Start by marking “Goth Bible” as Want to Read:
Goth Bible

Goth Bible

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  16 reviews

What you don't know about goths could fill a book!

An artistic culture that revels in the Victorian romantic movement, The goth Bible brings to light the traditions and history of all that is goth. The goth culture has been one of the most controversial and maligned in media history. Presented as homicidal, suicidal and socio-pathic, in the national consciousness goths are
Published October 4th 2004 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Goth Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goth Bible

Maryann
Jul 01, 2013 Maryann rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in graveyards but not goth.

If this is The Goth Bible, then what goth needs is a New Testament.

Sometimes a snappy title indicates an author’s talent. Often, however, it obscures a mediocre effort by piquing interest with a promise that will never be delivered. What I had hoped for was an authoritative compendium of all that is goth. At the very least, a worthy reference guide.

I suspected I was going to be disappointed from the moment I read the gem that is the first paragraph of the foreword:

“When my agent, Lori Perkins, s
Sara
I enjoyed reading this book. Nancy Kilpatrick wrote an entertaining and informative book about the goth subculture and about interesting, creepy, esoteric, haunting things in general. I learned quite a bit.

To start, I had no idea my husband's new Doc Martins made him so cool!

I learned quite a bit about music - punk, post punk, new wave, old stuff, new stuff. Looked up some of the bands online and listened to some of the music.

I learned about absinthe - history, current usage. The author has a c
Sam
I'll be honest, I was kind of disappointed by this book. While Kilpatrick does give a thorough although not entirely in depth look into the goth culture, its origins and influences, I found a lot of it aimed at disproving assumptions made by the mainstream or by showing those who think they're goth why they're not goth. It was this latter trend that I found rather excluding, which is not what the goth movement is all about. It doesn't matter how much of the lifestyle you do or don't follow, if y ...more
Kai
I kind of liked, kind of hated this book. It was informative in parts and had some interesting histories, but in other parts the author comes off as disappointingly snobbish and unnecessarily defensive and judgmental about the same people that are supposed to be becoming informed by this book. That's not exactly the best way to foster understanding and win people over.

I did enjoy reading people's personal stories about their lives in different subcultures and varying degrees of the lifestyle. B
Lára  Arnarsdóttir

This year I'm mostly doing the thing that, until 2014, I thought is not going to happen: rereading books, so I was looking at one of my home bookshelves and Goth Bible caught my eye. It's been years since I bought and read that one!

Once I settled in my bed, listening to Peter Murphy's new album, I started reading it and it's been so entertaining - for the 2nd time! I've haven't had that much fun in a whole year, at least not yet.

It's not a manual, but a book purely for entertainment. Lots of gre
Rachel Pollock
A sort of "insider guide" of sorts, full of relevant information but poorly copy-edited. And general editing could have been better as well, as many of the chapters read like they had been compiled from C&Ps from websites, which judging by the list of relevant websites at the end of each chapter, may have been the case. The book also suffers from the obsolescence of a lot of print media of its time (early 2000s) that relied on web links as if they were going to be eternally relevant. Many of ...more
Sofymoon
Really interesting, The goth World is so beautiful and various! If you are goths be proud of it :)
Michael
This book is a good introduction to the goth scene. It offers the basic information about goth music, fashion, and culture. It is by no means the most in depth source, but it can be a good reference to curious baby bats who want to get a good start on their own journey into the subculture.
Denise Monegato
Good browsing Goth read. I like the way the book is organized; it's 'consumer goth' culture, but the author provides historical background on gothic influences across different mediums. Kilpatrick uses language well. so far, so good, only halfway through.
Sheila
I didn't really know what to expect when I picked this book up. Once I read a few chapters I realized this was a kind of gothic history book. It's kind of a dull read really. I couldn't finish it.
Dexter
Currently reading this wonderful book, which is very well-written. I hope it knocks some of the misconceptions of the culture, of which there are many.
Raven
I LOVED IT. LOVE IT. IT WAS REALLY COOL! I DIDN'T KNOW THAT THE goth SUBCULTURE WAS SO VARIED AND ELABORATE... I REALLY ENJOYED THIS BOOK A LOT.
Princesschaos Brutile
this is ok i thought it was going to be as good at gothic charm school but it just is not
Lauren
I didn't fully read it but did enjoy the bits I read :)
Ashley Howd
Jun 11, 2011 Ashley Howd rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Goths (especially the younger ones) and anyone who wishes to understand Goths
Shelves: favorites, goth
A great resource on the Gothic subculture. . .
Claudia
Apr 22, 2008 Claudia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
anyone who has it i will but it!
Christine LaFauci
Christine LaFauci marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Serenity Ontario
Serenity Ontario marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Stefanie
Stefanie marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Phoebe
Phoebe is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2015
Laura Morrigan
Laura Morrigan is currently reading it
Mar 24, 2015
Rosie
Rosie marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Ebony Cabral
Ebony Cabral marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
  • Gothic: Dark Glamour
  • Encyclopedia Gothica
  • Gothic and Lolita
  • Gothic Grimoire
  • Wet Moon, Volume 2: Unseen Feet (Wet Moon)
  • Gothic!: Ten Original Dark Tales
  • Agnes Quill: An Anthology of Mystery
  • Oh My Goth
  • The Arena Wars (Arena Wars #1)
  • Fear the Fever (Hot Blood, #7)
  • Voice Of The Blood
  • Nemi - Vol. 1 (Nemi, #1)
  • The Art of Emily The Strange
Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead Child of the Night (Power of the Blood, #1) Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead Near Death (Power of the Blood, #2) As One Dead