Start by marking “The Divine Romance: A Study in Brokeness” as Want to Read:
The Divine Romance: A Study in Brokeness

The Divine Romance: A Study in Brokeness

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  606 ratings  ·  68 reviews
A book of power, beauty and grandeur, here is a majestic rendition of the love of God. Rarely has a piece of Christian literature combined the simplicity of the storytelling art with the profound depths of the Christian faith. In this sweeping saga, spanning from eternity to eternity, you will discover some of the deepest riches afforded the believer. Who is fit to be the...more
Audiobook, 0 pages
Published April 15th 2011 by christianaudio (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Divine Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Divine Romance

Colleen
This is a work of fiction that tells the story from God's perspective. From the very beginning when God created all that is, he longed to create a counterpart for himself because He was lonely. He created man (i.e., adam), in his image, but soon man was lonely and asked for a counterpart, which God made for him (i.e., Eve). God was still lonely.

Humanity fell from Grace but God still persued them to have a relationship with them, but after repeated failures on humanity's part to come back to God...more
Lynne Stringer
I don't know if Gene Edwards deliberately took theological liberties in this book in the name of allegory or if he agrees with all the points he seems to make in its pages. I guess I could have misinterpreted things, but the trouble with making allegory out of scripture is that it can be taken the wrong way, and that's dangerous when you're dealing with things of God.
From the first few pages, This book seems to suggest that to be made in the image of God equates with being male. This is certainl...more
Frank
As a novel this is a great book, but one that should not be taken out of the novel realm. The reader must not take the writing to represent the Christian God as revealed in Scripture. Nor the imagine of Angels to be taken as real nor what they say. I love his idea of Divine Romance and think there is a lot to be learned from the author. The famous poem "The Hound of Heaven" also talks of this Divine Romance. However one must not be confused in thinking what is written in this book is Scripturall...more
Jewell Drury
This is a fiction book which shares the love story of a God with his people but closer than that His love story with me .The story unravels beautifully like a play before your eyes as you get to see and hear conversations between Angels , of people through the ages as you catch a glimpse of Gods heart through the centuries . This is the best love story ever written in my view and it will compel you to the very heart of God as you become undone by his love for you .
Christopher Kanas
It takes me awhile to get into the prose of Gene Edwards. I must admit, when it comes to reading Christian-based material I am usually direct myself to more non-fiction, philosophical material but I was recommended Edwards "The Tale of Three Kings" and enjoyed that, and that book directed to this. And, again, I find myself appreciating Edwards perspective on this celestial and cosmological story.

The book is not without some faults. Although it is fairly short, it could be condensed even more as...more
Steve Walden
Jul 08, 2014 Steve Walden rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steve by: Leslie Walden
Years ago, in high school (class of '91), I read this with the intent of just bagging a quick read for my english teacher's assignment of reading two books per month. What I didn't realize was that it opened my eyes to the realization that God valued me much more than I ever expected. I appreciated that this book was unlike so many Christian books in that it did not go for eloquence and structure and forethought. It went for simplicity and artistry and passion. At the end, I so wanted it to keep...more
Lorie
A book that makes categorization difficult. The Bible Study that my roommate and I hosted in 1985 consisted of ourselves and a few fine fun folks we met at University Pres.: Christopher, Patty, Rob and Barry. A few others would come and go, but this was the devoted core. Structure was casual with rotating leadership. For my turn, we read and discussed A Divine Romance. I devoured it, and was grateful to experience the obliteration of my self-serving ruts on who and what God is. How fresh was the...more
Jim Golden
This was not my first choice for reading being more the action or fantasy time of reader like the Lord of the Rings, but through my wife's persistance I decided to read it twice. It change my life and view of why we were created. Mr. Edwards definitely has some "inspired" info going on in this book you won't want to miss out on this revelation.
Jake
Some really classy writing, but the premise of a lonely God looking for a counterpart, takes the imagery of Christ and the Church to a perilous extreme. The end result is a colossally unedifying read.
Luke Jones
The opening was great. Gene Edwards imagining of the Garden of Eden was really stunning. The rest of the book, however, didn't seem all that original.
Ben B
A very difficult book to explain or to talk about. You really just have to read it.
Jason Collins
It is the most beautiful love story ever told...
Ken Claassen
I first read this book in 1987. I was 13 years old. This is the book that made me want to start writing Fantasy fiction (and Christian fantasy fiction if I could swing it) in the first place. Yes, something's in here are theologically and hermeneutically questionable. Does this make it any less a great story--one that introduces those that don't know to our Great Lover's great heart for them? No. The theological and interpretive errors made in this book can be corrected with time and patience, w...more
Serena
Cast is the majestic yet lonely, longing for love & continually neglected hero...God, the Creator, the Builder, the source of all love, as He watches from the heavenlies as His creation, man & woman, experience this beautiful thing called falling in love with their counterpart. while we along with the angels eagerly hope & wait for God to have what He has yearned for since before time even began, someone to love Him...His bride. Such beautiful yet simple story telling that makes you...more
Ștefan Băbălău
,,Divina Iubire,, este o carte despre putere, frumusețe și grandoare. . . Rareori a îmbinat o opera literară creștină simplitatea artei povestirii cu adâncimile profunde ale credinței creștine. În această povestire cuprinzătoare, care se întinde din veșnicie în veșnicie, vei descoperi câteva dintre cele mai adânci bogății disponibile credinciosului. Asemenea unei simfonii extraordinare, aici este una dintre cele mai maiestuoase prezentări ale dragostei lui Dumnezeu, cea mai extraordinara dintre...more
Julie Beekman
I thoroughly enjoyed this love story and would highly recommend it! It fictionally portrays how God wants our WHOLE heart, mind and soul in a relationship with Him. From Scripture we know that God is perfect and complete in every way and could not be missing anything. However, He did choose to create man for His enjoyment and He delights in us. We cannot really comprehend that kind of love, so I think this portrayal is stimulating food for creativity.

The cross and crucifixion part of the story w...more
Amy Riccio
Gene Edwards has such insight and revelation into the mysteries of God and such a poetic, yet clear and concise way of bringing them to the page. I love the imagination mixed with truth in this story of the ultimate love of God for me.. His Bride.
Grace
This book is now one of my favorite books of all time. Yes, I do agree that this should not be taken literally, or as somewhat like the Bible, but it gives a new perspective to readers. It shows God in a different perspective, someone familiar, someone like us. We can easily relate to the God portrayed in the story and we can feel the emotions there. It touches the readers' hearts more than ever, making them feel the love of God more. It is really a wonderful read.
Matt

6 STARS!

This book deserves it. This book should only be read by people who have fairly good knowledge of the Bible.
This book is not "Gospel" and possibly not always %100 theologically correct? but it may be??
However it brings out certain truths in ways that are absolutly brilliant and makes you realise how much God loves us all over again.

Sharon
I really enjoyed this book. It definitely draws you to a deeper place with God. Gene Edwards takes a great deal of poetic license in describing creation etc.. Again, this is not a book where one should be examining it's doctrine, but just enjoying the beauty of the story.
Alice
The author examines the dangerous things women do to obtain the fleeting feeling of being loved. Instead of finding true romance in a steamy novel, true love is experienced in "the divine romance." A good book for a personal study or a small group Bible study.
Becca
I should pick this book up again. I don't remember too much from it. What I do remember though, is the incredible sobbing I was doing by the end of the book, and also that I had this overwhelming love for God. This book made me fall in love with Christ.
Amy
Siki Dlanga
Mar 12, 2008 Siki Dlanga rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoy creatively told stories
beauty, beauty beauty. it was written with me in mind. if you want to understand a bit of the mystery of creation, the beauty of a woman and her role incomparason to what the church is meant to be. the blble told in a way that captivates your imagination.
Abby Bonilla
Jun 13, 2007 Abby Bonilla rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
wow talk about an amzing love story!!! It is crazy to TRY to wrap my mind around how much God loves us... I would totally recommend reading this book to everyone. God's love is blatantly expressed and shown by everything He has done, and does for us.
Lreyes0612
Jun 28, 2011 Lreyes0612 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A book of power, beauty, and grandeur, here is a majestic rendition of the love of God. Rarely has a piece of Christian literature combined the simplicity of the storytelling art with the profound depths of the Christian faith.
Jana
I did not finish the book. Felt it was not my season to really get from it what I think the author was trying to share. Maybe I will come back to it because I have heard from others that it is a really great book.
Rachel
I really loved the beginning about creation, and really interesting take on the trinity, got me really thinking. Got a bit confused and over it towards the end, too much over-stimulating of my imagination!
Andrew
This book literally changed my life. I have never encountered such deep pain, such beautiful Life, and such wonderful, wonderful Love. Gene Edwards reveals the heart of God in a purity that is rarely seen.
  • Experiencing the Depths of Jesus Christ
  • The Three Battlegrounds: An In-Depth View of the Three Arenas of Spiritual Warfare: The Mind, the Church and the Heavenly Places
  • Mountains of Spices
  • Spiritual Authority
  • The Singer Trilogy: The Mythic Retelling of the Story of the New Testament
  • The Torch and the Sword (Final Quest)
  • Dreaming With God
  • Reimagining Church: Pursuing the Dream of Organic Christianity
  • Is That Really You, God?: Hearing the Voice of God
  • Your God is Too Small
  • Beyond Our Selves
  • Changes That Heal: How to Understand the Past to Ensure a Healthier Future
  • The Fear of the Lord: Discover the Key to Intimately Knowing God (Inner Strength Series)
  • Red Moon Rising: How 24-7 Prayer Is Awakening a Generation
  • Render Unto Caesar: Serving the Nation by Living our Catholic Beliefs in Political Life
  • Improving Your Serve: The Art of Unselfish Living
  • Surprised by the Power of the Spirit: Discovering How God Speaks and Heals Today
  • Humility
31941
Gene Edwards is one of America's most beloved Christian authors. He has published over 25 best-selling books, and his signature work, "The Divine Romance," has been called a masterpiece of Christian literature. He has written biblical fiction covering nearly the entire Bible, with titles that include the following: "The Beginning," "The Escape," "The Birth," "The Divine Romance," "The Triumph," "R...more
More about Gene Edwards...
A Tale of Three Kings The Prisoner in the Third Cell The Day I Was Crucified The Beginning (Chronicles of Heaven) The Birth