Start by marking “Winter Warriors (Drenai Tales, #8)” as Want to Read:
Winter Warriors (Drenai Tales, #8)

Winter Warriors (The Drenai Saga #8)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  3,854 ratings  ·  47 reviews
The prophecy was clear. Upon the death of three kings the world will be plunged into chaos, and all the cast-out demons of history will return to bring blood and horror to the world.

Two of the kings are dead. The third, about to be born, is hunted by the Demon Riders of the Krayakin, Lords of the Undead.

All the terrifying forces of evil range against a pregnant queen at ba
Published October 2nd 1997 by Corgi (first published April 7th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Warriors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Warriors

Amani Bryant
The first contemporary fantasy book I have read that deals heavily with demons without leaving me afraid of the dark. Incredibly well written prose, engaging (I could not put it down), dynamic characters, surprising plotline. This is the first I have read by him, but I'd wager that Gemmel is one of the best when it comes to contemporary fantasy.
D.E.M. Emrys
Two kings are dead – two parts of the prophecy have been fulfilled. The final part, the fate of the third king, rests in the hands of men. Men, who in their prime, stood before the tide of countless battles. But no man had ever stood before a demon.

A queen is hunted by the demons. Though men protect her, they are no longer of their prime. They are not silvered with age, but grey, worn and weary. Three men, heroes of their time. Nogusta the Swordsman, Kebra the Bowman, and Bison the brute.
The ch
Like the majority of David Gemmell's books, I originally read this one when I was a kid. It instantly became one of my favorite Gemmell books behind Legend, Waylander, and a few others. After re-reading this book, however, I have to wonder whether this book may have actually been his masterpiece.

Set a couple centuries past the time of Druss, 3 elderly soldiers are being dismissed from the army due to their age. Meanwhile, a demon is trying to open a gateway between the two worlds. The final step
Que peut faire une bande de veillards quand leur monde est menacé par des démons ? Facile, sauver la reine et botter des culs.
On suit l'histoire de quelques soldats d'un régiment tout entier bon pour la retraite (de l'avis de tout le monde) qui doivent malheureusement sauver leur monde. Cela se fait dans le sang, avec un poil de philosophie, une touche appropriée d'humour et même un peu d'émotion.
A lire donc !!
Dave van der Kuyp
I don't think there is another writer that can bring this amount of vivid adventure into one small book and make it just as epic as if it were a three-book series. Winter Warriors was a delight to read (for the second time). Each character only had so many pages for an introduction, but damn me straight to hell if it wasn't enough to make me believe in them.

For some reason I haven't quite figured out yet Gemmell had the talent of telling stories that would require three or more books from most
Robert Chandler
Just finished this at the recommendation of a friend. This was my first Gemmell book and I really enjoyed it. Great stand alone fantasy novel. While the heroes are fairly archetypical I still found them to have depth and complexity. If you're looking for a good action fantasy read then this book is for you. Looking forward to reading more of Gemmell's work
The best David Gemmell starter book you'll find. A quintessential standalone fantasy novel, and one of the best I've ever read.
Winter Warriors is a standalone epic fantasy from one of the greats of the genre. It forms part of David Gemmell’s collection of Drenai books, so those familiar with these works will recognise some of the lands and histories mentioned, but there’s absolutely no prior knowledge of the other books required in order to read and enjoy this one. Every so often it’s nice to be able to pick up a fantasy novel that’s not part of a trilogy (or more) but that still gives you a compelling story and charact ...more
Now that, my friends, is a book cover. I love great art on the cover of a novel and, in my mind, Winter Warriors certainly falls into that category. If being picky I would have the bird removed but as it has a significance in the story it's fine where it is.
Winter Warriors is the tale of three ageing warriors who are thrust to the forefront of a fight against demonic forces. Those forces, to be unleashed upon the world in all their evil fury, need the sacrificial blood of three kings. The first
This isn't David Gemmell's best book. Perhaps it was a mistake to read this one without having read the preceding Drenai books.

First the good bits: Gemmell describes things well, and his prose is engaging and easy to read. His transitions from one setting to another are very good. I have to admit that I think that there are a few too many fantasy novels with demons in them. But I like the demons in this one (except that the demon characters suffer from the same problem as the human ones).

The pr
Jordan Maywood
Want to hear an idiot review this on his podcast!?

Well I do here:

No Gusta BeyBey King

We (and that's the podcast we) travel once again into the world created by Mr. David Gemmell. A Fitting title for the global warming caused weather freakishness here recently in Canada, I discuss:

Winter Warriors by David Gemmell

One of the later entries in David Gemmell's Drenai series of novels (that started with Legend), set a few centuries(?) after the events of Legend (which - sort of - form a reference point for all his Drenai books).

Perhaps slightly more 'fantastical' (if I can use that word) in nature than his previous Drenai books, with a greater emphasis on magic(k) than I remember than before and with a larger role given to what are commonly known as mythological creatures: in this case, the Demon Riders of th
Toye Ogisi
Tom Wolfem
Not one of his best books, but loved it for what it is. Gemmell has a way of describing the plight of the underdog fighter and the heroic sacrifice in a way that just can't help but affect you. Expect to shed a man-tear or two.
Joshua Simon
3.5 stars. Probably my least favorite book so far in the Drenai Saga, barely edging out Quest for Lost Heroes. There were some good moments, but overall I felt the plot never really came together and the ending was sort of flat for me.

I will say there were some great characters, as usual. However, not enough time was spent with them. For example, Antikas didn't come really get any depth until the very end so his development and importance felt rushed. Nogusta and Kebra were both solid character
Fantasy with a huge heart.
Pits a really great enemy against a struggling team of ageing warriors.
I like this series but the author keeps killing off my favorite characters.
Rory (Nightwyrm)
Yay! For the first time in seven books, finally an original story.
Paul Brown
I really like these. Each book in the series has been good fun.
Iain Kaslar
like all his books a great read although the end could of been a little better
My favourite Gemmell, though I'm a long way from having read his full bibliography. This book has much more magic than earlier books in the Drenai series, and I think it helps. The evil comes across as more malevolent and it increases tension when you realise just how over matched the heroes are. I mean, the heroes are always over matched in Gemmell novels, that's his modus operandi, but they are over matched on a personal level here, not just by pure numbers.
Jun 15, 2007 Nethound rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Probably my second favorite David Gemmell Book after Legend.

Winter Warriors follows the story of three heroes, well past their primes, that must lend their collective prowess to protecting the infant heir to the throne.

A very engaging story with some really good characters. It has much the same theme and feel as Legend, where heroes are shown as being flawed mortal men, and yet made larger than life by their refusal to give up.

Mayank Agarwal
Normally would rate it a 3 but being my least favorite of Drenai Series yet gave it a 2.

Gemmell books are page turner as they are easy to read and the stories are always fast paced. This is no exception where it differs from other Drenai novels are their being much more magic focus and the missing of central awe inspiring figure. Also didn't like the ending with the demons. Felt it made the whole book loose it purpose.
Funny, not warriors fighting during a freezing snow covered landscape dealing with the challenges that extreme elements endure, no, this is about warriors on the winter of their lives. Old boys with swords.

Good though.

I might need to say that any book by Gemmell even though I might rate it a 3 is still better most authors I read. Easy page turners.
Mahdi Mehrnegar
کتاب خوبی بود و جزو بهترین های این مجموعه. داستان و شخصیت ها جدید بودن و حال و هوای تازه ای داشت.
نمیدونم چرا گمل دوست نداره نسلی از قهرمان های کتابش باقی بمونه؟ هیچ کدوم از شخصیت های اصلی کتابها(تا این جلد 8 بچه ندارن!). خوبی کارهاش هم اینه که تا آخر داستان نمیدونی کی زنده میمونه و چه اتفاقی قراره بیافته. همچنان موضوع دفاع تم اصلی داستان هاست.
As always, the last chapter is the one that I am most looking forward to, because the whole story is answered and resolved in it. That is such a skill. I loved the characters - my favourite being Bison and Kebra....honor, and trust, love and's all here. Gemmell is a force to be reckoned with.
Probably more of a 2.5 as it was an enjoyable easy read, it just wasn't anything very new to me and the ending was a bit Mercedes Lackey. I would probably try some more of his books, but I'm not going to be knocking down doors to get to them.
Can you copyright infringe yourself?
In this story - 3 grizzled old warriors have one last quest.
Quest for Lost Heroes - 3 grizzled old warriors have one last quest.

Fantasy Book Club...: * Winter Warriors-Drenai #8 12 24 Aug 17, 2015 08:16PM
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Publish Date [Winter Warriors] 2 17 Mar 25, 2013 12:35PM
  • L'apprenti assassin (L'assassin royal, #1)
  • Shards of a Broken Crown (The Serpentwar Saga, #4)
  • King and Emperor (Hammer and the Cross, #3)
  • A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, #3)
  • The Grand Design (Tyrants and Kings, #2)
  • The Black Raven (The Dragon Mage, #2)
  • Dawnthief (Chronicles of the Raven, #1)
  • The Iron Wars (The Monarchies of God, #3)
  • The Eye of the Hunter (Mithgar, #14)
  • Wit'ch War (The Banned and the Banished, #3)
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel ...more
More about David Gemmell...

The Drenai Saga (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Legend (Drenai Saga, #1)
  • The King Beyond the Gate (Drenai Saga, #2)
  • Waylander (Drenai Saga, #3)
  • Quest for Lost Heroes (Drenai Saga, #4)
  • In the Realm of the Wolf (Drenai Saga, #5)
  • The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (Drenai Saga, #6)
  • The Legend of Deathwalker (Drenai Saga, #7)
  • Hero in the Shadows (Drenai Saga, #9)
  • White Wolf (Drenai Saga, #10) (The Damned, #1)
  • The Swords of Night and Day (Drenai Saga, #11) (The Damned, #2)