was the case with the previous novella set in this world… but this one was just ok for me I guess. There was nothing I disliked in it, but there also wasn’t anything I flat-out loved. It had a cool world (the bionet stuff reminded me of Na
Sep 16, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper
Loved it!

I'm awful at giving reviews but here goes:

The Kinsmen world is fascinating and I love learning more about it. Ilona & Gordon write such absorbing worlds and characters. I look forward to any more pieces they give us regarding the Kinsmen.

The story is rich and absorbing with the reader being drawn in and held captive until the very end of the book.

I loved Claire from the very beginning. She came across as a very strong and independant woman. Ven....I mean WOW! If only I could find
Mimi Smith
Oct 11, 2011 Mimi Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uf-r
5 stars

This was truly an amazing story, made all the more amazing by its shortness. How everything manages to happen in so few pages AND the characters manage to be real and lovable, I don't know. Kudos to the Andrews team for doing it. This is the 2nd book in the Kinsmen series...

A Bit More About The World

And, not surprisingly, the world keeps developing. In the previous book we find out about Kinsmen, here we find out more about the world itself and the Psychers are introduced.

Many years ago
Marcela (BookaholicCat)
4 Stars

This review is also published at http://thebookaholiccat.com

Silver Shark is book two in the Kinsmen series by Ilona Andrews. (What happened to me that I didn’t know about this series *headdesk*)

At fourteen years old Claire Shannon was recruited by the Brodwyn Corp. to joint their army in their fight for the planet Uley against the Melko Corp. After many years of battling, the war comes to an end with Brodwin as the loser.
Claire is a very powerful psycher, she has the ability to telepath
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Between 4 & 5 stars for this sci fi romance novella. It's set in the same world as Silent Blade, but you don't have to read one to understand the other. It was a treat getting an update on Meli and Celino, though.

Ilona Andrews referred to this one as a Billionaire and His Secretary romance, except that the secretary can kill you with her mind. This is my kind of romance.

For the sci fi fan, there are biologically enhanced psychic warriors (called psychers), bionet computers that psychers jack
Bry
God I wish they would make these into full fledged books! I love this universe. It is well thought out, beautiful, full of political intrigue, prejudice, and abilities. This is a bit longer than a short story and is more novella length, but I wish it had been longer.

Claire and Ven were fantastic characters with real and complex emotions, thoughts, and backstories. The worlds they live in are beautifully described, and always left me wanting more. Thier relationship evolved naturally, was well p
Carisa
Feb 16, 2013 Carisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carisa by: Ana
I just couldn’t stop reading this novella, excellent writing, excellent plot and an original futuristic world. It’s more about heroine’s survival and falling silently in love, as romantic interaction between H/h picks up after the middle. It was my first read from this pair of authors and I’ll add at least one of their series to my pile.
SCENES/CONTENT: one/hot
GENRE/TONE: futuristic/mixed
LENGTH: 106 pages
Cathy (cathepsut)
Great story, the romance worked well for me, great characters, good snark, superb world-building in these few pages, with beautiful and vivid descriptions, definitely worth a full-length novel.

My only beef with this novella is the ending. WTF? That was such an infuriating place to finish the last chapter and with no sequel in sight. Argh.

I really, really like this on. Great fun.
Janice (Janicu)
Sep 16, 2011 Janice (Janicu) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm thinking 4.5! Wish goodreads would let me do half stars!

Review from my book blog (wordpress / livejournal)

Silver Shark is the second novella set in the Kinsmen universe (the first is Silent Blade, which was published by Samhain, but each book can be read out of order), which is being self-published by the authors. This review is based on an eARC that I requested and received from Ilona Andrews.

The Premise: Captain Claire Shannon is the leader of a team of psychers on the planet Uley. For 300
Lexie
Its not a secret I have read, enjoyed and recc'ed the Andrews Duo's books countless times. So its not hard to imagine my happy delight when I got a chance to read their newest novella "Silver Shark" ahead of time. This is set in the same universe as their futuristic romance "Silent Blade" published by Samhain a couple years back. The two stories can be read independent of each other, though "Silent Blade" is set in New Delphi and it wouldn't hurt to have read it since it explores a different tra ...more
Chachic
Sep 14, 2011 Chachic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted here.

Silver Shark by Ilona Andrews is a romantic science fiction story set in the same world as Silent Blade. I gobble up everything written by Ilona and Gordon, the power couple behind the pseudonym Ilona Andrews. I'm so glad they decided to revisit this world because I thoroughly enjoyed reading Silent Blade and I even reread it a few weeks ago. I've been wanting to read Silver Shark ever since Ilona first posted snippets on their blog. So when she offered review copies on Tw
Mrs. Badass
Sep 15, 2011 Mrs. Badass rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Posted at Badass Book Reviews
You know what? I totally loved this book and devoured it in one sitting. I am a fan girl, you know that right? But still,I call it like I see it, and I don’t have an issue saying when I don’t like something. Even from a favorite author. But I really enjoyed Silver Shark. Except for one thing. I’ll get to that in a minute.

Claire Shannon is a powerful psycher, and can obliterate you with her mind. That is an awesomely scary superpower. Trapped on a planet since birth,
Ilona Andrews Fans: Silver Shark 7 64 Oct 06, 2011 04:25PM
  • Fathers and Sons (Awake) (Curran POV, #9)
  • Killbox (Sirantha Jax, #4)
  • Finders Keepers
  • Song of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #1)
  • Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City (Iron Seas, #1.5)
  • Under Her Skin
  • Enemy Within (Enemy, #1)
  • Close Encounters (Alien Affairs, #1)
  • An Accidental Goddess
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade ...more
More about Ilona Andrews...

Kinsmen (2 books)
  • Silent Blade (Kinsmen, #1)