Start by marking “Steinbeck in Vietnam: Dispatches from the War” as Want to Read:
Steinbeck in Vietnam: Dispatches from the War

Steinbeck in Vietnam: Dispatches from the War

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Although his career continued for almost three decades after the 1939 publication of The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck is still most closely associated with his Depression-era works of social struggle. But from Pearl Harbor on, he often wrote passionate accounts of America's wars based on his own firsthand experience. Vietnam was no exception.

Thomas E. Barden's "Steinbec
Published March 29th 2012 by University of Virginia Press (first published March 19th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Steinbeck in Vietnam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steinbeck in Vietnam

David
A grippingly personal compilation of Steinbeck's Vietnam war correspondence, "Steinbeck in Vietnam" is just as personably bookended by Thomas Barden's veteran prose. I hope these dispatches help those of my Iraq/Afghan generation of veterans, as much as Steinbeck's missals to Alicia connect with Barden's Vietnam generation. This is a good read across generations. My thanks to Thomas Barden for bringing these to light in a caring way.
Nancy Hartney
Steinbeck must be commended for his efforts to report the VN war. He travelled to the country as a hawk, and by the time he left, a dove. He never seemed able to make the leap from his fictionalized "The Moon is Down" to the U.S. role in Viet Nam and the American soldier's occupation thereof.
Art
still digesting.
PennsyLady
"...because I feel half informed, I am going to South Vietnam to see with my own eyes and to hear with my own ears"
from December 10,1966 New York essay.

Between Dec 1966 and May 1967, Steinbeck wrote a second series of columns forNewsday, also called Letters To Alicia.
Called such, they were a tribute to Alicia Patterson Guggenheim. (the recently deceased editor who had overseen its
rise to prominence.)
Drawn from various archives, they are the political and personal essays of Steinbeck as war corre
William Trently
I was surprised Steinbeck was a friend and admirer of LBJ. The author of Cannery Row and The Grapes of Wrath supported this war because "the U.S. was defending a weak and oppressed people" and because "our actions, he hoped, would be the moral redemption of the nation" (he had felt a decline in America's moral values). The longer he stayed in Vietnam, the more he realized this war could not be won. The editor's chat with the colonel on the final page is a great ending to this book.
K.H.
Perhaps not for everyone - but perhaps it should be.

Fans of the author will find much to like in this simply because it's Steinbeck being Steinbeck - sadly for the last time. Those interested in the Vietnam War will be treated with a unique perspective of both what it was like in its early stages by someone who was there and the politics surrounding it (well, Steinbeck's politics at the time anyways.)

This an important book and Thomas E. Barden deserves a lot of thanks for putting it together an
David Ward
Steinbeck in Vietnam: Dispatches From the War by Thomas E. Barden (University of Virginia Press 2012) (959.70433). Yes, it's that very Steinbeck, who was in his sixties in the 1960's and was somehow enticed to go to Vietnam as an observer/war correspondent with his wife in tow. I love Steinbeck's novels; I think that both The Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men are brilliant. However, I was not at all impressed by Steinbeck in Vietnam; something is simply "off" about this work. Perhaps his energ ...more
Tanya
I got this from the library, and I think I'll have to purchase my own copy, as it works better as the kind of book to check in on intermittently rather than reading cover to cover. A little surprising, as expected (oddly enough), since Steinbeck often spoke in favor of the war despite his years of writing as a liberal hero. But the writing is absolutely perfect, allowing his slightly curmudgeonly notions to sneak into his traditional, gritty style. I laughed out loud quite a few times as he desc ...more
Mary
I read the Steinbeck dispatches from WWII and loved them for the way they illuminated aspects of the war that I had never read about before, and was hoping for more of the same from this book. Unfortunately, Steinbeck's need to justify the war dominates these dispatches, and they lose the anecdotal, behind-the-scenes element that animated the WWII collection. I read this book hoping to learn more about the Vietnam War, and finished it knowing not much more than I did when I started.
Aaron
Steinbeck was commissioned to write a series of dispatches from Vietnam for a newspaper (I forget which.) For the most part they are breezy observations from all around Vietnam and SE Asia. One surprise was the barely disguised contempt that Steinbeck held for the hippy war protestors whom he saw as lazy, spoiled, and ignorant from the safety of their draft-deferments. This was surprising coming from a so-called lefty and champion of the oppressed.
Raymond Rusinak

Great read but then again Steinbeck is probably one of my favorite authors. Very interesting hearing quite a different point of view towards this most divisive conflict. Can be a bit repetitive but that is mostly due to the nature of the original publication in a daily newspaper. The geographic descriptions are nothing short of Steinbeckian.
Marcia Chapman
Interesting look at an important period in our history, keeping in mind all the authors biases. But reminds us of the whole story.
Adam
Interesting if you're a real fan of Steinbeck and his writing style. More of a personal take on the tours throughout Vietnam.
Nancy
Absolutely fascinating.
Laurel
Laurel marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Celeste
Celeste marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Simon Koenig
Simon Koenig marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Doug
Doug marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
John Steinbeck III was an American writer. He wrote the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Grapes of Wrath, published in 1939 and the novella Of Mice and Men, published in 1937. In all, he wrote twenty-five books, including sixteen novels, six non-fiction books and several collections of short stories.

In 1962 Steinbeck received the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Steinbeck grew up in the Salinas Valley
More about John Steinbeck...
Of Mice and Men The Grapes of Wrath East of Eden The Pearl Cannery Row