Dick Whittington and His Cat

Dick Whittington and His Cat

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The well-loved tale of the London waif whose cat's prowess as a ratter results in Dick's becoming a successful merchant and Lord Mayor of London. Illustrated.
Published August 30th 1988 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Dick Whittington and His Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dick Whittington and His Cat

Ronyell
“Dick Whittington and his Cat” is a Caldecott Honor Book by Marcia Brown that is about how a poor boy named Dick Whittington has his life changed when he buys a cat to get rid of some troublesome mice. “Dick Whittington and his Cat” is a charming book that children will love for many years.

Marcia Brown has done a terrific job at both illustrating and writing this book. Marcia Brown gives the story a dramatic and depressing tone as the reader can feel Dick’s pain whenever he is mistreated by the...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Caldecott Honor 1951 - I am not even rating this. I think a 1 star would be too much. It is going to be slow going for the next several decades of Caldecott Honor Picture books.
Rebecca Tenbrook
I chose this book because it was a Caldecott winner and because it was a realistic tale and I wanted to read more of those types of traditional tales. I am going to be honest, I did not like this book. I was not interested in the reading at all and I don't know how kids of the 21st century would be interested in it as well. Now this book was written in 1950 and the language in this book is fairly easy to follow along with, it does incorporated some old English language that even I had a hard tim...more
Samantha
A poor young boy in London buys a cat known for being a good mouser. The cat helps not only the boy, but royalty both near and far and it is the cat's skills that make the poor young boy a rich man. Pictures are linoleum cuts. The story was just okay for me. I was rooting for the boy and the cat to be reunited, not for the cat to serve merely as the means for the boy to rise above poverty.
John
Caldecott Honor Book, 1951

Dick Whittington and His Cat is told and cut in linoleum.

Favorite illustration: page 8 (it is creepy)

This line made me laugh out loud: "Here the cook saw him, and being an ill-natured hussy, she called out, 'On your way there, lazy rouge, or would you like a scalding to make you jump'"
Rachel
I had never heard of this book until I picked it up for the Caldecott Challenge. The book won a 1951 Caldecott Honor, and I thought it had a fabulous story. Dick Whittington is an orphan who travels to London to seek his fortune, but it does not work out like he planned. He ends up working for a wealthy merchant, gets no sleep because of all the mice and rats that run over his bed, and is beaten by the cook. He gets a cat named Miss Puss for a penny and she helps him sleep by taking care of the...more
Cynthia
I really cannot imagine reading this book aloud to young readers today- - readers who are accustomed to Klassen & Peter Brown.

Perhaps there will be some who would pour over it as I did-especially during our Mock Caldecott.

I appreciated the illustrations immensely, and see this book in a different light as it is a Caldecott study to me.

Dolly
May 07, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful little tale, somewhat of a Cinderella story for boys. The young lad offers up his only possession, a cat, and in the end has more love, money and power than he could ever hope for. The illustrations by Marcia Brown are terrific linoleum cuts using only the colors of white, black and dull gold. We enjoyed reading this book together, but (view spoiler)...more
Sam
Caldecott Honor 1951; Favorite Illustration: near the end when Dick and Alice are talking under the tree.
A traditional English tale of a young boy who makes his fortune by being a hard worker and (luckily) befriending a cat.
This was a cute story, and I appreciated the artistic merit of the pictures, but they just weren't my favorite thing.
Beverly
I really like the linoleum prints with their thick black outlines, but I don't like the ugly ochre color used to highlight the prints. The legend surrounding Richard Whittington's childhood is well written and very interesting, even if it is not exactly true. The illustrations reflect the action of the story and the ill-treatment of poor Dick by the cook. It would have been nice if Brown could have used more colors in her illustrations, but perhaps that would have been too expensive to produce.
Lorna
1951 Caldecott Honor

Favorite line: "Now Dick had heard of the great city of London. It was said that the people who lived there were all fine gentlemen and ladies, and that there was singing and music all day long, and that the streets were paved with gold."

Favorite illustration: Dick's imagined view of London at the beginning of the story.

Kid-appeal: I think it's too wordy, and not eye-catching enough to help pull kids through this long book.

Taylor Machado
Dick Whittington and His Cat is a cute folk tale about a poor boy who buys a cat to get rid of mice. The cat changes the boys life, the boy sells his cat to a king who gives him a great fortune for the cat. In the end of this story Dick marries a girl named Alice and becomes a lord. I liked this book but I was sad to see that Dick and his cat parted ways.
Paul
The linocuts Brown uses to illustrate this well-known British story capture well the feel of a medieval story. Like Puss In Boots, the cat proves to be the step-up needed by the boy who has little chance on his own, although in this case, the cat is merchandise rather than a shrewd assistant.
Matt Guendel
this was a pretty good book I thought the pictures could of been better for kids. Its a good story rags to riches story about a poor boy who becomes a lord thanks the the help of his cat that has crazy abilities. Its a pretty fast read. All in all it was one of the better picture books I read
Robert
A meandering and convoluted story that doesn't really seem at all worthwhile in the end. Marcia Brown's illustrations are, as always, lively and creative with charming details. But the story itself is not at all interesting and the ending simply fell flat.
Cheryl in CC NV
May 25, 2012 Cheryl in CC NV marked it as library-to-read
Recommended to Cheryl in CC NV by: Lisa Vegan
recommended by Lisa Vegan, and Gundula, indirectly, for Marcia Brown's ability to retell folk tales with clarity and warmth (iiuc)

no CC but plenty ILL
Molly
This is an English folk tale about a boy who gets a cat that brings him fame and fortune. It was a nice story with good pictures.
Fatty
From boring minor historical figure to pantomime to charming children's tale. The linocut illustrations were lovely.
Lafcadio
An old folktale, with lovely linoleum cuts for illustrations. Much better than the Margaret Hodges version.
Bree
Notes:
longer book -- use for 8+
didn't love the ending
pictures were unique and interesting
Mckinley
The aid cats can give. (The more realistic version of puss in boots?).
Caldecott honor
Melana
A English folk tale and beautiful linoleum cut print illustrarions by Marcia Brown.
Denicemarcell
A refresher read before going to see the panto Dick McWhittington in Glasgow.
Laura5
The part I liked best was imagining creating the lino cut illustrations.
Leila T.
A bit much for my 3-y-o, but she listened along to the whole thing.
Brindi
1951 Caldecott Honor
Sarah Sammis
Read it via BookCrossing.
Samspade
Samspade marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
  • Anatole and the Cat
  • The Storm Book
  • Journey Cake, Ho!
  • When Clay Sings
  • In the Forest
  • Alphabatics
  • Fly High, Fly Low (50th Anniversary ed.)
  • Thy Friend, Obadiah
  • The Emperor and the Kite
  • Mice Twice
  • Song of the Swallows
  • Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky
Marcia Brown has won the Caldecott Medal three times, the only person to do so until David Wiesner in 2007. She is also the winner of the 1977 Regina Medal, a six-time recipent of the Caldecott Honor, and the winner of the 1992 Laura Ingalls Wilder Medal for her lifetime body of work in children's literature.

Brown continues to paint in her studio in California, now focusing on Chinese art instead...more
More about Marcia Brown...
Stone Soup Once a Mouse... Cinderella Puss in Boots Skipper John's Cook