Start by marking “The Crucified Life: How To Live Out A Deeper Christian Experience” as Want to Read:
The Crucified Life: How To Live Out A Deeper Christian Experience

The Crucified Life: How To Live Out A Deeper Christian Experience

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  27 reviews
"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me; and the life which now I live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."

The apostle Paul declared in his letter to the Galatians that he had been “crucified with Christ.” But what does this mean? Is this a claim every believer can and shoul
Published September 9th 2011 by Regal

To ask other readers questions about The Crucified Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crucified Life

Josue Manriquez
Tozer has a lot of excellent things to say in this book. One of the strongest points of this book is Tozer's passion for God's glory being God's glory (as opposed to 99% belonging to Him, and 1% belonging to self). It is very easy to desire a little bit of that glory, but this is no good!

His comments on living a life completely surrendered to God, no matter what the cost, are very convicting. I was also very much challenged by his prayer that God would orchestrate the events in his life that wo
Tozer has a tendency to write in a way that speaks in high-level ideas, rather than specific practices and practical thoughts. "The Crucified Life" is no different. Just as I would start to drift while reading the book, Tozer would start upon some idea that I hadn't considered in the same way he presented it, and I would gain my interest in the book back again.

The book is good, but is rather abstract. One of the best gems I got from it was from meditation upon the introduction I believe, when h
Tozer wrote with such spiritual intensity and I am constantly amazed at how prescient his writing still is a half-century later. This book is strong on the appeal to distance ourselves from the world. He pulls from hymns, ancient mystics ("evangelical mystics" he calls them) and his usual treatment of biblical texts.

What is most helpful in this work is how he joins a direct appeal for spiritual hunger with practical advice to those desiring a deeper walk with Christ. A good example of this is th
Joshua Mckeown
LOVE THIS BOOK. It's great and really speaks to us in how we are to live a life that is crucified with Christ. I want to make sure I'm a "hundred folder"
Definitivamente uno de los mejores libros que he leído sobre la entrega total de un cristiano. Existen pocos libros que sean relativamente contemporáneos sobre este tema.

La vida crucificada... una vida a la cual Dios nos ha llamado, pero que como cristianos nos resistimos a llevar. Una vida muy bien descrita por el autor, tocando todos los temas relacionados: que es, cual es el costo, cuales son los peligros, las consecuencias y las recompensas.

Hay un buen capítulo para leer a los cristianos "mí
Thought provoking. I never underline books... this book has a lot of underlines in it. I'm quite sure this book falls into the category of those books you will read (and need to read) more than once in a lifetime.

Tozer pulls no punches in his indictment of the Christian Church in America. More stunning still? His view comes from 50+ years ago, proving once again that there is nothing new under the sun. We are apathetic and lukewarm, but God invites us to join Him, walking the Crucified Life wit
Jeanne Jacobson
Wow! I have never heard a description of Christ's crucifiction like that and the book went into such great detail and thought on our Savior's sacrifice for us! MUST READ or listen to this one!!
George Hunger
This is the first book I have read by Tozer. My wife has long been a fan, encouraging me to read his books for many years now. With that said, I don't know why I waited so long to read him!

The Crucified Life encourages every Christian to go deeper with Christ, to live entirely surrendered to Him, and to live completely for His glory. This book is a rare gem in light of the majority of Christian books available today, which resemble self-help books more than they should. This book will challenge
Joshua Foote

great book on the holiness and struggle of Tozer for holiness of his converts and for himself an amazing partial biography of this amazing Christian
Tiffany Domena
This book restores the pure conviction of Christ followers to be like him. Walk the walk! Great book!
Gisèle Uwobahorana
Such a good and challenging book. Going over the book for the second time now!!
This book will challenge you to put Christ first in everything you do. It is an in depth analysis of how to live an all-out Christian life! This book was a good follow-up to Not a Fan by Kylie Idleman for me. It challenged me to go deeper in my journey of surrendering to Jesus. My only complaint would be that Tozer seems to have a real bias against "fun," and I believe that having fun can still have a place in the Christian's life, even though it shouldn't be our ultimate goal. Overall, a worthw ...more
Scott O'Neil
Awesome book! Recommend to every Christian!
I struggle to find words to review this book. God speaks through Tozer and cuts straight to my heart with conviction, truth, love, grace, wisdom. I put him in the category with the spiritual guides he treasured and describes in this book. "Only a trustworthy guide can help us along the way and enable us with great victory to live the crucified life." This may be one of the best and most impactful books I have read. His words about true religion vs American church culture cut right to the core an ...more
Highly Recommended. There just aren't many authors of this sort today - and by that I mean authors that will deliver the hard message of sin, hope, and the cost of discipleship at the feet of Christ. It's a message that is sorely needed today.

I had the audio version of this book and it was very difficult to listen to. The audio of A. W. Tozer himself was of poor quality. The format the book was written made it hard to follow. The narrator was monotone and therefore made the material tedious to keep up with. I found myself constantly turning it off to listen to something else because I got bored or sleepy. I think it best to purchase the book and not the audio, because quite truly, I haven't a clue if the Crucified Life is attainable.
An excellent work on the deeper christian life.
One warning I would give, is that a believer should be steeped in the teachings of grace before reading this book. It would be quite easy for someone to turn this teaching into merit based Christian living instead of a guide to seeking more intimacy with God.
Tozer is also a bit anti-intellectual, which has no basis in Scripture; rather a Christian ought to lean on God, but use his mind.
Royal Farris
I like reading Tozer. This is a compilation of his writings that had not been published before.

Tozer's def for a crucified life "is a life wholly given over to The Lord in absolute humility and obedience: a sacrifice pleasing to The Lord. Gal 2:20. Pg 15.

Tozer's books are best read slow again.

Norm Konzelman
I have read many many books, but sadly my experience with Christian heroes, Christian leaders, Christian writings is not deep.
It is a great blessing to have come across the works of A. W. Tozer.
It is a book I might say not, does it deserve you, but do you deserve it?
If you seek to walk with God at all in your heart read this book, and another by him, "Voice of a Prophet".
This book as amazing! A.W. Tozer has taken the subject of living a Christian life, and gone one step further into living a crucified life! His writing is eye opening, honest, and not very difficult to understand. No matter where you are on your Christian journey, I would recommend for you to read this book!
Barrie Bliss
Aiden W. Tozer really show you what it means to live a crucfied life. He strips away all pretense and doesn't beat around the bush. It opens your eyes to the reality of the crucfied life- it's struggles, its victories. Would recommend this book to any real follower of Christ.
I feel that I would have learned a lot from reading this book; however, I'm simply too ADD to get through it. What I did read had a lot of good information, but it was very dry and I found myself having to re-red a page multiple times before it sunk in.
Johnny Mcdonald
This is a great book, I look forward to reading it again in the near future.
Amazing book. It made me stop and think a lot. Certainly not a book for a quick read. I took time to process his points. A must read for any Christian.
So much Godly wisdom and truth in this book. I highly recommend it! It was my first time reading Tozer, but definitely not my last.
I think A.W. Tozer is becoming my favorite Christian author.
Another good read from Tozer!
Dec 06, 2014 Loretta added it
Shelves: kindle
Jamie Sanders
Jamie Sanders marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
  • How to Listen to God
  • The Jesus Life: Eight Ways to Recover Authentic Christianity
  • Sodom Had No Bible
  • Five Views on Biblical Inerrancy
  • Untamable God: Encountering the One Who Is Bigger, Better, and More Dangerous Than You Could Possibly Imagine
Aiden Wilson Tozer was an American evangelical pastor, speaker, writer, and editor. After coming to Christ at the age of seventeen, Tozer found his way into the Christian & Missionary Alliance denomination where he served for over forty years. In 1950, he was appointed by the denomination's General Council to be the editor of "The Alliance Witness" (now "Alliance Life").

Born into poverty in we
More about A.W. Tozer...
The Pursuit of God The Knowledge of the Holy The Pursuit of Man: The Divine Conquest of the Human Heart The Attributes of God: A Journey Into the Father's Heart (The Attributes of God, Volume 1) Whatever Happened to Worship?: A Call to True Worship

“Nicolas Herman, who was commonly known as Brother Lawrence, was a simple dishwasher in the institution where he lived. He said he did those dishes for the glory of God. When he was through with his humble work, he would fall down flat on the floor and worship God. Whatever he was told to do, he did it for the glory of God. He testified, “I wouldn’t as much as pick up a straw from the floor, but I did it for the glory of God.” 5 likes
“One important point many fail to understand is that the Bible was never meant to replace God; rather, it was meant to lead us into the heart of God. Too many Christians stop with the text and never go on to experience the presence of God.” 4 likes