Rhinegold

Rhinegold

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Set in the sensuous & exuberant world of North European myth & saga, this epic of heroism & betrayal, incest & tragedy breathes life into an age of unequaled grandeur, bringing intimacy & poignancy to the tumult of legend.
Mass Market Paperback, 830 pages
Published February 1st 1995 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Rhinegold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rhinegold

The Sagas of Icelanders by Jane SmileyThe Prose Edda by Snorri SturlusonThe Poetic Edda by AnonymousThe Saga of the Volsungs by AnonymousBeowulf by Unknown
Top Books on Germanic Paganism
22nd out of 105 books — 25 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffThe Dragon God by Brae WyckoffArrow of the Mist by Christina MercerThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
Dwarves
36th out of 63 books — 68 voters

More lists with this book...

Lennongirl
I read this for the first time in the early ninties, I think, and I remember being very fond of it, so I gave it a reread. It's a very compelling story, lots of action, love, drama, seduction, betrayal and what not - it is epic, it really is. And Grundy tells the story in such a nice, flawless way that you can't help it but have to read on. Basically, this book has it all - and it's actually a 5-star-read.

However, I can give it 4 stars only because of the German translation. I never noticed it...more
Reinhold
Herausragendes Frühmittelalterepos

Stephan Grundy ist ein wunderbares Werk gelungen. Er hat es perfekt geschafft, die Gratwanderung zwischen Phantasyroman und Quellentreue zu bestehen. Aus einem sehr tiefen Verständnis der ursprünglichen Quellen beschreibt er die Geschichte rund um das Rheingold - also wie es zu dem Drachen kam, wie es zu Sigfrid kam und wie es den Burgundern Unglück brachte. Von einem historischen Roman unterscheidet er sich insofern, als er die nordische Götterwelt immer mitwir...more
Sean
Rhinegold is one of those epic books that you wait to tackle until you have the energy and the time for a major project. The book gets off to a very slow start, slowly building up background information for a couple hundred pages, until Grundy introduces the main characters and the book starts to feel more like a novel than a history book reciting a litany of Norse myths.

The book takes its material from the Norse Volsunga Saga, The Ring of the Nibelung and the Eddas. We've seen the same story in...more
Sianeka
First, I need to be fair and state that I'm not a fan of Germanic/Norse mythology. Rhinegold hasn't changed that. I was hoping to find a compelling story that brought these myths to life, but that's not what I found here. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with Grundy's prose, the book was a fine read. It's just that the characters weren't brought to life, their motivations remained hazy and the justifications for their actions not real to me.

The Norse gods are cruel and capricious, creating h...more
Patrice
This is a VERY long book. It's over 800 pages in about size 10 font for the paperback version. In fairness, it was originally meant to be three seperate novels that were all crammed into one. If you have any interest in Norse mythology, particularly the legend of Sigurd, I highly recommend this book. It covers the legend from beginning to end and really makes the characters come alive.
Debbie
This is dense and fascinating book. It offers a fictionalized yet entirely possible view of the legend of Sigifrith the Volsung and the Ring of the Nibelung. It is not an easy read by any means but once I finished the book I was glad I did. Grundy researched this legend and the history of the time and created a compelling, complex and captivating tale.
Tiffany Robbins
Debbie
Marisa
I've started it countless times...at least 5 that I can think of. Never finished it. It seems like it should be a really good book. I think that I will really love it if I can ever get past the first hundred pages or so. Alas, it will continue to sit on my shelves with last try's bookmark still in it.
Dawn
I liked Attila's Treasure far better than this book even though this filled in quite a few details I needed.
While very well written and researched, it was too long and often got bogged down in the little things.
Julie
Apr 09, 2008 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Julie by: Bryon
Shelves: fantasy
Bryon lovvvvves this book, and he got me to read it too. There's a deep story to it and it is mostly based on Wagner's Ring Cycle. I did enjoy it although I think I prefer my books a little lighter in tone.
Rhonda
I seldom read a book more than once. Rheingold is a rare exception. This retelling of the Norse tale is exceptionally good. It is superb background material for any Tolkein or mythology fans.
Chris
Good retelling of the Ring cycles. Grundy brings some fresh views to it as well.
Michele
Novelization of Wagner's Ring Cycle. Well done adaptation of a mythic saga.
☯Bettie☯
Golden sunlight glittered from the Rhine's depths like a fire in the flood, brightening the dark waters into the torchlit grandeur of a river-king's hall.

In complete contrast to my other current reads - a palate cleanser. The picture is right but mine is in English (Rhinegold) and a hardcover.

This is a biggy so I had better keep track of characters as they come along...
Sigifrith - blacksmith and apprentice
Ragin - dwarf teacher and foster-father to Sigifrith
King Alapercht - instructs Ragin to tea...more
Chuck Bohannon
Germanic Mythology filled with Shakespearean tragedy.
Benjamin Thomas
Just couldn't get into it...
Alexander widrow
Alexander widrow marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Daniel Soerensen
Daniel Soerensen marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Niklas
Niklas added it
Sep 07, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Jason Summers
Jason Summers marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Jennes
Jennes marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Kirstin
Kirstin marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Book
Book marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
  • The Wolf and the Raven (Wodan's Children #1)
  • The Light Bearer
  • Das Spiel der Könige (Waringham, #3)
  • Alamut (Alamut, #1)
  • In the Shadow of the Oak King (Dragon's Heirs, #1)
  • Red Branch
  • The Mabinogion Tetralogy
  • Medea (Delphic Women, #1)
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • Das Jesus Video
  • The Prow Beast (Oathsworn, #4)
  • In Pursuit of the Green Lion (Margaret of Ashbury, #2)
  • A Season of Swans (Wild Swan Trilogy, #3)
Dr. Stephan Grundy (born 1967 in New York, U.S.) is an American author. Being versed in particularly the Germanic mythology and cultural history, Grundy is known best for his modern adaptations of legendary sagas. Some of his work is published under the pseudonym Kveldulf Gundarsson.
More about Stephan Grundy...
Attila's Treasure Gilgamesh Beowulf Adler und Falke (Falcon Dreams, #1) Die Nacht des Falken (Falcon Dreams, #3)