Start by marking “Language and Mind” as Want to Read:
Language and Mind

Language and Mind

This is the third edition of Chomsky's outstanding collection of essays on language and mind, first published in 2006. The first six chapters, originally published in the 1960s, made a groundbreaking contribution to linguistic theory. This edition complements them with an additional chapter and a new preface, bringing Chomsky's influential approach into the twenty-first ...more
Published January 12th 2006 by Cambridge University Press (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Language and Mind, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Roy Lotz
Jun 15, 2016 Roy Lotz rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthropologize
Noam Chomsky is one of those towering names one hears echoed in drunken college conversations about intellectual whatnot. Dropping a reference to his political activism or his linguistic theories is mandatory to covering all of your intellectual bases. I’m certainly guilty of engaging in not a few semi-inebriated conversations about Chomsyan linguistics without having had the slightest understand of it. Now, at least I can say I have the basic idea. So, as an act of good will, I have written a ...more
Nadi Ghaffari
پولشو دادم.نمرشم نگرفتم.چون نمیفهمیدم تکلیفشم ننوشتم...
دلم میخواد پاره کنمش و آتیشش بزنم...
#عصبانی
Jonathan Chuang
Oct 17, 2016 Jonathan Chuang is currently reading it
I initially picked this up to supplement the linguistics-themed music theory lectures I'm watching by late NYC philharmonic conductor Leonard Bernstein (a fantastic conductor of immense energy and subtlety of mind) because even though I didn't buy the phonetic analogies (the harmonic series has aesthetic qualities I don't believe phonemes in speech have, despite what people might make of the almost universal use of 'ma' to signify mother) he really convinced me about syntax. I will never see ...more
Armineh Nouri
Jan 05, 2014 Armineh Nouri rated it really liked it
I've read the very first edition of this book (p. 1968) and must therefore admit to my ignorance of all new/modified content in more recent editions—from what I've understood in other reviews, the newest edition includes more than six chapters, with the original three incorporated into a single, opening chapter.

As you would expect from a work of linguistics coming from Chomsky, this book is immensely insightful and engaging. Nevertheless, there are a few points that would do the publication goo
Marzie taram
یک قفسه باید درست کنم به نام "مشکل ها" کتاب هایی که باید بعد از خواندن کتاب های مرتبط دوباره خوانده شوند بلکه فهمیده شوند!
Dale
Jan 03, 2016 Dale rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, nonfiction

... if we contemplate the classical problem of psychology, that of accounting for human knowledge, we cannot avoid being struck by the enormous disparity between knowledge and experience - in the case of language, between the generative grammar that expresses the linguistic competence of the native speaker and the meagre and degenerate data on the basis of which he has constructed this grammar for himself.

It is this problem that motivates Chomsky's work in linguistics. When he began his linguist
Ghola
Jan 02, 2015 Ghola rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chomsky addresses what he considers to be the tough questions in the cognitive sciences. He implies the field(s) are going in a direction that is counterproductive. The book is short and divided into three sections: 1. the actual paper, 2. remarks and rebuttle from 3 fellow scholars, and 3. Chomsky's conclusions. Unfortunately, the first section is very dry. The last to sections more than make up for this. It's worth the read if you are into cognition, language, or Chomsky.
khers
اين كتاب مشتمل بر 6 مقاله است. دستاوردهاي زبانشناختي در مطالعه ذهن: گذشته، دستاوردهاي زبانشناختي در مطالعه ذهن: حال، دستاوردهاي زبانشناختي در مطالعه ذهن: آينده، صورت و معني در زبانهاي طبيعي، ماهيت صوري زبان و در نهايت زبانشناسي و فلسفه.

دكتر كوروش صفوي در مقدمه خود آورده است: اين اثر همانند تمامي آثار كلاسيك رشتههاي مختلف ويژگيهاي خود را داراست. با گذشت زمان، مخاطبان اين دسته از متون را متخصصاني تشكيل ميدهند كه با اهدافي ويژه به مطالعه آثاري ميپردازند كه شايد اعتبار علمي زمان خود را از دست داده
Nesrine
زبان-روانشناسی، اندیشه و تفکر

(view spoiler)
Emperador Spock
Aug 11, 2013 Emperador Spock rated it liked it
The book does an amazing job of taking a few needles and working its hardest at hauling huge hay stacks around them. Furthermore, since texts from about 50 years ago occupy almost all of the book, the needles already are somewhat rusty and a bit dull.

6 of the essays, that is, the 'golden' oldies, are nothing but a number of fairly simple (although probably not so self-evident in the linguistics of the time) ideas, flooded with a deluge of barely structured, uninformative, philosophical meanderin
Feb 23, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
Three and a half. Though a collection of six separate essays and lectures, these mostly share thematic content. The insights within, a continuation of Chomsky's theoretical ideas about, and search for, Universal Grammar, are poignant but also more technical than the average reader might need. Though I find Chomsky's theoretical psychological models fascinating, I shudder to think how underwhelming I would have found one of these lectures live--so detailed, like conference proceedings instead of ...more
Josiah Miller
Jul 11, 2012 Josiah Miller rated it really liked it
This book is repetitive in parts where he argues the same points of view against some of the same critiques in a couple of different essays in the book. For me, this book helped me have a better understanding of some concepts that gave me problems in other explanations from other texts. The reiteration of these concepts really drove it into my brain.
Lester Ballard
Jul 10, 2011 Lester Ballard rated it liked it
This book is worth reading if only for the first essay, in which Chomsky notes that a sentence's structure undergoes some sort of transformative process that gives it a pregnant meaning for its utterer or whomever hears the sentence. After a brief conversation of some of the implications of this idea, he descends into pedantry.
Michael
Jan 09, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
Over all well written and informative. Some specific problems with the edition, though. The e-book version was obviously hastily put together, as it featured many spelling and punctuation errors. It's disheartening when publishers obviously don't take the time and care to ensure they put out a quality product. Especially for a book on the topic of language itself!
M
Sep 07, 2010 M marked it as to-read
Noam Chomsky Language and Mind was a part of the awakening reading during my psychology's studies. Need to re-read it.
Derek
Jan 08, 2009 Derek rated it really liked it
i've read it before, but decided to again after reading Stephen Pinker's THE STUFF OF THOUGHT. if you're a Minimalist Syntax person (like me), this is Chomsky at his eloquent best (and not nearly so dense as his MINIMALIST PROGRAM).
Dec 01, 2009 110 marked it as references
Shelves: evolution
I didn't read the book.

Chomsky against Darwin through the innate humanity of the human brain as an argument. There is a metaphysical distinction between humans and animals.
Robert Run
Mar 20, 2009 Robert Run rated it really liked it
Nice to read Chomsky on a subject other than power and politics. -Really-

I had to read this after reading Jaynes and getting a feel for the evolution of consciousness and the role language and symbolic language plays in that. Good to see variations on these themes.
Truyen Nguyen
Dec 13, 2008 Truyen Nguyen rated it really liked it
You might want to learn another language. Noam is inspirational, and technical as he should be; for what he is all about a gnome.
Gadeer Al-Shathry
Oct 26, 2013 Gadeer Al-Shathry rated it liked it
The book tackles the development of language philosophy. It tries to find an answer to what is the nature of language learning and what are the processes that take place in the learner's mind.
jay niemeyer
Aug 03, 2014 jay niemeyer rated it really liked it
Incredibly fascinating. Chomsky is a superb scientist, actually. Of course, he is a terrible political/ social theorist.
Rafael
Jan 28, 2008 Rafael rated it liked it
Não aceito o fato de ele negar a influência do ambiente na formação da língua dentro da teoria da gramática universal, mas mesmo assim vale pena ler pelas idéias revolucionárias.
Nate
Oct 31, 2008 Nate marked it as to-read
Just picked it up yesterday at BOOKS in Cummings Station. That's a fine bookstore, and I didn't know it existed until I walked past. I'll keep you posted as I begin slogging.
Emily
Mar 15, 2015 Emily rated it did not like it
Outdated, unscientific, and frequently just plain wrong. A fantastic base for hypotheses that have since been empirically tested and found false.
Yvette
Just a thought:

I read this book several years ago. I remember enjoying Chomsky's erudition, and would like to revisit this thin but incredibly dense book.
Beenish Khan
May 23, 2015 Beenish Khan rated it liked it
A challenging but mind-expanding read. But I am yet to come across a book on language that gives concrete ideas and not speculations. The research on language has a long way to go.
Jeff
I don't think anyone can hold it against me for not really understanding it that well. It was 15 yrs ago, maybe another try?
Abby Koch
Mar 07, 2008 Abby Koch rated it really liked it
Took me ages to read, but worth the effort
Kia Taheri
بخشی از خطِ زمانِ زبان‌شناسی در دهه‌های اخیر.
  • Course in General Linguistics
  • Semiotics and the Philosophy of Language
  • English Phonetics and Phonology
  • Language
  • Sociolinguistics: An Introduction to Language and Society
  • How Language Works: How Babies Babble, Words Change Meaning, and Languages Live or Die
  • Word and Object
  • Naming and Necessity
Avram Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, political activist, author, and lecturer. He is an Institute Professor and professor emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Chomsky is credited with the creation of the theory of generative grammar, considered to be one of the most significant contributions to the field of linguistics made in the 20th century. H
More about Noam Chomsky...

“In fact, the belief that neurophysiology is even relevant to the functioning of the mind is just hypothesis. Who knows if we're looking at the right aspects of the brain at all. Maybe there are other aspects of the brain that nobody has even dreamt of looking at yet. That's often happened in the history of science. When people say that the mental is the neurophysiological at a higher level, they're being radically unscientific. We know a lot about the mental from a scientific point of view. We have explanatory theories that account for a lot of things. The belief that neurophysiology is implicated in these things could be true, but we have every little evidence for it. So, it's just a kind of hope; look around and you see neurons; maybe they're implicated.” 11 likes
“Plainly, such an approach does not exclude other ways of trying to comprehend the world. Someone committed to it (as I am) can consistently believe (as I do) that we learn much more of human interest about how people think and feel and act by reading novels or studying history than from all of naturalistic psychology, and perhaps always will; similarly, the arts may offer appreciation of the heavens to which astrophysics cannot aspire.” 10 likes