Start by marking “One Lane Bridge (Library Edition)” as Want to Read:
One Lane Bridge (Library Edition)

One Lane Bridge (Library Edition)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  343 ratings  ·  50 reviews
A sweet-yet-sincere portrayal of one man’s search for answers to a puzzling riddle. J.D. and his wife Karlie have enjoyed a long, good life in the small town of Hanson, NC. But problems with the family business, conflict with their college-age daughter, and ripples in their otherwise happy marriage have threatened the idyll. Then things get even more challenging when J.D. ...more
Audio CD
Published October 1st 2010 by Oasis Audio

To ask other readers questions about One Lane Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Lane Bridge

TarHeelGirl00
Don Reid takes a fictional sci-fi premise and blends it with Christian principles to make a unique and interesting read!
Margaret
From the cover:

What J. D. needs is a little peace and quiet. He is trying to run two restaurants, keep his daughter from dropping out of college, and satisfy his lonely, aging mother. Cash begins to disappear from one of the restaurants, and he and his wife argue about how to deal with the problem.

One tranquil evening, J. D. takes off on a ride in the country to clear his mind. Top down, setting sun, wind in his hair ... leak in the radiator. When he walks up to an old farmhouse to ask for wate
Candy
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! While it involved time travel, it was in no way science fiction in it's feeling. Rather it involved family and the love between them, faith in God and how he moves, and every day life situations. It was fast moving but not action packed, and the characters seemed very human and real. This book comes highly recommended by me and I cant wait to read more by the author.
Janina Walker
Casey
I loved this book so much! Once I started it, I couldn't put it down! Enjoyed all of the characters and the plot!!
Kevin Bowser
I admit it. I got the book because I was curious about the author's writing talents versus his singing talents. And I was not disappointed.

I found the story intriguing. A little far-fetched. But still intriguing. The idea of a time portal seems a little "sci-fi", but the story did not read that way at all.

The story is about a man who is a husband/father/restauranteur who takes a drive one evening to clear his head from all that is going on in his life. While riding around on this country road h
Heather
I listened to the Austin book and was so glad I did. Don Reid, one of the original Statler Brothers, and the author, read the book himself. What a wonderful voice to listen to. I enjoyed the story as JD and Karlie's lives are changed after JD crosses the one lane bridge. There is a little mystery, a little, 'science fiction/fantasy', and faith.
Doug
I really didn't expect to like this as much as I did. It's not a complicated read (something that I still have to remind myself that I don't need to apologize for) but I found it to be thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable. The plot twists were totally unexpected. Loved the finish. This was one of those that I read for the pure enjoyment of the story.
Katherine
An enjoyable and fairly quick read. It has unusual aspects for a small country town novel. The characters are engaging and the plot has some nice twists and turns. It is really a novel about the interconnections between people and times.
There is an interesting surprise and a satisfying conclusion.
Rod
As others have already stated (and ruined for those who have not yet read the book), this story has element of "time travel" but I would rather say that it presents more an overlapping of segments in time. Only someone who has a grasp on eternity could write such a magnificent, touching story. Bravo!
Timothy Glass
Unique book!
I really love a book that takes me along on the journey and this one did just that. I had a hard time putting the book down. The characters were well developed and believable.

I do not want to spoil the read for anyone. All I can say is read it with an open heart and just enjoy the journey across the One Lane Bridge author Don Reid takes you on.
Cathy
Although a book involving time travel is not something I would normally read, I really loved this book! It is well-written and rather than science fiction, it deals with faith and family. Don Reid does an excellent job telling a compelling story, which I found hard to put down until I finished it!
Dailycheapreads
One Lane Bridge was written by Don Reid, amazing song writer and lead singer for the Statler Brothers, and this book moved with the rhythm and honesty of a good country song.
J.D. Wickman is good-natured middle-aged guy dealing with typical trials – his mother is in a nursing home, his daughter wants to quit college, an employee is stealing from his business. One night he takes a ride to clear his mind and comes across a poor farmer and his teenage daughter. Only later does he realize the one lan
Susan
Linda Rainey
God's Plan

Don Reid gives engrossing story about a man's journey of discovery. We see here God's hand in our lives and his plan for us.
Janet Miller
Being from a smaller town myself, I really enjoy Don Reid's books. I've read both of his novels and thoroughly enjoyed them. I'm looking forward to the sequel to "O Little Town".
Pmcdnld2
I really liked this even as I didn't buy it! JD and Karlie own 2 retaurants in a small NC town and are struggling with theft from their business. He goes out for a ride and ends up breaking down near an old farmhouse; inside a dirt poor family, mom very sick with no money for a doctor. The next day he and his wife go back with food and it has all disappeared: bridge, house, family. His wife and friend think he is cracking up. With the help of an old woman, he gets back to the farmhouse but it is ...more
Debbie
I have always been a fan of the Statler Brothers and finally this year had the opportunity to stop in what was once their museum, but now mainly a one room gift shop in Staunton, VA. I still enjoyed looking at the items they had there for sale, the few museum items they had on display and a brief conversation with the lovely lady who was minding the store!

I have been wanting to read one of Don's books since I read that he was an author, so took the opportunity to purchase and read this one. It
Beth Dickey
It started out a little slow and mundane, but after a few chapters I was hooked on the plot and had to find out what happens. A nice pleasant read.
Katie Wuchina
Neatly tied to well rounded good morels AND a mystery.
Stephanie
This book was full of twists and turns, very quick read.
Darlene
Loved this book. Really entertaining
Sue Sparks
It reminded me of the shack.
Linda
I read this book through in a day. I just couldn't put it down! I liked it so much that I recommended it to my husband and we read it together. He loved it too! No spoilers here: It's like nothing we've ever read before. Very original and interesting. Lots of twists and turns with nothing ending the way we thought it would. We can't wait to read other books by Don Reid.
joan
I could not, literally could not, put this book down. Very interesting premise. A tad amateurish as far as the writing goes. The author is one of the musical group The Statler Brothers. Not strong character development, except for the Grandmother who rocks! One part of the story-line that never actually resolved. And yet I could not put it down. Great Summer book.
Debra
Mix engaging characters with time-slip plotline and a puzzle - and you will have a book that I will not want to put down. Don Reid, of the Statler Brothers, is another writer like Lisa Wingate that makes me want to be a better person. His books are inspirational, but even non-religious people can enjoy them. The message is shown, not told.
Michele Minor
This book has the feel of the Twilight Zone with the main character who goes over the one lane bridge and enters into another time. He meets a poor but proud family on the other side of the bridge and learns that they are from another time. By the end of the book he learns how he is connected to that family.
Erica
I am not sure about my feelings toward this book. I want to say i like it but i am not sure i entirely do. You keep reading because you want to find out the whole purpose of him being able to go back to this time long ago but i just wasn't satisfied with the ending. Some questions for me where left unanswered.
Carol Adams
I found One Lane Bridge fascinating. Not only did it deal with time travel which I am very interested, but it was in Don Reid's typical down-home Virginia writing. Recommend highly. Was it really time travel, or was it something else? My favorite book of Don's so far.
  • Jaded (Mended Hearts #1)
  • Reclaiming Lily
  • Meet Mrs. Smith: My Adventures with Six Kids, One Rockstar Husband, and a Heart to Fight Poverty
  • Providence: Once Upon a Second Chance
  • Reinventing Rachel
  • Operation Bonnet
  • It's Your Call: What Are You Doing Here?
  • Coldwater Revival
  • Christianish: What If We're Not Really Following Jesus at All?
  • Reinventing Leona
  • The Language of Sparrows
  • Warrior Poet: Before David Was King
  • Why Trust Jesus?: An Honest Look at Doubts, Plans, Hurts, Desires, Gripes, Questions, and Pleasures
  • Discover the Mystery of Faith: How Worship Shapes Believing
  • The Reluctant Prophet (The Reluctant Prophet, #1)
  • Maggie Come Lately (The Pathway Collection, #1)
  • Standing Strong: How to Resist the Enemy of Your Soul
  • Seeing through the Fog: Hope When Your World Falls Apart
Don Reid, a member of the legendary Statler Brothers, has three Grammy awards, thirteen gold albums, and eight platinum albums. An award-winning songwriter, Reid is also the author of several books, including One Lane Bridge and O Little Town. He and his wife, Deborah, live in Staunton, Virginia.
More about Don Reid...
O Little Town The Mulligans of Mt. Jefferson: A Novel Heroes and Outlaws of the Bible: Down-Home Reflections of History's Most Colorful Men and Women Sunday Morning Memories: A Humorous and Inspirational Look at Growing Up in the Church Yosemite Climbs: Free Climbs: Free Climbs

“Bobby didn’t solve their problem and didn’t offer his opinion on their opposing solutions. His silence on the matter only added to the tension they were feeling from the daily money shortages.” 0 likes
“It’s the eyes with which you view that make a scene beautiful or not,” 0 likes