Start by marking “The Undertaker's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Undertaker's Daughter

The Undertaker's Daughter

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  4 reviews
“Poems that stick with you like a song that won’t stop repeating itself in your brain, poems whose cadences burrow into your bloodstream, orchestrating your breathing long before their sense attaches its hooks to your heart.”
—Washington Post on Captivity
Published October 24th 2011 by University of Pittsburgh Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Undertaker's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Undertaker's Daughter

Leonard
I didn't particularly like a few of the poems in here, especially the ones about Telly, the poet's fish which perhaps were intended it be a kind of release from the more serious poetry that precedes and follows them.

But there are very worthwhile poems in here, many of them written in prose, poems about suffering, about the misue of power, and about surviving. Here are a few examples.

"Many abused children never love again, never trust. Their hands pass it down to their children. The body holds me
Naomi
Tough and tender poems about family violence and resistance and the choices we make and have. Autobiographical poetry; may be healing and may also be a trigger for those who have experienced domestic violence. Fine work, and looking forward to more.
Martha
I had the privilege of hearing this talented poet read/sing her poetry last fall. This is a very good book, which I may have appreciated mor because I also have father issues...I especially love the last poem in the book, a poem about poetry.
Katharine Holden
Ugly stuff that seems more like memories jotted down for a therapist than poetry.
K Fray
K Fray marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Maya
Maya is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2015
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Aviva
Aviva marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Diana
Diana added it
May 02, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Yasmin
Yasmin marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Chaneli
Chaneli marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Heather Gibson
Heather Gibson marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Timothy Hall
Timothy Hall marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Liz
Liz added it
Nov 04, 2014
Nancy Free
Nancy Free marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Black Notebooks: An Interior Journey Tender Natural Birth Gathering Ground: A Reader Celebrating Cave Canem's First Decade Captivity