Start by marking “The Wanton Governess” as Want to Read:
The Wanton Governess

The Wanton Governess

Sussex, 1801

Governess Pompeia Grant thinks pretending to be Sir James Carling's wife as a favor to his sister will be harmless. She is haunted by his rejection of her youthful advances, but she's desperate for a place to stay after losing her last post.

When James unexpectedly returns home from America, she assumes the game is up--until James encourages her to stay, and enj
Published August 1st 2011 by Harlequin Historical Undone (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Wanton Governess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wanton Governess

Limecello
May 18, 2012 Limecello rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Probably 3.75 stars - really cute story.
A bit too pat with the "I've loved you forever!" from the hero - especially since for a staid (somewhat angry) guy it seemed out of place.
Maybe more infatuation, but cute how it all worked out. Also, entertaining family and very close to being an entirely complete story, in such a small package, which is impressive.
Emery Lee
Aug 18, 2011 Emery Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spent this evening with Ferrero Rocher chocolates (my absolute favorite) and The Wanton Governess. It was a decadent delight!
78sunny
Nov 30, 2013 78sunny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review is for the german version of this story which is into the Anthology "Histprical Season 18"!

*Meine Meinung*
Also habe die Geschichte in dem Sammelband von Cora "Historical Season 18" gelesen. Hier heißt sie "Ein betörend schamloses Frauenzimmer".

Die Grundhandlung ist bei 65 Seiten natürlich nicht sehr umfangreich, trotzdem schaffte die Autorin es genug Hintergrund über Situationen und Personen zu vermitteln, dass die Geschichte nicht nur einfach so dahingeschrieben wirkte. Eine junge F
Jaye
Nov 30, 2013 Jaye rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Star: 1/5
Title accuracy: No kids in the story- not doing anything governess- related.
Heroine: Seems to have a sexy devil on her shoulders giving her naughty thoughts and encouragements. Her name seems to be 'sexy' or something but I don't get it.
Hero: Was in love with Heroine but gave up and ran away to America to deal with his 'anger' issues.
Chemistry: Lukewarm.
Best part in the story: Her folding her clothes and packing. He being confused and everyone coming in to interrupt them which makes h
Tasmia
Fun and well-written. Super amped up pace, but it's impressive what Monajem manages to fit within the space constraints (the back history, the family issues, the large cast). Simon was more a caricature than a character and I think it's almost a disservice to read this before reading the one where he's the hero, but from the excerpt of that on her website I'm convinced Monajem's skill helps mitigate that. I do wish there was more of an ending! I mightn'tve been able to stand a book-length versio ...more
Christy English
Apr 12, 2012 Christy English rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely piece. I really enjoyed it. There is something so charming about the heroine Pompeia. Her name alone would make me love her, but I loved her courage too as she seeks to find her place in a hostile world. Since this is a romance, she ended up with her true love. Wouldn't it be wonderful if life gave us that assurance too?
Ashley York
Apr 02, 2015 Ashley York rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love romance anyway so give me a hot hero and a believable heroine and I'm on my way. This one was so, so good! I read it in one "walking" but had to go further than usual because I was not going to put it down. Kudos Barbara Monajem.
Victoria Vane
Aug 25, 2012 Victoria Vane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mai
Mai rated it it was ok
Dec 07, 2015
April
April rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2012
Nak
Nak rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2014
Elly
Elly rated it did not like it
Jan 25, 2013
Donna
Donna rated it did not like it
Aug 21, 2014
Cassie Peters
May 12, 2014 Cassie Peters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Barbara's books are always great. I love reading them.
O.D.P.
O.D.P. rated it it was ok
Mar 12, 2015
Jo-AnnLunny
Jo-AnnLunny rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Missy
Missy rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2017
Leigh
Leigh rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2015
Gina
Gina rated it did not like it
Jun 02, 2012
Kenneth Elders
Kenneth Elders rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2016
Nancy Northcott
Nancy Northcott rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2012
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2016
Yvonne Gom
Yvonne Gom rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
SuperWendy
SuperWendy rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2012
Lily
Lily rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2013
Beerchen
Beerchen rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 12, 2015 11:24AM
Barbara Monajem wrote her first story in third grade about apple tree gnomes. After dabbling in neighborhood musicals and teen melodrama, she published a middle-grade fantasy when her children were young. Now her kids are adults, and she's writing historical and paranormal romance for grownups. She lives in Georgia with an ever-shifting population of relatives, friends, and feline strays.
More about Barbara Monajem...