Start by marking “Monkey and Elephant: Candlewick Sparks” as Want to Read:
Monkey and Elephant: Candlewick Sparks

Monkey and Elephant: Candlewick Sparks (Monkey and Elephant #1)

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Monkey may scamper and Elephant galump, but they're the best of buddies as they search for shade. That is, when they're not bickering about how to get there!

Monkey and Elephant are very good friends. The live in the jungle, which is sometimes very hot! So the two friends set out to find a shady spot. On the way, Monkey complains that Elephant is walking too bumpity, too zi
Published March 27th 2012 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about Monkey and Elephant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monkey and Elephant

Alyse Erickson
Dec 08, 2015 Alyse Erickson rated it really liked it
Shelves: tl-307
In this simple story told in three chapters, good friends Elephant and Monkey go in search for shade so they can cool off. But they start to get on each other's nerves pretty quickly since Monkey moves too slowly for Elephant and Elephant moves too quickly for Monkey. Even when they stop for water, Monkey drinks it too slowly, too daintily, while Elephant splooshes all the water in a puddle all over them. They end up singing songs and having fun again before Monkey is threatened by three wildcat ...more
Barbara
Apr 06, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, ncbla2013
A hot day will test any friendship as those of us who have lived in the South for much of our lives can attest. In this simple story told in three chapters, good friends Elephant and Monkey go in search for shade so they can cool off. But they start to get on each other's nerves pretty quickly since Monkey moves too slowly for Elephant and Elephant moves too quickly for Monkey. Even when they stop for water, Monkey drinks it too slowly, too daintily, while Elephant splooshes all the water in a p ...more
Tami
Story is disappointing. It is a picture book in the form of an easy chapter book--which appealed to me immensely. I was excited to read it and wanted to like it. I can see where the author wanted to go with the story, but it fails on all counts.

Unfortunately the author did not capitalize on the format. If this was going to be published it would have been better suited in a larger format picture book, as the illustrations by Galia Bernstein are very good. They have bright, flat, pleasing jewel to
Michelle Murphy
Oct 25, 2012 Michelle Murphy rated it liked it
"Monkey and Elephant" by Carole Lexa Schaefer is a story about two very different animals with two very different personalities but they are friends nonetheless. They live in the jungle and it is so hot that they can barely stand the heat..and almost each other! In this 3 chapter book, Monkey and Elephant begin a journey in search of shade. They bicker, sing and have fun along the way.

This beginning chapter book is great for emerging readers, older struggling readers or any reader who is looking
Jessica
Nov 16, 2012 Jessica marked it as hikedigitalbookshelf
Monkey and Elephant are two very good friends with two very different personalities. When they set out for shade in a very hot jungle they start bickering about what the other one is doing. Will these two unlikely pals make it to shade before they become no longer friends.

This book is aimed at the newly independent readers. Although it is suitable for younger grades I think it would be a good book for older students who struggle with reading. It is filled with crazy adjectives, action words, an
David
Jul 20, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Monkey and Elephant by Carole Lexa Schaefer, illustrated by Galia Bernstein is a story of two friends who don't agree all the time.

Bernstein's illustrations were created digitally and emphasize the humor in the story. The facial features are expressive, particularly the eys. My favorite images are scampered, away together, too much, both singing, scary, quiet!, and final image.

This easy to read, humorous story in chapter book format will appeal to picturebook readers ready to begin short chapter
Becky
Jul 26, 2012 Becky rated it liked it
Monkey and Elephant are friends. But they are not exactly at their best in this chapter adventure for young readers. For it is extremely, irritatingly HOT, HOT, HOT. And the day is ripe for complaining and whining. Can these two friends make the best of an impossibly hot day? In the first chapter, Monkey and Elephant start off on their journey to find a shade tree. Before long, both are too thirsty...a puddle only provides temporary relief. In the second chapter, the two sing songs to one anothe ...more
Ange (Libby Blog) Schmelzer
Jun 03, 2012 Ange (Libby Blog) Schmelzer rated it really liked it
From the mouth of my 7-year old...
It is about a Monkey and an Elephant in 3 chapters. The Monkey and Elephant are friends. They need to find shade. They sing and they protect each other.

Her thoughts: It was funny! It was easy for me to read. The pictures were great. Have you read it? Did you like it?

My thoughts: I enjoyed listening to her read this to me. She read right through it easily, and really liked that she had read a chapter book in one sitting! She was so proud of her reading skills! :
Robust vocabulary
Friendship
Bailey Kincaid
Nov 03, 2012 Bailey Kincaid rated it really liked it
This is a short chapter book (3 chapters) about a Monkey and an Elephant who are best friends. They have to find shade where they live. They protect one another by singing, and it shows how important friendship is using the characters' well thought-out emotions and feelings.

This book is good for ages 5 and up.

It is a chapter book, but one that is very easy to read. Students can easily follow it, and will really enjoy the friendship that the two animals have.

It could be a great lesson about cl
Feb 07, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-readers
early reader
Shelli
This is the perfect book for students who are hesitant to start chapter books. Bright colorful pictures fill most of every page, while the writing quantity still picks up a bit more from a typical picture book. Also, written in chapter book format which gives children that confidence that they are working toward reading at a higher level.
Great Books
Apr 03, 2012 Great Books rated it liked it
Shelves: ages-5-8
The friendship of monkey and elephant is tested on a hot jungle day ! Great vocabulary for emerging young readers, evolking smiles and giggles, encompassed in three early chapters. Fun book to amplify with sound effects and is neither "too long or too short" it's just right. Reviewer 3.
Shannon
May 17, 2012 Shannon rated it liked it
I often wish I had more "beginning chapter book" options than Danny & the DInosaur, Henry & Mudge, and the Mr. Putter & Tabby series. This is the answer to all of my wishes. Now if I can only convince our school to get a set of them...
Heather
Jun 15, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
I picked this up because it's an easy chapter book that I thought my daughter would enjoy reading herself. She thought it was okay. The illustrations are cute, but the story is boring and the vocabulary is too simple.
Jen
Jul 08, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
Monkey and Elephant are the best of friends even though they don't always agree on everything. This short, three chapter book tells the tale of the two friends looking for shade.
Kkakaliouras
Sweet, silly story about a unique friendship. Good for emerging readers.
Donalyn
Monkey and Elephant have different personalities, but they are best friends.
katsok
Nov 01, 2012 katsok rated it liked it
Shelves: cybils-2012
Monkey and Elephant are friends who are very different. Sweet story.
Nicole
May 18, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter_book
Really fun easyreader/early chapter book. LOVE the illustrations.
Karen
Monkey & elephant get along in spirals their differences.
Edward Sullivan
Mar 21, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Shelves: early-readers
Enjoyable friendship story.
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Yamin Thu
Yamin Thu marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Andria
Andria rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Puli
Puli marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
When Carole Lexa Schaefer was growing up, she wanted to be both a poet and a journalist. In an unexpected way, she feels she achieved her ambition. While studying for a master's degree in early childhood education, she once put together a picture book made of photo essays. "The lyrical, every-word-counts genre captivated the poet and journalist in me," Carole Lexa Schaefer recalls--and she's been ...more
More about Carole Lexa Schaefer...

Monkey and Elephant (4 books)
  • Monkey and Elephant Go Gadding