Swordswoman

Swordswoman

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Published March 1982 by Tor Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Swordswoman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swordswoman

Terence
I finished reading my battered Science Fiction Book Club edition of The Swordswoman for the umpteenth time last night and thought to put down some thoughts on why this book garners four stars. I first read the book as a teen, during a time when I was discovering a number of female authors and strong female characters (including C.J. Cherryh and Phyllis Ann Karr to name two) and I was taken with Salmonson's character Erin of Thar.

The story concerns Erin Wyler, a young Earth woman who's dreamt of...more
Alexandra
This was bad. I wanted to give it only one star, but decided on two (1.5, really) because it became bearable.

This book was hard to follow. It liked to jump from one thing to another. It was written in a weird, confusing way where the reader didn't know anything but the main character just figured things out and the reader was never informed of HOW the main character came to these knew what to do. It is written almost like a sequel, but it isn't.

There was so much wrong with this book that I can't...more
Norm Davis
Feb 22, 2014 Norm Davis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Science Fiction & Fantasy Fans
Recommended to Norm by: Mike Fales

The Swordswoman, Jessica Amanda Salmonson, Del Rey 1982, FIVE STARS

The first time I read this book was a little more than 30 years ago. Being nostalgic recently I recalled some books that still have a hold on me today. This book was one of them. I so desperately wished Jessica would write more Endsworld novels back then. Lots more. She never did.

Now, today, after reading this book a second time I think Erin of Thar (two swords) deserved to be written about in at least as many books as Edgar Ric...more
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Hews a bit closer to the standard 'hero's journey' story arc than I like, but investigates ethical implications with a thoroughness far beyond the average heroic fantasy. I liked this book, but thought 'Tomoe Gozen' was superior.
Libby
So, I started this book with a pretty biased outlook. Jessica is part of my family and she is among my favorite people. However, I had no idea she was a published author until we became "friends" on Facebook. Heh.
Anyway, I found this book and have done my best to read it as objectively as I could. To be blunt, I loved the story. But, I want more. I suppose that is the sign of a pretty decent story. I can see myself reading this a few more times in the future. And creating a million different a...more
Jon
I read this a long time ago, but I remember really liking it. I may have to dig is out and reread it to see if my memory is doing it justice. I do recall being surprised at the main character being a woman and trained fighter, that was very cool to see.
David
This was an entertaining book, but Salmonson's Tomoe Gozen trilogy is much, much better.
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Kaila
Kaila marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Twl Newtown
Twl Newtown marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Joe
Joe added it
Aug 07, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Jill D
Jill D added it
May 07, 2014
Corrine
Corrine marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Konrad
Konrad marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Sean Welch
Sean Welch marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Mar 22, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Ellie Red
Ellie Red marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Tomoe Gozen The Golden Naginata (Tomoe Gozen, #2) Amazons! Thousand Shrine Warrior (Tomoe Gozen, #3) Anthony Shriek

“Of justice you will find none.... To judge is evil. To mete justice, more appalling still. Act from compassion and you will do better than to devise any code or facade of justice.” 4 likes
“No one must ever fancy another human being so much more evil than themselves that killing was justified.” 1 likes