Start by marking “Monacello: The Little Monk (Monacello, #1)” as Want to Read:
Monacello: The Little Monk (Monacello, #1)
Preview

Monacello: The Little Monk (Monacello #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  5 reviews
An orphaned child is dressed as a monk and ostracised by everyone except the roaming wild cats of Naples for his scary looks and his seeming ability to bring both good and bad luck. Monacello searches above and below ground for his parents and finds help from a little girl with mysteries of her own.
Published September 1st 2013 by Phoenix Yard Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Monacello, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monacello

Susannah
I picked up this book to read mainly because it has a creepy cover and I quite like the illustration style. It is an unusual story for children. Set in Italy in an historical setting, it is about a baby boy abandoned at a nunnery. He is christened Monacello by the nuns and dressed in monk's robes: hence the title. He does not grow, remaining short, and so the people become superstitious and think he brings bad luck. He is particularly targeted by some boys belonging to a powerful family in the t ...more
Deb Beasley
Quirky, odd and totally in my brain. I'm going to read the second book now
Jessica
Not really sure what to make of this. It sort of has a gothic feel, but the grown ups in it are just so mean. Even the nuns! It made me really sad, but I imagine it would be a good read for demonstrating the effect of hurtful words on others and the power of kindness.
Sonja
my 8 year old son picked this up in the library and I started to read it, as I wanted to make sure it's not too scary for him. While I know it's not his kind of book at all, I on the other hand loved it and will order part 2 and can't wait for part 3 to come out.
Lucy
Mar 05, 2015 Lucy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: boys
Matt (9) said amazingly brilliant. The book had lovely illustrations. It was a bit strange. Loved that the boy in the book made friends with cats. It is the first in a series. Will definitely read the rest.
Jennifer Gilbert
Jennifer Gilbert marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Robert Cojocaru
Robert Cojocaru marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Ash
Ash marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2013
Stefanie
Stefanie marked it as to-read
May 01, 2012
Maria Gill
Maria Gill marked it as to-read
May 01, 2012
Mary Lynn
Mary Lynn marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2012
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2011
Geraldine McCaughrean was born in 1951 and brought up in North London. She studied at Christ Church College of Education, Canterbury and worked in a London publishing house for 10 years before becoming a full-time writer in 1988. She has written over 120 books, 50 short plays for schools, and a radio play.

Her adult novels include Fires’ Astonishment (1990) and The Ideal Wife (1997), but she is bes
More about Geraldine McCaughrean...

Monacello (2 books)
  • The Wish-Bringer (Monocello, #2)
Peter Pan in Scarlet The White Darkness The Kite Rider One Thousand and One Arabian Nights The Death-Defying Pepper Roux