Start by marking “The Amber Photograph” as Want to Read:
The Amber Photograph

The Amber Photograph

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  381 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Diedre McAlister's mother is dying. But before she lets go of this life, she givers her daughter an old photograph and these parting words: "Find yourself. Find your truth. Just don't expect it to be what you thought it would be."

And Now Diedre's search begins-a quest to find the only person who can provide the missing pieces, the truth. But that search will cost Diedre he
Hardcover
Published March 31st 2001 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Amber Photograph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amber Photograph

Susan
Nov 28, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I had figured out the mystery by the time I was on page 32, I was still completely enthralled by this book. I read this in a few evenings and could not put it down. The story is about 2 women whose lives are connected by a disturbing past. Diedre and Amber must find each other, find healing and examine thier faith. A great book.
Megan Bodwell
May 10, 2013 Megan Bodwell rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
What a surprisingly good book! I can't remember now why I bought it or why it has sat for so long on my TBR shelf. However, I am so glad that I picked it up. A story so real, yet not graphic. The worst possible things to happen to a family, and author Penelope J. Stokes writes strong. In a rare display by a writer, Stokes writes honestly, without pulling any punches, yet the reader is not offended or horrified. I felt everything I am positive that Stokes intended her readers to feel: sadness, an ...more
Amy Laurens
Mar 28, 2012 Amy Laurens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tried to read this one once years ago and it didn't work. I think probably because I'd just read two of Stokes's other books, and this one felt too much the same. However, coming back to it now, fresh and not having read her work for a long time, I found this book incredibly inspiring.

The younger character's (sorry, can't remember names right now - she's early 20s, though) mother dies, sending her life into a tailspin, and setting her on a determined path to uncover the mystery surrounding her
Pauline
Dark and difficult topics but in the hands of this author, a well-written and gripping novel was presented.
Denise
I took so long to finish this book. No offense to the book, but sometimes it's hard to do all the things I need to do, like read. As for the book, it addressed the issue of sibling relationships, parent-child relationships and rebuilding a relationship with God. Overall, good book, but not great. I did appreciate the sensitivity that the author gave to the subject of hidden problems that sometimes come to light after a death.
Tina
Jun 02, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book seemed to drag on a bit and was a fairly predictable but an enjoyable reading. The tale of two sisters who were separated for nearly 20 years through family secrets are reunited to learn unknown and powerful secrets about their relationship that help them piece their lives together and move forward towards healing and healthy relationships with each other and others.
Katy
Jun 02, 2013 Katy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book was well written, and the characters were interesting enough. However, it was a little more christian than I prefer, and I called the big shocking twist within the first couple of chapters. I was still compelled to keep reading, though, and wanted to know what would happen, so in that aspect it was pretty good.
Polly
Apr 10, 2010 Polly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a sweet book! I really enjoyed this book. I picked it up from the library for $1. I was a book on tape. It was an intriguing book. I thought I had it figured out but it was fun to find out if I had or not. Some of it I got right and other parts I did not. Good, clean book.
Pat
Sep 16, 2012 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the clueless reviews I see are the reason I have learned to be careful about revealing anything. Yes, it ended well - after more than 20 years of hell for Amber and Diedre. It isn't over yet either. These things never really are. Recovery is a life-long work in progress.
Tealen
Nov 03, 2008 Tealen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
This is a good book, not what I expected but good. It is about healing from a terrible wrong done to someone and the consequenses of that wrong on other people as well. I liked it and cruised through it in about 6 hours.
Mary Fabian
This was a decent read, although there were parts that I glossed over as they felt unimportant and kind of dragged. Nothing life changing or thought provoking was gleaned from the book.
Helen
Nov 26, 2008 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished listening to this book and really liked it. It dealt with a sensitive and difficult subject but showed how good things can come out of bad situations.
Carolb
May 10, 2010 Carolb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book.

Gems from this book:

"You never let go of someone you love."
"The blessing brought out of the curse."

borrowed from local library
Loraine
A riveting read that will keep you up nights. Faith in the midst of tragedy helps two young women find their way back to normalcy.
Catherine Kost
Mar 27, 2013 Catherine Kost rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book is a little predictable, it is a great read. A very gently told tale of personal redemption and grace.
Noemy J. H.
I would not call it a great book, but it's a nice book to read.
I enjoyed it, but I am not sure I would read it again.
May 29, 2013 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-finished
I had the audio version and have no idea what was going on. Seriously it was awful to try and follow.
Debbie
Jan 12, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It has a little of everything and kept me reading. Kindof sad but true type of story.
Hannah
Jun 14, 2011 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took a little while to get going, but oh! I never guessed the truth. It was a very well told story.
Wade
May 25, 2013 Wade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did I just read and enjoy "chick lit"?? O guess it was a hybrid of that and suspense. Good book!
Lori
Jul 29, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book and have enjoyed author's other books as well

Jane Mcgarry

It was ok. Fairly predictable but written very well.
Lyndi
Dec 12, 2009 Lyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another former book club book. I really enjoyed it.
Jessica
Apr 17, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty predictable, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Rebekah
The premise for this book really pissed me off
Julia Kinney
Very very good. Its worth reading :)
Linda
Aug 15, 2011 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. Like this Author.
Rosie
Jul 26, 2010 Rosie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent!!!!
Pam
Jul 31, 2012 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book!
Kristen Stelly
Kristen Stelly marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
  • Jacob's List
  • A Promise in Pieces
  • Texas: Pioneer Hearts Are Open to Love and at Risk for Danger in Four Interwoven Novels
  • Norah's Ark
  • Mixed Signals
  • Healing Waters (Sullivan Crisp, #2)
  • A New Dawn Over Devon (Secrets of Heathersleigh Hall, #4)
  • A Daughter for Christmas
  • Flash Point (In a Heartbeat #2)
  • A Wedding Invitation (Heart of Carolina #4)
  • Then Comes Marriage
  • Wings of Refuge
  • Color the Sidewalk for Me (Bradleyville Series, #2)
  • Alaska Twilight
  • Where the Heart Leads (Heart of the Prairie #2)
  • Her Secret Affair
  • Gardenias for Breakfast
  • Tender Grace
It’s often been debated whether a person’s destiny lies in genetics or environment, but either way, I suppose I was destined to be a fiction writer. A Baby Boomer with an English teacher and a social worker for parents, I grew up being challenged to develop my imagination, and to seek out for myself the meaning and significance of life. I learned early both the magic and mystery of stories and the ...more
More about Penelope J. Stokes...