Every Step You Take

Every Step You Take

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In June 2005 Jock Soto, at forty years old, gave his farewell performance as a principal dancer with the New York City Ballet. The program, an event of unprecedented ambition, showcased pieces from five legendary choreographers, and it capped one of the most storied careers in ballet history—an ascent that be­gan when Soto was just three years old. After retiring, Soto was...more
Published October 4th 2011 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Every Step You Take, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Step You Take

V. Briceland
Reading dancer Jock Soto's memoir is a bit like skipping dinner for a supper of circulating tiny hors d'oeuvres at a swank cocktail party—there are plenty of tasty morsels, though nothing really fills you up.

The book is initially narrated as if it's a memoir about a mixed-heritage gay man's relationship with his mother . . . but it's not, really, though it's obvious her passing affected him deeply. It should perhaps have been a comprehensive look at Soto's career as principal dancer within the N...more
Laura de Leon

He's got a very interesting history, and I liked the glimpse into the life of this gay ballet dancer of Navajo/Puerto Rican heritage.

He actually lived in the Phoenix area around the same time I did, and he lived a similarly middle-class life at the time. There the similarities between our paths ends.

Even more than his talent (which I hear about indirectly in the book, but I don't really see, since it is hard to get the true nature of dance through the written word), I am awed by his d...more
Lisa
Every Step You Take: A Memoir is a look back for Jock Soto at his family and his career, sorting through the influences that made him a unique figure in the ballet world. The writing took great courage, as some of his family history must have been hard to face — some unpleasant truths about his father, in particular, and his mother’s family. He has an amazing life story, a story that I don’t think could even happen today, and his telling of it is quite humble.

Jock got interested in ballet at the...more
Eva Stachniak
Jock Soto writes most beautifully about dancing and its importance for him. This is a story of his career, his growth as a dancer and the ballet knowledge he had learned on the way.

A fascinating read for anyone interested in ballet.
Margot
The problem with most of the ballet books written by dancers is that... They are dancers, not writers (even when they get help with the writing). That being said if you start reading knowing this, your expectations will be about information and maybe reflexion, not about style.

Soto has a very interesting and different story to tell. His ethnicity plays a big role in the story and it's interesting. Also, you an read this book even if you don't know about ballet, Balanchine or the New York City Ba...more
C. Purtill
4.5 stars, actually, the extra 1/2 for being a very quick read. Most memoirs I have to slog through but this was fun and sweet and Soto is so humble for all of the many gifts he was given. I would recommend this book to dancers and dance aficionados, for sure, all of whom would love a glimpse into the world of City Ballet.
Katrina
This was a quick read and moderately interesting memoir. The best part was the recipes Soto included. Soto was an incredible dancer.
Luminalsl
Luminalsl marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Ashlee
Ashlee marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Juliet
Juliet marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Victoria Elisha
Victoria Elisha marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Daga
Daga marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Violet Clouds
Violet Clouds marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
K
K marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Melissane
Melissane marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Marie-Élise
Marie-Élise marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Marcelle
Marcelle marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
Jebbyjr
Jebbyjr marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013