Start by marking “Ill Will (Micky Knight, #7)” as Want to Read:
Ill Will (Micky Knight, #7)

Ill Will (Micky Knight #7)

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  207 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
First, do no harm. But as New Orleans PI Micky Knight discovers, not every health care provider follows that dictum. She stumbles into a tangle of the true believers to the criminally callous, who use the suffering of others for their twisted ends. In a city slowly rebuilding after Katrina, one of the most devastated areas is health care, and the gaps in service are wide e ...more
Published April 17th 2012 by Bold Strokes Books (first published April 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ill Will, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ill Will

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
315th out of 1,282 books — 1,552 voters
Tropical Storm by Melissa GoodAbove All, Honor by RadclyffeWithout Warning by K.G. MacGregorHunter's Way by Gerri HillHonor Bound by Radclyffe
Best Lesbian Novel Series
59th out of 75 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Megan
Definitely recommended.

There’s so much that I want to say about this Ill Will; but, can’t say without giving massive spoilers. This book really affected me and was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. I’m still reeling a bit from where Redmann took this one. This is a good thing – when an author manages to make their story linger with the reader long after the last page has been turned, they’ve done their job masterfully.

Although Ill Will is the seventh in the Micky Knight series there’s nothi
Judith
Aug 12, 2012 Judith rated it liked it
ILL WILL by J M Redmann

#7 in the “Micky Knight” series......

Micky Knight is a Lesbian PI...a “dyke dick”....and, this time around, she’s tackling the Health Care System......post Hurricane Katrina....in the shambles of New Orleans

Besides dealing with shady Contractors...she’s dealing with shady Health Care Providers....Snake Oil salesmen of the first water, who have “science” as a back up..

The thing is, Micky’s lover is a Doctor....with a recent Cancer diagnosis....I think you see where this is
Heidi Gonzalez
Apr 24, 2012 Heidi Gonzalez rated it really liked it
This is the first Micky Knight mystery that I've read and I just discovered that there are six more that came before this! I am pleased that I didn't feel like I was missing any information by jumping in so far along in the series. I really loved the characters and I am a sucker for just about any book set in New Orleans. I love the atmosphere, and the descriptions of post Katrina NOLA are devastating, riveting and real.

Micky gets thrown into a case involving a snake oil salesman selling vitamin
Katy
May 27, 2012 Katy rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Katy by: NetGalley
Book Info: Genre: Detective/Lesbian Noir Reading Level: Adult

Disclosure: I received a free eGalley eBook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis: First, do no harm. But as New Orleans PI Micky Knight discovers, not every health care provider follows that dictum. She stumbles into a tangle of the true believers to the criminally callous, who use the suffering of others for their twisted ends. In a city slowly rebuilding after Katrina, one of the most devastated areas is health ca
Lynn
May 12, 2015 Lynn rated it really liked it
Another great novel in this series. I love the characters and issues this book touches. The logistical and personal difficulties of living in Post-Katrina New Orleans came alive for me. I figured everything went back to normal down there when the power came back on.....duh.
Hesch Aut
Dec 29, 2014 Hesch Aut rated it it was amazing
She just won't give us a break!

If you expect hot sex, exciting flirts and lots of laughter like in the earlier books of the Micky-Knight-series, you might be dissapointed with book # 7. But when you're a Micky-fan, you very likely still might want to keep reading about her, her partner, her friends and her life. And in that case you will get a bit of a shock at some point when reading "Ill Will". Not, that you weren't used to shocks anyway by now. So if you are up for another emotional ride, get
Rhonda
Mar 16, 2012 Rhonda rated it really liked it
Review: Ill Will by J.M. Redmann
4 STARS
This is a book I wouldn't have picked up to read, because its out of my comfort
zone. I liked it but it did have a lot of swearing in it. No sex scenes in it.
PI Micky Knight works in New Orleans and has been really busy since Katrina. Her partner Cordelia is a doctor who is taking over for a doctor on leave.
Cordelia mentions to the other doctors who are discussing some patients that have not hat medical follow ups and were canceled when different people wh
Elaine Burnes
Sep 09, 2012 Elaine Burnes rated it liked it
Shelves: lesbian, mystery
This is the 7th Micky Knight book. It maybe should score higher (if we could do half stars, it'd get 3.5), but it has a fair amount of flaws. The personal saga of Micky is as good as ever. If you thought she and Cordelia had been through the worst possible, hold on tight. Yikes! I don't want to say anything about that story line and thankfully the book's blurb does not go there. Suffice it to say, Redmann had better be writing no. 8. Fast! I would like to think I could trust this author with her ...more
Wayne Spiceland
Jul 02, 2013 Wayne Spiceland rated it it was amazing
On occasion, I’m asked why I read a lot of lesbian fiction,, largely mysteries, but urban fantasy/paranormal when I can find decent examples. Sometimes, the question is accompanied by a Python-esque “nudge-nudge, wink-wink” à là Eric Idle, eliciting gnashing of teeth on my part. Less frequently, it’s accompanied by something resembling a leer, which means that the interrogator and I likely won’t be having these little tête-à-têtes in the future.

Anyway, something over a decade ago, I was browsin
PJ
Jul 17, 2012 PJ rated it it was amazing
Confession here ... I'm a huge fan of the Micky Knight books by JM Redmann ("Deaths Of Jocasta" is an absolute must read). In my opinion, Micky is one of the best defined and written characters, in lesbian fiction or otherwise. She's complex and flawed and feels real. I look forward to each and every installment in the Micky Knight series and I was not at all disappointed in this latest edition.

"Ill Will" is a wonderful book, incredibly well written and strongly poignant. I refuse to give out an
tres
The book is very slow paced this time. Maybe it's because of the theme, which is now more focused on Micky and Cordelia, their relationship and the difficulties Cordelia goes through that puts the usual sleuthing a bit more aside. It's not bad by any means. It's actually opposite as it gives a chance to see how they happen to realize how much they mean for and how far they'd go for each other.

That said, the book still couldn't hold my attention. Maybe it's because the actual 'detectiving' part f
Alena
Apr 06, 2012 Alena rated it really liked it
Not quite possible to discuss this without spoilers, but I'll try.

It was paced a lot slower than previous novels and only picked up speed towards the end, but hey, even Micky gets older, I guess.

I enjoyed the ride and had my heart broken in between, but this series always manages to do so. I was surprised that a storyline that hit very close to home didn't have me more emotionally involved. I'm such a crybaby when it comes to books and movies, but nope, no tears here. I don't know why.

It was a v
Gill
Jul 10, 2015 Gill rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Annoyingly, I don't know when I read Ill Will, but I've definitely read it.

The dislocating effects of Hurricane Katrina are still apparent for Micky and her friends, the latter again being mostly absent.

Healthcare - or the lack of it - takes centre stage for Micky personally and professionally.
Heather Henkel
Apr 19, 2014 Heather Henkel rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesbian, mystery
I liked that even though there were health issues, Cordelia and Micky stuck together and built a closer relationship.
Jess Faraday
Apr 15, 2012 Jess Faraday rated it it was amazing
Although I can't say enough good things about the entire series, this installment somehow tops them all. I've enjoyed watching Micky grow, professionally and emotionally, and this book sees her at her sharpest, as well as at great emotional depth.

The mystery is well-plotted, well researched, and very well paced.

One of the hallmarks of an excellent series is that a reader can pick up any volume and not feel as if she's missing something. This is true of this series as well, but one will get the
Mary Vermillion
Jul 07, 2013 Mary Vermillion rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
An interesting depiction of post-Katrina New Orleans and a wonderful portrait of Mickey and her partner Cordelia as they struggle with Cordelia's lymphoma. One of my favorite lines: "...how you spend time can be more important than saving time."

I had the great pleasure of serving on a couple panels with Redmann at the recent GCLS conference. She said that her writing is all about why people pursue justice--certainly true of this novel, focused on health care issues.

I'm sad and embarrassed that t
Ulla
Oct 20, 2014 Ulla rated it it was amazing
I'm a Micky Knight fan and have read the whole series again and again. Now I'm happy to start the next one, still remembering every detail of "Ill Will".
I've never been to New Orleans but it's become so alive for me through Redmann's writing, on top of what I've learned through the years as a jazz and blues fanatic!!
Elisa Rolle
Oct 25, 2015 Elisa Rolle rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
2012 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Brenda
Oct 21, 2012 Brenda rated it liked it
Fun mystery with a medical twist!
Zoran
Zoran marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Netty robinson-booth
Netty robinson-booth marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Håkan
Håkan rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2016
Dani Dean
Dani Dean rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Ulli
Ulli rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
Verechnaya
Verechnaya rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
  • Rainey Nights  (Rainey Bell, #2)
  • Deal with the Devil (Cain Casey, #3)
  • Like Jazz
  • Returning Tides (Provincetown Tales, #6)
  • Conflict of Interest
  • Snowbound
  • A Kiss Before Dawn
  • Slingshot
  • Lethal Affairs (Elite Operatives, #1)
  • Pennance
  • Fragmentary Blue (Alex & CJ, #1)
Jean Marie Redmann is an American novelist best known for her mystery series featuring New Orleans private investigator Micky Knight.

Main themes of Redmann's novels are the protagonist's troubled childhood and how it affects her adult life, discrimination based on sexual orientation and alcoholism.

Her novels follow the tradition of hardboiled fiction. Redmann's third book The Intersection of Law a
More about J.M. Redmann...

Micky Knight (8 books)
  • Death by the Riverside (Micky Knight, #1)
  • Deaths of Jocasta (Micky Knight, #2)
  • The Intersection of Law and Desire (Micky Knight, #3)
  • Lost Daughters (Micky Knight, #4)
  • Death of a Dying Man (Micky Knight, #5)
  • Water Mark (Micky Knight, #6)
  • The Shoal of Time (Micky Knight, #8)