Start by marking “Ride With Me” as Want to Read:
Ride With Me

Ride With Me

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Against a sweeping panorama of England and the Continent--and the muted thunder of far-off war--Thomas B. Costain has etched in the glass of history a moving tale of adventure and enduring love.

Francis Ellery is a young, courageous newspaper editor who publishes scathing broadsides against the rampaging Napoleon. One foggy London night he loses his heart to the beautiful G
Published 1974 by HarperCollins Canada / Mass Market (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Ride With Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ride With Me

Misfit
Set during the Napoleonic Wars, the book is centered around newspaperman Francis (Frank) Ellory. Francis chafes at the restrictions the crown puts to the press, and his outspokenness often gets him in trouble (actually, he ends up in jail for a stint because of it). The other two main characters in the book are exiled Frenchwoman Gabrielle de Salle (who Frank is head over heels in love with) and *Riding Bobby*, Sir Robert Wilson, a highly respected soldier despite his frequent tangles with his s ...more
Buddy read with Dawn, Misfit and Sandi, starting in September 15.

Page 6:
"We've been taught we must remain French in everything, and must particularly in our thoughts. It's hoped we shall be returning home soon."

Page 14:
"I was talking to a group of big men in the government the other day...They agreed that the danger of invasion was over. Nelson ended it for all time in Trafalgar."

Page 39:
"Have you any idea how serious the situation is? Listen to this. Prussia may go against us as well as Russia
Dawn (& Ron)
Buddy read with Laura, Misfit and Sandi set for mid September. Looking forward to my first Costain read!

So I finally get a copy and what does Spats do today, he bites the top right corner, going through all the pages up to chapter 1. What is he trying to tell me, that he really, really likes it or that he hates it, or jealous maybe? He could make it real interesting for me. Hopefully the bookcover holder thingie I use when reading will keep him from chewing it up.
Mark Mitchell
I checked out all the Costain books I could get my hands on during the early '70's, and I found this one in a thrift store for a dime. Having read at least a half dozen of his books by that time, I realized that Costain was a romance writer who used accurate historical settings to couch his stories, so I could tell people I read his stuff to learn the history, when I really loved the romances. "Ride with Me," taking a portion of a song about Sir Robert Wilson, a British cavalry officer/hero duri ...more
Karen
This Canadian born author (1885-1965) is a master of English historican fiction. Pure enjoyment to read, words you have to look up
(barracoon, kinkajou, pulchritude, pelisse) and lots of daring do. One of my all time favortie books is "Tontine". His book "The Silver Chalice" was made into a movie that was Paul Newman's film debut.

This book starts in 1808 and is the story of a newspaper editor/owner in London with an ambitious brother and mother after him and their share of the prosperity of the n
Nicole
I love this book. It is on my regular rota of books I reread after finding it on a shelf at my grandparents house thirty years ago. A sweeping romance that brings the salons of Napoleon's Europe into glimmering relief.
Dona Krueger
I wish there were half stars as a choice because this would receive a 3 1/2. Written in 1944 it's a little cumbersome to read, but did bring to my attention Sir Robert Wilson who was of tremendous importance during the Napolianic war years. Costain approached this novel in much the same way he wrote his historical writing - great depth of research and a historian's love for his point of view.
Cindy
I enjoyed this book but my limited knowledge of the Napoleonic wars and that era limited my ability to really get into it as much. I'm slowly learning more about that time and the significant historical players. I had to do some googling of certain terms that were quite unfamiliar to me. But, I still enjoyed reading it.
Jenalyn C
A historical fiction whose backdrop is the Napoleonic era. Not only is it set in France, but in England, Russia and Spain. Somewhat interesting to me; I don't care for the little emperor. This book was not on the par of the Plantagenet series, I expected more from Thomas Costain.
Maudie
Read this, seemingly, a million years ago and loved it...as I do most Costain books. From the vantage point age has now appointed me, I believe it's time for a reread of his work...it's funny how time alters and enriches understanding and perspective.
Elissa
Good reading and decent action/adventure during the Napoleonic era but romance was frustrating and very worldly.
Gaile
The heroine in this one is quite a flirt!
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Airborne
Airborne marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Gena Bell
Gena Bell marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Robert Kittson
Robert Kittson marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
John Williams
John Williams marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Glorybeafarm
Glorybeafarm marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Mikyla Garrett
Mikyla Garrett marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Jerry Ide
Jerry Ide marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Book IV Russia 9 4 Oct 16, 2012 04:09AM
Book III England, again 11 5 Oct 07, 2012 08:35PM
Book V France 3 3 Oct 05, 2012 12:25PM
Book I England 71 11 Oct 04, 2012 08:50PM
Book II The Peninsula 5 5 Sep 18, 2012 01:34PM
Costain was born in Brantford, Ontario to John Herbert Costain and Mary Schultz. He attended high school there at the Brantford Collegiate Institute. Before graduating from high school he had written four novels, one of which was a 70,000 word romance about Maurice of Nassau, Prince of Orange. These early novels were rejected by publishers.

His first writing success came in 1902 when the Brantford
More about Thomas B. Costain...
The Silver Chalice The Black Rose The Last Plantagenets (The Plantagenets, #4) The Conquering Family (The Plantagenets, #1) The Three Edwards (The Plantagenets, #3)