The White and the Gold: The French Regime in Canada (Canadian History Series, #1)

The White and the Gold: The French Regime in Canada (Canadian History Series #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  3 reviews
This is the fascinating story of the French regime in Canada. Few periods in the history of North America can equal it for romance and color, drama and suspense, great human courage and far-seeing aspiration. Costain, who writes history in the terms of the people who lived it, wrote of this book: "Almost from the first I found myself caught in the spell of these courageous...more
Published August 1st 1954 by Doubleday Books

Elizabeth (Alaska)
Non-fiction isn't my usual fare, but having read Costain before, I was pretty sure this would be OK, which it was. The only reason I gave it just 3 stars is that it doesn't really compare to good fiction (but it's pretty darn good non-fiction!). The first 80 years of Canadian history was a swashbuckling time, full of adventure and plenty of colorful characters. I connected on two fronts: great great grandparents on my maternal line settled first in Canada before the line coming here; this story...more
Dee-ann Lang
I hated Canadian history when I was in high school, but I think I would have been more interested if we'd had this book to read. Living in Montréal, it was interesting to read about so many historical figures who've lent their names to streets, bridges and towns.

I read this on my breaks while I was working, and every time my break ended I'd come back to my desk and tell my co-worker..."Did you know that so-and-so did this?"

I don't understand why it's not a part of every history class in Canada.
Andrés
Heaven prevent me from writing a book as poor as this one. It is racist, deals only in stereotypes, and is completely devoid of meaningful and deep historical analysis. Many passages seem directly lifted out of his sources, an unfortunate habit that passes itself off as analysis. I do not see how my understanding of Québec has increased. Even though relying heavily on Mr Parkman's books, this volume falls dreadfully short of that high standard.
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Claudette Veniez
Claudette Veniez marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Brandon Hebel
Brandon Hebel marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Mary Anne
Mary Anne marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
Gena Bell
Gena Bell marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Gordon
Gordon added it
Nov 16, 2013
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Benny
Benny added it
Nov 06, 2013
Samantha B
Samantha B marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Glen C
Glen C marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Paul Hasbrouck
Paul Hasbrouck marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Luis
Luis marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Lion
Lion marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Missashleynoelle
Missashleynoelle is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2013
Daniel
Daniel is currently reading it
May 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Costain was born in Brantford, Ontario to John Herbert Costain and Mary Schultz. He attended high school there at the Brantford Collegiate Institute. Before graduating from high school he had written four novels, one of which was a 70,000 word romance about Maurice of Nassau, Prince of Orange. These early novels were rejected by publishers.

His first writing success came in 1902 when the Brantford...more
More about Thomas B. Costain...
The Silver Chalice The Black Rose The Last Plantagenets (The Plantagenets, #4) The Conquering Family (The Plantagenets, #1) The Three Edwards (The Plantagenets, #3)