Start by marking “One Lane Bridge (Library Edition)” as Want to Read:
One Lane Bridge (Library Edition)

One Lane Bridge (Library Edition)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  430 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
A sweet-yet-sincere portrayal of one man’s search for answers to a puzzling riddle. J.D. and his wife Karlie have enjoyed a long, good life in the small town of Hanson, NC. But problems with the family business, conflict with their college-age daughter, and ripples in their otherwise happy marriage have threatened the idyll. Then things get even more challenging when J.D. ...more
Audio CD
Published October 1st 2010 by Oasis Audio

To ask other readers questions about One Lane Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Lane Bridge

Carol Nicolas
J.D. sets out for a simple drive in the country, needing some relaxation away from the problems at his restaurant and a struggling young adult daughter. He crosses a one lane bridge, and his car breaks down in front of an old farmhouse which contains a family in need. But when he returns the next day with groceries, the bridge is now a large, modern bridge; the house is gone; and no one has heard of the family. Thus begins an adventure of folded time, where J.D. is determined to solve the myster ...more
TarHeelGirl00
May 18, 2015 TarHeelGirl00 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don Reid takes a fictional sci-fi premise and blends it with Christian principles to make a unique and interesting read!
Alicia
May 04, 2015 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful read!
Margaret
May 14, 2015 Margaret rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
From the cover:

What J. D. needs is a little peace and quiet. He is trying to run two restaurants, keep his daughter from dropping out of college, and satisfy his lonely, aging mother. Cash begins to disappear from one of the restaurants, and he and his wife argue about how to deal with the problem.

One tranquil evening, J. D. takes off on a ride in the country to clear his mind. Top down, setting sun, wind in his hair ... leak in the radiator. When he walks up to an old farmhouse to ask for wate
Candy
Mar 22, 2011 Candy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! While it involved time travel, it was in no way science fiction in it's feeling. Rather it involved family and the love between them, faith in God and how he moves, and every day life situations. It was fast moving but not action packed, and the characters seemed very human and real. This book comes highly recommended by me and I cant wait to read more by the author.
Janina Walker
Apr 25, 2015 Janina Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elaine
Feb 08, 2013 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Delightful read! Don did a great job on this story. Was fascinated from the first to see how it would resolve.
Casey
Jun 16, 2014 Casey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much! Once I started it, I couldn't put it down! Enjoyed all of the characters and the plot!!
Kevin Bowser
I admit it. I got the book because I was curious about the author's writing talents versus his singing talents. And I was not disappointed.

I found the story intriguing. A little far-fetched. But still intriguing. The idea of a time portal seems a little "sci-fi", but the story did not read that way at all.

The story is about a man who is a husband/father/restauranteur who takes a drive one evening to clear his head from all that is going on in his life. While riding around on this country road h
Heather
Jun 28, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the Austin book and was so glad I did. Don Reid, one of the original Statler Brothers, and the author, read the book himself. What a wonderful voice to listen to. I enjoyed the story as JD and Karlie's lives are changed after JD crosses the one lane bridge. There is a little mystery, a little, 'science fiction/fantasy', and faith.
Doug
Apr 28, 2015 Doug rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: purchased
I really didn't expect to like this as much as I did. It's not a complicated read (something that I still have to remind myself that I don't need to apologize for) but I found it to be thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable. The plot twists were totally unexpected. Loved the finish. This was one of those that I read for the pure enjoyment of the story.
Melissa
This story was alright

I read this story once I started it just because that's what I do. It worked well, and was an easy read, but I just didn't really hold my interest. It wasn't what I expected or hoped for. The characters were fine and the story was alright.....I just didn't connect with this book.
Katherine
An enjoyable and fairly quick read. It has unusual aspects for a small country town novel. The characters are engaging and the plot has some nice twists and turns. It is really a novel about the interconnections between people and times.
There is an interesting surprise and a satisfying conclusion.
Rod
Feb 09, 2015 Rod rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As others have already stated (and ruined for those who have not yet read the book), this story has element of "time travel" but I would rather say that it presents more an overlapping of segments in time. Only someone who has a grasp on eternity could write such a magnificent, touching story. Bravo!
Tanya Avines
May 10, 2016 Tanya Avines rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book, lovely story
Loved the interactions of the characters, the kindness. How they cared for others, and in turn, others cared for them.
What goes around, comes around and doesn't this teach a person a nice lesson? Great book, highly recommend.
Plan to read again.
Timothy Glass
May 24, 2015 Timothy Glass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unique book!
I really love a book that takes me along on the journey and this one did just that. I had a hard time putting the book down. The characters were well developed and believable.

I do not want to spoil the read for anyone. All I can say is read it with an open heart and just enjoy the journey across the One Lane Bridge author Don Reid takes you on.
Cathy
May 23, 2015 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although a book involving time travel is not something I would normally read, I really loved this book! It is well-written and rather than science fiction, it deals with faith and family. Don Reid does an excellent job telling a compelling story, which I found hard to put down until I finished it!
Dailycheapreads
One Lane Bridge was written by Don Reid, amazing song writer and lead singer for the Statler Brothers, and this book moved with the rhythm and honesty of a good country song.
J.D. Wickman is good-natured middle-aged guy dealing with typical trials – his mother is in a nursing home, his daughter wants to quit college, an employee is stealing from his business. One night he takes a ride to clear his mind and comes across a poor farmer and his teenage daughter. Only later does he realize the one lan
Susan
Aug 29, 2011 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Linda Rainey
Apr 30, 2015 Linda Rainey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God's Plan

Don Reid gives engrossing story about a man's journey of discovery. We see here God's hand in our lives and his plan for us.
Janet Miller
Jul 04, 2015 Janet Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being from a smaller town myself, I really enjoy Don Reid's books. I've read both of his novels and thoroughly enjoyed them. I'm looking forward to the sequel to "O Little Town".
Pmcdnld2
I really liked this even as I didn't buy it! JD and Karlie own 2 retaurants in a small NC town and are struggling with theft from their business. He goes out for a ride and ends up breaking down near an old farmhouse; inside a dirt poor family, mom very sick with no money for a doctor. The next day he and his wife go back with food and it has all disappeared: bridge, house, family. His wife and friend think he is cracking up. With the help of an old woman, he gets back to the farmhouse but it is ...more
Debbie
Nov 28, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always been a fan of the Statler Brothers and finally this year had the opportunity to stop in what was once their museum, but now mainly a one room gift shop in Staunton, VA. I still enjoyed looking at the items they had there for sale, the few museum items they had on display and a brief conversation with the lovely lady who was minding the store!

I have been wanting to read one of Don's books since I read that he was an author, so took the opportunity to purchase and read this one. It
Beth Dickey
Jul 02, 2015 Beth Dickey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It started out a little slow and mundane, but after a few chapters I was hooked on the plot and had to find out what happens. A nice pleasant read.
Katie Wuchina
May 20, 2015 Katie Wuchina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neatly tied to well rounded good morels AND a mystery.
Stephanie
May 29, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was full of twists and turns, very quick read.
Darlene
Apr 25, 2015 Darlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Really entertaining
Sue Sparks
May 21, 2014 Sue Sparks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It reminded me of the shack.
JB
Feb 02, 2016 JB rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good easy read. Unusual plot and surprise ending.
Linda
Jul 31, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book through in a day. I just couldn't put it down! I liked it so much that I recommended it to my husband and we read it together. He loved it too! No spoilers here: It's like nothing we've ever read before. Very original and interesting. Lots of twists and turns with nothing ending the way we thought it would. We can't wait to read other books by Don Reid.
  • Operation Bonnet
  • Meet Mrs. Smith: My Adventures with Six Kids, One Rockstar Husband, and a Heart to Fight Poverty
  • Reinventing Leona
  • Do You See What I See?: Exploring the Christmas of Every Day
  • Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand
  • Maggie Come Lately (The Pathway Collection, #1)
  • It's Your Call: What Are You Doing Here?
  • Reclaiming Lily
  • And the Lamb Wins: Why the End of the World Is Really Good News
  • Wolves Among Us (Chronicles of the Scribe #3)
  • All for One (The Four Lindas, #3)
  • Lucky: How the Kingdom Comes to Unlikely People
  • Composing Amelia
  • Broken Identity
  • Providence: Once Upon a Second Chance
  • The Moving Prison: A Novel
  • Christianish: What If We're Not Really Following Jesus at All?
  • Seeing through the Fog: Hope When Your World Falls Apart
Don Reid, a member of the legendary Statler Brothers, has three Grammy awards, thirteen gold albums, and eight platinum albums. An award-winning songwriter, Reid is also the author of several books, including One Lane Bridge and O Little Town. He and his wife, Deborah, live in Staunton, Virginia.
More about Don Reid...

“Bobby didn’t solve their problem and didn’t offer his opinion on their opposing solutions. His silence on the matter only added to the tension they were feeling from the daily money shortages.” 0 likes
“J. D. set his phone down and looked over at her. “You know, we really put Bobby on the spot in there today.” “Well, he’s” 0 likes