Start by marking “Adiós, Toby: Cuando muere tu mascota” as Want to Read:
Adiós, Toby: Cuando muere tu mascota

Adiós, Toby: Cuando muere tu mascota

In this book the reader will find both solace and practical advice regarding how to overcome the pain while at the same time paying tribute to someone who was his or her companion for so long. The author addresses all the questions that those who have ever lost a pet ask themselves, such as what to tell the kids and what to do with the remains. This is a comforting book fo ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Plataforma Editorial, S.L. (first published July 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Adiós, Toby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adiós, Toby

Andrea
I bought this today to try to get some comfort to ease the sadness and grief I've felt since my dog Peanut died on 01/19.

It did bring some smiles to my fact but overall, I still feel the same. It does give some advice about the grieving process, but nothing I didn't already know (eat right, get some exercise, take care of yourself, etc).

A few quotes I found sweet:

"'Until one has loved an animal,' wrote Anatole France, 'a part of one's soul remains unawakened.' Almost anyone who has ever let an
Eva Leger
Jul 15, 2009 Eva Leger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has lost a pet/ is losing a pet/will lose a pet- all pet owners
Recommended to Eva by: found it in a store
Wow- this has been the most helpful book so far that I've read since my dog died. Granted, I haven't read that many and I'm pretty picky with what I think I'll actually be able to read but this surpasses what I have read.
I was a little leery it would be too religious, with the author being a religious person, and it wasn't. It was about as religious as I am, which is somewhat with not being "overboard". (IMO.)
I definitely would recommend this to anyone who has ever owned a pet. It's helped me
Maria
Aug 02, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though written by a clergyman, this beautifully written book does not have an overtly religious tone. There is one chapter that discusses religion which I skipped over. What is does offer is comfort, calm, and a reassuring voice that I needed desperately this week upon the passing of my beloved cat. Highly recommend.
Richyl
Jun 03, 2015 Richyl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this after my beloved cat Baby Kitty died. I really liked it,it was very comforting. Though the writer is a Pastor it does not overly focus on Christianity and represents beliefs from around the world.
Laurla2
i liked these two poems.

"when despair for the world grows in me
and i wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be
i go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water
and the great heron feeds
i come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief
i come into the presence of still water
and i feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. for a time
i rest in the grace of the world, and am fre
Erin
Jun 19, 2010 Erin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'll just quote directly from the book, because that will tell you enough:

"Has life lost its melody? Take time to sit and listen to the music of a forest stream. Are you dejected? Pay attention to what the bluejay says to the mountain. If we are receptive, the beings who share our living planet can bring balm to our distress. They may not answer the question, 'why?' at least not in words. But as on eagle's wings, they can lift us above discouragement."

Wow. Thanks for the healing words, I feel so
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
This was a very well done book. Helpful, and certainly emotional, the author did more than just go through the different stages of grief, but provided stories and ways to ease the transition between life with your pet, and life after their death.

I was a little afraid to read this, since the author is a minister - I was afraid the book would be too religious for my liking. But Kowalski talks about how humans have dealt with the loss of a pet for thousands of years, and how different religions ha
Susie
Jan 28, 2012 Susie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiftyfiftyme
Sometimes thoughtful, sometimes trite. Great quotes from other writers throughout. Overall helpful.

However, on p.114, the author discredits himself for some reason: "When the blow finally falls and [my dog of 10 years] dies, I may stagger a bit...For some reason, though, death no longer frightens me"

Well, the kind of person who picks up a book like this is not someone who just "staggered a bit."
Jo
Sep 20, 2011 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a lot of good, comforting wisdom and advice to help me after I lost my dear doggie Bob in August. It made me feel good, but also brought back some sadness over the loss since it got me thinking about it. That's okay, though, since it overall has helped me cope better than I ever thought I would!
Chris
Sep 08, 2009 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
Purchased this based on good reviews at Amazon. Found it distant and scientific. Based on others' experiences rather than his own. It is hard hard for me to read a book on pet loss when the writer's are still alive--and he talked about them. Mostly "people feel like this...." Was really looking for more comfort than I got.
Rosie
Aug 27, 2009 Rosie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too distant and scientific; quotes psychological studies, etc. Some good stuff, but much of the book is taken up by stuff that someone actually grieving wouldn't have the slightest interest in reading.
Lindsay Ewing
This is just what i needed to reassure me that everything I'm feeling is normal. If you're dealing with the grief of losing a beloved pet, I highly recommend this.

And how fitting that the reason I read this book is right by my side in my profile picture.<3
Jackson Matthews
These are things we should know, but it still hurts to read about them. I hope to be as wise as Mr. Kowalski urges us to be.
Betty V. Lloyd
May 24, 2016 Betty V. Lloyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Helps in your loss.

Would highly recommend in the loss of our precious companions.
Very well written and helps with your grieving of your best friend.
Sep 21, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read! Worth reading again and again or when the time calls for it. Moving and beautiful. It has some religious connotations, but that can be easily by-passed for those not interested.
Lee
Apr 08, 2014 Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comfort and joy

I lost a beloved pet recently and it was a painful and difficult loss because he was hit by a car. I blame my self. this book will help heal.
Jodi
Aug 21, 2016 Jodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-1/2 ⭐ ...more
Mindi
Jan 08, 2012 Mindi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too religious for my taste
Stefanie
Stefanie rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Jeff Montgomery
Jeff Montgomery rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Susan Rowald
Susan Rowald rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2017
Sheri
Sheri rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2012
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2014
Jeanne Winter
Jeanne Winter rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2014
Dorothy
Dorothy rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2012
Susanna Barnes
Susanna Barnes rated it really liked it
May 16, 2014
Raven
Raven rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2016
Alison
Alison rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2008
Karen Corea
Karen Corea rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Death: The Final Stage of Growth
  • Cold Noses At The Pearly Gates
  • Pawprints of Katrina: Pets Saved and Lessons Learned
  • The Man Who Talks to Dogs: The Story of Randy Grim and His Fight to Save America's Abandoned Dogs
  • When a Pet Dies (First Experiences)
  • One at a Time: A Week in an American Animal Shelter
  • The Dog's Mind: Understanding Your Dog's Behavior
  • Animals in Spirit: Our faithful companions' transition to the afterlife
  • For the Love of Animals: The Rise of the Animal Protection Movement
  • 30 Days to a Well-Mannered Dog: The Loved Dog Method
  • Animals and the Afterlife: True Stories of our Best Friends' Journey Beyond Death

“I have done mostly what most men do, And pushed it out of my mind; But I can’t forget, if I wanted to, Four-Feet trotting behind. Day after day, the whole day through — Wherever my road inclined — Four-Feet said, “I am coming with you!” And trotted along behind. — RUDYARD KIPLING, “Four-Feet” 2 likes
“We can let our animals know that they are going on a trip, to a place with no struggle and no suffering. We can tell them how much we will miss them and what a special place they will always have in our hearts. We can hug them and hold them. Through what we say and how we say it, we can express our love for them rather than our need for them, giving them permission to depart on their own timetable rather than insisting that they remain here for our sake. From our tone of voice, they may sense that a major change is in the offing, but they may also understand that we will remain with them to the end and that there is ultimately nothing to fear.” 1 likes