Start by marking “Rhinegold” as Want to Read:

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  292 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Set in the sensuous & exuberant world of North European myth & saga, this epic of heroism & betrayal, incest & tragedy breathes life into an age of unequaled grandeur, bringing intimacy & poignancy to the tumult of legend.
Mass Market Paperback, 830 pages
Published February 1st 1995 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Rhinegold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rhinegold

The Prose Edda by Snorri SturlusonThe Sagas of Icelanders by Jane SmileyBeowulf by UnknownThe Poetic Edda by AnonymousThe Saga of the Volsungs by Anonymous
Top Books on Germanic Paganism
25th out of 106 books — 30 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffThe Dragon God by Brae WyckoffThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienPeter of Dwarven Stone by T.J. Dixon
38th out of 68 books — 87 voters

More lists with this book...

I read this for the first time in the early ninties, I think, and I remember being very fond of it, so I gave it a reread. It's a very compelling story, lots of action, love, drama, seduction, betrayal and what not - it is epic, it really is. And Grundy tells the story in such a nice, flawless way that you can't help it but have to read on. Basically, this book has it all - and it's actually a 5-star-read.

However, I can give it 4 stars only because of the German translation. I never noticed it
This is a VERY long book. It's over 800 pages in about size 10 font for the paperback version. In fairness, it was originally meant to be three seperate novels that were all crammed into one. If you have any interest in Norse mythology, particularly the legend of Sigurd, I highly recommend this book. It covers the legend from beginning to end and really makes the characters come alive.
This is dense and fascinating book. It offers a fictionalized yet entirely possible view of the legend of Sigifrith the Volsung and the Ring of the Nibelung. It is not an easy read by any means but once I finished the book I was glad I did. Grundy researched this legend and the history of the time and created a compelling, complex and captivating tale.
Herausragendes Frühmittelalterepos

Stephan Grundy ist ein wunderbares Werk gelungen. Er hat es perfekt geschafft, die Gratwanderung zwischen Phantasyroman und Quellentreue zu bestehen. Aus einem sehr tiefen Verständnis der ursprünglichen Quellen beschreibt er die Geschichte rund um das Rheingold - also wie es zu dem Drachen kam, wie es zu Sigfrid kam und wie es den Burgundern Unglück brachte. Von einem historischen Roman unterscheidet er sich insofern, als er die nordische Götterwelt immer mitwir
Rhinegold is one of those epic books that you wait to tackle until you have the energy and the time for a major project. The book gets off to a very slow start, slowly building up background information for a couple hundred pages, until Grundy introduces the main characters and the book starts to feel more like a novel than a history book reciting a litany of Norse myths.

The book takes its material from the Norse Volsunga Saga, The Ring of the Nibelung and the Eddas. We've seen the same story in
First, I need to be fair and state that I'm not a fan of Germanic/Norse mythology. Rhinegold hasn't changed that. I was hoping to find a compelling story that brought these myths to life, but that's not what I found here. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with Grundy's prose, the book was a fine read. It's just that the characters weren't brought to life, their motivations remained hazy and the justifications for their actions not real to me.

The Norse gods are cruel and capricious, creating h
Good retelling of the Ring cycles. Grundy brings some fresh views to it as well.
Tiffany Robbins
I can't quite give this three stars. There were parts that I really liked and others that I had to skim, so it fell into "OK" territory for me. Something I look for (read enjoy) in mythology-based novels is character motivations I can get behind or at least sympathize with. However, I wasn't able to care or root for any of the characters who had a viewpoint in this saga. I know Grundy had to stick as closely as possible to his source material, but since I've never been a fan (not opposed to it; ...more
An excellent retelling of the Sigurð mythos (perhaps better known as Wagner's "Ring Cycle") by a scholar in the field. This book is actually three full novels published as one: each covers different generations of the Wälsungs, descendants of Wotan; the Burgunds, their sometimes allies/ sometimes enemies; and the race of Nibelungs and their stolen hoard of gold. The 3rd book even includes the story of the families' later connections with Attila. Wonderful details about ancient cultures and custo ...more
Lorelei Lee
Vielleicht mein Lieblingsroman basierend auf der Edda-Version der Nibelungensage.
Ich habe dieses Buch sehr genossen. Ich liebe die germanischen heldensagen welche sich mit Göttern, mythologie und sogar Geschichte vermischt haben. Es sind Einflüsse aus dem Norden aber auch aus den Süden und deckt daher die gesamte germanische welt ab. Ein grandioser Epos. Man muss sich ein wenig einlesen und darf die geduld nicht verlieren. Dann wird es zu einem tollen leseerlebnis. Ein stern weniger für den mühsamen start der doch etwas zäh war. Danach sind die nibelungen einfach nur atember ...more
I've started it countless least 5 that I can think of. Never finished it. It seems like it should be a really good book. I think that I will really love it if I can ever get past the first hundred pages or so. Alas, it will continue to sit on my shelves with last try's bookmark still in it.
I liked Attila's Treasure far better than this book even though this filled in quite a few details I needed.
While very well written and researched, it was too long and often got bogged down in the little things.
Apr 09, 2008 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Julie by: Bryon
Shelves: fantasy
Bryon lovvvvves this book, and he got me to read it too. There's a deep story to it and it is mostly based on Wagner's Ring Cycle. I did enjoy it although I think I prefer my books a little lighter in tone.
I seldom read a book more than once. Rheingold is a rare exception. This retelling of the Norse tale is exceptionally good. It is superb background material for any Tolkein or mythology fans.
Novelization of Wagner's Ring Cycle. Well done adaptation of a mythic saga.
Golden sunlight glittered from the Rhine's depths like a fire in the flood, brightening the dark waters into the torchlit grandeur of a river-king's hall.

In complete contrast to my other current reads - a palate cleanser. The picture is right but mine is in English (Rhinegold) and a hardcover.

This is a biggy so I had better keep track of characters as they come along...
Sigifrith - blacksmith and apprentice
Ragin - dwarf teacher and foster-father to Sigifrith
King Alapercht - instructs Ragin to tea
Chuck Bohannon
Germanic Mythology filled with Shakespearean tragedy.
Benjamin Thomas
Just couldn't get into it...
Brooklyn marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
WhiteHeather marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
  • The Wolf and the Raven (Wodan's Children #1)
  • Hagen von Tronje
  • The Light Bearer
  • Pride of Kings
  • Das Spiel der Könige (Waringham, #3)
  • Odin's Island
  • In the Shadow of the Oak King (Dragon's Heirs, #1)
  • The Golden Fleece
  • The Mabinogion Tetralogy
  • The Forest Of Hours
  • Red Branch
  • Breaking News
  • The Downfall of the Gods - Ragnarok
Dr. Stephan Grundy (born 1967 in New York, U.S.) is an American author. Being versed in particularly the Germanic mythology and cultural history, Grundy is known best for his modern adaptations of legendary sagas. Some of his work is published under the pseudonym Kveldulf Gundarsson.
More about Stephan Grundy...
Attila's Treasure Gilgamesh Beowulf Adler und Falke (Falcon Dreams, #1) The Cult of Odinn: God of Death?