Start by marking “They” as Want to Read:
They

They

'THEY' is a short story by Vincent Hobbes. It was first published in 'The Endlands' (Jan. 2010)

A relaxing drive in the Rocky mountains becomes madness as two couples find themselves trapped in a blizzard.
Published September 13th 2011

To ask other readers questions about They, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They

Jennifer Wardrip
In my opinion, there are two criteria that must be met in a short story to make it a GOOD short story. 1) You need enough description to understand the main plot points, and 2) there needs to be a definitive ending. Unfortunately, THEY had neither of these. You can call the creatures/things/whatnots "they" - but without description you'll still have no idea what type of "they" the author is trying to convey. And a few ...... after the last word of the story does not an ending make. Which, in all ...more
Yianna Yiannacou
Jun 19, 2012 Yianna Yiannacou rated it really liked it
This is a short story that actually had me interested in what was going to happen next. Two married couples end up on a one way road and no sense of direction. As much as the women in the back seat want the driver to turn around, he is hopeful and figures that they will run into the next town’s gas station. Not only are they driving at night, but they are also driving in a blizzard. The two combined are my worst nightmare. The tension grows as the gas tank empties and there is no gas station in ...more
TL
Jun 28, 2016 TL rated it did not like it
The storm ravaged the four as they traveled the dark, curvy roads of the Rocky Mountains. It was night—late. The storm reached for them, entangling the two couples on the crystal white road. The snow fell briskly, swirling across the road in a maddening fury, threatening to overtake them. Mike steered his orange, late-model Chevy Blazer cautiously on the ice-coated mountain road. orange, late-model Chevy Blazer cautiously on the ice-coated mountain road. The truck drifted and Mike tugged at the ...more
Sam Plank
May 09, 2015 Sam Plank rated it it was amazing
Who are they?

Who cares! A great short read! In just a few pages, you feel like you're shivering that blizzard, wondering if your fate is the same as that of a popsicle. Makes you feel like you're in the story!
T.W. Brown
Aug 26, 2012 T.W. Brown rated it liked it
THEY is a good story. That is the first thing I will say, so don't get hung up on stars here. It was fast and is a great way to spend a lunch break. There is a very pervasive feeling of doom almost from the onset and Vincent Hobbes does a splendid job of creating mood.

This is one of those stories that leaves everything to the imagination of the reader. You are forced to take a black and white image and fill in all the colors here and that is wonderful. You can get as deep into this tale as you
Saewod Tice
Oct 22, 2011 Saewod Tice rated it really liked it
THEY by Vincent Hobbes
(Review by Saewod Tice)

THEY is a short story about two married couples traveling through a blizzard. Soon, but not soon enough, they find themselves running out of gas. It’s freezing, the middle of nowhere and the group is stalled on the side of the ice and snow covered road. There is no other choice but for the men to venture for help. The men promise to be back in an hour. Almost two hours later the women fear the worst and the pounding on the window alarms them until the
Briana
Why is it that some men won't admit they are lost or have made a wrong turn? Pigheadedness? Pride? Overconfidence? Stupidity?

When you are lost, isolated, driving on fumes on a mountain road in the middle of a winter storm, you are asking for trouble. The characters of this story definitely found it. Er... rather THEY found them.

This was a suspense-filled horror thriller, a free short from Amazon. It isn't one I'd read again and again, but it was pretty freaky in a "Tales From the Crypt" kind of
Adam Light
Nov 20, 2012 Adam Light rated it it was ok
Shelves: shorts
I gave THEY two stars instead of one because I've read a couple of Hobbes's other short stories, and I know he can write... unfortunately this story did not quite live up to his potential. The characters were one dimensional, and I believe that with a little more detail, the story would have come to life a bit better.

The major complaint I have is that the word "they" is used in italics over and over again, as if Hobbes is telling the story to a bunch of spooked kids at a 4-H club campfire, empha
Kevis Hendrickson
Oct 12, 2011 Kevis Hendrickson rated it it was amazing
Totally enjoyed reading this. I'm a sucker for a good horror story and THEY fit the bill. What I really appreciated was Mr. Hobbes efforts to take his time to get you to know the characters before things go wrong. When it did, it heightened the drama knowing that these poor characters were going to get put through the mill. Truth be told, this is one of the few times where I wish a short story was longer!

THEY is one of the stories included in The Endlands Anthology which I reviewed last year. Bu
Sandy
Dec 09, 2011 Sandy rated it it was ok
Shelves: nook
Two couples driving in a blizzard, men up front and women in the back. Women think they are lost and try to tell the driver to turn around and well, he decides to press forward. The other male, his younger brother, in the car thinks they are lost too but the driver has control. It was like a power struggle in the sibling department. Run out of gas? Come on! It's late at night, during a blizzard, in the curvy Rocky Mountains and you don't have any extra gas? Cell phone? I realize that Kelly was a ...more
Jason Maurer
Jul 17, 2012 Jason Maurer rated it really liked it
I love a good, short story with a lot of punch. This one definitely had some kick to it, the characters were realistic, and it was good to learn about them before... well, I don't give spoilers, so you have to read the story to find out just what happens.

While it is painfully obvious what happens in the end, I was a bit disappointed that "They" were not described in detail. Granted, that leaves the reader imagination wide open to make up any horrific image possible, but I would have preferred to
CC Stapleton
Jul 16, 2012 CC Stapleton rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Though a short story, Hobbes is still able to provide a shivering tale of mystery and fear by playing upon travelers’ vivid imaginations when facing the unknown. The detailed narrative provides gut wrenching and chest tightening waves of panic with absolutely no hope in sight. The most interesting aspect of THEY, is the way Hobbes presents realistic characters and situations, yet allows the reader to fill in the blanks with their own vision of terror.

Read my full review at Bloody Good Horror: ht
Madeline
Jun 10, 2012 Madeline rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
Short ebook. Good story. I could totally picture this as part of a suspense or horror film. Stuck in a blizzard.. NOT FUN!! when THEY find you... you better RUN for your life; and even then,you might not be safe. We never find out who THEY are, or what THEY look like, but I would NEVER want to cross them, you won't either after you read this short ebook. It reminded me of the movie wrong turn, and to never go out in a raging blizzard. (Not that I can anyway, since I live in FL, lol, but still).
Donald Armfield
This is my kinda HORROR! They snarl, They howl and rip you to pieces.

Vincent does a short story that you would probably catch on Tales From the Crypt. The skeleton dude at the end applauding because the ending is definitely a likable one.

Take the 20 minutes and read this. "THEY" want you too.
Gina
Nov 04, 2013 Gina rated it really liked it
This was a really great short story! I'm not a big fan of short stories. I love lots of details and time to picture the story in my head. However this story read so true it was easy to really imagine being in a car and running into trouble.
Chris
Mar 20, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, 2012-reads
There isn't much story here. Little or no suspense, decent characterization, but no real concept or story. He is a good writer, however; I enjoyed two other stories by Mr. Hobbes---"To Read or Not to Read" and "The Hour of the Time" and recommend both of those, which are available free on Kindle.
Alicia
Jun 16, 2012 Alicia rated it did not like it
Free short story on Kindle. I didn't like any of the characters. It's just plain stupid to be driving in the middle of the night in a snow storm and low on gas. This was not my kind of story, but others might like it. It was creepy and well written. I just thought the characters were stupid.
Dec 13, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
This seemed like it would have been a good book but it's way too short. I wish the author would write a sequel. I don't think I would have started this one if I knew how it was going to end. A lot left unanswered. The only reason I gave it 3 stars is because it did keep my interest.
Angie
Apr 02, 2012 Angie rated it did not like it
Not a fan of short stories , I admit - BUT why in the hell did I read this ? Could somebody tell me ? The story left me without a clue ...
Gina
Dec 22, 2011 Gina rated it liked it
Short horror story about a family running out of gas in a nighttime blizzard in Colorado. For a short story it was pretty good. 3 stars!
SHARON SONES
Mar 22, 2015 SHARON SONES rated it really liked it
Fast

Too short! Pulled me in fast.. would keep reading if there was more to read. Will remember the authors name.
~Charmer~the 1-click addict
Free short read. Very creepy.
Susan Sevcik
Jan 04, 2012 Susan Sevcik rated it liked it
Very short story, but good.
Olivia Teese
I was quite curious about if "they" were human beings or some ravenous supernatural creatures.
Joyce
Jun 19, 2012 Joyce rated it really liked it
Wanted more.............
Thomas
Oct 02, 2011 Thomas rated it it was amazing
Good horror story full of suspense.
Gapeach
Jun 04, 2012 Gapeach rated it really liked it
Want more!
Abby Miller
Apr 23, 2012 Abby Miller rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Vivid, though I wish the story would have been longer.
KL
Dec 09, 2016 KL rated it liked it
Not bad...

Needs some editing. Liked the story, though. I always think of The Shining when I read a story set in the snowbound Rockies. The setting has its own creep factor built in. Then add being stranded along a snowy road, it ups the creep even more.
Once the story escalated, it didn't let up, though I wouldn't have minded if the tension had been upped a little more before the big finale.
Jakob Hessius
Dec 05, 2016 Jakob Hessius rated it it was ok
Nah, this didn't really do it for me. We never get to know who "they" are, and that's the only reason to read this story. What do "they" do/want, and what/who are they! Neither of these questions were answered!
  • Forever
  • Derelict
  • The Boy in the Lot
  • Monster in the Mirror
  • Don't Need No Water
  • Dust
  • The Number 121 to Pennsylvania and Others
  • Moorehead Manor (Moorehead Manor #1)
  • Jailbreak (Hungry, #0.5)
  • Underneath: Short Tales of Horror and the Supernatural
  • The Night Walk Men (The Night Walk Men, #1)
  • The Upper Berth