Start by marking “Crown of Slaves (Honorverse: Wages of Sin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crown of Slaves (Honorverse: Wages of Sin, #1)

Crown of Slaves (Honorverse: Wages of Sin #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  3,302 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Le Royaume de Manticore et Havre ont signé une trêve mais la paix n’est pas encore là et le gouvernement Haute-Crête traîne les pieds. Par son arrogance il indispose même ses alliés, dont la République d’Erewhon. Or c’est à Erewhon que se tiennent les funérailles du leader assassiné d’un grand mouvement antiesclavagiste. Parmi les représentants de toutes les nations stella ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Bean Books

To ask other readers questions about Crown of Slaves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crown of Slaves

Joyce
I was trying to figure out why this is arguably my favorite outing in the entire "Honorverse", when I came across this line:

"He's perfect! Just the kind of stiff-upper-lip Manticoran nobleman who will be _damned_, Sir! if he'll let a bunch of lousy slavers and pirates hold the Star Kingdom to ransom"

and then it occurred to me that when you come down to it, Honor herself kind of is one of those stiff-upper-lip etc. She's not utterly humorless, but let's just say her first name isn't Comedy either
Oni
This book is a spin-off from the Honor Harrington series, using the same universe, but following different story line. The story line is about the conflict between Mesa and Manpower Inc. against the slave rebellion. Call it a Spartacus in space.

The story starts with a mission by Anton Zilwicki, one of the Manticore's super spy, to the Erewhon star system, looking at to fix the shattered relationship caused by the idiot High Ridge government. He is accompanied by her daughter Berry, and the spy-i
Marina Sinelnikova
I loved reading about Cachat again, though there was a bit too much about his sex life to my taste; and Oversteegen is also a type of character I like - also some fun new additions like Luis Roczak.
I found Ruth a bit too talented - sure I can believe in teenage hackers and political nerds, but being able to analyze the plot right after she was shot at and her bodyguards killed sounds a bit too much, especially since we are told that she has a volatile character (compare that to her volatile aunt
Jim
From Publishers Weekly

Fans of Weber's Honor Harrington series know that one of its more intriguing aspects is the "Honorverse," the historical, political and astrophysical foundation upon which he builds his plots. They will be delighted with this offshoot in which he and coauthor Flint (1633) develop several situations and characters from other stories. Due to the incompetence of Queen Elizabeth's current government, the alliance between the Star Kingdom of Manticore and Erewhon is on the ver

Edward
I gave up after getting about a quarter of the way in. I went to this as I had read/listened to all the main Honor Harrington timeline books and was looking to fill in the gaps with these other tie-in series.

I just couldn't get into this one. It didn't help that, although the first book in a subseries, I learned you really needed to have read some earlier short stories in a couple of anthology books to have the background. There's a lot of talking going on to try and fill in what happened earlie
D. Jason
The first half to three-quarters is pretty amazing, as Eric Flint brings his chess-match-style story construction from previous shorter works in Weber's Honorverse ("From The Highlands" and "The Fanatic") to a full-on cloak-and-dagger novel.

Unfortunately, he loses a bit of traction in the ending, at least for me. To begin with, the title becomes distressingly literal, which disappointed me. Also, after the midpoint action bit, Flint seems to get bored with the (admittedly large number of) extra
Jay Sprenkle
A good start to a new series. The book also expands the legend of Victor Cachat. I really enjoyed the way the author resolved the situation he sets up in the book. It's a much more audacious ending than I expected
Cheryl
First of all, and it has nothing to do with the quality (high or low) of this book, but one of my pet peeves about series is having side stories that effect the main plot. Short stories can add to a character's backstory perhaps, but it should never advance the plot.

This duology that Weber wrote with Eric Flint not only introduces characters and a whole side set of political agendas, but people who are just sticking to the main Honor Harrington series can get a little lost. As I was listening t
Mayank Agarwal
Disappointment considering it's Eric Flint bringing us Victor Cachat. I enjoyed the earlier short stories on Victor and was really looking forward to the book, but seeing the size i knew Weber has ended up adding many useless pages.

Victor's book add laughter to the Honorverse but such writing need's to be kept short to really be enjoyed.Most of the novel is a drag to read with forced humor and nothing exciting happening. I did enjoy the last 150 pages when actually something meaningful does happ
John
Worst Honoverse book I've read. (I haven't read the other full-length non-mainline novels, but have read many of the short story collections). I read this novel only because some of this backstory is referred to in the main-line novels as of book 11 or so. Story is ok, but the treatment of slavery is so light for what should be a more serious topic. Plus the too-much-sexual-content for my preferences. Makes me want to avoid Eric Flint in the future, as apparently this is what he brings to the ta ...more
Carl Bussema
Solid enough after a rough start. It's hard to judge the book on its own because it's very clearly setting up a new storyline that will interweave with Honor's main story. How that all plays out will have a significant impact on how "good" this book is.

As far as the story told in this book, it is enjoyable and worth a read if you are interested in more of the details of the anti-Manpower Inc. operations that are hinted at or summarize in other books. On the other hand, if you just want the short
David
I was interested in the possibilities of a book in the Honorverse that diverged from the main line's focus on military SF. However, the first exercise into this new spin-off from Honor Harrington's continuing naval escapades was disappointing to me. I will agree with others suggesting that Eric Flint carried most of the work as the creator of the Zilwicki's, but the book is a weak example of what both authors are capable of at their best.

There are some interesting characters. The examination of
Marie
I liked the title and the pulpy cover, but in hindsight, I should have maybe read more than the back jacket flap before buying.

This book is AWFUL. I forced myself to read the first 10 chapters just in the hopes that it would eventually stop being solid back-to-back butler-maid dialogue, but alas, it wasn't to be.

I mean, literally, every scene consists of two people telling each other things they should both already know so the reader can get the exposition. (Also the backstory from the previous
Casey Hampton

Multiple articulated segments valiantly strive to give shape to this story. At times they move in joint cooperation and at others, they do not. This coauthored book is the first in what is being labeled the "Honorverse" series. It is said that it will launch an exciting new telling that... I'm sure you get the idea, or at least the idea that the publishers and Weber might wish you to have. The story appears simple at the surface. We encounter issues of slavery, the incessant pursuit of power, il
Harry Lane
Beginning a separate thread of the Honorverse series, but not all that separate. The events of this novel are peripheral to the conflict between Haven and Manticore, but look to be foundational to the larger story of the conflict with the "Sollies," not to mention the cloud on the horizon which is the Alignment. The change of focus from Harrington is welcome, and the story is as strong as the others in the main series. One other thing: in this novel there is a far stronger element of humor.
Linda
Great space opera romp. Two young female characters, ages 17 and 23, are the focus of the plot. Intrigue everywhere, subplots abound, and it's a page turner.

Honor Harrington makes a guest appearance but that's all. Victor Cachat has a prominent role. Cathy Montaigne, Anton Zilwicki, Jeremy X, Kevin Usher, and Queen Elizabeth of Manticore are minor characters.

Eric Flint adds his own distinctive touch to the novel, more light-hearted and breezy, than Weber's usual imprint.
Andreas
This is the first of a spinoff series in the the Honor Harrington Universe. My guess is that Flint is doing most of the writing since he is the one who came up with the Zilwicki characters in the Honorverse anthologies.

All the way through reading the book, I kept thinking that Weber and Flint can do much better than this. While the characters are engaging, the plot is lackluster. There’s a lot of interesting material here, but it just doesn’t feel like the high adventure it’s supposed to be. The
Annette
I tore through "Crown" (on my brand new Nook!) in 5 days, and never once thought to myself "enough already about the politics/precise technical specs/treecats already." In fact, the plot moved very quickly, with lots of action, good character development, dialog, the whole 9 yards. Good linking of chapters, too. And despite the 530 pages, it felt positively svelt compared to, say, The Shadow of Saganami.
About 1/3 of the way through I was noticing all of these great things and I thought "Hmm, I
Joshua Zucker
I enjoyed this book more than most of the more recent Honor books. The protagonists are a little over-awesome and over-perfect in the Heinlein tradition, but this book at least has a plot! And some real characterization again! And only a few overly long political explanations and virtually no overly long battle scenes!

Much more of a spy/thriller kind of story than a space battle or political kind of story, and that's a good thing.
Colleen
Astonished how much I enjoyed this diversion from Honor Harrington as the major focus. Also, Eric Flint is just a good fun author in his own right and I salute him for his cleverness in writing in David Weber's universe... because now I will inevitably have to pick up some of his standalone work.

There's also one key thing: Flint can actually write romance and not have it be weird. Which is great, since there's one in here that I'd been very excited for. (Disclaimer: I'm weird like that.) (view s
Lindsey
I did have to wonder if this would measure up to the Honor Harrington books, but I should have known better after reading the short story collections. Crown of Slaves is an excellent book which serves to further the depth of the Honorverse. Ruth and Berry are delightful as foils and a great look at intelligent teens/young adults. Weber and Flint expertly dance with Cachat's character to produce a realistic outcome. And you can hardly write about this novel without mentioning the fantastic Thandi ...more
Calisto
I love space operas and David Weber cemented his place in my favorites section with his Honor Harrington series. Crown of Slaves is a spin-off with several familiar characters. Can it be read w/o reading HH? Yes, if you are a fan of epic space operas with a cast of thousands, but there will be a lot of details that will make no sense and in true Weber tradition, there is a lot of meandering details and expository text that can leave anyone begging that for an editor that will freely use the red ...more
Kat
Recently reread this book -- one of my favorites in the Webster universe. Eric Flint has a way with characters and situations I really enjoy. His writing style is idiosyncratic, so I'd have to say give it a try and see if you like it or it annoys you.

His characters tend to be a little one-dimensional and over the top, but again that adds to the enjoyment. It would probably be most enjoyable for someone who is familiar with the Weber universe, just so you can understand the nuances of what's goin
Janika Puolitaival
Honor among thieves? One of the best David Weber's books.
Jeff Crosby
Here I go again, reading too many books at one time.

I find the Honorverse fascinating, but Honor Harrington less so. I seem more drawn to the side stories that are more politics and intrigue. This book is no exception. I found it hard to put down.

It is an interesting mixture of politics, espionage, and adventure story. Characters cross the stage from various portions of Weber's vision, adding depth and complications. Nothing is quite as it seems, and some interesting loose ends remain. Good fun.
Gerold Whittaker
There were parts of the book which I thoroughly enjoyed but the long political discussions just ruined it for me. Keeping track of the different protagonists, heroes and villains is also no mean feat. As a whole, I found the book boring in (many) parts. I was disappointed that Honor Harrington only played a minor role in the story but perhaps I misunderstood the quote on Webscription "...set in the "Honorverse" of Honor Harrington".
I read the Baen free ebook downloaded from: http://www.webscript
Kenneth Flusche
A little to much politics but still a good read
David
I started to read this book about six months ago but gave up on it a quarter of the way through because it had too much politics in it. I was also reading it "out of sequence" which didn't help. Having grown to like the Zilwicki's a lot in the "From the Highlands" story in Changer of Worlds I decided to try this again. And I'm glad I did. This time I understood the politics a lot more and I was already invested in the characters so it was a much more enjoyable read. Five stars from me.
Kathy Davie
Runs parallel with Honor Harrington.

Brings some very minor characters into a major role in this new series expanding upon their abilities on behalf of Manticore in repulsing a kidnapping leading to a coronation after the revolution. New, very unexpected allies come together in a good cause while some very happy assassinations take place...well, happy for me anyway!

Sets up a future scenario for the Solarian League and Manpower to, hopefully, take some nasty falls!
Kathi
Way too many coincidences and hard to imagine alliances, no matter how temporary, in this story. Yes, I know it's science fiction, but it really strained the bounds of believability on so many levels.

Having said that, however, I did enjoy it and the story moved right along. I had some trouble keeping all the conspirators and their changing allegiances straight, but it wasn't boring.

Interesting to see how this will fit into the larger Honor Harrington series.
  • With the Lightnings (Lt. Leary, #1)
  • Gust Front (Posleen War, #2)
  • Destiny's Shield (Belisarius, #3)
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...
On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1) The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2) The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3) Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4) Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)

“Oh, hell," Thandi muttered, her heart lower than ever. "I really blew it, didn't I?"

"Don't be silly," Berry scolded. "It's just your first lovers' spat. You accused of him of being an inhuman fiend, and he got a little miffed. No big deal.”
8 likes
“Cathy smiled back ‘Rules were meant to be broken.’

‘Don’t disagree,’ Oversteegen replied immediately. ‘Indeed they are. Providin’, however, that the one breakin’ the rules is willin’ t’ pay the price for it, and the price gets charged in full. Which you were, Lady Catharine. I saluted you for it then–at the family dinner table that night, in fact. My mother was infinitely more indisposed thereafter; tottered back t’ her bed cursin’ me for an ingrate. My father was none too pleased either. I salute you for it, again. Otherwise, breakin’ rules becomes the province of brats instead of heroes. Fastest way I can think t’ turn serious political affairs int’ a playpen. A civilized society needs a conscience, and conscience can’t be developed without martyrs—real ones—against which a nation can measure its crimes and sins.”
6 likes