Myth-Ion Improbable

Myth-Ion Improbable (Myth Adventures #11)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  1,783 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Skeeve is feeling rather restless and suddenly remembers the treasure map he bought on his last adventure. Knowing Aahz's lust for money, he shows him the map. Quicker than a Deveel at the Bazaar of Deva can take your possessions, they were off to find the Golden Cow! There were a few problems, aren't there always. Tanda decides that she is in on the hunt; for a share, of...more
Paperback
Published November 10th 2004 by Meisha Merlin Publishing, Inc. (first published 2001)

Patrick
So somehow I just found out that the writer of this series I was really into in sixth grade started writing the books again, so I had to check it out. It revolved around a young magician's apprentice named Skeeve, and his mentor, a demon named Aahz, and their "myth-adventures." Back then, I had found a few of the books left on the shelves in the room I used to share with my brother, and was totally into the series, the genre of which I guess would be considered "fantasy-comedy," bordering on sat...more
melydia
It's been at least a decade since I last read any of the Mythadventures books. Luckily, I've read the series at least twice (probably three times) so reading this book was like getting reacquainted with old friends, especially since it takes place between books three and four (there are twelve total). Here's the plot in a nutshell: our hero Skeeve, his grumpy mentor Aahz, and their lovely ex-assassin friend Tananda find a treasure map that leads them to a dimension of vegetarian cowboys who fear...more
Spigana
Sākumā biju ļoti vīlusies par to, ka šī grāmata hronoloģiski neseko 10. grāmatai, jo mani ļoti interesē, kas tad īsti notika ar Glīpu, bet vispār Asprinam šī vairāku gadu atpūta no mītu sērijas ir nākusi krietni par labu.
Šīs grāmatas notikumi risinās starp trešo un ceturto grāmatu- Skīvs vēl ir Āza māceklis un Posiltas galma burvis.
Šinī grāmatā Asprins beidzot ir atgriezies pie aktīva un raita sižeta un beidzot aktīvi tiek pielietota arī maģija, kas man pietrūka iepriekšējās grāmatās. Īsti neva...more
April Brown
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Twelve and up. While ten to twelve might enjoy it, there are many ideas they will not understand. Though, they will certainly get many of the jokes.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Fantasy, alternate dimensions.

Written approximately? – 2001.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author...more
Tom Loock
Re-read in December 2013. Myth-ion Improbable is .. the first disappointment in this re-reading MYTH-marathon. The basic idea regarding cows & vampires is very funny, but the story is repetitive, both Aahz and Tanda do not contribute to the adventure and are mere mirror images of themselves; (at least the second part of) the book reads like a weak D&D-adventure.

Apparently Robert Lynn Asprin took (had to take?) a long break before this one and it shows. 'Myth-ion Improbable' does not read...more
Jessica
I couldn't do it. I know that Asprin threw this book out to his Myth fans in an attempt to recapture the voice of Skeeve and Aahz in the beginning of the series, but this just didn't do it.

The story was whack. The plot was confusing and ridiculous. Tanda was half a step above a body-length pillow, and Aahz was just downright mean. Skeeve was - well, he was Skeeve, without all the witty dialogue and insightful questions.

It's so sad, but I think the voice of Skeeve and Aahz, the ones that I fell i...more
Ints
Vai grāmatu ir vērts lasīt? Ja neesi izlasījis visas iepriekšējās, tad patiešām nav jēgas. Kvalitāte nav uzlabojusies un lasot šo grāmatu kā pirmo var tikai sevi atbaidīt no sērijas. Visādi citādi, ātri izlasāma un vietām smieklīga grāmata. Galvenais iesmiešanas temats ir veģetārieši, kovboji, govis, gani un ganāmpulks. Nekad jau nevar īsti zināt, kurš ir noteicējs. Pasaules iekārtojums robežojas ar absurdu, bet ko ar tām maģiskajām dimensijām var zināt. Vienīgā mācība, kas paliek atmiņā ir – ar...more
Matthew Green
No. Sorry. Bad. Wrong.
Did not enjoy this. I find the rest of the series (at least the first 9 books) kind of silly and absurd and not great reading in any way, but amusing enough. This, on the other hand, was not up to par. I understand that Asprin was coming off of personal difficulties and hadn't written these characters in numerous years, but his characterizations were very off, and the light-heartedness that was present in the preceding books was simply gone. The beginning was somewhat redun...more
Mars
the early books of the MYTH Adventures were very awesome, the later ones were ok, and i've been put off for quite a while by the hideousness that was Sweet MYTH-tery of Life, but then stumbled upon this thing and decided to give it a try.
much like the series, the first three quarters or so of the book are pretty good, but then it starts getting repetitive and just not very interesting.

(the big surprise ending was only "unexpected" because I genuinely hoped he'd not do something that... i suppose...more
Elizabeth
J
I don’t typically like it when an author decides to go back and fill some gap between previous volumes in a series. It’s hard to keep track of. However, with Myth-ion Improbable, Asprin goes back to the era I like best, when Aahz and Skeeve were a little more footloose and fancy free and not the owners of a business. This chapter of their history is really nutty with all kinds of cowboys, cows and supernatural shenanigans. It’s a real return to form for Asprin and fun to read.

I look forward to s...more
Jess
I started the Myth-ion series with the first book, and have hopped around ever since as I run across them. I got this one through bookswim, and was pleased as usual that even though I'm not reading the books in the order written, as usual it doesn't matter. The way Robert writes the novels it's easy to start anywhere in the series, and still enjoy yourself immensely throughout the whole ride. This book had me chuckling and enjoying myself the whole while.
Ross
Nov 15, 2008 Ross rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: die-hard Myth fans
Shelves: ebooks, fantasy, fiction, 2008
Book 11, but takes place in between books 3 and 4, timeline-wise. Asprin was trying to recapture the old feel of the previous Myth novels, but it lacks some of the spark that the original three do. The characters keep it moving, along with an interesting take on cowboys and vampires, but it still isn't quite as good as the others. Recommended only for die-hard Myth fans.
Kerry
I loved the Myth Adventures books in high school, and I picked this up at a booksale unaware he'd started doing them again (writer's block and IRS problems stopped him). A light caper, not as funny as I remember, but it's been a while since I've read any of them. Still better than the Phule series. He's put out 6 more, so I'll check some of them out too.
Rachel
Until I read the intro at the front of this book I didn't realize it was written to fit in between books three and four. I really enjoyed it as the story and characters were more like the beginning of the series then later on. It also had a fun little twist at the end that I hadn't expected.
Gina
Quick light read. Was really disappointed that it was a story from Skeeve's & Azh's early days & didn't mention what happened to Gleep at the end of the previous book. But I like the young, naive Skeeve a lot & it was nice to hear that voice again.
Shannon Appelcline
An interesting story, well told. The actual setup, when you finally get there, is a bit silly, and I felt like the characterization was a bit off for the time period, but those are relatively minor quibbles.
Thes
Tenhle díl je i na můj vkus hodně... Zvláštní. Chápu, že se autor po pár letech nepsaní potřeboval zase dostat zpět do svojí formy, ale tahle knížka je úlet. Vážně. Nicméně pobavila jsem se. ^^
Nighteye
Sep 20, 2013 Nighteye rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nighteye by: Comic fantasy readers...
Shelves: favorites
Good old Robert Asprin, another funny, interesting and strange novel from the crazy Myth-series were everything can happend, vampirecows and the wild vest combined and a golden cow?
Tomthedog
The eight year break between books seems to have done the author some good, as the previous book was garbage while this is one of the most entertaining in the series.
Eric
Not a bad read - very simple. Not really up to the standards of the earlier books in the series. Ending is a bit disappointing too as it was just too obvious.
Walt
The eleventh myth book is by far my favorite. Although there is little humor, the plot line is so original and clever that I still am amazed with it.
Richard Kelly
Wow, what fun. Finally a return to the fun part of the series that was not lost in too many character or plot twists. Fun fun fun!
David Holec
Nějak jsem se prostě nemohl začíst. Mělo to své světlé chvilky, ale spíše byla tma. Tenhle styl psaní mě vůbec nebere a šlo to znát.
Paul
After a long absence Asprin tries to get back into the groove. It's OK but nowhere near as good as they were.
Kim
Aug 13, 2008 Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: MYTH addicts
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
A kick for anyone who was into the series, but it still sort of misses something from the previous stories.
Fatbaldguy60
Not bad, nothing special. I think this was the point that I gave up on this series.
Tracey
I'd read all the previous Myth books and I do get a kick out of Aahz.
Mark
Loved this entire series. a nice mix of comedy and science fantasy.
Rob
A search for the golden Cow or was that the vampiric golden cow?
  • Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)
  • Ripping Time (Time Scout, #3)
  • The Wizardry Quested (Wiz, #5)
  • Air Apparent (Xanth, #31)
  • An Excess of Enchantments (The Ballad of Wuntvor, #2)
  • Escape Velocity (Warlock Series, #0)
  • The Paths of the Perambulator (Spellsinger, #5)
  • The Blood of Ten Chiefs (The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #1)
  • Thraxas (Thraxas, #1-2)
  • Lady Slings the Booze (Lady Sally's, #2: Callahan's Series, #5)
  • A Bad Spell in Yurt (Daimbert #1)
  • Deadly Quicksilver Lies (Garrett Files, #7)
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho...more
More about Robert Lynn Asprin...
Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1) Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2) Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3) Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4) Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1)

“Don't pick up hitchhikers!"- D. Adams” 7 likes