Start by marking “Winter Warriors (Drenai Tales, #8)” as Want to Read:
Winter Warriors (Drenai Tales, #8)

Winter Warriors (The Drenai Saga #8)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  3,126 ratings  ·  35 reviews
The prophecy was clear. Upon the death of three kings the world will be plunged into chaos, and all the cast-out demons of history will return to bring blood and horror to the world.

Two of the kings are dead. The third, about to be born, is hunted by the Demon Riders of the Krayakin, Lords of the Undead.

All the terrifying forces of evil range against a pregnant queen at ba
Published October 2nd 1997 by Corgi (first published April 7th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Warriors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Warriors

Jaeyde
The first contemporary fantasy book I have read that deals heavily with demons without leaving me afraid of the dark. Incredibly well written prose, engaging (I could not put it down), dynamic characters, surprising plotline. This is the first I have read by him, but I'd wager that Gemmel is one of the best when it comes to contemporary fantasy.
D.E.M. Emrys
Two kings are dead – two parts of the prophecy have been fulfilled. The final part, the fate of the third king, rests in the hands of men. Men, who in their prime, stood before the tide of countless battles. But no man had ever stood before a demon.

A queen is hunted by the demons. Though men protect her, they are no longer of their prime. They are not silvered with age, but grey, worn and weary. Three men, heroes of their time. Nogusta the Swordsman, Kebra the Bowman, and Bison the brute.
The ch
Max
Like the majority of David Gemmell's books, I originally read this one when I was a kid. It instantly became one of my favorite Gemmell books behind Legend, Waylander, and a few others. After re-reading this book, however, I have to wonder whether this book may have actually been his masterpiece.

Set a couple centuries past the time of Druss, 3 elderly soldiers are being dismissed from the army due to their age. Meanwhile, a demon is trying to open a gateway between the two worlds. The final step
Robert Chandler
Just finished this at the recommendation of a friend. This was my first Gemmell book and I really enjoyed it. Great stand alone fantasy novel. While the heroes are fairly archetypical I still found them to have depth and complexity. If you're looking for a good action fantasy read then this book is for you. Looking forward to reading more of Gemmell's work
BookMarc
Now that, my friends, is a book cover. I love great art on the cover of a novel and, in my mind, Winter Warriors certainly falls into that category. If being picky I would have the bird removed but as it has a significance in the story it's fine where it is.
Winter Warriors is the tale of three ageing warriors who are thrust to the forefront of a fight against demonic forces. Those forces, to be unleashed upon the world in all their evil fury, need the sacrificial blood of three kings. The first
Linda
This isn't David Gemmell's best book. Perhaps it was a mistake to read this one without having read the preceding Drenai books.

First the good bits: Gemmell describes things well, and his prose is engaging and easy to read. His transitions from one setting to another are very good. I have to admit that I think that there are a few too many fantasy novels with demons in them. But I like the demons in this one (except that the demon characters suffer from the same problem as the human ones).

The pr
Jordan Maywood
Want to hear an idiot review this on his podcast!?

Well I do here:

No Gusta BeyBey King

Hello!

We (and that's the podcast we) travel once again into the world created by Mr. David Gemmell. A Fitting title for the global warming caused weather freakishness here recently in Canada, I discuss:

Winter Warriors by David Gemmell

David
One of the later entries in David Gemmell's Drenai series of novels (that started with Legend), set a few centuries(?) after the events of Legend (which - sort of - form a reference point for all his Drenai books).

Perhaps slightly more 'fantastical' (if I can use that word) in nature than his previous Drenai books, with a greater emphasis on magic(k) than I remember than before and with a larger role given to what are commonly known as mythological creatures: in this case, the Demon Riders of th
Kessi
Just love David Gemmell's books. Full of heroic deeds. Of course it is fantasy but in that world the good always overcomes the evil, even at a high cost. I always get emotional as well.
Iceman9t9
Dave van der Kuyp
I don't think there is another writer that can bring this amount of vivid adventure into one small book and make it just as epic as if it were a three-book series. Winter Warriors was a delight to read (for the second time). Each character only had so many pages for an introduction, but damn me straight to hell if it wasn't enough to make me believe in them.

For some reason I haven't quite figured out yet Gemmell had the talent of telling stories that would require three or more books from most
Joshua Simon
3.5 stars. Probably my least favorite book so far in the Drenai Saga, barely edging out Quest for Lost Heroes. There were some good moments, but overall I felt the plot never really came together and the ending was sort of flat for me.

I will say there were some great characters, as usual. However, not enough time was spent with them. For example, Antikas didn't come really get any depth until the very end so his development and importance felt rushed. Nogusta and Kebra were both solid character
Rory (Nightwyrm)
Yay! For the first time in seven books, finally an original story.
Mike
My favourite Gemmell, though I'm a long way from having read his full bibliography. This book has much more magic than earlier books in the Drenai series, and I think it helps. The evil comes across as more malevolent and it increases tension when you realise just how over matched the heroes are. I mean, the heroes are always over matched in Gemmell novels, that's his modus operandi, but they are over matched on a personal level here, not just by pure numbers.
Nethound
Jun 15, 2007 Nethound rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Probably my second favorite David Gemmell Book after Legend.

Winter Warriors follows the story of three heroes, well past their primes, that must lend their collective prowess to protecting the infant heir to the throne.

A very engaging story with some really good characters. It has much the same theme and feel as Legend, where heroes are shown as being flawed mortal men, and yet made larger than life by their refusal to give up.

Mayank Agarwal
Normally would rate it a 3 but being my least favorite of Drenai Series yet gave it a 2.

Gemmell books are page turner as they are easy to read and the stories are always fast paced. This is no exception where it differs from other Drenai novels are their being much more magic focus and the missing of central awe inspiring figure. Also didn't like the ending with the demons. Felt it made the whole book loose it purpose.
Mike
Funny, not warriors fighting during a freezing snow covered landscape dealing with the challenges that extreme elements endure, no, this is about warriors on the winter of their lives. Old boys with swords.

Good though.

I might need to say that any book by Gemmell even though I might rate it a 3 is still better most authors I read. Easy page turners.
Iz
As always, the last chapter is the one that I am most looking forward to, because the whole story is answered and resolved in it. That is such a skill. I loved the characters - my favourite being Bison and Kebra....honor, and trust, love and integrity...it's all here. Gemmell is a force to be reckoned with.
Loz
Probably more of a 2.5 as it was an enjoyable easy read, it just wasn't anything very new to me and the ending was a bit Mercedes Lackey. I would probably try some more of his books, but I'm not going to be knocking down doors to get to them.
Justin
THIS BOOK IS THE EXACT SAME STORY AS QUEST FOR LOST HEROES.
Can you copyright infringe yourself?
In this story - 3 grizzled old warriors have one last quest.
Quest for Lost Heroes - 3 grizzled old warriors have one last quest.

Zuleika
Sep 25, 2007 Zuleika rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a heart.
I just finished this one and really enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as some of David Gemmells' other books though.
Still, I have to admit it was a pretty touching book. If I didn't hate crying, I probably would have. :-)
Jeff Crosby
This is the first Gemmell novel I have read in a decade. Like most of his later works, there is more of an edge and grittiness. However, as I finished the first chapter I was reminded of why I like his books so much.
J.M.
The best David Gemmell starter book you'll find. A quintessential standalone fantasy novel, and one of the best I've ever read.
Emily
Best book I've read in a long time. Very character driven. I loved Bison, despite his brutish nature
Ranjit1george
Same old Gemmel. Old men doing the impossible and "saving" the world from an evil "something".
Emmanuel
The world becomes richer with each addition to the series. This one further in the future.
Donna Barr
Got to say I will read anything from this author but I love his story telling so much.
Charles
More excellent heroic fantasy from Gemmell. The guy just kept getting better and better.
Simon Howard
A brilliant book, that for personal reasons means so much to me! My most read book!!!
Debby Allen
Quest for lost Heroes redux. Still a very good read.
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Publish Date [Winter Warriors] 2 17 Mar 25, 2013 12:35PM
  • King of Foxes (Conclave of Shadows, #2)
  • Wit'ch War (The Banned and the Banished, #3)
  • The Grand Design (Tyrants and Kings, #2)
  • King and Emperor (Hammer and the Cross, #3)
  • Le vaisseau magique (Les aventuriers de la mer, #1)
  • The Black Raven (The Dragon Mage, #2)
  • Black Wizards (Forgotten Realms: The Moonshae Trilogy, #2)
  • The Far Kingdoms (Anteros, #1)
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel ...more
More about David Gemmell...
Legend (Drenai Saga, #1) Waylander (Drenai Saga, #3) Lord of the Silver Bow (Troy, #1) The King Beyond the Gate (Drenai Saga, #2) The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (Drenai Saga, #6)