Start by marking “The Undertaker's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Undertaker's Daughter

The Undertaker's Daughter

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  62 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
“Poems that stick with you like a song that won’t stop repeating itself in your brain, poems whose cadences burrow into your bloodstream, orchestrating your breathing long before their sense attaches its hooks to your heart.”
—Washington Post on Captivity
Published October 24th 2011 by University of Pittsburgh Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Undertaker's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Undertaker's Daughter

Leonard
Feb 14, 2012 Leonard rated it it was amazing
I didn't particularly like a few of the poems in here, especially the ones about Telly, the poet's fish which perhaps were intended it be a kind of release from the more serious poetry that precedes and follows them.

But there are very worthwhile poems in here, many of them written in prose, poems about suffering, about the misue of power, and about surviving. Here are a few examples.

"Many abused children never love again, never trust. Their hands pass it down to their children. The body holds me
Milo
Dec 30, 2015 Milo rated it really liked it
"Is it possible to change everything that has happened by looking at the past in a different way? Not denying anything but, perhaps, inserting some detail that pries open the heart so that more light floods out of it?"
- from "The undertaking"
Nancy
Jan 17, 2016 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Like you are there. Toi gives us the complicated blooming truth. I keep feeling my hair being pulled up so that I stand up.
Naomi
Jan 03, 2014 Naomi rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Tough and tender poems about family violence and resistance and the choices we make and have. Autobiographical poetry; may be healing and may also be a trigger for those who have experienced domestic violence. Fine work, and looking forward to more.
Martha
Jul 24, 2012 Martha rated it really liked it
I had the privilege of hearing this talented poet read/sing her poetry last fall. This is a very good book, which I may have appreciated mor because I also have father issues...I especially love the last poem in the book, a poem about poetry.
Katharine Holden
Apr 27, 2012 Katharine Holden rated it did not like it
Ugly stuff that seems more like memories jotted down for a therapist than poetry.
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Brian Fanelli
Brian Fanelli rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Kayla Berkey
Kayla Berkey rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Cadence Pentheny
Cadence Pentheny marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Noah
Noah marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Adrienne Hill
Adrienne Hill marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Tzviya
Tzviya marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Catherine Kyle
Catherine Kyle rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2015
Evan
Evan added it
Nov 18, 2015
Adam
Adam rated it did not like it
Nov 02, 2015
William
William rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Heloise Cambonie
Heloise Cambonie marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
John Hadlock
John Hadlock rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2015
K Fray
K Fray marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Eileen Rush
Eileen Rush rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Maya
Maya rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Aviva
Aviva marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Diana
Diana added it
May 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Toi Derricotte is the author of The Undertaker’s Daughter (University of Pittsburgh Press, 2011) and four earlier collections of poetry, including Tender, winner of the 1998 Paterson Poetry Prize. Her literary memoir, The Black Notebooks (W.W. Norton), received the 1998 Anisfield-Wolf Book Award for Non-Fiction and was a New York Times Notable Book of the Year. Her honors include, among many other ...more
More about Toi Derricotte...