Start by marking “The Swordswoman” as Want to Read:
The Swordswoman

The Swordswoman

Kendo is a thing of the spirit, or so Erin Wyler thought of the ancient art of Japanese sword fighting--until the day in the fencing hall when her bamboo sword was transformed into a supernatural steel blade and her sparring partner became a loathsome demon. Suddenly kendo had become a thing of madness.
Published March 1982 by Tor Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Swordswoman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Swordswoman

Terence
Jun 04, 2008 Terence rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I finished reading my battered Science Fiction Book Club edition of The Swordswoman for the umpteenth time last night and thought to put down some thoughts on why this book garners four stars. I first read the book as a teen, during a time when I was discovering a number of female authors and strong female characters (including C.J. Cherryh and Phyllis Ann Karr to name two) and I was taken with Salmonson's character Erin of Thar.

The story concerns Erin Wyler, a young Earth woman who's dreamt of
Alexandra
This was bad. I wanted to give it only one star, but decided on two (1.5, really) because it became bearable.

This book was hard to follow. It liked to jump from one thing to another. It was written in a weird, confusing way where the reader didn't know anything but the main character just figured things out and the reader was never informed of HOW the main character came to these knew what to do. It is written almost like a sequel, but it isn't.

There was so much wrong with this book that I can't
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Jun 07, 2011 Jayaprakash Satyamurthy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Hews a bit closer to the standard 'hero's journey' story arc than I like, but investigates ethical implications with a thoroughness far beyond the average heroic fantasy. I liked this book, but thought 'Tomoe Gozen' was superior.
Libby
May 05, 2012 Libby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
So, I started this book with a pretty biased outlook. Jessica is part of my family and she is among my favorite people. However, I had no idea she was a published author until we became "friends" on Facebook. Heh.
Anyway, I found this book and have done my best to read it as objectively as I could. To be blunt, I loved the story. But, I want more. I suppose that is the sign of a pretty decent story. I can see myself reading this a few more times in the future. And creating a million different a
Ralph Carlson
Jun 12, 2016 Ralph Carlson rated it really liked it
I thought that I had read this book many years ago, but maybe hadn't, as reading it now I didn't remember a single thing about it. This is normally not the kind of book Iike, but do like Salmonson's writings so read it and liked it immensely.
Jon
Aug 27, 2008 Jon rated it really liked it
I read this a long time ago, but I remember really liking it. I may have to dig is out and reread it to see if my memory is doing it justice. I do recall being surprised at the main character being a woman and trained fighter, that was very cool to see.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 15, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it liked it
Pretty standard coming of age story. Girl goes to a reclusive old legendary swordsman and asks to be taught the way of the sword so as to be able to seek revenge. Recommended
David
This was an entertaining book, but Salmonson's Tomoe Gozen trilogy is much, much better.
Joyce Reynolds-Ward
One of the oldies featuring a strong female character. It's a portal fantasy with an interesting framing device; okay story but unsatisfying for me to some extent (tastes will differ).
Sean Duggan
Jul 12, 2016 Sean Duggan rated it really liked it
I read this one at a fairly early age, so my memories are clouded. Still, I remember enjoying the book greatly.
Bob
Bob rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2009
M.E. Logan
M.E. Logan rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Bas
Bas rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2011
Sally
Sally rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2012
Lloyd
Lloyd rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2009
Ran
Ran rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2011
Bethanne
Bethanne rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Rhea Raptou
Rhea Raptou rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2013
keres
keres rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Billy Rodriguez
Billy Rodriguez rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2015
Emily Beebe
Emily Beebe rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2012
Michelle Ciriacruz
Michelle Ciriacruz rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2014
Geoffrey
Geoffrey rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2010
AMD
AMD rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2011
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2012
Renuka
Renuka rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2009
Jack
Jack rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2010
Michael Goldman
Michael Goldman rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

“Of justice you will find none.... To judge is evil. To mete justice, more appalling still. Act from compassion and you will do better than to devise any code or facade of justice.” 6 likes
“No one must ever fancy another human being so much more evil than themselves that killing was justified.” 2 likes