Start by marking “Cherry Heaven” as Want to Read:
Cherry Heaven

Cherry Heaven (City Five #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  303 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Kat and Tanka J are starting over. The New Frontier is nothing like war-stricken City Five--no battle scars, no memories of their parents. It's a perfect society, where everyone lives in harmony. Or so they say. There's me, the ghost in the glass, and there's everyone else on the warm side of the windows. If you're really quiet, you'll hear me creeping in the shadows. Some ...more
Published February 5th 2008 by Harper Teen (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Cherry Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cherry Heaven

Carmen
Nov 08, 2013 Carmen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Science-Fiction/Fantasy; Teens
If you liked HUNGER GAMES, you might like this. This is a science-fiction/fantasy book. It is the future. Humans have left Earth. Also, they have gills now (but they still live on land). Drug use seems a little bit more common and acceptable. Everyone is gene-stamped. There are three kinds of people. Atsumisi are rich, respected, etc. Mazzini are just okay and Galrezi are spat on. This is the author teaching her readers about race relations. Unknown to the people in society, the politicians and ...more
Angela
While the jacket declares in several places that LJ Adlington also wrote The Diary of Pelly D, no where does it actually tell you that this is the companion book. From someone who hasn't read Pelly D, it seems like you can read this book without reading the previous one, but you'll probably understand a lot more if you've read Pelly D. At the end of this book, I had a lot of questions about the logistics of this world - questions I'm not sure would have been answered in Pelly D.

Ultimately it's
Katrina
Apr 22, 2009 Katrina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of utopain fantasies.
I have always been a fan of utopian fantasies such as 1984 and Brave New World, Cherry Heaven falls into this category and does not disappoint. Of course, the interesting things about these books is the commentary they make on our current society.

The alternate narrations between the Jones sisters and Luka P eventually intertwine as their lives and stories do. Some themes in Cherry Heaven are honesty and the lengths people will go through to gain power.

I think the story idea and the characters
Arminzerella
Guitar Chick
Cherry Heaven was definitely one of the more un-expected page turners I've read this year. I had never heard of it until I checked it out from the library. I sure didn't know it was a companion book either, although I do plan to read the Diary of Pelly D now.

Anyway, onto this little book here.
It's definitely hard to get into, but once you get past the first fifty pages, I was hooked.
Luka's chapters were especially hard to get into in aforementioned first fifty pages, but thye heat up pretty fa
Maribella
Cherry Heaven by L.J. Adlington is a book with many twist and turns that make you want to keep reading. What originally attracted me to this book was the book cover and the summary in the back of the book. The cover had pink flowers with barb wire and water with a dark background. The summary caught my attention because it said something about a mysterious ghost coming back to a place, and I love books that have to do with ghosts, suspense,and mystery. Later, as I read on, I found out that ther ...more
Eva Mitnick
In this sequel or companion to The Diary of Pelly D, two teenaged sisters move with their foster parents to the New Frontier. The war in the Five Cities may be over, but devastation and awful memories remain; Kat and Tanka’s parents, both identified as Galrezi and thus inferior, were rounded up and killed 10 years ago.

In a parallel story, teenaged Luka, a Galrezi, has been a virtual slave for the last 10 years, first digging in a quarry and then imprisoned under awful conditions in a flavored-wa
Rachael
I recently reviewed Cherry Heaven for Harperteen. I was very impressed with this book.

The story is set in a futuristic society on a planet other than earth. People are grown in test tubes and have gills. Status is based on the color of the tattoo on your hand, which is based on a gene test. At the top, there are the Atsumisi with their red/silver tattoos. Then, there are the blue/sliver Mazzini. At the bottom are the green/silver Galrezi.

Kat and Tanka Jones moved from City Five to the New Fronti
Lucy
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

History repeats itself.

Everyone left Earth because of all the fighting and destruction of the planet. All these people left for a better chance at life, but they've forgotten their past mistakes.

Kat and Tanka move to the New Frontier with their foster parents ten years after the war killed their real parents. The New Frontier is taking giant leaps in equality for everyone, keeping peace, and helping to rebuild this world.

Unfortunately, there's a
Lexi
Sylene
I think there was a book before this...The Diary of Pelly D, but even without reading it, I thought this was pretty good. I liked Gim D a lot :) Even though he only popped up in like 5 scenes total, most of them flashbacks...
Tiffany Yu
Sad and somewhat disturbing
Ann
Awesome, mysterious, captivating book.
I think the number one thing that made me love this book so much is the mysterious beginning and then the astonishing results. It made me hold my breath.
But, the one thing that really disappointed me was the ending. It was like a flap, rather than the flourish I expected. But it was acceptable, I guess...
The plot was amazingly made, the conflicts were spicy, and the resolution was awesome. All of that equal one great 5 star book, Cherry Heaven.
Julie
It took me quite awhile to get into this book, but when I did, I couldn't put it down. It's a companion to "The Diary of Pelly D" which I haven't read yet, but I am going to now! I think I would have done better if I had read Pelly D first, but it was still a good read. It is set in a society that is still reeling after a war of mass persecution on racial classes. One girl escapes from a factory where she is a slave and tries to get let people know the truth about their society.
Jess
Perhaps it because I just read Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and the images from that novel were fresh in my head--- but all I could think about during Luka's narrative was WWII and concentration camps. It took a good 100 pages for me to get into this book, but once I did, I didn't want to put it down. Although I am not typically a fan of SCI FI (I much prefer realistic fiction), the story was believable... which really is quite scary.
Abby
Definitely not as good as The Diary of Pelly D. This should really be 1 and 1/2 stars (why doesn't Goodreads let you do that?) You could see the ending coming from miles in advance, and the characters were all totally one-dimensional and predictable. Still, if you want to find out what happened to some of the characters in Pelly D, you might want to read this. Or you could save yourself some time by emailing me and I'll tell you what happened to them.
Corin
Everyone should read this. I feel its one of those books that should be in every classroom and library up and down the country.

The ideas, the characters, the storyline.....everything from the cover picture is perfection.

It doesn't matter that its children's literature - c'mon look at the success of the Hunger Games! This book is amazing and I could read it endlessly without getting bored.

Read it.
Tony Stark
Kind of a strange book, but all the same I give it points for originality. I read it due to a close friend's suggestion. It was slightly difficult to get into, and certain points throughout the book required every ounce of focus in my body so I that I wouldn't put it down and read something else. Some parts are hard to mentally grasp, but in the end it pretty much all fits together. Good book!
Charlie
I really loved this book and it takes a little while for you to understand the tragedy of what has happened to the human race and it really strikes a chord when it does. I feel that the sister and Luca are compelling characters who I empathized with, and the suspence created with the dual storyline really draws you in. Overall I really believe this is a fantastic book. :) x
Natanya L
This is the companion novel to The Diary of Pelly D. I read it because I loved the Diary of Pelly D. Maybe my expectations were too high. I found that it fell a bit flat. It was not bad, and I did like how it tied together with the Diary of Pelly D, but if you are only going to read one of the two, I would recommend that one. Definitely read the Diary of Pelly D first.
Hanna
Awesomly weird. Really shows you the depth of human cruelty, resourcefullness, and ethics. It kind of makes you realize that there will always be some kind of evil in mankind, no matter how hard you try to escape it. But it also shows you that there also really is some good in the world if you just try to look. Beautiful, and very touching.
Jen Bojkov
I just found out that I'm reading book two first. Should have read the Diary of Pelly D. Oh well- too far in now to stop. I guess I'll go back and read the other and see if I made a mistake... Finished reading it and really liked it. Going to go back and read Pelly D. This was nicely done and had points to make in between the action.
Martha
*spoiler ahead* ----> I really enjoyed this, but for some reason I struggled with the last 10-20 pages or so. It got kind of slow and I felt like the author tried too hard to tidy up all the little details and create a happy ending. Also, apparently it's a sequel and I probably should have read the first book ahead of this one. Oh well.
Rachel Anne
thought it was very well written. It takes place sometime in the future, on a planet that humans with gills have been sent to live on. It deals with racism between three fake races, forced labor, and "peace". Very deep, but written easy for teens and young adults to comprehend. I like the authors style of writing.
Miriam
I loved this book - the whole plot is very thought-provoking, after-all we can't help what genes we receive, why should we be punished for it. Luka's POV was quite scattered in comparison to Kataka's but the complimented each other well. An enchanting read.
Sharon
A world filled with the very poor, the very rich, the genetically superior and the gentically inferior, Adlington brings both worlds to a realistic sometimes horrifying life. It made me want to read The Diary of Pelly D, mentioned in this story.
Tori
I really liked the Diary of Pelly D and I looked forward to this sequel, but it was very uneven. I thought it started rather slowly, the mystery kept me going in the middle, but it all fell flat toward the end. I finally quit reading.
Angie
Wow! A utopian society that is not what it seems...this book is really weird and quite alluring! I was pleasently surprised...I really liked this book and it kept me reading even though it was an intimidating 500 pages!
what i learned from this book was that u could never judge somebody by just looking at them that u should appreciate people the way that they are and that you should never be mean to people that you don't actually know.
Cherry Heaven 1 13 Nov 10, 2008 03:12PM
  • The Innocent's Story
  • The Neddiad: How Neddie Took the Train, Went to Hollywood, and Saved Civilization
  • The Kindling (Fire-us, #1)
  • When I Crossed No-Bob
  • Beauty Shop for Rent: . . . fully equipped, inquire within
  • A True and Faithful Narrative
  • The Curse of the Romanovs
  • Safe
  • Minerva Clark Gets a Clue (Minerva Clark, #1)
  • Ain't Nothing but a Man: My Quest to Find the Real John Henry
  • Toby Wheeler: Eighth-Grade Benchwarmer
  • The Carbon Diaries 2015 (Carbon Diaries, #1)
  • The Fortunes of Indigo Skye
  • Grease Monkey
L. J. Adlington is the author of The Diary of Pelly D, which was named an ALA Best Book for Young Adults. She graduated from Cambridge University, and has lived and worked in Japan and Spain. She now lives in York, England, where she teaches hands-on history lessons for museums, schools, and historical sites.
More about L.J. Adlington...
The Diary of Pelly D Night Witches The Glittering Eye Burning Mountain