Start by marking “Ill Will (Micky Knight, #7)” as Want to Read:
Ill Will (Micky Knight, #7)

Ill Will (Micky Knight #7)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  16 reviews
First, do no harm. But as New Orleans PI Micky Knight discovers, not every health care provider follows that dictum. She stumbles into a tangle of the true believers to the criminally callous, who use the suffering of others for their twisted ends. In a city slowly rebuilding after Katrina, one of the most devastated areas is health care, and the gaps in service are wide e ...more
Published April 17th 2012 by Bold Strokes Books (first published April 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ill Will, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ill Will

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
374th out of 1,055 books — 1,271 voters
Tropical Storm by Melissa GoodAbove All, Honor by RadclyffeHonor Bound by RadclyffeWithout Warning by K.G. MacGregorHunter's Way by Gerri Hill
Best Lesbian Novel Series
58th out of 59 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Megan
Definitely recommended.

There’s so much that I want to say about this Ill Will; but, can’t say without giving massive spoilers. This book really affected me and was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. I’m still reeling a bit from where Redmann took this one. This is a good thing – when an author manages to make their story linger with the reader long after the last page has been turned, they’ve done their job masterfully.

Although Ill Will is the seventh in the Micky Knight series there’s nothi
Judith
ILL WILL by J M Redmann

#7 in the “Micky Knight” series......

Micky Knight is a Lesbian PI...a “dyke dick”....and, this time around, she’s tackling the Health Care System......post Hurricane Katrina....in the shambles of New Orleans

Besides dealing with shady Contractors...she’s dealing with shady Health Care Providers....Snake Oil salesmen of the first water, who have “science” as a back up..

The thing is, Micky’s lover is a Doctor....with a recent Cancer diagnosis....I think you see where this is
Heidi Gonzalez
This is the first Micky Knight mystery that I've read and I just discovered that there are six more that came before this! I am pleased that I didn't feel like I was missing any information by jumping in so far along in the series. I really loved the characters and I am a sucker for just about any book set in New Orleans. I love the atmosphere, and the descriptions of post Katrina NOLA are devastating, riveting and real.

Micky gets thrown into a case involving a snake oil salesman selling vitamin
Katy
May 27, 2012 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Katy by: NetGalley
Book Info: Genre: Detective/Lesbian Noir Reading Level: Adult

Disclosure: I received a free eGalley eBook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis: First, do no harm. But as New Orleans PI Micky Knight discovers, not every health care provider follows that dictum. She stumbles into a tangle of the true believers to the criminally callous, who use the suffering of others for their twisted ends. In a city slowly rebuilding after Katrina, one of the most devastated areas is health ca
Hesch Aut
She just won't give us a break!

If you expect hot sex, exciting flirts and lots of laughter like in the earlier books of the Micky-Knight-series, you might be dissapointed with book # 7. But when you're a Micky-fan, you very likely still might want to keep reading about her, her partner, her friends and her life. And in that case you will get a bit of a shock at some point when reading "Ill Will". Not, that you weren't used to shocks anyway by now. So if you are up for another emotional ride, get
Rhonda
Review: Ill Will by J.M. Redmann
4 STARS
This is a book I wouldn't have picked up to read, because its out of my comfort
zone. I liked it but it did have a lot of swearing in it. No sex scenes in it.
PI Micky Knight works in New Orleans and has been really busy since Katrina. Her partner Cordelia is a doctor who is taking over for a doctor on leave.
Cordelia mentions to the other doctors who are discussing some patients that have not hat medical follow ups and were canceled when different people wh
Elaine Burnes
This is the 7th Micky Knight book. It maybe should score higher (if we could do half stars, it'd get 3.5), but it has a fair amount of flaws. The personal saga of Micky is as good as ever. If you thought she and Cordelia had been through the worst possible, hold on tight. Yikes! I don't want to say anything about that story line and thankfully the book's blurb does not go there. Suffice it to say, Redmann had better be writing no. 8. Fast! I would like to think I could trust this author with her ...more
Wayne Spiceland
On occasion, I’m asked why I read a lot of lesbian fiction,, largely mysteries, but urban fantasy/paranormal when I can find decent examples. Sometimes, the question is accompanied by a Python-esque “nudge-nudge, wink-wink” à là Eric Idle, eliciting gnashing of teeth on my part. Less frequently, it’s accompanied by something resembling a leer, which means that the interrogator and I likely won’t be having these little tête-à-têtes in the future.

Anyway, something over a decade ago, I was browsin
PJ
Confession here ... I'm a huge fan of the Micky Knight books by JM Redmann ("Deaths Of Jocasta" is an absolute must read). In my opinion, Micky is one of the best defined and written characters, in lesbian fiction or otherwise. She's complex and flawed and feels real. I look forward to each and every installment in the Micky Knight series and I was not at all disappointed in this latest edition.

"Ill Will" is a wonderful book, incredibly well written and strongly poignant. I refuse to give out an
tres
The book is very slow paced this time. Maybe it's because of the theme, which is now more focused on Micky and Cordelia, their relationship and the difficulties Cordelia goes through that puts the usual sleuthing a bit more aside. It's not bad by any means. It's actually opposite as it gives a chance to see how they happen to realize how much they mean for and how far they'd go for each other.

That said, the book still couldn't hold my attention. Maybe it's because the actual 'detectiving' part f
Alena
Not quite possible to discuss this without spoilers, but I'll try.

It was paced a lot slower than previous novels and only picked up speed towards the end, but hey, even Micky gets older, I guess.

I enjoyed the ride and had my heart broken in between, but this series always manages to do so. I was surprised that a storyline that hit very close to home didn't have me more emotionally involved. I'm such a crybaby when it comes to books and movies, but nope, no tears here. I don't know why.

It was a v
Heather Henkel
I liked that even though there were health issues, Cordelia and Micky stuck together and built a closer relationship.
Jess Faraday
Although I can't say enough good things about the entire series, this installment somehow tops them all. I've enjoyed watching Micky grow, professionally and emotionally, and this book sees her at her sharpest, as well as at great emotional depth.

The mystery is well-plotted, well researched, and very well paced.

One of the hallmarks of an excellent series is that a reader can pick up any volume and not feel as if she's missing something. This is true of this series as well, but one will get the
Mary Vermillion
An interesting depiction of post-Katrina New Orleans and a wonderful portrait of Mickey and her partner Cordelia as they struggle with Cordelia's lymphoma. One of my favorite lines: "...how you spend time can be more important than saving time."

I had the great pleasure of serving on a couple panels with Redmann at the recent GCLS conference. She said that her writing is all about why people pursue justice--certainly true of this novel, focused on health care issues.

I'm sad and embarrassed that t
Ulla
I'm a Micky Knight fan and have read the whole series again and again. Now I'm happy to start the next one, still remembering every detail of "Ill Will".
I've never been to New Orleans but it's become so alive for me through Redmann's writing, on top of what I've learned through the years as a jazz and blues fanatic!!
Brenda
Fun mystery with a medical twist!
Irina
Irina marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Betsy Moon
Betsy Moon marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Lisa Alba
Lisa Alba marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Lysa Wolffe
Lysa Wolffe marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Lelia
Lelia marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Devil Unleashed (Cain Casey, #2)
  • Rainey Nights  (Rainey Bell, #2)
  • Justice Served (Justice, #4)
  • Conflict of Interest
  • Snowbound
  • Imagining Reality
  • Red Sky At Morning (Dar and Kerry, #4)
  • Hallowed Murder (Jane Lawless, #1)
  • Dust
  • The Beverly Malibu (Kate Delafield, #3)
  • Everything You Have Is Mine (Lauren Laurano, #1)
  • Pennance
  • Gun Shy (Gun, #1)
Jean Marie Redmann is an American novelist best known for her mystery series featuring New Orleans private investigator Micky Knight.

Main themes of Redmann's novels are the protagonist's troubled childhood and how it affects her adult life, discrimination based on sexual orientation and alcoholism.

Her novels follow the tradition of hardboiled fiction. Redmann's third book The Intersection of Law a
More about J.M. Redmann...

Micky Knight (8 books)
  • Death by the Riverside (Micky Knight, #1)
  • Deaths of Jocasta (Micky Knight, #2)
  • The Intersection of Law and Desire (Micky Knight, #3)
  • Lost Daughters (Micky Knight, #4)
  • Death of a Dying Man (Micky Knight, #5)
  • Water Mark (Micky Knight, #6)
  • The Shoal of Time (Micky Knight, #8)
Death by the Riverside (Micky Knight, #1) Deaths of Jocasta (Micky Knight, #2) The Intersection of Law and Desire (Micky Knight, #3) Lost Daughters (Micky Knight, #4) Death of a Dying Man (Micky Knight, #5)